20,000 W Incandescent bulb!

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
eebowler
eebowler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/13/2012 - 11:34
Posts: 1830
Location: Trinidad and Tobago GMT -4
20,000 W Incandescent bulb!

My gratitude to those who are willing and able to help others (in whatever way you can)! Being human is more than just existing for yourself. Smile

Edited by: eebowler on 11/16/2016 - 18:16
dchomak
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/17/2012 - 20:10
Posts: 4124
Location: Connecticut

This has been posted before, but that is OK!!!!!!!!!
How else would a newbie ever find it unless he was looking for it. Now they will.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48075
Back on subject, that 20,000W bulb. It is sooooo comforting to me that there are people out there that are way more radical than I am. That makes me feel more normal Big Smile

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 44 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5277
Location: Long Island, New York

I’ve seen this one before. It’s totally insane! I can just imagine what my electric would be if I had one of those..lol!

We need ICE to keep our country safe. 

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 669
Location: South Carolina

Yes! I posted this before. Fun to watch it again.

Just think, powered by a pack of about 250 good 18650’s you could take this thing portable! Big Smile

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 3730
Location: Texas

Damn, it was like watching the sun rise outside, would love to see that bulb in a big reflector, imagine the beam!!!

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12196
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Nice. Glad to see there are a few whacko’s left. Smile

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

dw911
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 hours ago
Joined: 06/27/2014 - 07:44
Posts: 590
Location: UK

Maybe M4DM4X or Freeme could get us a discount code Big Smile

http://www.superiorlighting.com/20_000_Watt_Halogen_Medium_To_High_Volta...

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 3730
Location: Texas

What device uses this light bulb anyway??? QuestionShocked

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 669
Location: South Carolina
AlexGT wrote:
What device uses this light bulb anyway??? QuestionShocked

It’s just used in a bulb holder really. It’s for outdoor film set lighting.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 5997
Location: freedailydeals.org

Setup is good for sun tan in winter. I am curious of the generator cost, since the bulb is already 2 grand.

Nah. It doesn't fit in our flashlight. cool

dw911 wrote:
...Freeme could get us a discount code Big Smilehttp://www.superiorlighting.com/20_000_Watt_Halogen_Medium_To_High_Volta...
Enderman
Enderman's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3051
Location: Vancouver, Canada

It’s honestly not that impressive, filament bulbs have a really low efficiency so of those 20000W only very little is being turned into light.

This is a 24000W HMI bulb, which has a much higher lighting efficiency and produces much more light, 2.3 million lumens to be exact.

These are used for simulating daylight when filming movies, you can see how large it is in this video:

If I ever go full overkill then I will be using one of these Silly

techieman33
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 20:52
Posts: 109
Location: Kansas
freeme wrote:

Setup is good for sun tan in winter. I am curious of the generator cost, since the bulb is already 2 grand.

Nah. It doesn’t fit in our flashlight. cool


dw911 wrote:
…Freeme could get us a discount code Big Smilehttp://www.superiorlighting.com/20_000_Watt_Halogen_Medium_To_High_Volta...

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Bare minimum:
$50 for a 100 amp breaker
$40 for the lamp socket
$5 a foot for however much wire you want

Want to just plug it into the wall and go:
$200 for a male and female plug
$100 for a knife switch to turn it on/off

And if you want to be able to dim it:
$2500 for the dimmer

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3051
Location: Vancouver, Canada

techieman33 wrote:

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Bare minimum:
$50 for a 100 amp breaker
$40 for the lamp socket
$5 a foot for however much wire you want

Want to just plug it into the wall and go:
$200 for a male and female plug
$100 for a knife switch to turn it on/off

And if you want to be able to dim it:
$2500 for the dimmer

Home sockets can only do 120v 15A which is about 1600W max.
You need a special socket and wiring to the incoming house power line for such a power hungry device.

techieman33
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 20:52
Posts: 109
Location: Kansas

Enderman wrote:
techieman33 wrote:

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Bare minimum:
$50 for a 100 amp breaker
$40 for the lamp socket
$5 a foot for however much wire you want

Want to just plug it into the wall and go:
$200 for a male and female plug
$100 for a knife switch to turn it on/off

And if you want to be able to dim it:
$2500 for the dimmer

Home sockets can only do 120v 15A which is about 1600W max.
You need a special socket and wiring to the incoming house power line for such a power hungry device.
!http://www.marinco.com/~/media/inriver/171087-3776.jpg?mw=410&mh=270!

A 15A breaker is good for 1800W if you have a good breaker that’s rated for 100% duty cycle. If now your looking at a little under 1500w continuous load. I did include the $200 for a male and female connector. And no special wiring should be needed. The lamp only needs one phase to power it, and most modern homes have 100A-200A services already. You may not be able to power much else in the house but you could power the lamp.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3051
Location: Vancouver, Canada

techieman33 wrote:

A 15A breaker is good for 1800W if you have a good breaker that’s rated for 100% duty cycle. If now your looking at a little under 1500w continuous load. I did include the $200 for a male and female connector. And no special wiring should be needed. The lamp only needs one phase to power it, and most modern homes have 100A-200A services already. You may not be able to power much else in the house but you could power the lamp.

Idk where you’re getting your prices from, but I can tell you right now that a 200A plug, socket, and ~1awg cable is going to cost a lot more than a grand…
And that’s not considering the cost of an electrician to rewire your house because normal homes have an electrical panel where the power is split off to all the breakers, and you would need to install the high current socket before the panel.
techieman33
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 20:52
Posts: 109
Location: Kansas
Enderman wrote:
techieman33 wrote:
A 15A breaker is good for 1800W if you have a good breaker that’s rated for 100% duty cycle. If now your looking at a little under 1500w continuous load. I did include the $200 for a male and female connector. And no special wiring should be needed. The lamp only needs one phase to power it, and most modern homes have 100A-200A services already. You may not be able to power much else in the house but you could power the lamp.
Idk where you’re getting your prices from, but I can tell you right now that a 200A plug, socket, and ~1awg cable is going to cost a lot more than a grand… And that’s not considering the cost of an electrician to rewire your house because normal homes have an electrical panel where the power is split off to all the breakers, and you would need to install the high current socket before the panel.

That’s a 240v lamp, so you would need 100 amps to power it. #3 wire runs about $1.50 a foot so $50 would get you about 10 feet from the breaker box, maybe you’d like to be further, but that’s enough cable if your just playing around. No electrician would be required here in the US, a homeowner is allowed to work on their own wiring. The socket wouldn’t need to be wired in before the breaker panel as long as the panel was rated for at least 100amps. As long as there is space in the panel just install the breaker like any other and wire it up.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3051
Location: Vancouver, Canada

techieman33 wrote:

That’s a 240v lamp, so you would need 100 amps to power it. #3 wire runs about $1.50 a foot so $50 would get you about 10 feet from the breaker box, maybe you’d like to be further, but that’s enough cable if your just playing around. No electrician would be required here in the US, a homeowner is allowed to work on their own wiring. The socket wouldn’t need to be wired in before the breaker panel as long as the panel was rated for at least 100amps. As long as there is space in the panel just install the breaker like any other and wire it up.

True, in that case you need 240v power. idk about you, but here we use 110V.

eebowler
eebowler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/13/2012 - 11:34
Posts: 1830
Location: Trinidad and Tobago GMT -4

Ugh sorry guys about the repost :/ It’s freaking annoying that I’m in here for way too long for too many days and still miss stuff. I was so excited by the output AND the set up the guy has!!!

Thanks Enderman for bringing me into the future! Checking out the vid now!

My gratitude to those who are willing and able to help others (in whatever way you can)! Being human is more than just existing for yourself. Smile

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 3051
Location: Vancouver, Canada

eebowler wrote:
Ugh sorry guys about the repost :/ It’s freaking annoying that I’m in here for way too long for too many days and still miss stuff. I was so excited by the output AND the set up the guy has!!!

Thanks Enderman for bringing me into the future! Checking out the vid now!

Haha yeah I wish there were more videos of people testing HMI lamps on youtube…

dw911
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 hours ago
Joined: 06/27/2014 - 07:44
Posts: 590
Location: UK

Can’t wait to see how he tops that light bulb video.
Although he’s probably still explaining to the police and the electricity company that the hundred + amp Current draw and the huge heat signature coming from his house, was in fact a simple light bulb test and not a industrial scale canabis growing factory running lol

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4172
Location: San Diego, CA

Enderman wrote:
techieman33 wrote:

That’s a 240v lamp, so you would need 100 amps to power it. #3 wire runs about $1.50 a foot so $50 would get you about 10 feet from the breaker box, maybe you’d like to be further, but that’s enough cable if your just playing around. No electrician would be required here in the US, a homeowner is allowed to work on their own wiring. The socket wouldn’t need to be wired in before the breaker panel as long as the panel was rated for at least 100amps. As long as there is space in the panel just install the breaker like any other and wire it up.

True, in that case you need 240v power. idk about you, but here we use 110V.

You don’t have 240V for any of your appliances?

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 3943
Location: Germany

Where this lights are used the costs for wiring and so on dont matter much

SawMaster
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 05/03/2015 - 17:18
Posts: 1802
Location: SC USA

Enderman wrote:
techieman33 wrote:

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Bare minimum:
$50 for a 100 amp breaker
$40 for the lamp socket
$5 a foot for however much wire you want

Want to just plug it into the wall and go:
$200 for a male and female plug
$100 for a knife switch to turn it on/off

And if you want to be able to dim it:
$2500 for the dimmer

Home sockets can only do 120v 15A which is about 1600W max.
You need a special socket and wiring to the incoming house power line for such a power hungry device.
!http://www.marinco.com/~/media/inriver/171087-3776.jpg?mw=410&mh=270!

Nah, you need to plug it in to your neighbor’s house because you won’t be able to afford the power bill otherwise without selling off your entire light collection Shocked

Phil