The GT, Proto V2 arrived!, the BLF special giga thrower

8862 posts / 0 new
Last post
johny723
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/08/2014 - 08:48
Posts: 282
Location: slovakia

We need beamshots! TA, would you be so kind as to provide us with some pics?

BoxCarWillie
BoxCarWillie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 11/06/2016 - 11:07
Posts: 120
Location: U.S.A.

I would like to give a big thanks to all the folks involved with producing this GT flashlight! Thumbs Up

I do have a few questions:

1- Will my KeepPower (PC) 18650’s fit in the battery holders?
2- Will there be replacement parts, such as a reflector, battery holder, ect., in the event of an accident?
3- Will I have the option of choosing a certain bin for the XHP35-HI?

Thanks in advanced!

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 4430
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
johny723 wrote:
We need beamshots! TA, would you be so kind as to provide us with some pics?

Just got back from taking some, not sure how well they turned out but should be able to post them tomorrow. It lit up a water tower ~1 mile away but not sure if the camera caught it.

EDIT, yep, just had a look at the pics, confirmed that it showed up on the pictures that it lit up 2 separate water towers at ~.9 miles and 1.1 miles away respectively.

I will try to export them and upload them tomorrow, they are not nearly as good as VOB’s but hey, how many people can say they have lit something up over a mile away with a handheld flashlight (well, before Giggles goes on sale that is).

The warmer tint really helps it cut through the humidity as well

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other. -- Voltaire (1764)

Texas Avenger Driver Series

My LED Test series - XP-L2 V5  - Nichia 219C 90+ CRILatticebright "XM-L"XHP35 & PWM efficiency - XHP50 - XP-L V5 - XM-L2 U2 - XP-G3 S5  - XP-L HI V2 - Oslon Square & direct comparison to Djozz tests - Nichia 319A - Nichia 219B 9080 CRI - Nichia 219C D320 - Nichia 229AT

Complete collection of all my LED tests

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 4430
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

BoxCarWillie wrote:
I would like to give a big thanks to all the folks involved with producing this GT flashlight! Thumbs Up

I do have a few questions:

1- Will my KeepPower (PC) 18650’s fit in the battery holders?
2- Will there be replacement parts, such as a reflector, battery holder, ect., in the event of an accident?
3- Will I have the option of choosing a certain bin for the XHP35-HI?

Thanks in advanced!

Yes, any 18650 should fit.

Not sure on his yet but I assume that lumintop will make some extra parts to have on hand, how long they will have them? That I have no idea. Although everything is open source so worst case you can generally get it made else where.

At this point there will only be 1 option for the LED tint, it is looking like the one I have in the V2 proto is going to be the most likely option, there seem to be a shortage on them at the moment and these are really good. Worst case it is fairly easy to swap the LED out later.

I am liking the proto LED but I will dig into that more tomorrow.

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other. -- Voltaire (1764)

Texas Avenger Driver Series

My LED Test series - XP-L2 V5  - Nichia 219C 90+ CRILatticebright "XM-L"XHP35 & PWM efficiency - XHP50 - XP-L V5 - XM-L2 U2 - XP-G3 S5  - XP-L HI V2 - Oslon Square & direct comparison to Djozz tests - Nichia 319A - Nichia 219B 9080 CRI - Nichia 219C D320 - Nichia 229AT

Complete collection of all my LED tests

johny723
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/08/2014 - 08:48
Posts: 282
Location: slovakia

Thanks!

SirMehsAlot
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/10/2017 - 22:47
Posts: 1

Hello, please add me to the list for 1 blf GT unit and wow! thanks to all who are making this possible.

CodyWolfeMusic
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 44 sec ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 20:50
Posts: 45
Location: Nashville

Play nice boys. If Texas Ace says that NW is going to be best I trust him on that. Seems like he knows his shit I mean it is his light. And sounds like the emitter he chose will work well in it. I know were all used to Cool White. But why not give it a shot just like you said it can be swapped. I think for a thrower NW might be better he has a good point especially with the high CRI. It should cut though fog better and instead of washing out a deer make it so you can see its natural color and identify it from a far. I did look at the review of WeAllJuggleKnifes Convoy L6 and I will admit it didn’t impress me with the NW emitter then again not sure if that is a CRI or not. He did do a comparison and the cool white won. But that isn’t a BLF light. And the Q8 seemed like a pretty big homerun. I’m thinking its a different type of NW emitter I could be wrong but from what Texas Ace said and the story he told I can tell it will be a pretty damn good light none the less. Not sure about anyone else but I’m gonna be using this thing for spotting animals at night when I camp. I want to see them well at a distance. So what ever does the job and does it well is what I’m looking for. I want people to flip when I show the light off and I think they will either way. How could they not? This things gonna be a beast! Came across a photo of it lighting up a housing development from probably 8 or 900 meters away. Unreal and Thrunite is offering NW emitters a lot of people are going for it…Gotta trust Texas Ace on this one.

Cody Wolfe

nodoubt
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 10/23/2012 - 00:51
Posts: 254

control shot, tower .6 of a mile

tn 42 modded at 775 k lux
tower .6 of a mile

hid putting out 1.3 mill lux, roughly same as gt
same tower

same shot, exp, iso , etc, zoomed in to 300 mm, canon 40d, 70-300 mm lense

yes boys and girls, 700k lux more, does make a difference SillyBig Smile

nodoubt
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 10/23/2012 - 00:51
Posts: 254

btw, the tn42 is a nw led
i hate cool white leds now, after owning nw ones
texas ace is so spot on with what he said
cool white washes everything out, flats it out, and makes everything look absolutely lifeless
once you finally get a hold of this, youll never go back Thumbs Up

xCentrino
xCentrino's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 05/09/2017 - 11:13
Posts: 140
Location: California

Feel like I’ve seen these before, still great pictures. Thumbs Up

CodyWolfeMusic
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 44 sec ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 20:50
Posts: 45
Location: Nashville

What HID light is that?

Cody Wolfe

Mr McLumen
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2017 - 02:54
Posts: 2
Location: The Sooner State

My feelings are opposite , just sayin’ if I am out camping and see a bear I don’t have to know whether it is a blond or a brunette to know it is a bear. I liken it to anything painted in an “off white” color paint. It looks like a dirty white to me and I like my whites white. Just sayin.

spade413
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 12/19/2015 - 19:31
Posts: 3

Please add me to the list!

PVCC
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2017 - 02:56
Posts: 16

@Texas_Ace

Thanks forma tour detailed explanation about the XHP35 HI NW chosen for the GT

After so many posts and tests I do see you know what you do and what is better, way more than me.

I also know you'll choose whatever is best. 

Perfectly fine to me, thank you!

I'm very excited to see this project goes to production process soon, when all the very high details that the Developers and Testers have taken care of get the approval, to get my hands on it! Smile

Hope to get it early next year!!

PS: I won't be able to make any mod, due to some personal limitations (I can't do that kind of things anymore), so I'll use the GT as it will be sold

Plat
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2017 - 01:27
Posts: 3
Location: Australia

get me on the list for this thing Big Smile

Kendo
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2017 - 06:46
Posts: 5
Location: Australia

I want to be the first in australia to own one
Fingers crossed

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 950
Location: intersection of all roads

Sorry Kendo but hardly, you can get one for 150$,but first 555 people that already made reservations should get it first…

Kendo
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2017 - 06:46
Posts: 5
Location: Australia

Please add me to the list

Kendo
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2017 - 06:46
Posts: 5
Location: Australia

Of course i dont expect to be the first to get one i just hope to be the first in australia if no one has see these yet but i just want to be on the list
Id like to know if i can put a deposit down on one

Kendo
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2017 - 06:46
Posts: 5
Location: Australia

When will they start to be available

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 2700
Location: Houston Texas

Kendo wrote:

Id like to know if i can put a deposit down on one

Payment details are not set. Once production starts and it gets close to buying time you will get a PM telling you all the details. What store to go to and what special code to enter to get the discounted price, etc… We may even need to do a small deposit before that. It’s still not known.

So for now we wait. Big Smile

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

6 NarsilM user videos
http://bit.ly/narsil-vid1

I_like_lamb
I_like_lamb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/21/2016 - 03:54
Posts: 65
Location: Sydney, 'Straya
Kendo wrote:
I want to be the first in australia to own one Fingers crossed

Fite me M8

jtq
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 11/04/2017 - 13:44
Posts: 1

Please add me to the list. Thank you.

pommie
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2013 - 03:56
Posts: 870
Location: Corio, Victoria, Australia

Kendo wrote:
I want to be the first in australia to own one
Fingers crossed

It may be the shorty prototype but it is still giggles Wink

Cheers David

Nothing to see here folks, move along...BLF GT proto

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 913
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

That shorty one is really funny looking. The more I look at it the more I want it. But just for the fun, for practical use (as far as the GT is practical.. Big Smile ) the normal tube is much better.

Hey the Miller, change that topic title! Silly

Texas_Ace wrote:
b1i1l1l1y1 wrote:
@Texas_Ace Is the light able to be locked out by unscrewing the tailcap or tube?

Yes, you can lock it out with about 1/4 of a turn on the tailcap.


But that would only work when it’s tail standing? The tailcap isn’t part of the electrical path. The carriers have to loose contact with the driver. Or what do I miss?..
cccpull
cccpull's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 01/10/2010 - 15:34
Posts: 205
Location: Florida, USA
thijsco19 wrote:
That shorty one is really funny looking. The more I look at it the more I want it. But just for the fun, for practical use (as far as the GT is practical.. Big Smile ) the normal tube is much better.

I totally agree, they should make a shorty tube accessory option. As impressive as the Giggles beam will be, bringing out the shorty would be hilarious. Big Smile

pommie
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2013 - 03:56
Posts: 870
Location: Corio, Victoria, Australia

The short tube makes it wayyyy out of balance to the point of causing wrist discomfort/pain fairly quick, my wife needs both hands to hold it without discomfort. (minds back above the waist level please)
However I am thinking about using it to make a 3 carrier light, 4s3p, and pushing a xhp50.2 hard, that way any decent (matched) cells will deliver enough power Evil

Cheers David

Nothing to see here folks, move along...BLF GT proto

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 2319
Location: The Motor City

No kidding huh, out of balance, who would of thunk? Big Smile

I do not care, I would still like to purchase it if it becomes available, along with spare parts too.

KB1428 “Live Life WOT”

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 1663
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

pommie wrote:
The short tube makes it wayyyy out of balance to the point of causing wrist discomfort/pain fairly quick, my wife needs both hands to hold it without discomfort. (minds back above the waist level please)
However I am thinking about using it to make a 3 carrier light, 4s3p, and pushing a xhp50.2 hard, that way any decent (matched) cells will deliver enough power Evil

Cheers David

Can’t you hire a Donk for the heavy work? Wink

I always think long and hard before I say something really stupid.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 4430
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
CodyWolfeMusic wrote:
Play nice boys. If Texas Ace says that NW is going to be best I trust him on that. Seems like he knows his shit I mean it is his light. And sounds like the emitter he chose will work well in it. I know were all used to Cool White. But why not give it a shot just like you said it can be swapped. I think for a thrower NW might be better he has a good point especially with the high CRI. It should cut though fog better and instead of washing out a deer make it so you can see its natural color and identify it from a far. I did look at the review of WeAllJuggleKnifes Convoy L6 and I will admit it didn’t impress me with the NW emitter then again not sure if that is a CRI or not. He did do a comparison and the cool white won. But that isn’t a BLF light. And the Q8 seemed like a pretty big homerun. I’m thinking its a different type of NW emitter I could be wrong but from what Texas Ace said and the story he told I can tell it will be a pretty damn good light none the less. Not sure about anyone else but I’m gonna be using this thing for spotting animals at night when I camp. I want to see them well at a distance. So what ever does the job and does it well is what I’m looking for. I want people to flip when I show the light off and I think they will either way. How could they not? This things gonna be a beast! Came across a photo of it lighting up a housing development from probably 8 or 900 meters away. Unreal and Thrunite is offering NW emitters a lot of people are going for it…Gotta trust Texas Ace on this one.

Thanks for the kind words.

I will post my full thoughts on this LED later with the beam shots but based on the currently available options I think this is the best option. In a perfect world I might pick a slightly different LED for mass production but those LED’s are MIA across the globe right now it seems and would cause significant delays if we tried to get them.

I can say that this LED easily threw further in the real world then the cool white LED, by a fair margin.

Although I think people may have misunderstood. This LED is not high CRI (sadly), it is a min 70CRI (which is better then the 68cri most lights use) LED, the tint is simply better then most LED’s and the output is surprisingly high.

What I meant was that once you go neutral white the only place left to go is high CRI neutral white.

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other. -- Voltaire (1764)

Texas Avenger Driver Series

My LED Test series - XP-L2 V5  - Nichia 219C 90+ CRILatticebright "XM-L"XHP35 & PWM efficiency - XHP50 - XP-L V5 - XM-L2 U2 - XP-G3 S5  - XP-L HI V2 - Oslon Square & direct comparison to Djozz tests - Nichia 319A - Nichia 219B 9080 CRI - Nichia 219C D320 - Nichia 229AT

Complete collection of all my LED tests

Pages