4th Annual BLF / Old Lumens Scratch Made Light Contest - Final results!
Judges have been working very hard and the results are finally in.
People's Choice Award voting has started. Please show your appreciation and vote here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/50856
Again, the competition was very tight and all finished lights were simply awesome! This made judging very difficult, and we had to make tough decisions when arranging the contestants to correct order.
While judging we not only concentrated on what we think was the best light in the competition, but went through all the build threads and systematically gave points based on the following criteria:
- Uniqueness/Innovativeness of the build: Is it a one of a kind? Different? Using New methods?
- Skill level of the finished build: Does it look like a hack job? Or were the finished parts/assemblies done with skill and care?
- Thoroughness of the build thread: Did the builder do a good job of showing and explaining to the forum, how he did the steps in the build?
- Documenting also the failures & obstacles: How did the builder solve the inevitable problems? Documenting the obstacles and using the power of the BLF community to solve them is seen as a big plus!
- *NEW* Possible new driver design or custom firmware is seen as a plus (especially when shared and open source in a true BLF spirit)
- Following the guidelines: Did the builder follow the rules and guidelines written in the contest thread?
Before going to the results, I'd like to thank once more all competitors for their hard work building the lights and documenting their builds for us readers to admire and learn from. Thank You very much!
..and then to results, with selected comments from judges.
- CRX: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47983
- "Mind bogglingly incredible."
- "What a neat set of beautiful classy gadgets."
- "I'm speechless. Each little component of the whole is a work of art. Stunning!"
- "The documentation, labor, and attention to detail is amazing."
- Rufusbduck: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/47990
- "What a beauty. Superb craftmanship."
- "Beautiful work and craftsmanship"
- MtnDon: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48238
- "Very unique!"
- "Wood in 3 colors, a bunch of glass, phosphor dome. Spectacular mix of parts to get to a really unique build."
- "Super cool idea and unique",
- alpg88: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/49551
- "Wow. High-tech build."
- "Original and complex"
- DavidEF: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48005
- "Impressive custom board!"
- "An interesting light and own CB designs!"
- MRsDNF: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48000
- "Never fails to impress. What a master!"
- "Such elegance, style and craftsmanship!"
- "Good Lord! Simply stunning fit and finish. Looks like steampunk magic!"
- "Stunning looking light!"
- fritz15: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48013
- "Beauty! Looks like a winner."
- "the thread, build, steps were all of high quality."
- "Not innovative but absolutely stunning build quality from Fritz as usual."
- "Looks nice. Does it work? I didn't see any beamshots or talk about the modes."
- lostheplot: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48053
- "Unique design, nice knurling and heat fins."
- "What a beauty!"
- "Cool light! A bit rough finish."
- "Another amazing looking light!"
- vestureofblood: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/50246
- "Another looker! Just lost points on the thread/documentation."
- "Lovely result! But the fast building of it meant less fun watching it come together."
- "Beautiful light. Didn't see much about the driver."
Disclaimer: Above post might contain referral links, but only to items that I myself have bought, tested & approved. Or items that, based on my experience, can be considered as good deals & worth sharing.