Test/review of Soshine 9V LiIon 650mAh (White)

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Test/review of Soshine 9V LiIon 650mAh (White)

Soshine 9V LiIon 650mAh (White)
DSC_7251

Official specifications:


  • Type: Rechargeable Li-Po
  • Dimension: (48.5+-0.5)*(26.1+-0.2)*(15.4+-0.3)mm (max)
  • C5mAh: 630(mini)
  • C5mA: 650mAh
  • Nominal Voltage: 7.4V
  • Capacity Nominal: 650mAh
  • Capacity Minimum: 630mAh
  • Service Life: 1000cycles(>=60% C5mAh,0.2C discharge)
  • Weight: 28g
  • Charging Voltage: 8.4+/-0.15V
  • Ambient Temperature Range: Charging: 0-45 centigrade, Discharging: -20 to +60 centigrade, Storage: -20 to +40 centigrade

Soshine%209V%20LiIon%20650mAh%20(White)-info

This is a two cell LiIon rechargeable battery.
It has over voltage protection at 8.63 and 8.64 volt.
It has over discharge protection at 5.08V and 5.57V.

DSC_7252DSC_7253

DSC_7254
DSC_7255
DSC_7256
DSC_7257

Soshine%209V%20LiIon%20650mAh%20(White)-Capacity

The two batteries are just about the same capacity.
The voltage is lower than NiMH and more like a nearly empty alkaline, but it will stay this way for a very long time.

Soshine%209V%20LiIon%20650mAh%20(White)-CapacityTime

Soshine%209V%20LiIon%20650mAh%20(White)-CapacityTimeHours

Soshine%209V%20LiIon%20650mAh%20(White)-Energy

Soshine%209V%20LiIon%20650mAh%20(White)-Charge



Conclusion

These batteries have more than double capacity compared to NiMH 9V batteries and are close to a alkaline battery at low load, except this battery will maintain high capacity and voltage at high load.

In moderate to high load situations this looks like a good replacement for alkaline.



Notes and links

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Compare to other 9V batteries: Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium/other

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

light-wolff
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 06/26/2013 - 16:16
Posts: 212
Location: Germany

Do they have overcurrent protection?

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12273
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

light-wolff wrote:
Do they have overcurrent protection?

Taken from above.
This is a two cell LiIon rechargeable battery.
It has over voltage protection at 8.63 and 8.64 volt.
It has over discharge protection at 5.08V and 5.57V.
Thanks for the review HKJ.

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
light-wolff wrote:
Do they have overcurrent protection?

I would expect it, but a fast test do not show any.
I need to charge the battery fully to do a correct test, but it looks like it may be at a rather high value for the cell size.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12273
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Over current, over voltage , I’ll learn to read one day. Facepalm

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 2652
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Is it normal for those over-voltage protection figures to be so high? Heck, I was going to suggest these could be assembled with 4.3V cells or about, since there's also around a 10% less capacity than wrapper claimed. These product overstatements seem too common between rewrappers, and the higher the figures, the bigger the lie. Flat Stare

Cheers Party

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

The over voltage protection is not that high, it would say it is a good value.
But the over current protection is way to high, I could draw above 2A from the cell (I will get more precise value when the cell is fully charged).

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

With a fully charged battery I could draw 4A without any protection kicking in. I did not try higher current, because I need the batteries for some other tests.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 2652
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Maybe there's no over-current protection? With the internal resistance I observe in the graphs for this 2S setup, wouldn't the over-discharge protection trip between 2 to 4A if the state of charge is low enough? It seems to me so. Steve

 

Cheers Party

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Barkuti wrote:

Maybe there’s no over-current protection? With the internal resistance I observe in the graphs for this 2S setup, wouldn’t the over-discharge protection trip between 2 to 4A if the state of charge is low enough? It seems to me so. Steve


 


Cheers Party

If you draw the current for some time the over discharge will trip, but not for a short 4A burst (Few seconds).
Normal single cell protection chips have over current protection, this is done by measuring the voltage across the transistor. Using a very good transistor will increase the current trip point. But I do not know the type of chip used in this battery and if it supports that type of over current protection.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

sandanbob
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 15:28
Posts: 350

Do these need a special charger?

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
sandanbob wrote:
Do these need a special charger?

It is best to use a LiIon charger, but a normal 9V charger can be used, then termination will be done by the over voltage protection.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

sandanbob
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 01/20/2012 - 15:28
Posts: 350

Thanks! These sound nice.

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

Can anyone help me understand the Voltage part of this battery?
I want 9V battery for my Bayangtoys X16 drone Tx.

The remote controller says it needs 6AA 1.5 V batteries, so total is 9V

If I read the instructions on this battery it says : “Rated Voltage: 7.4V”

Then how come this is 9v ? If anyone can recommend me a good battery which can maintain 9v then I would appreciate the help

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Alkaline batteries are 1.5V when full and below 1V when empty, this means a 9V battery is first supposed to be empty below 6V.
A 9V LiIon battery is 8.4V when fully charged and will be empty when at 6V, this matches fairly well with the 6 Alkaline.

Most equipment will work fine with a LiIon 9V battery, but there are probably a few exceptions.

I have a collection of discharge curves for 9V batteries with different chemistry here:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries9V/Common9Vcomparator.php

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

HKJ wrote:
Alkaline batteries are 1.5V when full and below 1V when empty, this means a 9V battery is first supposed to be empty below 6V.
A 9V LiIon battery is 8.4V when fully charged and will be empty when at 6V, this matches fairly well with the 6 Alkaline.

Most equipment will work fine with a LiIon 9V battery, but there are probably a few exceptions.

I have a collection of discharge curves for 9V batteries with different chemistry here:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries9V/Common9Vcomparator.php

WoW @ that comparison sheet.

May i know your opinion on which battery to buy for my Tx which requires 6 1.5V AA batteries?

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
DroneFisherMan wrote:
May i know your opinion on which battery to buy for my Tx which requires 6 1.5V AA batteries?

I would not replace AA batteries with a 9V battery, I doubt it can deliver power enough (A LiIon 9V probably can for some time).
My favorite AA replacement is eneloop either original or rebranded, as long as they are charged correctly and not run totally empty they may well last 10 years (That is the 1900-2000mAh type)

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Drecandlere
Drecandlere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 08/09/2018 - 04:41
Posts: 5

Good post!

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11
HKJ wrote:
DroneFisherMan wrote:
May i know your opinion on which battery to buy for my Tx which requires 6 1.5V AA batteries?

I would not replace AA batteries with a 9V battery, I doubt it can deliver power enough (A LiIon 9V probably can for some time).
My favorite AA replacement is eneloop either original or rebranded, as long as they are charged correctly and not run totally empty they may well last 10 years (That is the 1900-2000mAh type)

When you say “(A LiIon 9V probably can for some time)” Which LiIon 9V battery are you referring to ?
A:) I saw those eneloop rechargeable batteries but they have 1.2 V instead of recommended 1.5 V, so I use 6 1.2V , it would be 7.2V

B:) Can I get 9v LiPo battery ?

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

DroneFisherMan][quote=HKJ wrote:

A:) I saw those eneloop rechargeable batteries but they have 1.2 V instead of recommended 1.5 V, so I use 6 1.2V , it would be 7.2V

It is the same story, NiMH (Eneloop) starts at about 1.4V when full and are empty at about 1.0V, this matches Alkaline fairly well (Except a few devices)
I do also have a lot of AA/AAA curves: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php
Top part is rechargeable batteries (NiMH), bottom part is primary batteries (Alkaline)

DroneFisherMan][quote=HKJ wrote:
B:) Can I get 9v LiPo battery ?

9V blocks is two LiPo cells.
A good place to check for larger LiPo batteries is Hobby King:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?confi...

Look for two cell type.

To charge these cells you need a “Hobby Charger”, they can also be found at there, but notice that many of them is 12V powered, not mains powered.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

HKJ][quote=DroneFisherMan][quote=HKJ wrote:

A:) I saw those eneloop rechargeable batteries but they have 1.2 V instead of recommended 1.5 V, so I use 6 1.2V , it would be 7.2V

It is the same story, NiMH (Eneloop) starts at about 1.4V when full and are empty at about 1.0V, this matches Alkaline fairly well (Except a few devices)
I do also have a lot of AA/AAA curves: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php
Top part is rechargeable batteries (NiMH), bottom part is primary batteries (Alkaline)

DroneFisherMan wrote:
HKJ wrote:
B:) Can I get 9v LiPo battery ?

9V blocks is two LiPo cells.
A good place to check for larger LiPo batteries is Hobby King:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?confi...

Look for two cell type.

To charge these cells you need a “Hobby Charger”, they can also be found at there, but notice that many of them is 12V powered, not mains powered.

I thought 2 cell is 2s which means 3.7 × 2 = 7.4 V

Am I right?

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

DroneFisherMan wrote:

I thought 2 cell is 2s which means 3.7 × 2 = 7.4 V

Am I right?

As I wrote above that matches Alkaline fine enough.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

HKJ wrote:
DroneFisherMan wrote:

I thought 2 cell is 2s which means 3.7 × 2 = 7.4 V

Am I right?

As I wrote above that matches Alkaline fine enough.


Oki doki bro. Thanks
DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

will this battery be able to deliver the 9v performance?

9.6 V 2400mAh

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

DroneFisherMan wrote:
will this battery be able to deliver the 9v performance?

“9.6 V 2400mAh”:https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/9-6-V-2400mAh-Remote-Control-To...

When charged it will start a bit above 11V and then drop to 8 volt during use.
It is eight AA sized NiMH cells.
I doubt they are low self discharge types, i.e. they will self discharge in less than a couple of months

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

HKJ wrote:
DroneFisherMan wrote:
will this battery be able to deliver the 9v performance?

“9.6 V 2400mAh”:https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/9-6-V-2400mAh-Remote-Control-To...

When charged it will start a bit above 11V and then drop to 8 volt during use.
It is eight AA sized NiMH cells.
I doubt they are low self discharge types, i.e. they will self discharge in less than a couple of months

If its rechargeable then volt should be 1.2V and 8 AA means 9.6V? Right?

My concern is will it burn my circuit board if i supply more than 9 V?

Thanks for taking time to help me out

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

DroneFisherMan wrote:

If its rechargeable then volt should be 1.2V and 8 AA means 9.6V.

My concern is will it burn my circuit board if i supply more than 9 V?

No, for rechargeable batteries the voltage is some sort of average voltage, that means when charged the voltage will be higher and when empty the voltage will be lower.
At higher load a NiMH battery will have higher voltage than a Alkaline cell, even though it is only rated 1.2V and Alkaline is rated 1.5V. I wrote a bit about it here: https://lygte-info.dk/info/ComparisonOfAABatteryChemistry%20UK.html

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

HKJ wrote:
DroneFisherMan wrote:

If its rechargeable then volt should be 1.2V and 8 AA means 9.6V.

My concern is will it burn my circuit board if i supply more than 9 V?

No, for rechargeable batteries the voltage is some sort of average voltage, that means when charged the voltage will be higher and when empty the voltage will be lower.
At higher load a NiMH battery will have higher voltage than a Alkaline cell, even though it is only rated 1.2V and Alkaline is rated 1.5V. I wrote a bit about it here: https://lygte-info.dk/info/ComparisonOfAABatteryChemistry%20UK.html

thanks man

so last question then I am done eating your brain

If i use that 9.6V battery will it burn the electronics inside compared to 9 V LiIon rechargeable battery you said could give me some performance

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

Conclusion

The voltage printed on the cells, do not have much relation to actual voltage when using the cell.
Alkaline marked with 1.5 volt has lower voltage than NiMH marked with 1.2 volt at higher loads (Like a flashlight on high). At very low loads alkaline will be better than NiMH.
Lithium is the top performing chemistry for high voltage, high capacity and fairly high current at the same time (It is also the best at low temperature).
NiZn has too high voltage and with the short lifetime it is not really interesting.
LiIon may be interesting for devices that requires more voltage than NiMH can provide, but watch out for the self discharge.

+1 for this info man!

HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6111
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

DroneFisherMan wrote:

so last question then I am done eating your brain

If i use that 9.6V battery will it burn the electronics inside compared to 9 V LiIon rechargeable battery you said could give me some performance

Probably not, but there is no guarantee.

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

DroneFisherMan
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2018 - 15:58
Posts: 11

HKJ wrote:
DroneFisherMan wrote:

so last question then I am done eating your brain

If i use that 9.6V battery will it burn the electronics inside compared to 9 V LiIon rechargeable battery you said could give me some performance

Probably not, but there is no guarantee.

After reading that article on actual voltage and voltage under load, I have decided to buy eneloop AA 1.2 rechargeable batteries. I hope i get desired voltage to run the Tx
Even though it needs 9V

Pages