New Convoy C8 – Clearly better

1530 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1739
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

So a C8 with firefly mode? Well that’s the one thing I felt it missed to be a true GP light! Excelent.

Now, I wonder if I could get a variant from Simon with a fixed mode 2 for the UI (no offense to our magnificent ToyKeeper, but I don’t want to use a torch that I need a flowchart to navigate, I already feel lost and in need to check a guide just to adjust the treadmill’s belt at home and that’s only a matter of which of the two screws to turn in what direction Facepalm )

Nice work guys, I’m an engineer and this makes my brain hurt just from looking at it! Sick

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9630
Location: Charente France

Jack just look at the flowchart to set it up in the modes ypi want and be done with it Wink

JasonJ
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 05/12/2014 - 12:00
Posts: 359
Location: Bay City, MI

So about $20 even with 15% discount for an XPL-HI equipped C8, with AR lens, emitter on copper? Uh, SOLD. Can’t believe some people are wanting more $$$ off… just buy the dang light. If $20 vs $17 kills ya… well… I don’t know what to tell you. Sorry man.

If anyone needs to put things in perspective, head over to CPF and check out their supporting vendors/manufacturers, and when you get tired of paying $80-100 MINIMUM for some of those custom-request lights… maybe then a $3 difference up to $20 for a good GP light will seem like “budget” again.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Jack Kellar wrote:
So a C8 with firefly mode? Well that’s the one thing I felt it missed to be a true GP light! Excelent.

Now, I wonder if I could get a variant from Simon with a fixed mode 2 for the UI (no offense to our magnificent ToyKeeper, but I don’t want to use a torch that I need a flowchart to navigate, I already feel lost and in need to check a guide just to adjust the treadmill’s belt at home and that’s only a matter of which of the two screws to turn in what direction Facepalm )

Nice work guys, I’m an engineer and this makes my brain hurt just from looking at it! Sick


There’s no way to do that with this setup that I’m aware of. I totally understand being intimidated by the UI and it’s description but it really is easier than it looks on paper. I’ve been using the new Convoy (Biscotti) firmware for several days now and I’m very happy with it.

When I ordered my first BLF A6 I was so intimidated by the UI that I didn’t try touching the programming side of it for a month. I just left it in the mode group it shipped in because I was afraid I would mess it up. Once I took a few minutes to read the instructions and try programming it, I found it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Keep in mind you’ll only have to program it once to get the mode group you want.

In your case, with group 2 being your favorite, this is all you have to do:

  1. Turn the light on.
  2. Tap (half-press) the switch 10+ times in quick succession until it stops flashing. After several seconds it will flash once followed by a “flickering”.
  3. Tap it again now during this “flickering” following the single flash. Now it will flash once followed by maybe a 3 second pause then it will flash twice and pause again.
  4. Fully click the switch now during this pause after two flashes.

That’s it. All done. Your light is now set in mode group 2. You can keep it that way forever if you like. Of course once you’ve successfully set your chosen mode you’ll probably find that you want to see what the other groups are like. Smile

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9630
Location: Charente France

Exactly Jack, what J-Dub74 says!
I had the exact same thing with the Kronos set.
But now after setting them up how I like I do not need to enter config mode at all.

pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

The Miller wrote:
Exactly Jack, what J-Dub74 says!
I had the exact same thing with the Kronos set.

Someone should find and link Dale’s demo video of bistro. Seeing it actually happen really shows how simple it is and inspires confidence.

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

tech
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 15:04
Posts: 374

there are a few lights out there that have a “mode lock”, but as far as I know that is a physical lock, i.e. soldering a bridge after setting a group. so it would either be such a driver or a firmware with only the designated group?

Have been using Biscotti since release now and I never accidentally got into another mode group – so that should be fine for now. Toykeeper did an amazing job here.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

pilotdog68 wrote:
The Miller wrote:
Exactly Jack, what J-Dub74 says!
I had the exact same thing with the Kronos set.

Someone should find and link Dale’s demo video of bistro. Seeing it actually happen really shows how simple it is and inspires confidence.

Good idea PD. It helped me a lot and as Bistro is also written by ToyKeeper there are plenty of similarities.

Here you go:

Dale’s Bistro UI video

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1739
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

J-Dub74 wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
So a C8 with firefly mode? Well that’s the one thing I felt it missed to be a true GP light! Excelent.

Now, I wonder if I could get a variant from Simon with a fixed mode 2 for the UI (no offense to our magnificent ToyKeeper, but I don’t want to use a torch that I need a flowchart to navigate, I already feel lost and in need to check a guide just to adjust the treadmill’s belt at home and that’s only a matter of which of the two screws to turn in what direction Facepalm )

Nice work guys, I’m an engineer and this makes my brain hurt just from looking at it! Sick


There’s no way to do that with this setup that I’m aware of. I totally understand being intimidated by the UI and it’s description but it really is easier than it looks on paper. I’ve been using the new Convoy (Biscotti) firmware for several days now and I’m very happy with it.

When I ordered my first BLF A6 I was so intimidated by the UI that I didn’t try touching the programming side of it for a month. I just left it in the mode group it shipped in because I was afraid I would mess it up. Once I took a few minutes to read the instructions and try programming it, I found it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Keep in mind you’ll only have to program it once to get the mode group you want.

In your case, with group 2 being your favorite, this is all you have to do:

  1. Turn the light on.
  2. Tap (half-press) the switch 10+ times in quick succession until it stops flashing. After several seconds it will flash once followed by a “flickering”.
  3. Tap it again now during this “flickering” following the single flash. Now it will flash once followed by maybe a 3 second pause then it will flash twice and pause again.
  4. Fully click the switch now during this pause after two flashes.

That’s it. All done. Your light is now set in mode group 2. You can keep it that way forever if you like. Of course once you’ve successfully set your chosen mode you’ll probably find that you want to see what the other groups are like. Smile

Hah, very convincing argument Crown

Thanks, everyone!

djburkes
djburkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 03/16/2015 - 11:00
Posts: 1829
Location: Arkansas

J-Dub74…is Simon going to release the clear C8 in host form?

BrianK
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 06/23/2016 - 08:14
Posts: 1077
Location: Central Maine, USA

That’s pretty simple.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 3 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9983
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Jack Kellar wrote:
So a C8 with firefly mode?

Ish. Not really. The 0.1% mode is generally around a lumen, while a true firefly mode is typically under 0.1 lumens. It’s bright enough I wouldn’t call it a firefly mode and wouldn’t really call it a moon mode either. It’s just a “low low”.

Jack Kellar wrote:
flowchart… I’m an engineer and this makes my brain hurt just from looking at it!

Sorry, I didn’t make a flowchart this time because the UI is so simple it’s hard to put in chart form. The important part is mostly just the table of mode groups.

It’s similar to bistro, but simpler. So, here’s the UI for bistro…

For biscotti, remove the green part. Remove the dotted lines. Remove the middle section going down from “Lvl 1”. Remove all but two menu items (mode group and mode memory, in that order). Then add a table of 12 mode groups. So, in the end, it’s a circle with arrows pointing only one way. Plus a spiral, a very short menu, and a list of mode groups. But after the initial setup it’s basically just a circle (with the option to shortcut back to the first mode at any time with a long press). Because entering config mode requires going around the circle fast enough to break out, and that’s unlikely to happen during regular use.

BrianK
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 06/23/2016 - 08:14
Posts: 1077
Location: Central Maine, USA

And just when I thought I understood it to be simple.

Is there a video?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20324
Location: Heart of Texas

LOL, TK, whachoobeendrinking?

It’s easy. I can do it. If I can do it, it’s gotta be easy, right?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8536
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Odd I didn’t see this sooner.

The UI appears to be closer to the A6 firmware from what I can tell, except with reverse modes removed and more mode groups?

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 3 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9983
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

BrianK wrote:
And just when I thought I understood it to be simple.

It’s much easier than it looks.

Normal usage:

  • Fully click and release the button to turn the light on or off.
  • Give the button a quick light tap to go to the next mode.

If you have memory turned off (which is default), you can also do this:

  • Do a longer press to go back to the first mode.

That’s all.

——

If you want to change the configuration, it’s like J-Dub74 described.

  1. Give the button several quick light taps in a row (10+ times) until the light stops turning on.
  2. Wait a moment. The light should blink once, then “buzz”. Then it should blink twice then “buzz”.
  3. Click during the first buzz if you want to change the mode group. Or click during the second buzz to turn memory on or off.
  4. If you told it to change the mode group, it will come on in a special mode where it blinks 12 times very slowly, representing the 12 mode groups. Click after the number you want. For example, to select group 5, wait for it to blink 5 times then turn it off.

For most people, after setting it up the first time you can forget about all the config stuff. Then just treat it as a pretty normal light with your choice of modes.

The defaults (mode group 1, no memory) are probably best on a smaller EDC light. Since the C8 is more of a thrower though, I expect a lot of people will probably want to enable memory, or use a high-to-low mode group, or disable the lowest mode.

BrianK
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 06/23/2016 - 08:14
Posts: 1077
Location: Central Maine, USA

Thanks TK. Is there a thread that describes how to read a light flow chart ? When you describe it I understand it, when I look at the chart it looks like something from one of VanGogh’s nightmares.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

BrianK wrote:
Thanks TK. Is there a thread that describes how to read a light flow chart ? When you describe it I understand it, when I look at the chart it looks like something from one of VanGogh’s nightmares.

THANK YOU for mentioning VanGogh! Smile

I did not completely understand Bistro just based on the UI diagram as it seems so complex but as soon as I saw it knew I wanted it on a t-shirt or printed poster size for my wall where I would display it proudly.

I know ToyKeeper disagrees with me on this point but her diagrams are pure art in my opinion and nobody will convince me otherwise. Perhaps it is not so to everyone but I love it. Seeing such geeky greatness displayed as flowing lines and curves and knowing that it was a bit of a puzzle until I understood how it worked left me in awe. I still am. Smile

Wildcat
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2016 - 00:34
Posts: 191
Location: Russia, Siberia

I installed this firmware in my flashlights and IMO it has a very simple and useful UI.
10+ clicks – 1 flash and fuzz – then click and select group.
10+ clicks – 1 flash and fuzz, 2 flashes and fuzz – then click to on/off memory mode.
That’s all. You have to make it ones and you never forget this.

Tony Rex
Tony Rex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 07/25/2016 - 10:51
Posts: 41
Location: Melbourne, Australia
GrayEd61 wrote:
Just ordered one using the method described above to get the BLF discount and use PayPal. The transaction was smooth and Simon is quite responsive and patient. For a non modding kind of guy this light is nearly perfect for a mid-range thrower. Some of its use will be for a bike light and the 50% biking strobe is a stroke of genius. All this in a package just over $20.00 delivered? We live in amazing times. Thank you to ToyKeeper, J-Dub74 and Simon. Ed

I’d like to thank them too, especially Simon.

But I suspect he must have been swamped with irregular orders, so communication has been sparse. And I guess ordering almost ten different items didn’t help either.

GrayEd61, did you send PayPal to EDITED? I sent payment to that address but received no confirmation just yet. That’s still his email right? Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: The email in this thread http://budgetlightforum.com/node/23225 is not his paypal email. You need to ask him for an invoice and tell him your email, or ask him his paypal email. Pardon the bureaucracy, read a bit further and you’ll find out why.

erik
erik's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/10/2015 - 05:00
Posts: 152
Location: italy

I would like to thank J-Dub & ToyKeeper for the wonderful work

Techno
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2016 - 02:07
Posts: 61
Location: S
Wildcat wrote:
I installed this firmware in my flashlights and IMO it has a very simple and useful UI. 10+ clicks – 1 flash and fuzz – then click and select group. 10+ clicks – 1 flash and fuzz, 2 flashes and fuzz – then click to on/off memory mode. That’s all. You have to make it ones and you never forget this.

How do I flash the new firmware on an existing S2+? Any soldering required?

thanks, buddy.

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9630
Location: Charente France

J-Dub74 wrote:
BrianK wrote:
Thanks TK. Is there a thread that describes how to read a light flow chart ? When you describe it I understand it, when I look at the chart it looks like something from one of VanGogh’s nightmares.

THANK YOU for mentioning VanGogh! Smile

I did not completely understand Bistro just based on the UI diagram as it seems so complex but as soon as I saw it knew I wanted it on a t-shirt or printed poster size for my wall where I would display it proudly.

I know ToyKeeper disagrees with me on this point but her diagrams are pure art in my opinion and nobody will convince me otherwise. Perhaps it is not so to everyone but I love it. Seeing such geeky greatness displayed as flowing lines and curves and knowing that it was a bit of a puzzle until I understood how it worked left me in awe. I still am. Smile

And once more I agree completely!

And indeed it was Dales video showing the way for Bistro for me.

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 577

I’ve just ordered one from Simon’s store!

Woytas
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/08/2016 - 01:02
Posts: 308
Location: Poland

ToyKeeper, J-Dub – also big thanks from my side! Smile
The only con that Convoy had were the drivers…and now those looks perfect – already ordered.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7671
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Tony Rex, please don’t post other people’s emails in a public forum!

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Tony Rex
Tony Rex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 07/25/2016 - 10:51
Posts: 41
Location: Melbourne, Australia
DavidEF wrote:
Tony Rex, please don’t post other people’s emails in a public forum!

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/23225

Tell that to the owner then.

Btw I just found out that email is not his current and I had to open a PayPal dispute just to get the wrong payment back.

quetzalcoatl
quetzalcoatl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 04/25/2016 - 05:17
Posts: 540
Location: Northern county

Personal problems in the new C8 thread???? Facepalm

Tony Rex
Tony Rex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 07/25/2016 - 10:51
Posts: 41
Location: Melbourne, Australia
quetzalcoatl wrote:
Personal problems in the new C8 thread???? Facepalm

I was trying to get the new C8 and support Simon.

Get things smoother for him and I hope help others as well.

Sorry to derail. I’ll shut up now.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7671
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
Tony Rex wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
Tony Rex, please don’t post other people’s emails in a public forum!

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/23225

Tell that to the owner then.

Btw I just found out that email is not his current and I had to open a PayPal dispute just to get the wrong payment back.


I guess you missed the part where I said “…other people’s email…” If he wants to post his own email online for all the world to see, that’s his deal. If he gave you permission to post his email online for all the world to see, that’s his deal. If you post his email online for all the world to see, without permission from him, that’s bad form. Does nobody know any etiquette at all any more? Facepalm

By the way, I don’t know this, but it would be easy to speculate that the reason that email is no longer current might be because he posted it online for all the world to see. Just because this is a friendly forum, doesn’t mean that no baddies are watching here…

Edit: Wow! I’m getting good at this! I knew there’d be a Rude! point waiting for me when I got back! LOL Apparently, it’s rude to ask someone to be courteous. Cool Thumbs Up

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Pages