Best charge rate for 30Q Battery?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 1309
Location: USA

FreeMagenta wrote:
For an example how different charge/discharge currents can affect battery life, look here: https://batteryworkshop.msfc.nasa.gov/presentations/Perf_Safe_Test_Panas...

Unfortunately it isn’t for 30Qs but gives a rough image how does it look .


It’s interesting, but like you stated, it’s for an NCR cell which was not designed to handle high charge/discharge current. It would be nice to see how a high current INR cell such as the 30Q would do on such a test.
Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 549
Location: France

FreeMagenta wrote:
For an example how different charge/discharge currents can affect battery life, look here: https://batteryworkshop.msfc.nasa.gov/presentations/Perf_Safe_Test_Panas...

Unfortunately it isn’t for 30Qs but gives a rough image how does it look.

Not as extensive as the Pana tests but there are quite a few at the end of this Samsung INR18650-30Q datasheet
Cycle life – charge@4A discharge@15A, see page 8/17
Cycle life – charge@4A discharge@22A, see page 9/17

ssschen
ssschen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 22:11
Posts: 296
Location: Australia
Pete7874 wrote:
ssschen wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
If the “End” display is blinking, then they are still charging back up. And if so, what you’re seeing is the current charging voltage, not final. Once the “End” display stops blinking, this will be an indication that the re-charging has finished and you should see voltage close to 4.22.

I didn’t realise the “End” blinking display means it has not finished. Crappppppppppp! Now I got to do it all over again. Back in the charger all of them go. Facepalm


But you already got your result (capacity), so all you need to do is just top them off at this point. No need to run the whole NOR Test again.

I put them back on charge right before I went to bed last night, and woke up to the charger saying they are on 19xx mAh with a solid END on display this time. I am going to re-do the NOR test again, but won’t take them out this time all 4 slots display a solid END.

I was a bit too impatient last night, as I wanted to try them out on the Zanflare F1. On an old Panasonic 18650B (which I believe to be unprotected), I wasn’t able to engage turbo mode. Or rather, it seems double clicking it into turbo mode does not seem to output double the light output. I know I am sidetracking on the topic, does anyone know the max discharge current rate on the green Panasonic 18650B?

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 519
Location: Manila, Philippines

According to this datasheet (note that the PDF says “tentative”, so it may not be final…)

http://www.batteryonestop.com/baotongusa/products/datasheets/li-ion/SANY...

the Sanyo NCR18650B has max continuous discharge current of 4.875A.

I wonder if the Panasonic NCR18650B is the same as the Sanyo NCR18650B…

Re: LiitoKala Li-500 Engineer’s ‘NOR’ test, (also refer to HKJ’s review for more info), it does a Charge (to Full 4.20v), then Discharge (to approximately 2.80-2.84v cut-off voltage), then does a Charge (to Full).

The display shows an “END” when the Discharge portion of the test has been completed, and if I’m not mistaken, the time display (eg. 6 hours something) is the total time it took to discharge the battery from Full to the Cut-off voltage.

Note that when the “END” is shown, the Lii-500 charger will be charging the battery back to Full, so if the voltage is not yet near 4.20v, then the charger is still charging up the batteries (even when the “END” indicator has been shown), afaik, there will be no indication that it has finished charging to full (last stage of the NOR test), other than the voltage has risen to 4.20v (I think it’s mentioned that the Lii-500’s voltage display won’t update/change anymore after finishing final charging phase? (I could be wrong though..)

Also note that the discharge rate, if I remember correctly is set to 0.5A or 0.25A, depending on the Charge rate selection (1000ma & 700mA Charge rate selected = 500mA Discharge rate). So the total discharging time will be longer if 0.5A charge rate is selected (ie. 0.25A discharge rate)

Zulumoose
Zulumoose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 04/13/2017 - 09:25
Posts: 497
Location: South Africa
ssschen wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
If the “End” display is blinking, then they are still charging back up. And if so, what you’re seeing is the current charging voltage, not final. Once the “End” display stops blinking, this will be an indication that the re-charging has finished and you should see voltage close to 4.22.

I didn’t realise the “End” blinking display means it has not finished. Crappppppppppp! Now I got to do it all over again. Back in the charger all of them go. Facepalm

Yup, my understanding is for the NORmal test it is a 3 step process.

1) Charge cells completely to 4.2V
2) Run at constant .25A until discharged, measuring capacity (Don’t remember the V cutoff here)
3) Charge fully again

If in doubt whether it has finished, note the voltage and check again in 5 minutes.

Beam me up!

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 1309
Location: USA

Zulumoose wrote:

Yup, my understanding is for the NORmal test it is a 3 step process.

1) Charge cells completely to 4.2V
2) Run at constant .25A until discharged, measuring capacity (Don’t remember the V cutoff here)
3) Charge fully again

If in doubt whether it has finished, note the voltage and check again in 5 minutes.


In step 1, if you set the charge rate to either 0.7A or 1A, then in step 2 the discharge rate will be 0.5A.
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 1309
Location: USA

d_t_a wrote:
, afaik, there will be no indication that it has finished charging to full (last stage of the NOR test), other than the voltage has risen to 4.20v

When it has finished charging to full, the word “END” stops blinking. That’s your indication that the entire Nor Test has completed.
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 1309
Location: USA

ssschen wrote:
Or rather, it seems double clicking it into turbo mode does not seem to output double the light output.

Just don’t set your expectations too high. Turbo on this light is theoretically giving you double the lumens, but to a human eye that is not going to look twice as bright. That’s just not how it works.

Most reviews I’ve seen on this light state there isn’t a whole lot of visual difference between high and turbo. But you should still be able to see some difference. Using a higher drain cell, such as 30Q, may in fact help.

ssschen
ssschen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 22:11
Posts: 296
Location: Australia

Pete7874 wrote:
ssschen wrote:
Or rather, it seems double clicking it into turbo mode does not seem to output double the light output.

Just don’t set your expectations too high. Turbo on this light is theoretically giving you double the lumens, but to a human eye that is not going to look twice as bright. That’s just not how it works.

Most reviews I’ve seen on this light state there isn’t a whole lot of visual difference between high and turbo. But you should still be able to see some difference. Using a higher drain cell, such as 30Q, may in fact help.

Finally got the 4 30Q fully charged, took 6 hours to discharge 3000mA, and probably another 3 hours to charge since I selected the highest charging current on the Liitokola 500. Popped them into the Zanflare F1, and you are right that it doesn’t seem to be double the brightness to the naked eye, but certainly looks noticeably brighter. Tested the current drain at turbo, and was showing 3.30A. I can’t remember what it was when I had the Panasonic NCR18650B in it, but I think might be less than 2A.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 519
Location: Manila, Philippines
Pete7874 wrote:
d_t_a wrote:
, afaik, there will be no indication that it has finished charging to full (last stage of the NOR test), other than the voltage has risen to 4.20v
When it has finished charging to full, the word “END” stops blinking. That’s your indication that the entire Nor Test has completed.

Thanks, learned something new. =)

Pages