Nitecore Tip: SEVERE Parasitic Drain in Lock-Out Mode !!

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3754
Location: TX

Congrats on V2 !!

chesterqw
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 02/28/2012 - 03:06
Posts: 43
Location: Singapore

recieved the nitecore tip xmas edition from banggood.
when i lock out and press the buttons, there is no light, so i assume this is V2?

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13035
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

chesterqw wrote:

when i lock out and press the buttons, there is no light, so i assume this is V2?

As far as I know, you are assuming correctly.  ;)

chesterqw
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 02/28/2012 - 03:06
Posts: 43
Location: Singapore
raccoon city wrote:

chesterqw wrote:

when i lock out and press the buttons, there is no light, so i assume this is V2?


As far as I know, you are assuming correctly.  ;)

Nice.
The light is adorable.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2224
Location: Crowdifornia

PSA: The TIP CRI is on sale at:
Battery Junction – $26.12 for a couple more days – no code needed.
Gearbest – $22.95 using their CPF code in the Dealer’s section of CPF.
illumn: Nitecore Tip USB Rechargeable Keychain Light 220 Lumens (CRI 5000K) code blacknovember brings it to $24.49

sealover1
sealover1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2017 - 06:34
Posts: 7
Location: england/devon

I bought the Nitecore TIP XP-G2 Cool White just after Christmas (2016) as I was told this vir had the lock out fix and went to use it when I come to going down some dark steps and nothing no power so the fix has not been sorted yet, such a shame as they are a great little light when they do work, just rang NC united kingdom to ask for a refund, its not good to me if it don’t work when you need it.

can anyone recommend a good key light that’s nearly as good maybe that works please?. Thanks
Hobo
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 07:23
Posts: 392
Location: Germany

sealover1 wrote:
I bought the Nitecore TIP XP-G2 Cool White just after Christmas (2016) as I was told this vir had the lock out fix and went to use it when I come to going down some dark steps and nothing no power so the fix has not been sorted yet, such a shame as they are a great little light when they do work, just rang NC united kingdom to ask for a refund, its not good to me if it don’t work when you need it. can anyone recommend a good key light that’s nearly as good maybe that works please?. Thanks

You might want to check out the Manker LAD, if you don’t mind the advanced UI.

8) Lube Threads Everyday 8)

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

sealover1 wrote:
I bought the Nitecore TIP XP-G2 Cool White just after Christmas (2016) as I was told this vir had the lock out fix and went to use it when I come to going down some dark steps and nothing no power so the fix has not been sorted yet, such a shame as they are a great little light when they do work, just rang NC united kingdom to ask for a refund, its not good to me if it don’t work when you need it. can anyone recommend a good key light that’s nearly as good maybe that works please?. Thanks
Hi ‘sealover1’, welcome to BLF. Smile Sorry for your trouble. Sad

Did you have it in Lock Out Mode previously to using it? Just curious.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

sealover1
sealover1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2017 - 06:34
Posts: 7
Location: england/devon

teacher wrote:
sealover1 wrote:
I bought the Nitecore TIP XP-G2 Cool White just after Christmas (2016) as I was told this vir had the lock out fix and went to use it when I come to going down some dark steps and nothing no power so the fix has not been sorted yet, such a shame as they are a great little light when they do work, just rang NC united kingdom to ask for a refund, its not good to me if it don’t work when you need it. can anyone recommend a good key light that’s nearly as good maybe that works please?. Thanks
Hi ‘sealover1’, welcome to BLF. Smile Sorry for your trouble. Sad

Did you have it in Lock Out Mode previously to using it? Just curious.

Yes I was always putting it into lock out mode so I never ran it down, I have since rang nitecore uk and they have said that the power drain had been fixed in this model and it may just be a faulty light so he said could I send it back for a replacement which I’m going to do, wish I had used paypal now to be honest instead of ringing them and paying cuz I now have to pay for return postage which I will be complaining about when I send it back.

the surefire sidekick 300 lumen keychain looks nice with a bit longer battery life but there £100 in the UK which is a $125 I like it but I don’t think a key chain torch is worth that much they can be bought far cheaper in the usa, seen them for around $75 which is only £60

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

sealover1 wrote:
teacher wrote:
Did you have it in Lock Out Mode previously to using it? Just curious.
Yes I was always putting it into lock out mode so I never ran it down, I have since rang nitecore uk and they have said that the power drain had been fixed in this model and it may just be a faulty light so he said could I send it back for a replacement which I’m going to do, wish I had used paypal now to be honest instead of ringing them and paying cuz I now have to pay for return postage which I will be complaining about when I send it back.

the surefire sidekick 300 lumen keychain looks nice with a bit longer battery life but there £100 in the UK which is a $125 I like it but I don’t think a key chain torch is worth that much they can be bought far cheaper in the usa, seen them for around $75 which is only £60

OK, thanks for the info. I hope it works out well for you cause these TIP’s are cool little lights. I am loving mine. Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

sealover1
sealover1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2017 - 06:34
Posts: 7
Location: england/devon

yea they are lovely little lights I,m hoping mine was a one off faulty one, I’m starting to get into my touches lately Smile

Tinderbox UK
Tinderbox UK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/26/2016 - 06:17
Posts: 309
Location: England, United Kingdom

 Is the charging port micro-usb waterproof as in photo`s i have seen it does not have a cover and is covered in water spray in some photo`s

 

John.

Maha C9000 – LaCrosse BC-900 – Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 – Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6 LiitoKala Lii-100 – Cozypony 24W Solar Panel – Soshine H4 – Soshine T2 – Soshine E4S

sealover1
sealover1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2017 - 06:34
Posts: 7
Location: england/devon
Tinderbox UK wrote:

 Is the charging port micro-usb waterproof as in photo`s i have seen it does not have a cover and is covered in water spray in some photo`s


 


John.

it might be ok in a bit of very light rain as long as it never went into the charging port but if I’m honest I agree with you on that, cant see how they can claim this

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2224
Location: Crowdifornia

sealover1 wrote:
surefire sidekick

that light has very obvious PWM, imo the TIP or LAD are possibly better options (they do not have obvious PWM)

I have a Manker LAD with Nichia 219c. I like it and would buy it again. Im testing before giving to a college student that is not into flashlights or battery managemet. The LAD is IMPOSSIBLE to activate by accident, no lockout needed. It starts on a useful first mode with a single click.

The red light mode works fine for a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I set red as a mode memory at bedtime.

LAD has strobe modes if you can figure out how to double click fast enough, (I find it almost impossible).
The LAD works great as a simple keychain light, and comes with the charging cord (Tip does not)

here is a video about the LAD (not mine). the link goes to the discussion about accidental activation.. something the TIP has a problem with (requiring the use of lockout)
LAD, no Accidental Activation

imo, the TIP 2 button interface is more complex than the 1 button LAD
I chose not to buy the TIP due to the 2 protruding buttons that are notorious for false activation. There are even reports of accidental unlocking. imo the TIP has a lot of nice features, its just not a good match for a pocket full of keys..

The LAD has a charging port cover, it is flimsy and I broke it in the first hour, which left a large hole, in addition to the charging port, that would surely let water in if I was to drop the light in a glass of water. I have no plans to use the lad under water.

The LAD is way more compact, and much less noticeable in the watch pocket of my jeans, than my AAA light

my impressions of the LAD

sealover1
sealover1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2017 - 06:34
Posts: 7
Location: england/devon

sorry whats PWM??

thanks for the info will check them out

don’t seem to be for sale in the uk?

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California
jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2224
Location: Crowdifornia

sealover1 wrote:
sorry whats PWM??

PWM means the light is turning on and off really quickly. Most people dont notice, some people are sensitive to it (its a kind of strobe).

here is an example in video (the vertical “scan” lines)
https://youtu.be/ffSm8NnOf38

another much more obvious example:

waving the light shows dots on a PWM source

sealover1
sealover1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2017 - 06:34
Posts: 7
Location: england/devon

oh right I never knew that cheers Smile

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California

How hard would it be to swap the LAD’s red tophat emitters for a different color?
I’m a big fan of amber/orange, which ought to take the same voltage/current as red emitters.
Anyone got a disassembly discussion for that?

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2725
Location: USA

Sorry for digging up an older thread, but am I reading it correctly that this excessive parasitic drain in lock-out mode has been fixed in the current crop of Nitecore Tip lights being sold by GearBest and the like?

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1405
Location: Germany

The short answer is yes.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1315
Location: Manila, Philippines

I have the Nitecore TIP CRI 2017 edition (Nichia). It doesn’t appear to have a lockout mode.

When I arrived the package a few days ago, it was totally dead, won’t power on. I thought it was a DoA, but then I charged it and it appears to work. I notice that it seems to drain quite fast. So I did a more controlled test.

Yesterday morning, I fully charged it (took about 2 hours to full charge). Tested the battery-check mode, and it has 3 flashes. It can light up in Turbo. Didn’t use it the whole time (except did a few battery checks) About 12 hours later, in the evening, the battery check mode now comes up with 2 flashes. And another few hours later, I notice the TIP CR 2017 was flashing once by itself — doing a battery check mode indicates 1 flash. I left it at that prior to sleeping. On waking up this morning, I checked it and it’s totally dead, won’t turn on at all.

That’s some severe parasitic drain.. Not sure how to go about reporting this to Gearbest. (send pictures? videos? how does one send a short meaningful video of a parasitic drain issue?)

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 3988

d_t_a wrote:
I have the Nitecore TIP CRI 2017 edition (Nichia). It doesn’t appear to have a lockout mode.

When I arrived the package a few days ago, it was totally dead, won’t power on. I thought it was a DoA, but then I charged it and it appears to work. I notice that it seems to drain quite fast. So I did a more controlled test.

Yesterday morning, I fully charged it (took about 2 hours to full charge). Tested the battery-check mode, and it has 3 flashes. It can light up in Turbo. Didn’t use it the whole time (except did a few battery checks) About 12 hours later, in the evening, the battery check mode now comes up with 2 flashes. And another few hours later, I notice the TIP CR 2017 was flashing once by itself — doing a battery check mode indicates 1 flash. I left it at that prior to sleeping. On waking up this morning, I checked it and it’s totally dead, won’t turn on at all.

That’s some severe parasitic drain.. Not sure how to go about reporting this to Gearbest. (send pictures? videos? how does one send a short meaningful video of a parasitic drain issue?)

At least report the problem ASAP to Gearbest because of DOA warranty period. I would consult with them how to show the problem.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California

‘oogle “nitecore parasitic drain’ and you’ll find it much discussed, including here at BLF in the past

Interesting: NITECORE TIP Parasitic Drain Thread …
budgetlightforum.com ‘ Forums ‘ LED Flashlights ‘ LED Flashlights – General Info

Sep 17, 2016 – 31 posts – ‎9 authors

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 3988

hank wrote:
‘oogle “nitecore parasitic drain’ and you’ll find it much discussed, including here at BLF in the past

Interesting: NITECORE TIP Parasitic Drain Thread …
budgetlightforum.com ‘ Forums ‘ LED Flashlights ‘ LED Flashlights – General Info

Sep 17, 2016 – 31 posts – ‎9 authors

That was the initial batch of TIP lights that had bad parasitic drain. The problem was solved long time ago, and it’s the first time I read about parasitic drain issues with the 2017 TIP (with clip).

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

hIKARInoob wrote:
hank wrote:
‘oogle “nitecore parasitic drain’ and you’ll find it much discussed, including here at BLF in the past

Interesting: NITECORE TIP Parasitic Drain Thread …
budgetlightforum.com ‘ Forums ‘ LED Flashlights ‘ LED Flashlights – General Info

Sep 17, 2016 – 31 posts – ‎9 authors

That was the initial batch of TIP lights that had bad parasitic drain. The problem was solved long time ago, and it’s the first time I read about parasitic drain issues with the 2017 TIP (with clip).
Exactly hIKARInoob….. Thumbs Up …. The info posted above is extremely out of date. It has nothing at all to do with the latest model of ‘Clips’.

d_t_a…. I would say yours has some kind of technical problem. I have a couple of the new ones (with clip) that have been sitting around at least a couple of months and they still blink 3 times when tested.

Basically no parasitic drain….. that would be of any concern whatsoever… to me anyway.

Personally… I never had any issues with the first ones either, well over a year ago.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8126
Location: Berkeley, California

First they were bad, then they were good, and now … time will tell.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2224
Location: Crowdifornia

I agree that the first batch of Tips had a battery drain problem, only when on LOCKOUT

then they got a new batch that did not have the parasitic drain on LOCKOUT

so my question is, are the new batch with Parasitic Drain, doing it only while on LOCKOUT?

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 3988

jon_slider wrote:
I agree that the first batch of Tips had a battery drain problem, only when on LOCKOUT

then they got a new batch that did not have the parasitic drain on LOCKOUT

so my question is, are the new batch with Parasitic Drain, doing it only while on LOCKOUT?

If I’m not mistaken, there is no lockout on the 2017 TIP (with clip).

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 2224
Location: Crowdifornia

this may not be accurate, but, it does say there is lockout
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/T/TIP/

otoh, the above may be for the earlier Tip
you might be right that there is no lockout in the 2017 model, I can’t find it mentioned here
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/T/TIP2017/
they only mention “standby mode”.. I don’t know what that is

Pages