What moonlight output do you prefer and why?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

k-wong
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/18/2016 - 16:44
Posts: 55
Location: US
What moonlight output do you prefer and why?
About 0.2 lumens
22% (21 votes)
About 0.5 lumens
36% (35 votes)
1-3 lumens
27% (26 votes)
Moonlight? Total waste of a click!
8% (8 votes)
other (specify in comments)
6% (6 votes)
Total votes: 96
The Miller
The Miller's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 6427
Location: Charente France

Ha I discovered that the lighted tail is good enough for nightly toilet visits. Idk how many lumens we talk about.
But I am happy with a low low like the Bistro offers and again idk how much lumens that is.

(Hey much/many one of them must be wrong but both don’t feel wrong, both correct?)

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 1740
Location: Palo Alto CA

.2-.5 is perfect for me. love it in my tent at night when I go car camping and backpacking.

jon_slider
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 442
Location: Crowdifornia

I like .5 for waking to pee
I do not like .2

I like 1-3 lumens for use in a camper, and for EDC

I do not like Low first on an EDC, but Low first is fine for a nightstand or camper.

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 322

I always thought the ML-L-M-H levels are in Amps. How would I convert it to Lumens? I think the Biscotti has 0.1A if I remember,

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 568
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Voted for “other” because it depends. Generally I like about 0,3lm for walking around in total darkness and actually see where I’m going (this is where a stock Olight S1 trumps a stock S2, the S2’s moonlight is too dim for an 18650 torch in my book), but the 0,03lm of my dear Thrunite Ti3 is just awesome. Great for lighting up things on your hand like a book page, and it bothers nobody even if I shine it in their faces from less than 60cm away, as I found out in an unfortunate little accident one time Oops

Plus, less brightness equals more runtime, right? (although at such low current levels, it may not even make a difference given the inefficiencies of the system remain the same “large” percentage of the power consumption)

caramba wrote:
I always thought the ML-L-M-H levels are in Amps. How would I convert it to Lumens? I think the Biscotti has 0.1A if I remember,

I believe that’s 0.1%, not 0.1A.

I am Captain Gordon Freeman of the Intergalactic House of Pancakes, ordering you to open!

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 322

Jack Kellar wrote:

I believe that’s 0.1%, not 0.1A.

Thanks.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 3188
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Maybe i have bad night vision, but i find most moonlight modes are too dim to navigate properly in the dark.

Looking for:

5” parabolic reflector (for recoil light)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 57 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 1433
Location: Germany

Moonlight 1 lumen
Firefly 0.05-0.1 lumen

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 3188
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Aha, okay.
Would you consider the lowest mode of a Skilhunt H03 a moonlight mode?

Looking for:

5” parabolic reflector (for recoil light)

k-wong
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/18/2016 - 16:44
Posts: 55
Location: US

The wide variety of preferences is interesting, anywhere from .03 lm to 3 lumens so far! But it’s no surprise since moonlight is the one mode that is directly linked to our physiology in regards to our sensitivity to light in total darkness, and everyone seems to have a slightly different way of seeing.

More manufactures should consider user-adjustable moonlight modes to account for this; a 0.2 to 0.5 lumen difference in moonlight is going to make a much bigger user-experience impact than, say +/- 100 lumens, on a 1200 lumen turbo. I appreciate that a Zebralight UI allows you to do this and even some Manker/UTorch lights as well. There must be a few other brands out there … are there any clickies that do this or are they limited to e-switches?

Mkduffer
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 12/19/2015 - 02:31
Posts: 276
Location: Island of Hawaii

0.2 if possible, but 0.5 works. I like ceiling bouncing a light on the nightstand while I sleep, so the lower, the better. Blue tailcap light works, too. Makes it easy to find when I get up, doesn’t burn a lot of battery, doesn’t ruin my night vision and bright enough for basic lego/hot wheel avoidance.

People say I’m a flashaholic like it’s a bad thing…

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 322

k-wong wrote:
The wide variety of preferences is interesting, anywhere from .03 lm to 3 lumens so far! But it’s no surprise since moonlight is the one mode that is directly linked to our physiology in regards to our sensitivity to light in total darkness, and everyone seems to have a slightly different way of seeing.

More manufactures should consider user-adjustable moonlight modes to account for this; a 0.2 to 0.5 lumen difference in moonlight is going to make a much bigger user-experience impact than, say +/- 100 lumens, on a 1200 lumen turbo. I appreciate that a Zebralight UI allows you to do this and even some Manker/UTorch lights as well. There must be a few other brands out there … are there any clickies that do this or are they limited to e-switches?

+1
That’s a good idea, I usually have a bunch of old AAA AA batteries “adjust” or simulate a moonlight/firefly.

k-wong
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/18/2016 - 16:44
Posts: 55
Location: US

caramba wrote:
k-wong wrote:
The wide variety of preferences is interesting, anywhere from .03 lm to 3 lumens so far! But it’s no surprise since moonlight is the one mode that is directly linked to our physiology in regards to our sensitivity to light in total darkness, and everyone seems to have a slightly different way of seeing.

More manufactures should consider user-adjustable moonlight modes to account for this; a 0.2 to 0.5 lumen difference in moonlight is going to make a much bigger user-experience impact than, say +/- 100 lumens, on a 1200 lumen turbo. I appreciate that a Zebralight UI allows you to do this and even some Manker/UTorch lights as well. There must be a few other brands out there … are there any clickies that do this or are they limited to e-switches?

+1
That’s a good idea, I usually have a bunch of old AAA AA batteries “adjust” or simulate a moonlight/firefly.

Just be sure you’re not using them in any nice lights in case they leak Tired

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 322
k-wong wrote:
Just be sure you’re not using them in any nice lights in case they leak Tired

Good point. Thumbs Up

Ginseng
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 01/29/2017 - 22:26
Posts: 27
Location: NoVa

For these eyes with five decades of mileage on them, 1-3 lumens is perfect. The 1 lumen moon mode on the Acebeam EC50 Gen II is fine if a bit dimmer than ideal. I have other lights that are on the higher end of that range or even closer to 5 lumens. For navigating the house and checking on kids and other animals, this is just about perfect,
Wilkey

Phlogiston
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 10/27/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 136
Location: Scotland

I’m legally blind, with no low-light vision whatsoever, so “moonlight” for me is 5 to 10 lumens.

Even then, I almost never use that sort of level – I usually step up to something on the order of 25 or even 50 lumens, depending on beam profile. This is why I like BLF-348s, and Convoy lights with lowest modes at 5%.

All you firefly aficionados should probably hope never to encounter me on a campsite after dark Smile

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 414
Location: Ho Chi Minh City

1 lumen is enough for me, honestly, i hate some flashlights that has useless moonlight mode: too bright(5-6 lumen) or too dim{below 1 lumen)

Forgot my pen

Jinx
Jinx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/16/2011 - 11:35
Posts: 1011
Location: England

I use my Astrolux S41 around the house on lowest setting. It is about perfect for me as it is so floody too.
Bump it up one notch and I can see where stuff is in most rooms, rarely need more than that indoors. Not sure what the lumens are for the S41 tho???

Moon/firefly much less use on narrower beams I think.

Tumbleweed48
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2012 - 23:21
Posts: 566
Location: Canada

I believe the usefulness of moonlight modes are completely dependant upon the eyes of the user.

Personally, if I wake up and need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, the (claimed) 0.5 lumens from any of my Olights is simply painfully bright. A neutral AO1 or Thrunite offering less than half that value are much more comfortable.

My wife, on the other hand, finds the 0.5 level useless – and needs about 3 lumens. It’s sure nice that we have lots of choices.

Mkduffer
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 12/19/2015 - 02:31
Posts: 276
Location: Island of Hawaii

Tumbleweed48 wrote:
I believe the usefulness of moonlight modes are completely dependant upon the eyes of the user.

Personally, if I wake up and need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, the (claimed) 0.5 lumens from any of my Olights is simply painfully bright. A neutral AO1 or Thrunite offering less than half that value are much more comfortable.

My wife, on the other hand, finds the 0.5 level useless – and needs about 3 lumens. It’s sure nice that we have lots of choices.

+1

People say I’m a flashaholic like it’s a bad thing…

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 4872
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

k-wong wrote:
More manufactures should consider user-adjustable moonlight modes

If I recall correctly, Narsil (BLF Q8) lets you set the moon level.

Me, I like moon in the range of 0.20 lm to 0.50 lm. Anything in that range is fine. I don’t find firefly modes to be as useful (~0.01 lm to ~0.10 lm). My preferred spacing is approximately 0.2-0.5 lm, 3-10 lm, 30-50 lm, and … anything above that is optional. Moon, low, medium.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 5978
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

For me it’s somewhere between .5 and 1 lumen i have a couple one lumen lows and although i understand that some would think lower is better I generally disagree .One lumen really doesn’t offend and it’s actually bright enough to be useful ..where super low low moonlight or firefly modes can be just stupid and have very little actual usage .If you had to err it’s better to err on a bit more than not enuff… lots of super low lows are just for bragging rights or so the manufacturer can sell it as a 47 day runtime .. If you have the ability to change moon modes like the zebralights than a lower low is possible and nice to have .But if you can only have one choice it would have to be between a half and one lumen .

καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 585
Location: Sweden

ToyKeeper wrote:
k-wong wrote:
More manufactures should consider user-adjustable moonlight modes

If I recall correctly, Narsil (BLF Q8) lets you set the moon level.

Me, I like moon in the range of 0.20 lm to 0.50 lm. Anything in that range is fine. I don’t find firefly modes to be as useful (~0.01 lm to ~0.10 lm). My preferred spacing is approximately 0.2-0.5 lm, 3-10 lm, 30-50 lm, and … anything above that is optional. Moon, low, medium.

Manker MK34 lets you set the moonlight level anywhere from barely visible to 30 lumens. A very nice feature. I normally keep it at a firefly like level.

StandardBattery
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2016 - 08:51
Posts: 102
Location: MA, USA

There seems little sense is trying to choose a moonlight level, a firefly level, low level, medium level, or high level. They are all relative, and not all lights have them.

It would make more sense to have a list of tasks and then see if there is a preference level or the range of lumens people prefer for these tasks. Then one might be able to say something about which lights would be suitable for which tasks. Firefly, moon, ultra low, low… they are all just names with no standard on which they are based and they all have changed over time.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 57 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 1433
Location: Germany

For enthusiasts adjustable level might be good

But the majority of sold lights get to people that are happy to have more than one mode and that are not interested in adjustable modes or any fancy UI

Hawaiian Eyez
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/27/2014 - 01:12
Posts: 108
Location: Hawaii

0.5 to 1 lumen is a good moonlight mode for me…

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 6427
Location: Charente France

Lexel wrote:
For enthusiasts adjustable level might be good

But the majority of sold lights get to people that are happy to have more than one mode and that are not interested in adjustable modes or any fancy UI


this might be true, but not on BLF Wink
ZoomieFan
ZoomieFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2016 - 05:25
Posts: 40

By far the most ideal, but likely too complex/expensive is to hook up the flashlight to a computer or phone app.
Then configure the number of settings in a group. For each setting configure a percentage or lumen
That way everyone can configure the most ideal setting. That includes moonlight.

Or have a flashlight with 100 settings. Allow the user to pick 3 of them to put in the group for daily use.

hamedshh
hamedshh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 05/29/2015 - 17:30
Posts: 252
Location: iran

I think it be a little brighter than thing you write to vote i sence it about 4-5 lumen if i haven’t error.

God is the light of the heavens and the earth. A metaphor for His light is a niche in which there is a lamp placed in a glass. The glass is like a shining star which is lit from a blessed olive tree that is neither eastern nor western. Its oil almost lights up even though it has not been touched by the fire. It is light upon light. God guides to His light whomever He wants. God uses various metaphors. He has the knowledge of all things. (35)

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 131
Location: Wisconsin, USA

With my Zebralight SC62w, I prefer the brightest of the 3 moonlight modes which is rated at 0.4 lumens. Low is 3.4 lumens, which is too bright in my opinion to be considered moonlight.

The lowest moonlight (i.e firefly) is rated at 0.01 lumens and apparently can go for 5.5 months. That seems almost too low to be useful, but in a totally dark room, in the middle of the night, it’s enough lumens to maneuver around without waking anybody up. And most importantly, it’s enough light to make my son not afraid of the dark.

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

Pages