Nitecore Tip: SEVERE Parasitic Drain in Lock-Out Mode !!

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3263
Location: USA, Michigan

It can also be confusing thinking Nitecore owns NitecoreStore, since the website has the look and feel of Nitecore’s website. I emailed them and asked if they were owned by Nitecore, and they said were not. Just a US distributor who sells direct to the public.

Ozythemandias
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 09/21/2016 - 08:33
Posts: 297

Neither the first version nor the current version blinks while in lockout mode afaik. Hitting the mode selector button while light is off but not locked out will display battery level, which incidentally is still at >50% on my v2 unit after being locked out for almost 2 weeks now, and some actual use.

Nitecore store apparently has a brilliant marketing strategy because I’ve seen a number of commenters referring to it as the actual manufacturer and saying that they “bought it from Nitecore themself” when referring to the nitecorestore.com preorder.

Edit: corrected the bit about battery indicator

 

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3263
Location: USA, Michigan
Ozythemandias wrote:
Nitecore store apparently has a brilliant marketing strategy because I’ve seen a number of commenters referring to it as the actual manufacturer and saying that they “bought it from Nitecore themself” when referring to the nitecorestore.com preorder.

Haha, definitely brilliant marketing. They even say in the About Us, Nitecore Store is a division of Lumen Tanctical LLC And yes, they spelled “tactical” wrong..lol

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2223
Location: Crowdifornia
Trevi_lux wrote:
In my V1 when light is locked if I touch one of the switch, the indicator of battery blink one time. I can suposse in the new V.2 this inidcator not blink when touch one swicht in locked mode.

You are correct! There is confirmation here that the V1 will blink*2016*-New-Nitecore-TIP&p=4991563&viewfull=1#post4991563, and V2 does not have Red Blink when touching the buttons while locked.

Ozythemandias
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 09/21/2016 - 08:33
Posts: 297
jon_slider wrote:
Trevi_lux wrote:
In my V1 when light is locked if I touch one of the switch, the indicator of battery blink one time. I can suposse in the new V.2 this inidcator not blink when touch one swicht in locked mode.

You are correct! There is confirmation here that the V1 will blink*2016*-New-Nitecore-TIP&p=4991563&viewfull=1#post4991563, and V2 does not have Red Blink when touching the buttons while locked.

Good to know, I didnt have my V1 to test

 

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2223
Location: Crowdifornia

News Flash, the Tip uses PWM*2016*-New-Nitecore-TIP&p=4992640&viewfull=1#post4992640

StandardBattery
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/02/2016 - 08:51
Posts: 168
Location: MA, USA

At least one person did get a light with the access-hole cut, but the warning blink still exists in lockout. So unknown if they screwed up again and just forgot to program the light, or the reprogram did not take and with no QC who’s to notice, or they had a couple revisions before settling on the final revision without the warning blink. The no warning blink is going to have lots of non-flashaholics thinking their light is dead if the lockout gets triggered accidentally which is pretty easy. Even plugging it into the charger does not release the lockout. It looks to me like just one more bad decision trying to rush out a product in time for the holidays. Hopefully most people will figure it out if it happens to them, or call support, or find a flashlight forum before they throw it out.

StandardBattery
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 6 days ago
Joined: 11/02/2016 - 08:51
Posts: 168
Location: MA, USA

Ozythemandias wrote:
Neither the first version nor the current version blinks while in lockout mode afaik. …

That is not correct. The original ones flashed the led if you pressed either button while the light was in lockout.
jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2223
Location: Crowdifornia

jon_slider wrote:
News Flash, the Tip uses PWM*2016*-New-Nitecore-TIP&p=4992640&viewfull=1#post4992640

Correction, the TIP uses Pulses that do not drop to Zero, so technically the light is not using Pure PWM. otoh, the TIP is NOT using Constant Current.

Ive learned that PWM is a technical term that defines the pulses as dropping to full OFF between flashes. But there are hybrid pulsed circuits that fluctuate the current without going all the way to Zero. This is the strategy that HDS, Zebralight, Eagletac, and the Tip use. They are not true PWM circuits, but again, they are also NOT true Constant Current Circuits.

regarding the lockout drain, I believe it has been fixed, and users can confirm if the light they received has the lockout drain fixed, by confirming it does not produce a red flash when the buttons are touched while in lockout. This is a good thing. imo, when a light is in lockout, it should not flash, as that would cause battery drain. (although the lockout drain problem was there even if the light was just sitting on a nightstand, without the buttons being touched.. but this has been fixed)

otoh, the Pulsed circuit remains, the Tip is still Not a Constant Current light, even though technically it is not a Pure PWM light either.

cloggy
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 07/08/2012 - 07:04
Posts: 150
Location: Brabourne Lees, UK

This is strange- I ordered the CRI version from Bang Good a few weeks ago. Although it was shown as in stock on the order page, after I placed the order it was shown in the order details as on back order. I wasn’t too bothered by this as I assumed that they may be waiting for the upgraded version.
Sure enough when it arrived the packaging was for the 240 lumens version (V1 is apparently 220 lumens ) and the blister pack had a hole for the usb plug to fit through- both apparently signs of the upgraded version. However when the light is locked out and either button pressed a brief red flash occurs.
Do you think that the cunning supplier has just repackaged a V1 light?
I will leave it on lockout for a few days and see what happens, then repost.
Just thought I’d add to the confusion!

cloggy

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 7487
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

Hey!

i´d say that makes no sense ... i think some units might not have been successfully upgraded? 

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

 

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3754
Location: TX

So glad I use PayPal…. Evil

Altema22
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/2016 - 15:57
Posts: 18
Location: USA

I have an early one (360 L), and just picked up the 240 lumen CRI version a few days ago. I’ll have to see if I can do a comparison. I have not had problems, but it seems the lockout mode on these lights is made for when you stuff it in your backpack, as opposed to long term storage. The light has to monitor for the key combination to unlock, and it’s only got a 500 mAh battery, so it’s almost asking for a dead battery. I’m glad they seem to have done something about it, and I’ll report back when I can do some testing between the old and new. Is there a way to tell if my CRI version is actually “new”, and not one that had been sitting around?

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2223
Location: Crowdifornia

Altema22 wrote:
Is there a way to tell if my CRI version is actually “new”, and not one that had been sitting around?

yes, but it requires that you read at least the posts on the same page you are posting..

sometimes I wonder why people show up and ask the same question over and over again, without taking the time to read what has already been discussed.

its kind of rude actually, kind of like walking into a room and asking everyone to stop what they are doing, to bring the new guy up to speed.

then again, sometimes I wonder why I think anyone would bother to read what Ive posted.. since my posts are so darn intelligent and well thought out…

I guess we all have a certain sense of entitlement, that makes us “special” Smile

welcome to the club

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California

I think Nitecore fails to distinguish between two very different modes:

Lockout — no electrical drain, accomplished by physically breaking the circuit

‘Numbutton’* — the buttons are protected from accidental bumps, in some way, e.g. by requiring both to be held simultaneously. This requires some electrical drain.

________
*Yeah, I made that up. You can shorten it to two syllables, if you prefer.

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 974
Location: Sweden

hank wrote:
I think Nitecore fails to distinguish between two very different modes:

Lockout — no electrical drain, accomplished by physically breaking the circuit

‘Numbutton’* — the buttons are protected from accidental bumps, in some way, e.g. by requiring both to be held simultaneously. This requires some electrical drain.

________
*Yeah, I made that up. You can shorten it to two syllables, if you prefer.

Never heard “numbutton” before.
What I have heard is “physical lockout” versus “electronic lockout”.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California

Yeah, “electronic lockout” still uses some electricity to watch for button presses, and requires some electrical engineering to accomplish well.

It’s my bad* pun: numb butt on
______

  • there are no good puns

adirondackdestroyer
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 08:05
Posts: 200
Location: US

I have the new version 2 Tip and put it on lockout for a week and didn’t touch it and after one week it still blinked 3 times when doing the battery test. So it’s definitely much improved from the original version.
I will say that the light hasn’t held up (as far as appearance goes) with standard keychain use. I haven’t dropped it once, but it looks pretty worn in only a couple weeks. Not a huge issue, just food for thought.

Lonelydad
Lonelydad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 01/09/2016 - 00:14
Posts: 196
Location: Western Iowa, USofA

OK, I have been watching this GB since the beginning, and my CRI is on order and due to ship Nov 20. I have to ask, why is the drain from lockout (electronic) different from the normal parasitic drain that one sees in everyday use? From what people have said, they can go a lot longer just in normal mode between charges than when using the V1 lockout mode. This really doesn’t make any sense to me. Can someone enlighten me?

You don't really need a parachute to skydive. But you DO need one if you want to skydive twice!

tenohfive
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/19/2015 - 15:39
Posts: 177
Location: United Kingdom
adirondackdestroyer wrote:
I will say that the light hasn’t held up (as far as appearance goes) with standard keychain use. I haven’t dropped it once, but it looks pretty worn in only a couple weeks. Not a huge issue, just food for thought.

I had paint coming away from the corners on mine after a day in the pocket. Finish isn’t great. If you’re worried about appearances, buy a silver Tip would be my advice.
Doesn’t bother me especially as it’s a functional thing for me rather than a looker.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California

Lonelydad — read responses in the series 9-19 and on down the page.
Follow the links in the responses to other pages giving the information.

adirondackdestroyer
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 08:05
Posts: 200
Location: US
tenohfive wrote:
adirondackdestroyer wrote:
I will say that the light hasn’t held up (as far as appearance goes) with standard keychain use. I haven’t dropped it once, but it looks pretty worn in only a couple weeks. Not a huge issue, just food for thought.

I had paint coming away from the corners on mine after a day in the pocket. Finish isn’t great. If you’re worried about appearances, buy a silver Tip would be my advice.
Doesn’t bother me especially as it’s a functional thing for me rather than a looker.

Yep, mine behaved the same way. Still functions perfectly which is all I really care about, but I figured I’d add my findings in case someone else cares about the appearance of their keychain light after prolonged use.

Altema22
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/29/2016 - 15:57
Posts: 18
Location: USA

jon_slider wrote:
Altema22 wrote:
Is there a way to tell if my CRI version is actually “new”, and not one that had been sitting around?

yes, but it requires that you read at least the posts on the same page you are posting..

sometimes I wonder why people show up and ask the same question over and over again, without taking the time to read what has already been discussed.

its kind of rude actually, kind of like walking into a room and asking everyone to stop what they are doing, to bring the new guy up to speed.

then again, sometimes I wonder why I think anyone would bother to read what Ive posted.. since my posts are so darn intelligent and well thought out…

I guess we all have a certain sense of entitlement, that makes us “special” Smile

welcome to the club

Actually, I posted from page one of this thread, not this page. Sorry for missing it though… it’s not as obvious as other aspects of this thread.

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

I got mine from the original batch from Illumination supply. Yes it does have the excessive battery drain problem in the lockout mode, but since I put it one a long lanyard and wear it around my neck, there’s no need use that mode. Also, since it doesn’t rub up against anything abrasive, it’s still in perfect condition. That all being said, I love mine.

Boycott Nike

Lonelydad
Lonelydad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 01/09/2016 - 00:14
Posts: 196
Location: Western Iowa, USofA

hank wrote:
Lonelydad — read responses in the series 9-19 and on down the page.
Follow the links in the responses to other pages giving the information.

Thanks. Now that I have reread those posts I remember reading them the first time, but they must not have registered with me.

You don't really need a parachute to skydive. But you DO need one if you want to skydive twice!

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3754
Location: TX

Well, the NITECORE TIP V-1 has proven to be a real Lemon…

Only Led Zeppellin could have said it better…

From the 1969 Album Led Zeppelin II  “The Lemon Song” _


 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJa0Zhdxmro

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 3988

Streamer wrote:

Well, the NITECORE TIP V-1 has proven to be a real Lemon…

Only Led Zeppellin could have said it better…

From the 1969 Album Led Zeppelin II  “Squeeze my Lemon” _


 


… Who’s thinking about Donald Trump right now?

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3754
Location: TX

LOL….ummmm…I guess you are. Nothing to do with this post

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York
Streamer wrote:
LOL….ummmm…I guess you are. Nothing to do with this post

+1 That came out of left field.

BTW, The name of the tune is “The Lemon Song” I was a senior in high school when that album came out.

Boycott Nike

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3430
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Hey lads i have the Christmas edition. I love it! No lockout drain issues. The Standby current is a tad high mine read about 88 Microamps. But appears to be okay. I pulled it apart to have a look inside.

Pages