Good USB-Cables??

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
CheapThrills
CheapThrills's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2011 - 10:45
Posts: 3376
Location: Suomi
Good USB-Cables??

I have been using Keweisi and such devices for a while now.

I don´t know if it is the cable itself or how the devices (charger, phone) “see” the cable and its resistances in the middle but:

There are huuge differences in how much current I get on my devices with different cables…
I don´t even need meters to notice: With good cables the chargers heat up so much more, that I can just feel the difference.

So:

I need recommendations for a bunch of good quality USB -> Micro USB + USB -> USB Type C cables.

Thanks Smile

m_a_schuster
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2016 - 15:01
Posts: 23

I too have been bitten by nice-looking cables that have such high resistance that rapid charging becomes impossible.

I made a little test jig consisting of an inline USB meter terminating in wirewound resistors that simulate 1A and 2A loads, and watched for current flow and voltage drop.

A while back I got a bunch of Anker PowerLine USB-micro cables from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Micro-USB-3ft/dp/B012VWH6PQ
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Micro-USB-6ft/dp/B012VZ7MUM

These seem high quality and (especially the short ones) pass my “does it support 2A charging?” test.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 46 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 1322
Location: France, Angers

I bought the Blitzwolf braided micro USB type B and C from Banggood and they’re really a bargain !
They’re beautiful, strongs and take up to 2,1A for real Smile

Slowly sinking into the dark abyss of addiction...MUST buy lights !

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire : 30+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X's deals and coupons

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 534
Location: Ho Chi Minh City

well, i always trust anker, especially their powerline +, all my usb cable is anker
i know there is more p/p cable, but it’s really hard to find good cable in a country next to china

Forgot my pen

djburkes
djburkes's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 03/16/2015 - 11:00
Posts: 1734
Location: Arkansas

+1 on Anker. They make very nice, strong cables that have all of the pins in the connectors…connected. I usually buy these to use as phone chargers. Most cheap cables aren’t completely pinned…usually just 2 are connected. I haven’t purchased any of the Blitzwolf branded cables but to my understanding they are made pretty much like the Anker cables.

CheapThrills
CheapThrills's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2011 - 10:45
Posts: 3376
Location: Suomi

m_a_schuster wrote:
I too have been bitten by nice-looking cables that have such high resistance that rapid charging becomes impossible.

I made a little test jig consisting of an inline USB meter terminating in wirewound resistors that simulate 1A and 2A loads, and watched for current flow and voltage drop.

A while back I got a bunch of Anker PowerLine USB-micro cables from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Micro-USB-3ft/dp/B012VWH6PQ
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Micro-USB-6ft/dp/B012VZ7MUM

These seem high quality and (especially the short ones) pass my “does it support 2A charging?” test.

Hey, thanks!

I found a set of 6 cables so I think I will update the whole lot of my cables at one go and trash the old ones Smile

Bought this set:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-6-Pack-PowerLine-Micro-USB/dp/B016BF4I5K/...

dodge_911
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 15:07
Posts: 128

For about a year now, I’ve been testing and reviewing all sorts of micro-usb cables, in search of the good ones, you know, the ones that don’t take ages to charge your phone.

I’ve been testing them for both resistance and voltage drop and am up to about 70 different cables from a plethora of manufacturers and shops/markets.

Most of these tests have been episodes on my Dutch blog, but I thought I’d share the results here too…

For convenience’s sake I put all the data in a Google Sheet, so you can sort the data to your heart’s content.

If you would like to see how I test the cables, you could take a look at this Youtube playlist...

Maybe this 'll help a little in your quest Smile

:: youtube ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewsyt
:: blog ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewstmb
  :: powerbank capacity tests ::
http://bit.ly/drpbcc
:: μusb cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drmicrousb
:: lightning cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drlightning
 :: type-C cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drtypec

 

sac02
sac02's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2016 - 15:18
Posts: 537
Location: TX

That is a great resource, dodge_911! Thanks!

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 7514
Location: Charente France

Cool, I was about to link to your tests Dodge!
You beat me to it Smile

dodge_911 wrote:

For about a year now, I’ve been testing and reviewing all sorts of micro-usb cables, in search of the good ones, you know, the ones that don’t take ages to charge your phone.


I’ve been testing them for both resistance and voltage drop and am up to about 70 different cables from a plethora of manufacturers and shops/markets.


Most of these tests have been episodes on my Dutch blog, but I thought I’d share the results here too…


For convenience’s sake I put all the data in a Google Sheet, so you can sort the data to your heart’s content.


If you would like to see how I test the cables, you could take a look at this Youtube playlist…


Maybe this ‘ll help a little in your quest Smile

CheapThrills
CheapThrills's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2011 - 10:45
Posts: 3376
Location: Suomi

Thanks dodge, that clarifies things quite a bit… 8)

dodge_911
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 15:07
Posts: 128

sac02 wrote:
That is a great resource, dodge_911! Thanks!

You're welcome Smile I have some new YZXStudio toys coming too for more better kajiggering angry pixies in the thingamabobs, so I can start doing USB-C. I've been experimenting with a way to do the same with Lightning cables too.

 

The Miller wrote:
Cool, I was about to link to your tests Dodge! You beat me to it :)!

Sorry/Not sorry Wink

 

CheapThrills wrote:
Thanks dodge, that clarifies things quite a bit... 8)

Oh, good, at least it's clear to someone Smile

:: youtube ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewsyt
:: blog ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewstmb
  :: powerbank capacity tests ::
http://bit.ly/drpbcc
:: μusb cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drmicrousb
:: lightning cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drlightning
 :: type-C cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drtypec

 

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 701
Location: Sweden
dodge_911 wrote:

For about a year now, I’ve been testing and reviewing all sorts of micro-usb cables, in search of the good ones, you know, the ones that don’t take ages to charge your phone.


I’ve been testing them for both resistance and voltage drop and am up to about 70 different cables from a plethora of manufacturers and shops/markets.


Most of these tests have been episodes on my Dutch blog, but I thought I’d share the results here too…


For convenience’s sake I put all the data in a Google Sheet, so you can sort the data to your heart’s content.


If you would like to see how I test the cables, you could take a look at this Youtube playlist…


Maybe this ‘ll help a little in your quest Smile

Thanks for all your hard work!

I ordered a kit of the best cables (Anker) using the link in your spreadsheet. The price was excellent.
(Orico is actually slightly better, but they don’t ship to Sweden and is also considerably more expensive.)

sac02
sac02's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2016 - 15:18
Posts: 537
Location: TX
dodge_911 wrote:
I have some new YZXStudio toys coming too for more better kajiggering angry pixies in the thingamabobs, so I can start doing USB-C. I’ve been experimenting with a way to do the same with Lightning cables too.

You sound like you might watch an AvE video here or there…

Keep your stick on the ice.

dodge_911
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 15:07
Posts: 128

sac02 wrote:
[You sound like you might watch an AvE video here or there... Keep your stick on the ice.

Yep! As a matter of fact, I had just watched one before posting that.
Some of his colourful vocabulary hung around a bit, I guess Smile

 

:: youtube ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewsyt
:: blog ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewstmb
  :: powerbank capacity tests ::
http://bit.ly/drpbcc
:: μusb cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drmicrousb
:: lightning cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drlightning
 :: type-C cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drtypec