BLF recoil über-thrower

384 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4148
Location: Germany
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lexel wrote:

Maybe those parabol mirrors might work

From what I can tell, solar collectors are far less accurate since they don’t need to project a perfect image, they just need to focus light to a small area more or less, not a perfect point.
Even spherical reflectors will accomplish this.

I would only use a solar reflector if it is really large, like 12 or 24” and up, where the accuracy matters less.
For small sizes you need really accurate stuff, such as an electroformed or glass reflector.

I think the mirascope was the best bet :/
Not sure if I want to spend $50 to get a 9” mirasope shipped to me from the US and hope for better luck… I will have to reconsider.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4148
Location: Germany

I ordered the 7,4€ mirror from amazon

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lexel wrote:
I ordered the 7,4€ mirror from amazon

Ok cool, post results when you get it! Big Smile
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

cigarette lighter thing for $ 2.59

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252506465720?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPage...

But it’s very shallow..

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13295
Location: Amsterdam

Jerommel wrote:
cigarette lighter thing for $ 2.59 http://www.ebay.com/itm/252506465720?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPage...

But it’s very shallow..


Judging by the reflection, I think it looks pretty good actually on the ebay picture, I ordered two to play with. And I tend to think shallow is good, it catches a 90 degrees cone which is quite perfect.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

It’s on my wishlist for a while now, it didn’t convince me..
But i just ordered one too. Smile

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

So I found out that parcan bulbs use parabolic reflectors (hence the “par” Silly ) and there are a bunch of burnt out bulbs at my old highschool.
Hopefully some time soon I can go there and pick up a few and crack the front lens off.
The reflector is glass and should be a very good parabola, and iirc it’s also a pretty shallow reflector.

If I can crack the front lens off without breaking the reflector I will be sure to post some pics of testing here Smile

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Enderman wrote:
So I found out that parcan bulbs use parabolic reflectors (hence the “par” Silly ) and there are a bunch of burnt out bulbs at my old highschool.
Hopefully some time soon I can go there and pick up a few and crack the front lens off.
The reflector is glass and should be a very good parabola, and iirc it’s also a pretty shallow reflector.

If I can crack the front lens off without breaking the reflector I will be sure to post some pics of testing here Smile
!http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0278/1997/products/500par64wfl_1.jpeg?v...!


Hey, yeah, i’ve been considering pars lately too.
Discouraged by the fact that the lens is one with the reflector though..
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Jerommel wrote:

Hey, yeah, i’ve been considering pars lately too.
Discouraged by the fact that the lens is one with the reflector though..

Two separate pieces of glass but melted together. I would think the weld is the weak spot.
There’s at least 5 dead bulbs though so I will have multiple shots at it, I can try smashing, cutting, all kinds of stuff xD
It might take a few weeks for me to find time though, so let’s see how that solar reflector works out first Smile
DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6100
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

I’d say cutting is your best bet, unless you have a heat source capable of melting the glass off. Just make sure you use eye protection and breathing protection of some kind.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13295
Location: Amsterdam

Found this in a vintage shop, russian, fifties, with a 35cm parabolic glass mirror in good condition.
LOL, it is labeled as a ‘flood light’, which is correct where the bulb is mounted now . Minor set-back: €795,- did not buy it.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

lol those vintage lights so overprice for their capabilities…

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9631
Location: Charente France

Say Djozz emailed about a recoil thrower before the GT was started
I really hope you guys are going to make this a reality
If you ask Thijsco it’ll be an all Dutch team!

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Is there a topic he made? When I was researching this a few years ago I found no LED recoil flashlight builds on any forum or website…

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13295
Location: Amsterdam

No, I never made one before. And I was bragging about building one two weeks ago, but with my extreme short attention span I skipped it for the moment in favour of other mods and experiments. I is on the list though, and of a few other folks as well.

The idea seems to be at the moment to do some experiments with existing cheap mirrors to see if a good quality recoil thrower is possible. If yes, it would be awesome to have it made in China. But I have little illusions about the process: having something made that is mostly a copy of what already exists (the Q8) is already very tedious, this one will be a new design from scratch!

The best that may happen is that with a prototype (well: contraption) we prove that a great compact 500+ kcd recoil thrower is possible, and that one of the flashlight manufacturers is reading this thread and picks it up and brings it to the market (Thrunite?)

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Tbh I don’t care about prototypes or manufacturers, if it throws I will build one from scratch.
The problem is I don’t want to drop $200+ on a custom reflector not knowing how well it will work.
It needs to at least match my 1Mcd aspheric thrower…otherwise it will not be worth the cost.

mdeni
mdeni's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 08/06/2016 - 05:17
Posts: 259
Location: Europe
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

mdeni wrote:
Here is one small mirror. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-68mm-Diameter-Optical-Glass-Focal-Le...

Something like that would be awesome, but unfortunately they’re spherical, not parabolic..
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

I’m considering shaping a sheet of aluminium and then polish it.
But it will be a ghastly endeavour getting it in the proper shape..

Theodore41
Online
Last seen: 13 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 02/20/2016 - 12:57
Posts: 846
Location: Athens Greece.
Jerommel wrote:
mdeni wrote:
Here is one small mirror. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-68mm-Diameter-Optical-Glass-Focal-Le...
Something like that would be awesome, but unfortunately they’re spherical, not parabolic..

…but it says, Reflector Lens Spherical Surface+ Parabolic Reflector +Bow

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands
Theodore41 wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
mdeni wrote:
Here is one small mirror. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-68mm-Diameter-Optical-Glass-Focal-Le...
Something like that would be awesome, but unfortunately they’re spherical, not parabolic..

…but it says, Reflector Lens Spherical Surface+ Parabolic Reflector +Bow

They’re used for HID lamps in projectors, so that 2 sides of the light are collimated by an aspherical lens.
Slide projectors have them too (but with a halogen incandescent lamp)
djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13295
Location: Amsterdam

Jerommel wrote:
I’m considering shaping a sheet of aluminium and then polish it.
But it will be a ghastly endeavour getting it in the proper shape..

Don’t bother, no chance of getting even close to that cigarette lighter thing.

That same aliexpress store has this, but it is glass so a bit fragile to put in a flashlight. And for the price I do not expect it to be optical quality.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product/2pcs-100mm-Diameter-Concave-Mirr...

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Enderman wrote:
Tbh I don’t care about prototypes or manufacturers, if it throws I will build one from scratch.
The problem is I don’t want to drop $200+ on a custom reflector not knowing how well it will work.
It needs to at least match my 1Mcd aspheric thrower…otherwise it will not be worth the cost.
There’s not enough enthusiasm either so that we could have a thousand pieces made in China for a reasonable price.
Plus i have no idea how to deal with manufacturers, let alone Chinese.
Maybe rename the topic to “DIY über thrower”.
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

djozz wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
I’m considering shaping a sheet of aluminium and then polish it.
But it will be a ghastly endeavour getting it in the proper shape..

Don’t bother, no chance of getting even close to that cigarette lighter thing.
Have you received that ‘solar lighter’ already?
Quote:

That same aliexpress store has this, but it is glass so a bit fragile to put in a flashlight. And for the price I do not expect it to be optical quality.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product/2pcs-100mm-Diameter-Concave-Mirr...
!{width:100%}https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1gUUfLVXXXXbyXFXXq6xXFXXXP/202576024/HTB1g...!
Yes,i have seen those too.
Didn’t look too good to me
I wouldn’t mind it being made of glass though.
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5066
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

djozz wrote:
Found this in a vintage shop, russian, fifties, with a 35cm parabolic glass mirror in good condition.
LOL, it is labeled as a ‘flood light’, which is correct where the bulb is mounted now . Minor set-back: €795,- did not buy it.

!https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5340/30445701213_214a4b8457_b.jpg!


Awesome ‘host’ Big SmileBig Smile
But they just stuck a E27 fitting in there making the whole thing pointless (hey, that’s a pun!)
Love the wooden tripod too.
Ridiculous price though.
Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4148
Location: Germany

I did some quick test on the fly with the cigarette lighter
just had the camera in one hand and the reflector in the other
its not perfectly focused but shows how it is, good hotspot and some lighter area around it, which is in my opinion not bad at all

XP-G2 R5 with dome at 0.5A
laser range meter says 11m

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13295
Location: Amsterdam

That looks promising Lexel !

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3339
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Yeah looks very good, actually looks square, and not a circle Smile

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4148
Location: Germany

the cigarette lighter is not good enough

I did compared it now to a smaller projector lens

Pages