FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

12695 posts / 0 new
Last post
Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1008
Location: Netherlands
xevious wrote:
Geuzzz wrote:
djozz wrote:
I believe that shatter-sensitivity of sapphire lenses is a non-issue.

I agree my watches with sapphire have a far more exposed glass and get hit almost every day. Never had a problem, in fact really glad they don’t scratch.

Are those domed or flat sapphire watch crystals?

I have both. I believe the thinnest is 2.9 mm flat, but that’s with 32mm diameter.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15333
Location: Amsterdam

mine is flat:

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 133

I have a couple watches with sapphire as well with no problems.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10924
Location: Houston Texas

I believe the only negative thing about the sapphire lens is the lost output, not it’s durability.

XXX-Man
XXX-Man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 10 sec ago
Joined: 07/02/2016 - 04:50
Posts: 771
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

I got this answer from Victor when complaining about optics change

Quote:
Notice that the pocket color has changed to silver, yet the glass version will be also available late next month, don’t worry.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

My reviews:

Sofirn SF36 /// Thorfire VG10S /// Sofirn C8F /// Zanflare F1

teacher
teacher's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9357
Location: NE & SW Alabama

XXX-Man wrote:
I got this answer from Victor when complaining about optics change
Quote:
Notice that the pocket color has changed to silver, yet the glass version will be also available late next month, don’t worry.
Good, but who is “Victor”??

Can we assume “pocket color” means ‘pocket clip’?

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

bilakos10
bilakos10's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/22/2013 - 14:25
Posts: 1302
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

teacher wrote:
XXX-Man wrote:
I got this answer from Victor when complaining about optics change
Quote:
Notice that the pocket color has changed to silver, yet the glass version will be also available late next month, don’t worry.
Good, but who is “Victor”??

Can we assume “pocket color” means ‘pocket clip’?

I am pretty sure that Victor is one of the representatives of Lumintop.
And probably pocket = pocket clip Big Smile

My daily deals thread: ☢ [Gearbest.com Special Deals]
If you need any coupon code, just leave a reply on the thread.

Neal
Neal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 224
Location: China

Hello,all the FW3A fans,I am Neal. about the FW3A optics change issues, I make this announcement.
can talk about this issues in this thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67645

1.Reason for Lumintop to change the optics

  • first,because it is hard to order the carclo optics,usually need to wait 3-4 weeks,the first batch they wait 6 weeks.
    that is why the delay of the FW3A group buy start.
  • second,the carclo optics actually made in china dongguan,lumintop find another optics company in dongguan,
    that company is familiar with carclo, and said can make the same optics.after test the prototype,the performance almost same. but they make a fault to make extra optics and cancel the lens,this is the reason why the candelas are reduced.
  • third,cost,carclo will be much more expensive than the new optics,they want to reduce the cost so that can sell it cheaper in the future.

2.resolution of the optics issues Lumintop already ordered the 10511 optics today,carclo replied need about 3 weeks.

  • a. Include glass lens with new optic, to allow easy modding. accept the new optics and these can ship in 48 hours and change the optics yourself,the FW3A will add a original lens in the package.
  • b. wait for new 10511 arrived,about 4 weeks ready to ship
  • c. cancel the order

pls send email or PM to me about your choice.
Email:nealgadgetsfw3a@hotmail.com
Mail include your order number and your choice.

other description:
1.FW3C also no 10511 optics,will wait for 10511 optics,so the shipping will be delay.

2.color FW3A,Lumintop will produce purple,blue and green. purple version with have TK’s logo. they just make some prototype,like the following picture. I will talk with TK if it is ok.

3.for future optics. the optics company are start to make another prototype to make it same as carclo 10511 optics.
if the result is good,will use that optics in the future.before it in production,will send them to TK,Kay and other reviews to compare.

teacher
teacher's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9357
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Thank you Neal for the detailed reply with options also!! Thumbs Up . Smile . Beer

Thanks also to Lumintop for quickly addressing the issue.

These options are fair & reasonable as far as I am concerned. Smile . Thumbs Up

As long as the AR coated glass lens is still included I am happy.
As long as the optic is a Carclo or a pretty exact Carclo copy… I am good.
As long as the current SST-20 version with the ‘combo optic’ also includes an AR coated glass lens in the box so I can remove the “combo optic” & replace it with my own Carclo & the included glass lens…. I am just fine with that.

Soooo… it looks like I am good to go…… Big Smile . Thumbs Up

Note: "Combo optic" = optic & lens combination... NO glass

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 16 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 886
Location: Louisiana

Thank you Neal! I can work with these options

acab
acab's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 05/29/2019 - 16:30
Posts: 163

This is a great solution that should satisfy everyone, can’t believe how much work, dedication and effort Neal is putting in to make us happy.

I haven’t ordered anything yet, but since we now have all the details I am confident to make an order.

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 48 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 133

Thank you, Neal!

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 461
Location: Gulf Coast

I know this has been asked before but I could not find a definitive answer……. will the FW3A SST-20 orders after 6/12 come with the newest version of Anduril?

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience

Neal
Neal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 224
Location: China
Coscar wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I could not find a definitive answer……. will the FW3A SST-20 orders after 6/12 come with the newest version of Anduril?

sorry
it is the 05-22 version
not the latest version
the driver already finished before we get the news.

XXX-Man
XXX-Man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 10 sec ago
Joined: 07/02/2016 - 04:50
Posts: 771
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

teacher wrote:
Good, but who is “Victor”??

Can we assume “pocket color” means ‘pocket clip’?


Victor is from Lumintop.

Pocket color means pocket clip color Smile

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

My reviews:

Sofirn SF36 /// Thorfire VG10S /// Sofirn C8F /// Zanflare F1

Neal
Neal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 08/19/2014 - 01:55
Posts: 224
Location: China

XXX-Man wrote:
teacher wrote:
Good, but who is “Victor”??

Can we assume “pocket color” means ‘pocket clip’?


Victor is from Lumintop.

Pocket color means pocket clip color Smile

also confirmed, the clip will be silver in the future.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6424
Location: The Light
ToyKeeper wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Nichia has the best CRI, but how does it compare in heat, lumens and throw, vs Cree and SST? I’m assuming the hottest with the least lumens and throw?

However, the SST-20 should be more throwy,


Any estimates at this point on the throw (in meters, for my simple mind) with the SST-20 and whatever optics will come with the production version?

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Tixx
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 253
Location: United States
cabfrank wrote:
I’m not saying Lumintop didn’t invest money and effort. I’m just saying a lot was done at no cost to them. Designing something like this in house would have been difficult for them, or maybe they never would have thought of it at all.

Plus add to that this light came with a huge amount of potential immediate sales.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5163
Location: Germany

I wish the light had a bit more thermal mass, like 8 or 10mm thick shelf

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 3623
Location: The Motor City

Lexel wrote:

I wish the light had a bit more thermal mass, like 8 or 10mm thick shelf


I like it the way it is, I have other Flame Throwers’ but only a couple of sane pocket lights, the FW3A met and exceeded it’s design purpose and then some, you just can’t beat it for the money, no way no how…

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

Ventsi
Online
Last seen: 1 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/26/2011 - 18:30
Posts: 129
Location: Bulgaria

Guys, sorry to hijack the thread but this guy Neal is not responding to my emails and I need to contact him.

Long story short – after 33 days of waiting I got a defective FW3A – one of the LEDs is not working. Asked Neal what to do, he wanted a picture, I provided a picture, he sent me a tracking number (supposedly for a replacement device), but when I checked it a week later turned out it’s my OLD tracking number from my original order. Since then Neal is not responding to the emails I send him for about a week now.

Umpi2000
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 03/15/2017 - 08:06
Posts: 243
Location: Durban, South Africa

Thanks Neal for providing the correct information about all these optics and lens issues so that everyone can relax and make educated choices and comments going forward.
The users on this forum are pretty lucky to have a guy like you looking out for us Neal! Party

el_duderino
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 04/16/2013 - 23:41
Posts: 29
Location: USA

Ventsi wrote:
Guys, sorry to hijack the thread but this guy Neal is not responding to my emails and I need to contact him.

Long story short – after 33 days of waiting I got a defective FW3A – one of the LEDs is not working. Asked Neal what to do, he wanted a picture, I provided a picture, he sent me a tracking number (supposedly for a replacement device), but when I checked it a week later turned out it’s my OLD tracking number from my original order. Since then Neal is not responding to the emails I send him for about a week now.


It’s not very encouraging, but just keep emailing him. It’s been 50 days and I still haven’t gotten a light, including about 5 of my emails that were ignored. He sent me a new tracking number a few days ago, we’ll see if it gets here.

The general consensus is that he will eventually stand by the product and make it right, just be prepared for LONG delays and a lot of emails that will be ignored.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10924
Location: Houston Texas
Tixx wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
I’m not saying Lumintop didn’t invest money and effort. I’m just saying a lot was done at no cost to them. Designing something like this in house would have been difficult for them, or maybe they never would have thought of it at all.

Plus add to that this light came with a huge amount of potential immediate sales.


Not true, sales potential was unknown when the project started. If the design had gone in a different direction, interest could of been lost and the project canceled. There is always a certain amount of risk when starting a new project.
xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 735
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Geuzzz wrote:
I have both. I believe the thinnest is 2.9 mm flat, but that’s with 32mm diameter.
I have a 20th Anniversary Citizen Attesa with domed sapphire crystal. It has been bumped a number of times over the 10+ years I’ve owned it. I can see only one very slight scratch on the crystal when observed up close.
I find the domed lens effect appealing. It actually magnifies the labeling on the inside rim for easier viewing.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10924
Location: Houston Texas

Lexel wrote:

I wish the light had a bit more thermal mass, like 8 or 10mm thick shelf.

The goal was to make it short, small and light for every day carry. The fact it has a really strong Turbo mode is kind of secondary.

That’s why it’s recommended to use a high capacity battery and not high drain. You get a bit slower heat build up.

I see your light is modded using 3 x Samsung LH351D 5000K emitters. What battery are you using?

Cool video BTW.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5163
Location: Germany

JasonWW wrote:
Lexel wrote:

I wish the light had a bit more thermal mass, like 8 or 10mm thick shelf.

The goal was to make it short, small and light for every day carry. The fact it has a really strong Turbo mode is kind oF secondary.

That’s why it’s recommended to use a high capacity battery and not high drain. You get a bit slower heat build up.

I see your light is modded using 3 x Samsung LH351D 5000K emitters. What battery are you using?

Cool video BTW.

I used a brand new VTC6

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10924
Location: Houston Texas

Lexel wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Lexel wrote:

I wish the light had a bit more thermal mass, like 8 or 10mm thick shelf.

The goal was to make it short, small and light for every day carry. The fact it has a really strong Turbo mode is kind oF secondary.

That’s why it’s recommended to use a high capacity battery and not high drain. You get a bit slower heat build up.

I see your light is modded using 3 x Samsung LH351D 5000K emitters. What battery are you using?

Cool video BTW.

I used a brand new VTC6


That’s definitely high drain. I don’t have any high capacity non protected cells, but if you do, it would be neat to see the effect on Turbo. Theory says it will pull less amps which means a bit less lumens, but longer Turbo run time. Probably not much more, maybe 10 seconds more? I think you got 16 seconds?

I got 15 seconds using a 30Q. Maybe a high capacity cell will only extend it 6 or 7 more seconds?

(Also keep in mind the ambiant temperature might need calibrating)

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 2800
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth
JasonWW wrote:
Tixx wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
I’m not saying Lumintop didn’t invest money and effort. I’m just saying a lot was done at no cost to them. Designing something like this in house would have been difficult for them, or maybe they never would have thought of it at all.

Plus add to that this light came with a huge amount of potential immediate sales.


Not true, sales potential was unknown when the project started. If the design had gone in a different direction, interest could of been lost and the project canceled. There is always a certain amount of risk when starting a new project.

Interest could have been lost if the flashlight wasn’t at least similar to what was intended. There was, however, a huge pre-release interest list, most of whom were going to buy. That doesn’t happen very often with new flashlight releases. It is a huge leg up on just a regular new flashlight introduction. It absolutely does come with a huge amount of potential immediate sales.

Robin Dobbie
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 04/30/2019 - 12:49
Posts: 47
Location: Texas

In addition to offering an immediate refund, an acceptable solution in my muggle opinion would be to offer to ship the lights in 48 or whatever hours with the inferior parts, then ship the additional advertised parts at no charge when available. As it is, buyers can either accept the inferior parts to get their light in a month after being shipped in 48 hours, or wait to get anything at all in two months with what was promised at the time of purchase. How is everyone jumping for joy? Am I missing something? Am I retarded?

So I wonder how long it will take to cancel orders? I would think that’d be the easiest way to keep from alienating people who aren’t familiar with how slow this shop is. I get that the inferior parts issue isn’t the shop’s fault, but it sounds like the shop is having trouble keeping up with customer service unrelated to this issue. I suppose in a day or so I’ll just open a case with PP? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I get that this isn’t amazon but come on.

At the very least they need to remove this from their page because they absolutely do not reply, much less “immediately.”

How many people have waited around their computer because they thought they’d get any kind of reply from that thing?

Pages