FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

13489 posts / 0 new
Last post
clip.
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 03/19/2019 - 11:31
Posts: 40

I’m really liking the 3D tint stehk, thanks for updating! Glad I went ahead and got one of each instead of sticking with the warmer colors.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

Spiderlight wrote:
I think Neal could not ship mine because I didn’t enter a phone number Facepalm

Usually the phone number (on Paypal) is only used for text updates regarding tracking.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3661
Location: California

I ordered on the first day and paid for expedited shipping.

I just checked the tracking number for the status for my shipment. ETA to California is this Thursday.

hcanning
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/06/2018 - 03:05
Posts: 119
Location: United Kingdom
Scallywag wrote:

ToyKeeper wrote:
M4D M4X wrote:
people sharing codes hopefully grow purulent furuncles in the genital area…
I’m just quoting this as a reminder. Dear reader, if you find yourself thinking about posting private group-buy codes in public, just remember… PURULENT GENITAL FURUNCLES

Not a good google images search, BTW. I only searched for the non-genital version “purulent furuncles” and it wasn’t good. About what I expected, though, not knowing what either word actually meant ahead of time.


Tom E wrote:
In case it’s not known here, Martin told me that Neal had a few 3D’s on hand, so the shipping notices are legit, assuming all you that got a tracking # ordered 3D’s.

FB is good for something, sometimes… smile


That is what I ordered! We’ll see how this compares to my typical 12-15 day China ship times. 


ToyKeeper wrote:
Last I heard, I think Neal found a FD2 tint bin. Hopefully it’ll be a little more rosy than the FB4 bin found earlier.

I heard a rumor (okay, I read something elsewhere on BLF) that AstroLux may have bought a bunch of “good bin” SST-20s. Wonder if that’s making things difficult.


ToyKeeper wrote:
SIGShooter wrote:
I don’t really know why I bought the flashlight since I don’t really have a need for it.
Most of us don’t really need it. To merely fill a need, we could go to a local shop for whatever cheap light they have. But there are plenty of other valid reasons to get one. I’m guessing the majority of us are here because we enjoy it, not because we actually need more lights. However, that said… I use this particular light a lot. It gets more runtime than the entire rest of my collection, unless I count the Q8 I use as a bedside candle.
mitsuki08 wrote:
I really want to thank all who worked on this light. I know it’s not healthy but recently lights have been making me really happy more so than other things. So I hope everyone who worked on this feel the appreciation/thanks from the bottom of my heart. Sorry for being cheesy or over-dramatic.
Although few would admit it, that’s probably the reason why many people are here. Sometimes a light in the darkness is exactly what we need, even if it’s not strictly for the purposes of seeing at night. Because what we have here is a community, and it serves a lot of purposes which aren’t strictly about converting electrons into photons.

Flashlights are definitely a hobby for me. They give me something to do, to plan, to tinker with in my brain throughout the day. It is healthy to have one or more hobbies, in moderation of course. But I’m proud of that, because I have too many friends and acquaintances with no real hobbies besides watching TV or playing video games.


I hope the FW3A ends up being a strong player in my EDC rotation, and I don’t think I’ll notice the firmware bug (since it seems I’m getting a first batch light). If it really bothers me, maybe it will be the push I need to start flashing firmware!

Agreed with all of this. It’s a really intriguing hobby for me, and I can’t put my finger on why bathing an area in light from such a small handheld device gives me such enjoyment, along with all the intricacies of different lights, but it does. I can’t wait to get my warm white FW3A. Anduril is the best thing since sliced bread, and the 7A will be an emitter I’ve had no experience with yet, and I’ll probably end up with another one once the SST20 version is released Smile

I don’t agree with the puerile genital funiculars or furry uncles or whatever they’re called, though. Nobody wants that.

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 3825
Location: The Motor City

My 2 will be delivered by the end of the day… this Thursday! Steve

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

Spiderlight
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/24/2017 - 19:17
Posts: 100
Location: Germany
JasonWW wrote:
Spiderlight wrote:
I think Neal could not ship mine because I didn’t enter a phone number Facepalm
Usually the phone number (on Paypal) is only used for text updates regarding tracking.

I received this mail from Nelsgedgets
“Hello [redacted],
Pls provide phone number for shipping
Thanks
Neal”

So I think I delayed my shipment. Facepalm

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Tracking says 2 of mine will be here Friday 3 May. So far ever DHL from China I have had has arrived a day early. Soooooo, I’m hoping for Thursday….. Wink

Hope I didn’t just jinx it… Shocked . Facepalm . Knock on wood! Big Smile . Big Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 602
Location: USA
teacher wrote:
I too, after TK & you (I think it was you) brought up that 7A would make for a great candle mode; am thinking seriously about getting a 7A to be a designated candle. Wink

This kind of thinking is infectious. Especially when I realized some of the fancy, smelly candles my wife has bought cost 2/3 as much as this light and are not rechargeable, nor as someone else pointed out, waterproof.

Clemence is planning an E21A triple board. I wonder if the E21A’s could handle the 219 build of Anduril (FET channel limited to 50%). That would provide a lot of color temperature choices. 2700K or 3000K could both be great. If you really wanted candle like light, you could go all the way down to 2000K.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3335
Location: USA, Michigan

He literally signed up with blf a few days ago, near the bottom of the interest list, and was one of the first to get not one, but two, FW3A’s … lol

Satan@103TFS
Online
Last seen: 2 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2017 - 12:51
Posts: 553

Beside earlier get the light could someone tell me why I should order XPL-HI instead of wait for SST20 ?

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 2954
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

@RobertB, the thought occurred to me too, I must admit, but I guess he’s just lucky.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

RobertB wrote:
He literally signed up with blf a few days ago, near the bottom of the interest list, and was one of the first to get not one, but two, FW3A’s … lol
Yep. As with many things in life, it’s not necessarily who you are… but who you know. Thumbs Up . Big Smile Big Smile

More power to him….. Wink . We got some good pictures & beam shots anyway. Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 2954
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

While we’re on the subject, sort of, on Neal’s site, fulfilled and shipped are different, yeah?

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3661
Location: California
Satan@103TFS wrote:
Beside earlier get the light could someone tell me why I should order XPL-HI instead of wait for SST20 ?

XPL HI are brighter than SST-20. So if you want more lumens XPL HI is the way to go.

Most SST-20 also have an unpleasant greenish tint. It’s much more commeon to find XPL HI with a nice rosy tint.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8150
Location: Berkeley, California

Has anyone done a comparison table for the increasing number of 1-cell triple lights?
I’d guess the main difference is the stock driver and UI, both subject to modification.
But I suppose there are hardware differences too — glued or not, thread shape, weight/thickness of the host, anodization, lanyard hole or not ….

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 59 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 829
Location: MN
hank wrote:
Has anyone done a comparison table for the increasing number of 1-cell triple lights? I’d guess the main difference is the stock driver and UI, both subject to modification. But I suppose there are hardware differences too — glued or not, thread shape, weight/thickness of the host, anodization ….

The only retail triples I can think of right now are the FW3A and C8F. The “Angel Eyes” or whatever its called from Rovyvon is technically single-cell but has an internal li-po battery.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3335
Location: USA, Michigan
cabfrank wrote:
@RobertB, the thought occurred to me too, I must admit, but I guess he’s just lucky.

Haha, really no big deal. Everyone who wants one will get one eventually, but I noticed I was 2073 people ahead of him on the list and waiting for 2 years.. found it funny is all, coming from reddit and joining blf and ordering the lights at the last minute

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3661
Location: California
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
hank wrote:
Has anyone done a comparison table for the increasing number of 1-cell triple lights? I’d guess the main difference is the stock driver and UI, both subject to modification. But I suppose there are hardware differences too — glued or not, thread shape, weight/thickness of the host, anodization ….

The only retail triples I can think of right now are the FW3A and C8F. The “Angel Eyes” or whatever its called from Rovyvon is technically single-cell but has an internal li-po battery.

Jaxman E2L
Wuben makes a bunch of different triple LED lights like the T010R
Mecarmy PT10, PT14, PT16, PT18
Noctigon Meteor M43 is actually 4 triples in one light.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8150
Location: Berkeley, California

Yeah, I was thinking of wanting a comparison to the Emisar D4, which I have in my pocket. Which is, obviously, not a triple.
But the thought arose. Well, time will come.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2141
Location: Sweden
cabfrank wrote:
While we’re on the subject, sort of, on Neal’s site, fulfilled and shipped are different, yeah?

hm not sure, mine is paid and unfulfilled, but its the ww tint so it will be sent out after may 8th or so.. neal said around 200 lights will be sent out and few have gotten sent out info already.

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

radellaf
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/14/2017 - 23:43
Posts: 31
Location: NC

When someone said “other triples” the Emisar was the first to come to my mind, and it’s “retail” enough for me. The Jaxman certainly qualifies. I personally really prefer the Zebralight XHP50 (or 70) to triples, but there is something of a premium to be paid. Triples are fine, not a fan of more LEDs than that unless it’s something like a side-light or other special purpose thing. Really loved my RGBW Quark, even if it totally didn’t use the RGB to its capabilities.

As for feeling strange buying a flashlight because you “don’t need it,” I got a LOL out of that. I assume 99% of us are so past what we “need” it’s laughable, and at least half are buying new lights we’ll struggle to even find an occasional use for after the first month, much less justify the purchase as an “EDC”.

I “EDC” a Fenix LD01 I bought in 2010. Half a dozen other AA and 18650 Zebralights are an expensive, and comprehensive enough, collection to cover everything I might remotely call “need”. Add a few $10-$20 AA/14500s and a Convoy C2 for my sweetie to use around the house and not have to take care of. The rest is fun. If they stop being fun, or I can’t budget the money after accounting for savings and necessities, I’ll stop buying them.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3661
Location: California

I like small triples and quads. Due to the shorter optic, they can be made smaller than conventional single-emitter lights.

The lumen output of multi-emitter lights tends to be much higher than comparable sized single-emitter lights. They don’t throw as well, but they are excellent for short-to-medium range use.

radellaf
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/14/2017 - 23:43
Posts: 31
Location: NC

In general, maybe, but the ZL 18650s are short enough and bright enough I have no complaints. The SC64 is the same length as an Emisar D4 and probably lower volume, and the XHP50 a few mm longer. The XHP are really “quad emitter.” And, I, too, am usually happy to give up throw for size. I have two throwy lights, and need one maybe twice a year. In general I really hate linear regulation, or the idea that a FET is “max power!” (it’s not, a switcher can have a lower output impedance than the battery and constant power as batt voltage falls), but some of the recent 18650 triples like this one are just too fun and affordable to be persnickety about.
Heck, I’d buy this one with a single XP-G just to play with TK’s firmware features, and the aesthetics.

Random Dan
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 06/06/2018 - 22:55
Posts: 82
Location: United States

radellaf wrote:
In general, maybe, but the ZL 18650s are short enough and bright enough I have no complaints. The SC64 is the same length as an Emisar D4 and probably lower volume, and the XHP50 a few mm longer. The XHP are really “quad emitter.” And, I, too, am usually happy to give up throw for size. I have two throwy lights, and need one maybe twice a year. In general I really hate linear regulation, or the idea that a FET is “max power!” (it’s not, a switcher can have a lower output impedance than the battery and constant power as batt voltage falls), but some of the recent 18650 triples like this one are just too fun and affordable to be persnickety about.
Heck, I’d buy this one with a single XP-G just to play with TK’s firmware features, and the aesthetics.

There was talk earlier in this thread of a single emitter FW1A sometime in the future, although I don’t think it ever made it past the idea stage. I would definitely be down for one or two if it happened as for me single emitter + reflector provides the best general use beam type in this size.
iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 602
Location: USA
radellaf wrote:
I personally really prefer the Zebralight XHP50 (or 70) to triples, but there is something of a premium to be paid.

I tend to view compact multi-die, single emitter lights and compact multi-emitter lights as in the same category.

radellaf
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/14/2017 - 23:43
Posts: 31
Location: NC

I guess. Looking down the business end, they’re sure different, and the tech involved is different.

But, holding them as intended and using them… yep!

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9984
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
TrueRMS wrote:
Does that mean good news for the firmware bug?

I’m guessing Lumintop will use the updated version for the next batch of drivers, but it’s probably not worth trying to reflash the already-produced drivers.

Chances are, people would not have even noticed the issue if I hadn’t mentioned it. It went unnoticed for months before maukka found it. It’s just a minor inconvenience which only affects one very specific UI flow. It doesn’t cause any significant problems.

Specifically, if the user configures the light for the stepped ramp, then ramps from off to the floor level, then lets go of the button… there is a 1-second delay before it can ramp up again. It’s only if they let go during a specific 0.4s window, and then press the button again within 1.0s. It doesn’t affect the smooth ramp, it doesn’t happen if the user simply keeps holding the button, it doesn’t happen if they let go at a higher level, and it doesn’t affect ramping if the light was already on.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

ToyKeeper wrote:

Chances are, people would not have even noticed the issue if I hadn’t mentioned it. It went unnoticed for months before maukka found it. It’s just a minor inconvenience which only affects one very specific UI flow. It doesn’t cause any significant problems.

Specifically, if the user configures the light for the stepped ramp, then ramps from off to the floor level, then lets go of the button… there is a 1-second delay before it can ramp up again. It’s only if they let go during a specific 0.4s window, and then press the button again within 1.0s. It doesn’t affect the smooth ramp, it doesn’t happen if the user simply keeps holding the button, it doesn’t happen if they let go at a higher level, and it doesn’t affect ramping if the light was already on.

In other words, it's a massive deal-breaking catastrophe that would sink the Starship Titanic.

Just kidding!  :BEER:

Neal
Neal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 230
Location: China
Spiderlight wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Spiderlight wrote:
I think Neal could not ship mine because I didn’t enter a phone number Facepalm
Usually the phone number (on Paypal) is only used for text updates regarding tracking.

I received this mail from Nelsgedgets
“Hello [redacted],
Pls provide phone number for shipping
Thanks
Neal”

So I think I delayed my shipment. Facepalm

yes, for Germany shipping, the phone number is necessary.

niktak11
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 11/26/2016 - 04:51
Posts: 111
Location: United States
iamlucky13 wrote:
teacher wrote:
I too, after TK & you (I think it was you) brought up that 7A would make for a great candle mode; am thinking seriously about getting a 7A to be a designated candle. Wink

This kind of thinking is infectious. Especially when I realized some of the fancy, smelly candles my wife has bought cost 2/3 as much as this light and are not rechargeable, nor as someone else pointed out, waterproof.

Clemence is planning an E21A triple board. I wonder if the E21A’s could handle the 219 build of Anduril (FET channel limited to 50%). That would provide a lot of color temperature choices. 2700K or 3000K could both be great. If you really wanted candle like light, you could go all the way down to 2000K.


But a FW3A candle doesn’t have the benefit of emitting fragrant carcinogens.

Pages