X6 TRIPLE VS. THE WORLD.

100 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
X6 TRIPLE VS. THE WORLD.

It’s not my first multi emitter light, and its not my brightest. I must say I really like it!

EE-X6
S1 battery tube
Triple Nichia
Cute optic
All bouncy things bypassed
Guppydrv on 20

Got 9.6A on fresh HG2

Some pics from tonight. Pole aprox 30yds away.

The line up.

X6 nichia

M43 nichia 5000k 70+CRI

C8s Amazon. only getting 2.2A on 4.17v VTC ideas on mods for the C8s?

X6

M43

C8s

Random cool stuff every post should have.

Edited by: BeardedRaleigh on 02/15/2017 - 23:35
KeepingItLight
KeepingItLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/15/2015 - 14:52
Posts: 608
Location: California

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing your great pics.

For a while now, I have felt that a Nichia 219B triple, such as the one you built, would be ideal for most indoor tasks, and many outdoor ones as well. I love the super wide "hot spot" created by the triple. I also try to stay with high CRI, so the Nichias are perfect.

As I recall, the ThorFire C8s has a regulated driver that does not use PWM. If my memory is right, then output should not increase when using a medium- or high-draw battery. I run mine on an NCR18650B.

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA

Unfortunately I did not build this one. I got it in trade. I am planning an X5 quad build though.

Or mod the C8s as far as I can. Makes a great pocket thrower.

cmflippen
cmflippen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/28/2015 - 20:11
Posts: 134

Nice Beetle!

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
cmflippen wrote:
Nice Beetle!

Thank you. It’s for sale/trade. Chico CA craigslist.

Cool car but may get back into wheelin. Just don’t drive it.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 1938
Location: Germany

Do a fet+7135*1 driver in the C8s

Lights-Out
Lights-Out's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/03/2017 - 20:07
Posts: 102
Location: canton

Nice pics glad u like it Smile

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
Lexel wrote:
Do a fet+7135*1 driver in the C8s

Just ordered an S2 xpl-hi 3b for $21. The C8 can wait. I like the look of these better and now I have a “matching” thrower and flooder.

Figured it’s not much more $ and I have another light. Haha.

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
Lights-Out wrote:
Nice pics glad u like it Smile

Did you do the build? Do you know who did?

Lights-Out
Lights-Out's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/03/2017 - 20:07
Posts: 102
Location: canton
BeardedRaleigh wrote:
Lights-Out wrote:
Nice pics glad u like it Smile

Did you do the build? Do you know who did?

I did the build

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
Lights-Out wrote:
BeardedRaleigh wrote:
Lights-Out wrote:
Nice pics glad u like it Smile

Did you do the build? Do you know who did?

I did the build

Sweet. Well, nice work.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 1105
Location: PA, USA

Pics of X6 triple and VW engine… Because we can.

Ti X6 Triple

My 68 Bus

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA

[quote=vwpieces]Pics of X6 triple and VW engine… Because we can.

Ti X6 Triple

Yep jealous of both. Would like to have a bus for camping.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 1105
Location: PA, USA

I prefer the hardtop campers. My 68 is a deluxe passenger bus but it has an old accessory under the rear seat that allows it to fold out flat to the rear deck. Some curtains and a sleeping bag I am good to go. No extra weight of the sink or fridge either.

Buses are good for Wheelin’ too. Yes thats Me. Thrashin in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey.

Justintoxicated
Justintoxicated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 12/28/2016 - 19:36
Posts: 80
Location: California

How about the X6 triple vs the S2+ triple?

 

Also which nichias are both the S2+ triple and the X6 triple?  219b? 219c?  (219c are availabel in 5000k)

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
Justintoxicated wrote:

How about the X6 triple vs the S2+ triple?


 


Also which nichias are both the S2+ triple and the X6 triple?  219b? 219c?  (219c are availabel in 5000k)

I’ll get some beamshots tonight. I have XPL-HI 1A in my s2+.
X6 has nichia. Unknown Tint. It’s a little more white than my 5k M43.
Bot are direct drive.

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 15044
Location: Heart of Texas

Glad you like the X6 triple, it’s been a favorite of mine for a few years now. Something about that Eagle Eye X6 that just really appeals to me. The host I built yesterday makes 2018 lumens on a single XP-L emitter. Smile I think I’ve built an X6 in just about every configuration imaginable.

It’s also fun to put a short tube on an X6 and run it from an 18350. Big Smile

Dale

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 1105
Location: PA, USA

Had a Sea Blue 66 Bug. Crying

Justintoxicated
Justintoxicated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 12/28/2016 - 19:36
Posts: 80
Location: California

BeardedRaleigh wrote:
Justintoxicated wrote:

How about the X6 triple vs the S2+ triple?

 

Also which nichias are both the S2+ triple and the X6 triple?  219b? 219c?  (219c are availabel in 5000k)

I'll get some beamshots tonight. I have XPL-HI 1A in my s2+. X6 has nichia. Unknown Tint. It's a little more white than my 5k M43. Bot are direct drive.

 

But is it 219b or 219c (Not a tint but LED type)  219c's are more efficient and brighter.

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
Justintoxicated wrote:

BeardedRaleigh wrote:
Justintoxicated wrote:

How about the X6 triple vs the S2+ triple?


 


Also which nichias are both the S2+ triple and the X6 triple?  219b? 219c?  (219c are availabel in 5000k)


I’ll get some beamshots tonight. I have XPL-HI 1A in my s2+. X6 has nichia. Unknown Tint. It’s a little more white than my 5k M43. Bot are direct drive.

 


But is it 219b or 219c (Not a tint but LED type)  219c’s are more efficient and brighter.

Wasn’t told by PO. Any way I can tell by looking at them?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 15044
Location: Heart of Texas

The 219C has a black surround and a white half circle off the dome at one corner, it makes it look like an over easy egg that’s spilled some off on one side.

By comparison, the 219B is a white ceramic substrate with a smallish dome compared to Cree emitters.

Dale

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA

So after taking that picture I put my light back together. Turned on and the switch melted. Unscrewed cap. What would cause this? Mcpcb touching sides of head?

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 15044
Location: Heart of Texas

Positive wire got cut when you tightened down the bezel, which is why I don’t bring in the two wires from the sides like that one. I drill a hole in center and bring the leads up through the middle so they may twist, but not get cut.

Dale

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 15044
Location: Heart of Texas

I built the first one similar to how yours is way back in 2014, I saw that it could twist and started going down the middle, I drew up a spacer plan both for use with the 32mm Noctigon and a big head filling variant for a 20mm quad and 24mm Carclo optic, I believe Nitro had some of those made once upon a time, based on my layout.

Not sure but I think I was the first to do the X6 triple, Simon was discontinuing the 32mm Noctigon as it wasn’t selling well and I talked him into keeping it in production, took a poll here and got interest up and then it caught on and a lot of these have been done.

I’m pretty sure I’ve made over 40 X6 lights, not sure how many of those were triples vs quads vs other exotic emitters, but a high percentage were triples for sure. I’ve used several feet of 1 3/8” copper bar stock making spacers. I think Nitro bought a 5’ bar and had the shop make a Bunch of em, a couple of years back.

Dale

Justintoxicated
Justintoxicated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 12/28/2016 - 19:36
Posts: 80
Location: California

BeardedRaleigh wrote:
So after taking that picture I put my light back together. Turned on and the switch melted. Unscrewed cap. What would cause this? Mcpcb touching sides of head?

 

Man, now I feel bad for asking which emitters.  Hope replacing the switch isn't too painful! Those are 219c s...  MCPCB touching the sides of the head should be fine.

 

DB Custom wrote:
I built the first one similar to how yours is way back in 2014, I saw that it could twist and started going down the middle, I drew up a spacer plan both for use with the 32mm Noctigon and a big head filling variant for a 20mm quad and 24mm Carclo optic, I believe Nitro had some of those made once upon a time, based on my layout. Not sure but I think I was the first to do the X6 triple, Simon was discontinuing the 32mm Noctigon as it wasn't selling well and I talked him into keeping it in production, took a poll here and got interest up and then it caught on and a lot of these have been done. I'm pretty sure I've made over 40 X6 lights, not sure how many of those were triples vs quads vs other exotic emitters, but a high percentage were triples for sure. I've used several feet of 1 3/8" copper bar stock making spacers. I think Nitro bought a 5' bar and had the shop make a Bunch of em, a couple of years back.

Now I feel bad for asking about emitters but I'm going to ask for a picture again anyways cause I don't understand where the spacer would go.   I'm interested because I bought parts to build one of these myself (Just can't find the noctigon board in stock anywhere).  I probably would have installed it the same way as OP.  Is it safe to drilla hole through the center of noctigon board?

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
DB Custom wrote:
Positive wire got cut when you tightened down the bezel, which is why I don’t bring in the two wires from the sides like that one. I drill a hole in center and bring the leads up through the middle so they may twist, but not get cut.

Would ya look at that.

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 1105
Location: PA, USA

Kinda wonder why the screw is still there. May I see a pic of the back of the spacer?

blueb8llz
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 06/02/2012 - 01:16
Posts: 2607
Location: California

DB Custom wrote:
Glad you like the X6 triple, it’s been a favorite of mine for a few years now. Something about that Eagle Eye X6 that just really appeals to me. The host I built yesterday makes 2018 lumens on a single XP-L emitter. Smile I think I’ve built an X6 in just about every configuration imaginable.

It’s also fun to put a short tube on an X6 and run it from an 18350. Big Smile

I think you have. Your the x6 wizard. But I don’t think I’ve seen you put a Xhp35hi in one yet…

BeardedRaleigh
BeardedRaleigh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2016 - 23:45
Posts: 213
Location: Chico, CA
vwpieces wrote:
Kinda wonder why the screw is still there. May I see a pic of the back of the spacer?

The screw was keeping the spacer from sitting flat on the shelf. It was rubbing on the head of the screw. And now that it is sitting flat (with some arctic silver) the head is tight with double o rings and the optic is loose. What the heck haha?

Pages