Some notices to DQG Tiny 26650 V3.0 (post by designer and producer: GEORGE)

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

I am sorry, I am not so understand your mean.

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

RobertB wrote:
Hi George, nice to have you here. My DQG 26650 3 driver was broken at the factory, but banggood sent a new driver. It’s really not difficult to line up the switch properly. I sanded down the tips on the new driver so it’s lightly press fit and doesn’t fall out when removing the tube from the head when greasing the o-ring. Enjoying the light very much, thank you!

edit… I have both the NW and the CW, and neither one had any glue anywhere.

WOW, nearly 5 reported plus yours without gluing! usually I am very proud to my memory, almost not use notebook to help remembering. maybe I should Introspection myself now.
when do you purchase your lights? from banggood? they are first run out of China.

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

thank you, dear friend. about drivers, yes, they all custom made, it does not so easy to design as small as could still with good performance, usually need special components, they are expansive and rare, sometimes need to cost many time to locate the real producer. and sometimes I need to bag them to supply lower quantity of order to me, I think you know what I mean, ha.

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

no excect time, but I think will soon.

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38
X0R wrote:
Offtopic, about tiny 18650: 1. why you used rubber button instead metal as it was in previous rev? 2. what about to put a magnet to tailcap in next revision. It would be a great improvement for edc flashlight

good question.
1. first, tiny 18650 3th ‘s water resistance is not so steady due to the assemble process much complex at the button, then, solid button usually will lead unexpected opertion if you put at pocket or at other same condition. so, I change to Silica gel button, rubber is not good for button.
2. about magnet, I does want to. but what do you suggestion to place, inside tail cap or outside, if outside, 0.8-1mm in height, can accept, but it will so easy to wear the magnet suface, very urgly after weared; if inside the cap, should 2-3 time height compare to former one to archive same force, and the construction of electric contact should change to another method, so, I cannot decide how to do. Smile

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

about magnet, an easy way: use no protective 18650, find a magnet height around 4mm, diameter 18, just put onto the negtive of the battery (cut the plastic skin off at the negtive of battery), I think it maybe can work, and same to tiny 26650 3th.

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

have tested: 0.9*12 magnet, 3 pieces can vertial, but cannot horizontal. 4 pieces can both direction. so I think if more diameter, 2-3mm can work fine.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3464
Location: USA, Michigan

yishenger wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Hi George, nice to have you here. My DQG 26650 3 driver was broken at the factory, but banggood sent a new driver. It’s really not difficult to line up the switch properly. I sanded down the tips on the new driver so it’s lightly press fit and doesn’t fall out when removing the tube from the head when greasing the o-ring. Enjoying the light very much, thank you!

edit… I have both the NW and the CW, and neither one had any glue anywhere.

WOW, nearly 5 reported plus yours without gluing! usually I am very proud to my memory, almost not use notebook to help remembering. maybe I should Introspection myself now.
when do you purchase your lights? from banggood? they are first run out of China.

My first one was ordered on December 8th, and second one January 5th. Both from Banggood. I am glad they have no glue Smile

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 45 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3768

My review unit didn’t have any glue, but I’m glad it came like this. The driver retaining plate falling off is not a big deal, just align it again and keep pressure on it while screwing back the battery tube.

After many uses I’m still very impressed by the Tiny 3, great job George!

By the way you said replacement drivers available, do you know where can we buy it?

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3977
Location: California

Welcome to BLF George. Big Smile

I’m a big fan of DQG lights, and they’ve just gotten better with each successive version. The current crop of DQG lights are outstanding.

  • Some of the early models had issues. My original DQG18650 had issues with mode switching (twist on-off), and with battery fitting (the battery tube tapered. All but the thinnest cells would get stuck).
  • I really like the DQG 18650 rev 4. Looks and feels great in the hand, the switch works great, only the UI was lacking.
  • The new DQG 26650 rev 3 is the best yet. Amazing output and feel in the hand. Great size and runtimes. The UI is much improved from that of the DQG 18650 rev4! Your latest UI fixes just about all the concerns I had with the prior UI. I can also confirm that on my rev 3 26650, the head and battery tube are indeed glued together.

Suggestion for improving the UI:

  • Shortcut to Turbo from off: Current UI is hold the power button down for 2 seconds. That’s a bit long. Reduce that to 1 second.

Suggestions for future flashlights:

  • How about a sideswitch aluminum 1xAA/14500 light similar to the DQG 18650?
  • How about a version of the DQG 18650 with a zoomable aspheric lens instead of a TIR?

LightRider
LightRider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 08/05/2015 - 09:52
Posts: 2007
Location: U.P. MI, USA

I am seeing the reports of lights that have not been glued as you believe they should be. I hope that someone isn’t producing lights without your knowledge? I hate to even suggest this but it is a very common and unfortunate betrayal in this business:(

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

Firelight2 wrote:
Welcome to BLF George. Big Smile

I’m a big fan of DQG lights, and they’ve just gotten better with each successive version. The current crop of DQG lights are outstanding.

  • Some of the early models had issues. My original DQG18650 had issues with mode switching (twist on-off), and with battery fitting (the battery tube tapered. All but the thinnest cells would get stuck).
  • I really like the DQG 18650 rev 4. Looks and feels great in the hand, the switch works great, only the UI was lacking.
  • The new DQG 26650 rev 3 is the best yet. Amazing output and feel in the hand. Great size and runtimes. The UI is much improved from that of the DQG 18650 rev4! Your latest UI fixes just about all the concerns I had with the prior UI. I can also confirm that on my rev 3 26650, the head and battery tube are indeed glued together.

Suggestion for improving the UI:

  • Shortcut to Turbo from off: Current UI is hold the power button down for 2 seconds. That’s a bit long. Reduce that to 1 second.

Suggestions for future flashlights:

  • How about a sideswitch aluminum 1xAA/14500 light similar to the DQG 18650?
  • How about a version of the DQG 18650 with a zoomable aspheric lens instead of a TIR?

about shortcut to turbo from off, yes, its a bit long, got this suggestion, thank you.
about future flashlghts, maybe will do, but now, not on plan.
yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38
LightRider wrote:
I am seeing the reports of lights that have not been glued as you believe they should be. I hope that someone isn’t producing lights without your knowledge? I hate to even suggest this but it is a very common and unfortunate betrayal in this business:(

Hi, I am not so understand what you mean at last sentance.
indeed, from now, 6-7 reported without any glue, it make me nevous, I should find the reasonable answer. I belive I glued every one, because all of them are assembled myself, it cannot be explained by accidental forgoten gluing. usually, I drop a little glue at the battery tube screw near O-ring, I think this place will let the glue concentrated without affected by screw action, maybe it is wrong place, best way I should check one by one not by sampling.

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

you can ask the place where you buy this light, then turn to me, quantity is limited, only for confirmed fixing use.

LightRider
LightRider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 08/05/2015 - 09:52
Posts: 2007
Location: U.P. MI, USA

George, I’m sorry, I should have been more clear. What I want to say is: People will steal your design if they believe there is money to be made. It happens very often in china. Factories will make extra parts products and even complete lights in the off hours and sell without the designer knowing about it. Sometimes even complete factories are copied.

If you suspect this could have happened, please let us know. I can’t speak for everyone but I know there are a lot of us here that would help if we could.

All this to say, I think this is an unlikely explanation in your case. Maybe the glue
On some lights was very little and went unnoticed by the purchaser?

yishenger
yishenger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/26/2013 - 23:09
Posts: 38

thank you. I see now, at current, I don’t think there have copy of this light in the market, but the idea be stealen is much often and I also think it is nature rules (although personal feeling is unwilling), otherwise human cannot go developments. so, at current first I should question myself why have this problem, it cannot explain by forget gluing as I belive, now most possibility as you said maybe the glue is very little, but I can remember I does have do some testing of the glue force, or maybe my force is weak.
I am a short guy strongly loving small and powerful tools. Smile

X0R
X0R's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 10:09
Posts: 64
Location: Ukraine
yishenger wrote:
have tested: 0.9*12 magnet, 3 pieces can vertial, but cannot horizontal. 4 pieces can both direction. so I think if more diameter, 2-3mm can work fine.

For example in my current edc Skilhunt H03, used 16 * 2 magnet, tailcap thikness is 0.5mm, it can easily hold flashlight in horizontal position.
Overall space after battery end, is 2 + 0.5 = 2.5mm.
Maybe for shorter tube of the tiny 18650, could be used 1.5mm magnet. It would be 2mm thick tailcup with magnet.

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 min ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2670
Location: Greece

Thanks for being here George !

I received mine some days ago , and i really like it . Thanks for this nice light , really looking forward for a 18650 with 4 leds .

Dirt
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 01/28/2016 - 23:17
Posts: 450

Just reading this thread makes me want to be a future customer! Nice job George.

T18
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1163

Hi George, really glad you came to BLF welcome,

I was going in circles with Alysonhe at Banggood regarding your lights here the 26650 and finally I suggested to Alysonhe to send you an invitation to come to BLF were you can get a better understanding of what some of the issues are.
So I got Alysonhe’s message last night that you are now here at BLF, so again real glad your here George.

I haven’t had time to read all the posts here but took a few pictures this morning to better help you understand what I see as an issue with the driver retainer mostly,

I not only bought one DQG but during conversations with Alysonhe I bought a second one to see if what I was thinking might be correct and I think it is,

The retainer’s are not only undersized but they are different sizes also, no consistency,

I see talk about glue, neither of mine are glued, well that is not accurate, when I got the first one this is how I found out about the retainer in the first place,
I thought I was unscrewing the tail cap but was actually unscrewing battery tube from the head then the head and the tube came apart and out dropped the retainer in my lap and the driver was hanging by it’s two wires,

I tried to remove the tail cap from the battery tube with my hands, but I had to use two rubber strap wrenches and some light flame to get that tail cap off,
I know it seems unbelievable but that tail cap was GLUED to the battery tube, I took a picture of what I saw but can’t find it just yet.

I figured out how to reassemble all of the driver, align switch, used a pencil to hold everything down and drop on the parts and then the tube, well got it working with the switch perfectly so I run up the light and it got fairly warm so I look in the optics and I see all this dirt in the optics so no big deal and went to clean it out,

I didn’t press down on the optics as I turned the unglued bezel I perfectly dedomed all 6 outside LEDs,

Anyhow, that’s it George, your assemblers should tell you that this retainer which I assume is supposed to be a press fit like it is in the 18650 which I also have and it is tight,
I have never even tried to remove the retainer in the 18650 because there’s not need to, switch on that light is OK,

You could possibly come up with a switch that has a longer nub sticking out towards the boot, with it attached to the board like that and with these 26650’s having off sized machining I have to make sure and push the driver towards the boot in order to make the switch work perfectly,

Here’s a picture of what I see and hope it makes since to you,
You can see that out of two 26650 the retainers are both different sizes, so that’s something with whoever is machining your retainers and there’s a picture of the gap between the retainer and the threaded wall,

Thanks for coming George, I personally love all of your products and if I can help I’d sure like to,
I am happy with my lights

Edit out garbage, but think I am still to long..

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3464
Location: USA, Michigan

T18, no offense or anything, but George, with his limited english, may have a difficult time devouring your wall of text. Maybe not Smile

T18
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1163

RobertB wrote:
T18, no offense or anything, but George, with his limited english, may have a difficult time devouring your wall of text. Maybe not Smile

I agree, have been sort of stressing over it, and debating whether to cut some out, some things could have been left out.
I am most worried about DQG and this light in particular, something is really wrong, I have at least a dozen of their lights and close tolerances as always been obvious to me, so what happened here is odd?
But yes a wall of txt for sure, as usual, I’m long winded and extremely detailed to a fault, maybe I should just edit some. Thank you Robert, I do respect your opinion or advise, comment, got thru to me anyhow..
Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

yishenger wrote:
thank you. I see now, at current, I don’t think there have copy of this light in the market, but the idea be stealen is much often and I also think it is nature rules (although personal feeling is unwilling), otherwise human cannot go developments.
I think that’s a great attitude. Thumbs Up
And it’s why China is probably going to ‘win the race’ of technical and industrial development very soon!
(Maybe they have already..)
T18
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1163

It happened to Jaxman and by manufacturers and vendors that you’d never had suspected would do such a thing.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

T18 wrote:
It happened to Jaxman and by manufacturers and vendors that you’d never had suspected would do such a thing.

Yeah.. As yishenger said: “although personal feeling is unwilling”, and in our culture it’s even illegal.
Somewhere in the middle would be best i.m.o.
In our culture developments are often slow because of patents…
ediaz
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 16:26
Posts: 11
Location: Madrid

Another fan of you!, from Spain very good flash lights, I have a spy and a v4 18650, I using every day!! thanks to go to the forum even with you english!! Smile mine is very bad too Smile

Boro
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 02/03/2012 - 15:52
Posts: 652

I haven’t had time to read all the posts here but took a few pictures this morning to better help you understand what I see as an issue with the driver retainer mostly, By T18

Yet, you find the time to author a post poorly disquised as helpful but negative.

You clearly expect George and others to read your post yet you do not extend the same courtesy to the other members. Why the double standard? I encourage other members to look at T 18’s past posts and you will find that they are inherently negative and complaint filled. Feel free to review my history of posting as a comparison. No double standard here.

Why don’t you start your own company, since you clearly believe you have the expertise and from your posting- you have the time necessary .

You are constantly picking on people from other cultures, you have a habit of deleted many of your posts which were rude and crude. You are just a bully.
DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 week ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

Hello George. love my DQG.. is there any plan on putting different LED? maybe XHP 70? of course it will get hot very fast, but it sure is will be a good conversation piece;)

Maybe XHP35 HI on slightly longer head? Big Smile

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

LightRider
LightRider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 08/05/2015 - 09:52
Posts: 2007
Location: U.P. MI, USA

Boro wrote:
I haven’t had time to read all the posts here but took a few pictures this morning to better help you understand what I see as an issue with the driver retainer mostly, By T18

Yet, you find the time to author a post poorly disquised as helpful but negative.

You clearly expect George and others to read your post yet you do not extend the same courtesy to the other members. Why the double standard? I encourage other members to look at T 18’s past posts and you will find that they are inherently negative and complaint filled. Feel free to review my history of posting as a comparison. No double standard here.

Why don’t you start your own company, since you clearly believe you have the expertise and from your posting- you have the time necessary .

You are constantly picking on people from other cultures, you have a habit of deleted many of your posts which were rude and crude. You are just a bully.

Hey, hold on a second. I see no problem with the post from T18. It is critisism with positive reinforcement. This is a good way to offer the information in his post. And I think his observations are helpfull. There has been some questionable quality issues with this light, though they are minor, and I think I it is information that will be helpful to George.

Anyway, what was said is usefull information and it was offered as such. In my opinion anyhow…

Edit: ok, I see the post may have been edited by the time I read it. I did not read the origional post. So my comment is only in regard to the edited post and I may be too hard on boro.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13298
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

LightRider wrote:
Boro wrote:
I haven’t had time to read all the posts here but took a few pictures this morning to better help you understand what I see as an issue with the driver retainer mostly, By T18

Yet, you find the time to author a post poorly disquised as helpful but negative.

You clearly expect George and others to read your post yet you do not extend the same courtesy to the other members. Why the double standard? I encourage other members to look at T 18’s past posts and you will find that they are inherently negative and complaint filled. Feel free to review my history of posting as a comparison. No double standard here.

Why don’t you start your own company, since you clearly believe you have the expertise and from your posting- you have the time necessary .

You are constantly picking on people from other cultures, you have a habit of deleted many of your posts which were rude and crude. You are just a bully.

Hey, hold on a second. I see no problem with the post from T18. It is critisism with positive reinforcement. This is a good way to offer the information in his post. And I think his observations are helpfull. There has been some questionable quality issues with this light, though they are minor, and I think I it is information that will be helpful to George.

Anyway, what was said is usefull information and it was offered as such. In my opinion anyhow…

Easy guys. I believe the post your talking about had been edited before you read it as T18 mentioned. Lets keep it nice and show yishenger what a terrific honest place we have here. Smile

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Pages