Imalent DT70 battery contact problem

98 posts / 0 new
Last post
Terry White
Terry White's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 09/22/2016 - 04:14
Posts: 659
Location: South Carolina

I have two sitting about 3 feet from me the DN70 and 35 ad both are working perfectly. It is a newer company so that could all change at any moment, but I have had the 35 for a couple of months now and the 70 for about a month no problems.

 

I have had 2 Streamlight Stingers in the last 6 months and both died when they were dropped about 3 feet for the first one during a hunt, and the other was dropped while it was still in the shipping carton so no way to say for sure if it was D.O.A. or when it was dropped here.

 

Then on the flip side of those I have an old original Ultrafire sk68 that has been beat, dropped, kicked, stepped on and 2 years later it still works every time I reach for it.

 

I am not outright defending Imalent. I am saying that when I contacted them directly it did take a few days to get a reply but I had no problem with their support.

Any light can have an issue and almost all rate their lumen count far above anything realistic.

Terry White

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 1804
Location: Houston Texas

I wish they would offer to send replacement parts to customers that have warranty issues and the knowledge to fix it themselves. Currently they want people to ship their light back to China at roughly $50 one way with no insurance.

I was thinking about rolling the dice on a DN70 and hoping I got a good one, but I’m not really a gambler.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

NarsilM user videos https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWW2000

Terry White
Terry White's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 09/22/2016 - 04:14
Posts: 659
Location: South Carolina

JasonWW wrote:
I wish they would offer to send replacement parts to customers that have warranty issues and the knowledge to fix it themselves. Currently they want people to ship their light back to China at roughly $50 one way with no insurance. I was thinking about rolling the dice on a DN70 and hoping I got a good one, but I'm not really a gambler.

 

I did tell them up front that me shipping anything to China was out of the question. I asked if they had any dealer in the states at all that I could maybe order parts or even ship it to them if I had to.

Got it worked out before any of it came to that.

Honestly though it kind of surprised me when they agreed to start including a spare USB cover. I figured well that is a start. 

Terry White

cclight
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 15:53
Posts: 33
Location: Brazil

If the light is bad when it arrives the issue should be resolved with the retailer, not the manufacturer. One must check the retailer policy to see if the return cost is up to them or to the buyer.

It seems that what’s specific to Imalent is that they don’t sell parts. Warranty is always a risk when buying from abroad, be it from China or the US. Even if the manufacturer does the repair without cost, the return and send back often have to be paid by the client. We’re quite used to this in Brazil…

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

I got a dt70 and my battery holder has 4 large springs. I also have the older version that has the weird looking things that act as spring.
Although they fixes this issue, the springs are very stiff and makes screwing the head quite tight. The older ‘spring’ made a much smoother screw motion of the head into the battery compartment.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Online
Last seen: 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 1934
Bruno28 wrote:
I got a dt70 and my battery holder has 4 large springs. I also have the older version that has the weird looking things that act as spring. Although they fixes this issue, the springs are very stiff and makes screwing the head quite tight. The older ‘spring’ made a much smoother screw motion of the head into the battery compartment.

Any chance you can place a picture? It does sound like you can run the light now with any unprotected raised top/button top cells though.

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 699
Location: Indonesia

I am thinking of getting this light too, still too many battery problem. I just hoped that they indeed change the spring into more traditional one.

maybe solder each spring to the battery negative itself that should be easier to do Smile

g_sintornillos
g_sintornillos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 04/19/2014 - 08:13
Posts: 742
Location: Tacuarembó, Uruguay
hIKARInoob wrote:
Bruno28 wrote:
I got a dt70 and my battery holder has 4 large springs. I also have the older version that has the weird looking things that act as spring. Although they fixes this issue, the springs are very stiff and makes screwing the head quite tight. The older ‘spring’ made a much smoother screw motion of the head into the battery compartment.

Any chance you can place a picture? It does sound like you can run the light now with any unprotected raised top/button top cells though.

+1

Sorry for my bad English

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

Here is my spring loaded version. The only issue is that it does not lockout with a spin of the battery compartment like the non spring version. Also the springs are tight, so the rotation of the battery to the head is not as smooth.
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/Bruno-28/Flashlight/20170712_10...

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 1804
Location: Houston Texas

The original version uses DISC springs instead of the coils springs we are all used to.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

NarsilM user videos https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWW2000

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 699
Location: Indonesia

It is the photosucked problem your photo is not showing. i can live with the non-lockout as long as the battery is equally functional.

Bruno28 wrote:
Here is my spring loaded version. The only issue is that it does not lockout with a spin of the battery compartment like the non spring version. Also the springs are tight, so the rotation of the battery to the head is not as smooth. http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/Bruno-28/Flashlight/20170712_10...
Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

rizky_p wrote:
It is the photosucked problem your photo is not showing. i can live with the non-lockout as long as the battery is equally functional.

Bruno28 wrote:
Here is my spring loaded version. The only issue is that it does not lockout with a spin of the battery compartment like the non spring version. Also the springs are tight, so the rotation of the battery to the head is not as smooth.
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/Bruno-28/Flashlight/20170712_10...

Cant you click on the link to go to the page? I have no other way of uploading photos.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 1804
Location: Houston Texas

Since you have both versions, can you tell us if they battery tube is longer or where exactly the extra length comes from in order for it to use the coil springs?

Did Imalent make any announcement about the design change or even mention it in any of their sales pages?

This is the first I’m hearing about it.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

NarsilM user videos https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWW2000

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

JasonWW wrote:
Since you have both versions, can you tell us if they battery tube is longer or where exactly the extra length comes from in order for it to use the coil springs?

Did Imalent make any announcement about the design change or even mention it in any of their sales pages?

This is the first I’m hearing about it.


They seem to be both exact same lengths. Only difference is the spring which pushes the battery up about 3-4mm higher. You wont hear any battery rattle when you shake the flashlight.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 1804
Location: Houston Texas

Bruno28 wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Since you have both versions, can you tell us if they battery tube is longer or where exactly the extra length comes from in order for it to use the coil springs?

Did Imalent make any announcement about the design change or even mention it in any of their sales pages?

This is the first I’m hearing about it.


They seem to be both exact same lengths. Only difference is the spring which pushes the battery up about 3-4mm higher. You wont hear any battery rattle when you shake the flashlight.

Did they make their batteries shorter?

The only other way I can see them switching to coil springs is with a design change. You can’t just swap springs unless maybe they use very cone shaped coils that can compress fully flat.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

NarsilM user videos https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWW2000

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

I Made a video. https://youtu.be/CiLoNG0wgQw

 

Battery are the exact same size.

 

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 1804
Location: Houston Texas

Very neat. It looks like those springs don’t compress flat, but do come close to going flat.

Imalent may have also moved that pcb the springs mount to back a little.

Now we need someone to test the new version.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

NarsilM user videos https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWW2000

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Online
Last seen: 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 1934
JasonWW wrote:
Did Imalent make any announcement about the design change or even mention it in any of their sales pages? This is the first I’m hearing about it.

This is one of the problems I have with Imalent: they just keep changing things. It’s good to make iterations to make a product better, but it makes it difficult to pull the trigger. Not long ago they changed the finish to a matte finish, and now this…

One of the structural issues these new lights still have is an off set value of the voltage readout of about 0.15V. Are they going to fix that as well or not? Hate to buy the light now to discover in two months they have fixed that as well in the new iteration…

Oh and thanks for the video Bruno28! Thumbs Up

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia
hIKARInoob wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Did Imalent make any announcement about the design change or even mention it in any of their sales pages? This is the first I’m hearing about it.

This is one of the problems I have with Imalent: they just keep changing things. It’s good to make iterations to make a product better, but it makes it difficult to pull the trigger. Not long ago they changed the finish to a matte finish, and now this…

One of the structural issues these new lights still have is an off set value of the voltage readout of about 0.15V. Are they going to fix that as well or not? Hate to buy the light now to discover in two months they have fixed that as well in the new iteration…

Oh and thanks for the video Bruno28! Thumbs Up


You’re welcome, photo bucket has ruined their business. Used to post there so I could send photos to you guys here. I guess it will be youtube now.

I agree with you on that other issue. My older one is matte finish which is really nice and the batteries when charged show 4.20v and it works perfectly. t
This newer one with the springs shows 4.03 when fully charged. And this annoys me. When I check with a voltmeter its hows 4.20v and even with my nitecore D4 also shows 4.20v.

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 699
Location: Indonesia

Bruno28 wrote:

Cant you click on the link to go to the page? I have no other way of uploading photos.

It is the photobucket recent change which sucks..
if i click it, it doesn’t work you have to pay extra so your image can be shared on 3rd party hosting but image link is work so i post your pic to imgur. here we go.

Thanks for the Video. Tempting to order DT70 as long as i got the one with the spring. Gotta ask gearbest or banggood.

nathan_nz
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/14/2017 - 02:49
Posts: 24

Hey guys, I’ve lurked the forum for a few months but thought I could add to this thread so signed up. My DT70 arrived a few days ago from gearbest, usually I research lights before I buy but in this case I found a coupon code which brought it down by over $100 and with 16000 advertised lumens I couldn’t help myself so placed the order. I then started reading reviews and was a bit disappointed to see people talking about issues with the light and mainly the springs. However when my light arrived I was happy to find it had springs. I can’t quite fit my finger down to press on the spring but it looks like mine would compress down flat or very close to it. I tried some LG MJ1 flat tops to see if it powered and they won’t work, I think the top needs to protrude a little more so other flat tops might work. I just saw on gearbest that its on sale for even cheaper then I paid, but I still don’t think I’d recommend this light. I don’t have anything as powerful to compare it too, but next most powerful light I have is the Haikelite MT03 and I don’t think the DT70 offers much over this for the extra money. Its brighter but can’t run on turbo for long, the construction is nowhere near as nice, the modes are spaced too far apart and the screen is useless because it only displays 2 things – lumens which with only 4 modes isn’t hard to know which one your in, and voltage which is very inaccurate as others have pointed out. While mine was charging and nearly full I decided to check battery voltages and all were at 4.22 after a minutes rest and it was still happily drawing 1 amp from the USB port, a low current per battery I know but given the display voltage is out by about -0.2v on mine I’m worried it could potentially charge (unintended pun) to 4.4v if I left it, which also means its other decent feature, USB charging, can’t really be relied on. I think the inaccurate voltage readout is quite a serious issue and I wouldn’t buy Imalent again because of this, its weird that they fix the springs but don’t bother correcting this, and also upped the charging voltage as others had previously said it only charged to 4.15v.

For anyone reading this and looking for an alternative, its not quite on the same level of output but the Haikelite MT03 is great, very solid and heavy construction with excellent heat sinking, good mode spacing including a ridiculously low 0.6 lm moonlight, nice UI and can run much longer then the DT70 at 8000 lm thanks to its massive heat sink. I also like the tripod mount, it can be turned into a portable worklight and runs for like 5 hours at 2500 lm. I am so impressed by it that I’ve bought 2 more Haikelites, the MT02 and MT07 which haven’t arrived yet.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 1804
Location: Houston Texas

Thanks for the feedback on the DT70.

Speaking of the MT-03, there’s going to be a new light coming out called the Utorch UT-03. It’s the same basic design using four 18650 batteries and three of the xhp70 LEDs, but the price is about half of the MT-03. This is one I’m keeping an eye on.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware, lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54477

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70, Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55746

NarsilM user videos https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonWW2000

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Online
Last seen: 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 1934

Hey nathan_nz, welcome to BLF and thank you very much for the very informative post. It must have been a surprise to see the springs in there…

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 699
Location: Indonesia

Agreed on that. I hoped the final product would be at least on par with Haikelite quality. I have been happy with their product but i have non of Utorch flashlights.

JasonWW wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on the DT70.

Speaking of the MT-03, there’s going to be a new light coming out called the Utorch UT-03. It’s the same basic design using four 18650 batteries and three of the xhp70 LEDs, but the price is about half of the MT-03. This is one I’m keeping an eye on.

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 699
Location: Indonesia

lol this is rather off topics. I have MT07 and MT02 i wished i had MT03 but i’ll wait for Utorch UT03 and Q8. Hear this! you’ll love it. Those are solid light loving mine so far.

nathan_nz wrote:
For anyone reading this and looking for an alternative, its not quite on the same level of output but the Haikelite MT03 is great, very solid and heavy construction with excellent heat sinking, good mode spacing including a ridiculously low 0.6 lm moonlight, nice UI and can run much longer then the DT70 at 8000 lm thanks to its massive heat sink. I also like the tripod mount, it can be turned into a portable worklight and runs for like 5 hours at 2500 lm. I am so impressed by it that I’ve bought 2 more Haikelites, the MT02 and MT07 which haven’t arrived yet.
nathan_nz
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/14/2017 - 02:49
Posts: 24

Thanks hikarinoob, yeah it was but a pleasant surprise at least.

The UT-03 does look interesting with the fins that are meant to be added, but it doesn’t look as chunky as the Haikelite and the prototype is apparently 400 grams vs 600 grams on the MT03. I know mass doesn’t mean better cooling but a larger diameter means more surface area to dissipate heat

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

anyone had this issue with the DT70, that even with a fully charged battery, when running in turbo, two of the 4 XHP-70 flash?
Is this an issue or is it a warning signal? My other DT70 doesn’t do that.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Online
Last seen: 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 1934
Facepalm

Never read about it. Really weird to see it like that. I’d say contact vendor asap; maybe you’re still in the DOA period?

Bruno28
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 23:20
Posts: 328
Location: Australia

hIKARInoob wrote:
Facepalm

Never read about it. Really weird to see it like that. I’d say contact vendor asap; maybe you’re still in the DOA period?


I got from Gearbest. They won’t pay return and return from Australis is about $70aud. That mean i lose momey. Or I can get $8 points and keep the product. Haha
Not the best customer service.
hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Online
Last seen: 23 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 1934

I thought they had like a 3 day DOA period where you don’t have to send the light back. I’d check that out first. Otherwise you could contact Gearbest here at BLF (Jona), and see what she can do for you.

Pages