Olight S Mini

283 posts / 0 new
Last post
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8597
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

mortuus wrote:
Also out of curiosity will the Rainbow pvd change colors over time like the copper version will anyone knows?

No.

PVD doesn’t change color over time. The only wear it should show is possibly chipping or scratching off. I’m not 100% sure it’s actually PVD or if it’s a heat treatment or if it’s a titanium nitride coating or if it’s rainbow anodized or what, but none of the above are things which change color over time.

MattSPL
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2012 - 09:42
Posts: 1029
Location: Ireland

ToyKeeper wrote:
MattSPL wrote:
Where did you order from?

Illumn has them.

I’ve used the S Mini Cu for a couple days now, and it’s pretty nice. It didn’t come with a diffuser cone though, and the tint is colder than I’d like.

Some differences from the S1:

  • Smaller
  • No magnet in the tailcap, but I find this is kind of nice. I don’t have to keep the tail away from electronic and/or metal objects any more, and it doesn’t constantly get stuck to things.
  • Moon can be remembered (but it still gets skipped in the ramp).
  • Moon seems a bit brighter, but I haven’t attempted to measure it yet.
  • There’s a “soft start” thing kind of like bistro, but it doesn’t usually happen. Not sure what decides if it happens or not.
  • No diffuser cone, but the old S1 cone still fits.
  • The clip goes into specially-fitted grooves which don’t allow it to rotate (unless you twist it pretty hard).

It’s really very similar though, and if I’m not paying attention I can forget which one I’m using. Mostly, I’m just glad I finally got a bare copper one, since I missed it last time. Now to see if I can make it develop a nice patina.

I ordered a bead blasted from illumin. Are they in stock now?

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4339
Location: USA

That ‘soft start’ (I like that term) may just happen in the higher modes if it’s like the S1R, which it sounds very similar.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 19323
Location: Heart of Texas

Supposed to be a PVD coating over the red copper alloy. I bought one in Rose Gold, engraved, for my wife’s birthday next month. It’s here, but sealed in the box and staying that way til the 16th. Wink

Nice big picture from goinggear, sweet little light for sure. Big Smile

Her favorite color is blue so the sky blue accents should really work. She thinks I’m not getting her anything because I got her a new Google Pixel phone and Asus Z8 tablet just this past Saturday. Not that she’s a flashaholic or anything, but this will be her 9th light. lol

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 1658
Location: Finland
unknown00101 wrote:
That ‘soft start’ (I like that term) may just happen in the higher modes if it’s like the S1R, which it sounds very similar.

Yep, it’s easily noticeable only on the highest mode with the S Mini.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8597
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

DB Custom wrote:
I bought one in Rose Gold, engraved, for my wife’s birthday next month.

When I first opened mine, it was so bright and shiny I thought I might have gotten the rose gold by mistake… but I’ve since resolved that and it has a nice aged look now. I’ll have to wait until the sun is up for decent pictures, but here’s a quick view under bathroom lighting:


MAD TM26
MAD TM26's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2013 - 05:25
Posts: 343

ToyKeeper wrote:
DB Custom wrote:
I bought one in Rose Gold, engraved, for my wife’s birthday next month.

When I first opened mine, it was so bright and shiny I thought I might have gotten the rose gold by mistake… but I’ve since resolved that and it has a nice aged look now. I’ll have to wait until the sun is up for decent pictures, but here’s a quick view under bathroom lighting:

Will the rose gold look like this too after awhile? I prefer the shiny look Smile

we buy light for a brighter tomorrow

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2665
Location: Greece

A nice patina !

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8597
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

MAD TM26 wrote:
Will the rose gold look like this too after awhile? I prefer the shiny look Smile

No, the rose gold color is completely coated in gold PVD or something, so the only way it’ll change color is if you scratch the coating off or paint over it. Same thing for the black copper one and rainbow titanium; just a colored PVD coating.

I find it particularly odd that the black one is PVD-coated copper instead of anodized aluminum. Seems like a waste to make it out of copper then hide the nice natural color.

Would love to see pics from anyone who got a rainbow titanium model. I’ve been wondering if each one is different and if the patterns vary per unit, or if they’re all like the stock photo. And I’m not sure quite how “rainbow PVD” works or what the detailing limitations are, but it’d be nice if it had a bit more of an interesting pattern. I always kinda wanted something like this:

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 21 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

I have bought rainbow PVD (on the way), but I would like see Pics of the Black copper, someone have received this (Dark Vather)?

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2665
Location: Greece
Trevi_lux wrote:
I have bought rainbow PVD (on the way), but I would like see Pics of the Black copper, someone have received this (Dark Vather)?

Black version isn’t aluminum ? Hmm

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 21 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain
giorgoskok wrote:
Trevi_lux wrote:
I have bought rainbow PVD (on the way), but I would like see Pics of the Black copper, someone have received this (Dark Vather)?

Black version isn’t aluminum ? Hmm

I am not sure, but I think all S mini are Titanium or copper…

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2665
Location: Greece
Trevi_lux wrote:
giorgoskok wrote:
Trevi_lux wrote:
I have bought rainbow PVD (on the way), but I would like see Pics of the Black copper, someone have received this (Dark Vather)?

Black version isn’t aluminum ? Hmm

I am not sure, but I think all S mini are Titanium or copper…

At first , i was wondering why the were selling the black version the same price with the copper version .

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 21 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

3 of copper left, three right Titanium.

MattSPL
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2012 - 09:42
Posts: 1029
Location: Ireland
ToyKeeper wrote:
DB Custom wrote:
I bought one in Rose Gold, engraved, for my wife’s birthday next month.
When I first opened mine, it was so bright and shiny I thought I might have gotten the rose gold by mistake… but I’ve since resolved that and it has a nice aged look now. I’ll have to wait until the sun is up for decent pictures, but here’s a quick view under bathroom lighting:

Looks great.
Does the cooper make your hand and pocket smell?

scrumpypaul
scrumpypaul's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2015 - 18:29
Posts: 744
Location: East Durham, UK

Beautiful patina on that copper TK – that’s right up my street, as you probably know….

Mind, I was given one for review and I have opted for the rainbow – I received it yesterday and it is utterly gorgeous – a little jewel of a torch.

When I get a few mins spare I’ll post a pic or two.

And here they are………

What a lovely little torch!!! Quality is absolutely top notch, flawless. Firmware seems a little different from the other Baton’s – when in “locked” mode, mine will still activate the moonlight level if you tap the switch. Moonlight will stay on as long as you press the switch so can be used for very brief taps to give you just the bare minimum of light. Press it for more than a couple of seconds and it goes back into normal unlocked moonlight mode from which you can access the other levels. It may just be a glitch on mine, but it can actually be useful I reckon?

Plus, on the promo shots, it looks like a few of the lights, rainbow included, have black areas surrounding the switch on the square-ish area – I think that is just a photographic thing with different lighting because that area has the same multi-coloured effect as the rest of the torch. I’m pleased about this because that “black” area had me a bit concerned as it seemed to jar with the aesthetics of the whole thing.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics – sorry they aren’t the best quality – they really don’t do this little gem justice.

SP

MAD TM26
MAD TM26's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2013 - 05:25
Posts: 343

Hi guys, just wondering which CR123 (16340) are you using?

we buy light for a brighter tomorrow

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3483

I use efest V2 (red wrapper) for all of my 16340 lights, one of the best for high drain.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1444
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Does anyone know the runtimes on 16340? I’m tired of Olight taking us for a hike on these S10-style torches by only stating their battery life on primary CR123’s.

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 1658
Location: Finland

On an Olight branded 550mAh IMR (that comes bundled with the S1R)

S Mini Cu Raw: High 1h 3min / Mid 4h 14min
S Mini Ti PVD Rainbow: High 1h 1min / Mid 4h 9min

Add about 25% more runtime on a Keeppower 700mAh.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1444
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

maukka wrote:
On an Olight branded 550mAh IMR (that comes bundled with the S1R)

S Mini Cu Raw: High 1h 3min / Mid 4h 14min
S Mini Ti PVD Rainbow: High 1h 1min / Mid 4h 9min

Add about 25% more runtime on a Keeppower 700mAh.


That helps, thanks.

But frankly, I’m looking more for runtimes in Low and Moonlight modes, since those easily make up the majority of use time in my EDC lights.

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 1658
Location: Finland

Sorry, it’s quite impractical to do those kinds of runtime tests when you have more than one light to test. All the more reason for Olight to state them though.

edit: of course you could run it on low or medium for an hour and extrapolate from that by checking how much capacity was drained from the batteries

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1444
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

It’s all good, it’s not like I’m “demanding” it or anything Innocent Still appreciate the input up there.

ReManG
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 04/25/2015 - 22:52
Posts: 2541
Location: Between the Mexico's

Maukka, Looking forward to your testing of the emitter…

ALL of my links are non-affiliated for your pleasure...

My Reviews

Lithium Ion Battery Safety 101

 

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 7077
Location: nyc
ToyKeeper wrote:
And I’m not sure quite how “rainbow PVD” works or what the detailing limitations are, but it’d be nice if it had a bit more of an interesting pattern. I always kinda wanted something like this:

Holy God, that’s a nice looking light!

Is that a real one, or did you photo$hop the coloring onto it?

Beats my boring red/blue/green ones… Silly

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8597
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

MattSPL wrote:
Does the cooper make your hand and pocket smell?

… not really?

But it smelled like Palmolive for about a day after I treated it to darken the recessed areas. A natural patina doesn’t turn green like that in a day or two; I artificially sped up the process.

scrumpypaul wrote:
When I get a few mins spare I’ll post a pic or two.

Thanks! That’s definitely not the same coloring as the stock photos; looks like each one is probably different.

MAD TM26 wrote:
Hi guys, just wondering which CR123 (16340) are you using?

I only use protected 16340 cells in mine, because these lights have a boost circuit and no LVP. The protection circuit keeps me from draining cells far enough to damage them. In my testing, the ‘low’ mode puts out the same lumens on a totally full cell and on an empty cell, so I can’t rely on dimming to tell me when to charge the battery.

Jack Kellar wrote:
I’m looking more for runtimes in Low and Moonlight modes, since those easily make up the majority of use time in my EDC lights.

Not that this helps, but when using my S1 Ti as my primary light I get a few weeks per charge. I assume the S Mini will be about the same. The S1’s specs included 16340 runtimes:

Then compare to the S Mini’s runtime, which has higher CR123A numbers…

So I’d guess probably ~30-ish hours on low and ~20 days on moon?

Lightbringer wrote:
Holy God, that’s a nice looking light!

Is that a real one, or did you photo$hop the coloring onto it?


That was a stock Convoy photo plus about 5 minutes in GIMP.
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1444
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Actually, TK, the numbers in RCR123 for the S1 are WAY off. I’ve seen several people test it independently and runtime on Moonlight never was longer than 63 hours. Hence the distrust.

MattSPL
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/09/2012 - 09:42
Posts: 1029
Location: Ireland

ToyKeeper wrote:
MattSPL wrote:
Does the cooper make your hand and pocket smell?

… not really?

But it smelled like Palmolive for about a day after I treated it to darken the recessed areas. A natural patina doesn’t turn green like that in a day or two; I artificially sped up the process.

scrumpypaul wrote:
When I get a few mins spare I’ll post a pic or two.

Thanks! That’s definitely not the same coloring as the stock photos; looks like each one is probably different.

MAD TM26 wrote:
Hi guys, just wondering which CR123 (16340) are you using?

I only use protected 16340 cells in mine, because these lights have a boost circuit and no LVP. The protection circuit keeps me from draining cells far enough to damage them. In my testing, the ‘low’ mode puts out the same lumens on a totally full cell and on an empty cell, so I can’t rely on dimming to tell me when to charge the battery.

Jack Kellar wrote:
I’m looking more for runtimes in Low and Moonlight modes, since those easily make up the majority of use time in my EDC lights.

Not that this helps, but when using my S1 Ti as my primary light I get a few weeks per charge. I assume the S Mini will be about the same. The S1’s specs included 16340 runtimes:

Then compare to the S Mini’s runtime, which has higher CR123A numbers…

So I’d guess probably ~30-ish hours on low and ~20 days on moon?

Lightbringer wrote:
Holy God, that’s a nice looking light!

Is that a real one, or did you photo$hop the coloring onto it?


That was a stock Convoy photo plus about 5 minutes in GIMP.

Thanks for the info, so Palmolive is the trick then.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8597
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Jack Kellar wrote:
Actually, TK, the numbers in RCR123 for the S1 are WAY off. I’ve seen several people test it independently and runtime on Moonlight never was longer than 63 hours. Hence the distrust.

Interesting, and good to know. Are you planning to do any tests on it?

MattSPL wrote:
so Palmolive is the trick then.

Part of it, anyway. It got the grooves to darken. Then I polished the raised areas with a sunshine cloth and aged things more naturally by simply holding the light overnight while I slept. The raised portions are constantly changing and will require occasional re-polishing. It’s a living surface.
DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 19323
Location: Heart of Texas

Left to age it will develop an even dark patina. Handling it in use with give a rosy shine that is sort of matte finish, so the high spots your hand touches when using the light will show this buffed surface while the lower points will remain dark. Like the Lady says, it’s a living surface so it’s undergoing a constant change.

I am SO fighting the urge to open my wifes birthday present to see the gold PVD coating! Aaaaaagggghhhhh!

Pages