[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

19107 posts / 0 new
Last post
FlashIight
FlashIight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 21 hours ago
Joined: 11/24/2011 - 20:36
Posts: 173
Location: Ontario, Canada

Spartan16 wrote:
““Well then, I guess a bunch of people are gonna be disappointed.”“

The above I think will be a bigger problem than what some will have expected… you should NEVER set people’s expectations to one thing and then it be something else when it arrives… even if certain numbers can ‘prove’ it’s performance is the same or even better.. it’s the perception of the recipient based upon the expectations set which counts.

I watched the first Giga thrower YT vid… was amazed and wanted one.. which made me order.

Looks like there’s more than a fair chance i’ll now be returning the light.. HATE warm beams… they had those in the 1800’s with candles..!!!

If it comes down to it, you needn’t return the light. Many, many members of this forum will be happy to purchase it from you.

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4591
Location: South Europe

I was hoping that my first light will arrive before this group buy closes so I would have something to base my decision to buy second light but, that’s obviously not happening now.
Folks from US and 555-1000 batch are getting their second lights delivered by registered shipping before European guys from 0-555 batch and DHL shipping are even considered (not to mention guys from australia and other countries).
I bet that they would be more motivated to honor every customer equally if we payd half when applying for GB and second half when product is delivered Smile

Anyhow, standard chinese bussines… Tired

BTW, I followed this thread almost every day, as much as I could (~250+ new comments each day, lengthy task to read all that), you know, I have a job to attend, every day, anyways I wasn’t aware that we switched to WW tint!

 

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 59 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8566
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Sirius9 wrote:
BTW, I followed this thread almost every day, as much as I could (~250+ new comments each day, lengthy task to read all that), you know, I have a job to attend, every day, anyways I wasn’t aware that we switched to WW tint!

It is not a warm white, it is still NW, just 4000k vs the 5000k we had planned on. NW is from 4000k to 5700k. CW starts at 6000k and WW starts below 4000k.

Rah_BE
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/23/2017 - 00:06
Posts: 46
Location: Minnesota

The warm/warmish tint on throwers is a divisive topic for some. Photos and videos don’t do justice to warm tint (mostly because of digital sensors in cameras). I have the warmest tint Convoy C8 XP-L HI and it will cut through moisture in the air very well.

As far as perception goes, I don’t let the masses decide what I buy and don’t buy. If anything, when Lumintop starts selling this light on their own; they should offer options. Let the purchaser decide what they want.

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

This is a open groupbuy of a newly designed torch with a few prototypes. If you don’t know it was decided to be 4000k months ago due to availability of led, that’s is your own fault or laziness to follow the progress. If you don’t read thread as often, you can ask about the tint in the thread. BLF GT team work so hard to come out best stock thrower in history and deserved our respect and appreciation. Please stop whining about it as it is explained to you a few times. You can sell it if you don’t like it when you try it. I think it is fair if you don’t return it because it is not Lumintop fault that you don’t like the tint.

cool i'll see you when you get there

BVH
BVH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 10 min ago
Joined: 07/28/2017 - 18:43
Posts: 131

I know I read this quite a while ago but is everyone in the first 1500 getting one light before those that bought 2 get their second? And then everyone who bought two, gets their second before those that bought 3, get their third. And so on and so on?

Anyone else have their light arrive in just the “inner” box, no outer box?

If you don’t like the color of the LED, have a member change it out for you. I’m sure there are plenty of modders here who will do it.

WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Tejasandre
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 01/02/2018 - 21:55
Posts: 85

Smells like troll in here tonight

LuminousIgnis
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/2017 - 12:18
Posts: 22

Spartan16 wrote:
““Well then, I guess a bunch of people are gonna be disappointed.”“

The above I think will be a bigger problem than what some will have expected… you should NEVER set people’s expectations to one thing and then it be something else when it arrives… even if certain numbers can ‘prove’ it’s performance is the same or even better.. it’s the perception of the recipient based upon the expectations set which counts.

I watched the first Giga thrower YT vid… was amazed and wanted one.. which made me order.

Looks like there’s more than a fair chance i’ll now be returning the light.. HATE warm beams… they had those in the 1800’s with candles..!!!

Hi I’m curious what high powerd lights do you currently have in your stable?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

Sirius9 wrote:

Folks from US and 555-1000 batch are getting their second lights delivered by registered shipping before European guys from 0-555 batch and DHL shipping are even considered (not to mention guys from australia and other countries).
I bet that they would be more motivated to honor every customer equally if we payd half when applying for GB and second half when product is delivered Smile

Anyhow, standard chinese bussines… Tired


No lights have been shipped by registered mail, yet. Only DHL.

I don’t understand why some feel slighted. Everyone is equal. There is a little preferential treatment in that the first 1000 get shipped first, but still, everyone is equal. We will all get our lights.

Some folks act like royalty because they signed up early and that people who sign up late are peasants. I just don’t understand that. We are are equal.

If Europe lights went out first, all the usa folks would complain. You can’t please everyone.

All businesses are about profit, not just Chinese.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

BVH wrote:
I know I read this quite a while ago but is everyone in the first 1500 getting one light before those that bought 2 get their second? And then everyone who bought two, gets their second before those that bought 3, get their third. And so on and so on?

No, only the first 555 got single lights due to the special low price. Then from 555 and up you can get your 2nd, 3rd, etc…

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Spartan16
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 00:53
Posts: 26
Location: Leyland, United Kingdom

LuminousIgnis wrote:
Spartan16 wrote:
““Well then, I guess a bunch of people are gonna be disappointed.”“

The above I think will be a bigger problem than what some will have expected… you should NEVER set people’s expectations to one thing and then it be something else when it arrives… even if certain numbers can ‘prove’ it’s performance is the same or even better.. it’s the perception of the recipient based upon the expectations set which counts.

I watched the first Giga thrower YT vid… was amazed and wanted one.. which made me order.

Looks like there’s more than a fair chance i’ll now be returning the light.. HATE warm beams… they had those in the 1800’s with candles..!!!

Hi I’m curious what high powerd lights do you currently have in your stable?

..why would you be curious of that..?

Spartan16
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 00:53
Posts: 26
Location: Leyland, United Kingdom
Tejasandre wrote:
Smells like troll in here tonight

I expect that’s directed at me.. no this isn’t about trolling.. it’s about changes to the GT which me (and I presume others) were not aware of, and which potentially may well be a deal breaker based on expectations set prior to ordering.

Ask before accusing.

LuminousIgnis
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/2017 - 12:18
Posts: 22

Spartan16 wrote:
LuminousIgnis wrote:
Spartan16 wrote:
““Well then, I guess a bunch of people are gonna be disappointed.”“

The above I think will be a bigger problem than what some will have expected… you should NEVER set people’s expectations to one thing and then it be something else when it arrives… even if certain numbers can ‘prove’ it’s performance is the same or even better.. it’s the perception of the recipient based upon the expectations set which counts.

I watched the first Giga thrower YT vid… was amazed and wanted one.. which made me order.

Looks like there’s more than a fair chance i’ll now be returning the light.. HATE warm beams… they had those in the 1800’s with candles..!!!

Hi I’m curious what high powered lights do you currently have in your stable?

..why would you be curious of that..?


Why is it so hard to answer, just a simple 14 worded question?
Keisari
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/30/2015 - 16:57
Posts: 220
Location: Finland

Spartan16 wrote:

..and miss-quoting me doesn’t help either..!! I NOWHERE said that I was critical because this is not another ‘blue light’… in fact.. if you read back you will see that I do mention that cheaper blue lights are no good at all…

Please be sure of what a person has and has not said prior to accusing them of being ‘overly critical’.


Come on. No one has really been picking a fight with you. In fact, we have more of a friendly attitude than is being asked for.

Quote:

““Falsely interpreting a video to show things that are not there is another”“

Work on your facts buddy.. watch the video and then find where I ‘falsely interpret’ anything…


Oh, that one is easy. As was already pointed out a dozen times, the newer and warmer version is in fact better, not worse. It will not be disappointing IRL, all but that.
arficus
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 172
Location: PNW

donttellmywifei...
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2017 - 20:47
Posts: 57
Location: ny

just curious,

what would the beam look like with a blue glass filter on the front?
this might give it the “wow” effect

(I see a niche market forming here) $…. lol

Spartan16
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 00:53
Posts: 26
Location: Leyland, United Kingdom
Throw me in to darkness wrote:
Spartan16, I have a Maxtoch 2X Shooter with a yellowish/warmish 5000k dedomed LED in it. It’s not “incandescent” or “Maglite” yellow at all. And it throws a beam 1200m from the factory @ 365k lux. I can easily light up a building (very nicely) 800m away in pitch dark over the entire distance. I will be going to the worlds only gold rated Dark Sky Reserve just north of me very soon, to see check it’s full potential. Now just imagine what over 3x the lux, and ~2x the lens diameter will achieve. Not to mention over 500+ more lumens. My point is, I’ve seen and owned both cool and warmer throwers, and has been explained here, the warmer tints show more light on target. Agreed until relatively recently cooler seemed to be the go for throw, then tech changed, different LED’s come along then moving towards warmer tints become better for on target lighting with the power we can now wring out of them. Please don’t think the GT will be a garish Maglite type yellow. Bear in mind the warmer tint in the video looks much warmer because it’s beside a cooler tint. Stand alone it will not appear as yellow as you think (I only assume as I’ve not seen one irl, and I don’t have your eyes) You will love it and if not, as mentioned it will be snapped up in no time by someone else. Peace.

Thanks for that.. really appreciate the information, and especially the welcoming non-accusatory tone it was written with – thanks.

It wouldn’t be right to make a final judgement until I’ve tried it out.. but the video really worried me because of the visibly huge difference… and then to find the change in LED had been made without anyone other than seasoned daily followers of the thread knowing.. well that annoyed me from a comms perspective.

I’m sure many have worked hard.. but I’m afraid that something like this can and does (justifiably) ‘spoil’ the experience… just like you ordering a new red car like you saw at the showroom… and it arrives a notably different shade.. it’s a mistake which shouldn’t happen. We should have all had emails prior to orders being taken to update us of the change – to give as the chance to make an informed decision at that point of what we wanted to do in light of the new situation ref LED change.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3966
Location: Vancouver, Canada

LuminousIgnis wrote:

Why is it so hard to answer, just a simple 14 worded question?

If you disagree with another user on a forum, attack their argument instead of attacking the user and what/how many lights they own.
Spartan16
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 00:53
Posts: 26
Location: Leyland, United Kingdom

LuminousIgnis wrote:
Spartan16 wrote:
LuminousIgnis wrote:
Spartan16 wrote:
““Well then, I guess a bunch of people are gonna be disappointed.”“

The above I think will be a bigger problem than what some will have expected… you should NEVER set people’s expectations to one thing and then it be something else when it arrives… even if certain numbers can ‘prove’ it’s performance is the same or even better.. it’s the perception of the recipient based upon the expectations set which counts.

I watched the first Giga thrower YT vid… was amazed and wanted one.. which made me order.

Looks like there’s more than a fair chance i’ll now be returning the light.. HATE warm beams… they had those in the 1800’s with candles..!!!

Hi I’m curious what high powered lights do you currently have in your stable?

..why would you be curious of that..?


Why is it so hard to answer, just a simple 14 worded question?

It’s not hard, in fact it’d be really easy to answer.. but I’m thinking you’re asking something to question, critique or otherwise cause trouble… and I don’t want that…

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3966
Location: Vancouver, Canada

donttellmywifeiambuyinganotherlight wrote:
just curious,

what would the beam look like with a blue glass filter on the front?
this might give it the “wow” effect

(I see a niche market forming here) $…. lol


It would simply reduce the red and green wavelengths, and make the beam almost not visible.
The reason cool white LEDs have a much more visible beam is because they output a lot more blue and green light.
teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Joey Adams wrote:
Man I would love to see a down range side by side comparison of a cool white vs 4000k that comes with the light. The cw certainly looks brighter to me. Anyone that has two lights coming interested? I can’t be the only one curious.
I would love to see that to Joey.
Especially if it was done in a controlled manner as the Neat Test Dale (DB Custom) Did . That actually shows something where ‘the rubber hits the road’…… the target.

Theory is one thing, and not a bad thing either; but seeing it makes it real… to me anyway. Smile

And the photo of beamshot on target, taken at target….. is hard to beat.

Fantastic Dale!! Kudo’s to you…… Thumbs Up
.
.
Post #13932 / DALE’S (DBCustom) MOST EXCELLENT TEST…. 1.3 Mile Beamshot on target photos.
.

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1252743#comment-1252743

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11876
Location: Houston Texas

patmurris wrote:
I’m planning to put only four cells in my GT.

Is there any benefit to load all eight slots apart from runtime? Like would it be brighter?
My understanding is it would not make any difference due to the rather low pull on the cells.


It only effects run time. This is a buck driver, it take the 16.8 volts and regulates it to a steady lower voltage (13 something volts, I can’t remember the exact number). So as long as the batteries stay above that specific voltage, the driver stays “in regulation” and it can deliver max power.

Once the batteries drop down in voltage (below 3.5v ?) it drops out of regulation and can not produce full power any longer so the output slowly declines.

4 30Q cells gave 45 minutes of regulated power at 2A then another 45 minutes of reduced power before the lvp kicked in. So 8 cells should double those numbers.

Maybe someone can chime in with the exact voltage this drivers drops out if regulation at.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3966
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Keisari wrote:
warmer version is in fact better, not worse

This is a subjective opinion, not a fact.
“better” will depend on what someone prefers.
Just like 10k lumens and 100m throw isn’t better than 100 lumens and 10km throw, it completely depends on what the person wants.

I will also point out that a lot of people who tested/bought the GT mentioned how much everyone they showed it to was amazed by the beam, including themselves.

LuminousIgnis
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/30/2017 - 12:18
Posts: 22

Enderman wrote:
LuminousIgnis wrote:

Why is it so hard to answer, just a simple 14 worded question?

If you disagree with another user on a forum, attack their argument instead of attacking the user and what/how many lights they own.

Just curious what hes going to compare his newly aquired BLF GT too, why is that so hard to answer?
Tejasandre
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 01/02/2018 - 21:55
Posts: 85
Spartan16 wrote:
Tejasandre wrote:
Smells like troll in here tonight

I expect that’s directed at me.. no this isn’t about trolling.. it’s about changes to the GT which me (and I presume others) were not aware of, and which potentially may well be a deal breaker based on expectations set prior to ordering.

Ask before accusing.


Guess you smell it too. Cause I didn’t post anywhere near you.
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 2 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3966
Location: Vancouver, Canada

LuminousIgnis wrote:

Just curious what hes going to compare his newly aquired BLF GT too, why is that so hard to answer?

Oh, it seemed like you were going to criticize him if he didn’t have many flashlights, or didn’t have any warm white flashlights, or something like that.
Rah_BE
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/23/2017 - 00:06
Posts: 46
Location: Minnesota

I never got the feeling that LuminousIgnis was trying to set up an attack on Spartan16 by asking what lights they have. If anything it could offer some insight into what tints and temperatures they have personally experienced.

Spartan16
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 00:53
Posts: 26
Location: Leyland, United Kingdom
LuminousIgnis wrote:
Enderman wrote:
LuminousIgnis wrote:
Why is it so hard to answer, just a simple 14 worded question?
If you disagree with another user on a forum, attack their argument instead of attacking the user and what/how many lights they own.
Just curious what hes going to compare his newly aquired BLF GT too, why is that so hard to answer?

No.. I think there was a more sinister motive at work than that… like just trying to cause trouble and grounds to critique and judge another member.

Spartan16
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 00:53
Posts: 26
Location: Leyland, United Kingdom
Rah_BE wrote:
I never got the feeling that LuminousIgnis was trying to set up an attack on Spartan16 by asking what lights they have. If anything it could offer some insight into what tints and temperatures they have personally experienced.

I did..! Very much so..!

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Keisari wrote:

Being overly critical just because this is not another blue light for mindless consumers – this is what might have triggered folks who actually know their light. Falsely interpreting a video to show things that are not there is another.
I think you are being overly critical. I don’t see where anyone has asked for “another blue light for mindless consumers”.
Neutral white is just that (as far as I know) Neutral.
Not “Blue” & “Not Yellow/Orange”.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Pages

Topic locked