USB cable question

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 383
Location: Netherlands

hIKARInoob wrote:
Yes. The “U” of USB stands for “Universal”. Some companies like Apple have their own standard indeed (not compatible). The only minor exception perhaps is the latest USB C type plug. But very few devices use this new format that require a different new cable. For example Samsung Galaxy S8, and Wuben T102 (only flashlight that I know of) use USB C.

Google pixel, as well as the Nexus 5x and my Nexus 6P Smile
dodge_911
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/18/2016 - 15:07
Posts: 140

HKJ wrote:
The cable do not change the current, but many phones and other devices will reduce the charge current when the voltage drops due to a crappy cable.

I thought I said that in the next paragraph. I always laugh when they advertise a 3A cable Smile

:: youtube ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewsyt
:: blog ::
http://bit.ly/dodgereviewstmb
  :: powerbank capacity tests ::
http://bit.ly/drpbcc
:: μusb cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drmicrousb
:: lightning cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drlightning
 :: type-C cable resistance tests ::
http://bit.ly/drtypec

 

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 761
Location: Sweden
HKJ wrote:
dodge_911 wrote:
I beg to differ. Have tested a lot of cables, and none of them show a drop in amps, even really really crappy ones.

The cable do not change the current, but many phones and other devices will reduce the charge current when the voltage drops due to a crappy cable.

Exactly, and thus the charging time is affected considerably. Especially Apple drops the current quite a bit.

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 1582
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

My custom cable uses 3 pairs of AWG24 (3 × AWG24 = AWG19.2623) wires for power transmission; this is 86.56mΩ of total wire resistance, or close to 260mV of drop when 3A of current flows through it. Bear in mind this is just for the cable! There are additional losses because of plug contact resistances (bottlenecks), which get worse with usage wear and tear. So even with my low drop custom cable such high rate would be problematic, I believe.

Honestly, lots of consumers are half-wits. Don't get me wrong, I may still be half-witted under certain circumstances. Problem is you really can't/shouldn't trust advertising (as a rule), but half-wits tend to. You know, when people buys UltraTurd 18650 9800mAh cells in bulk… Facepalm  

 

Cheers Party

Copper is mine, copper divine!

Venom
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2017 - 07:29
Posts: 123
Location: Massachusetts

Thanks for all the replies!

Venom
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2017 - 07:29
Posts: 123
Location: Massachusetts

Just to update this thread. I went with the Anker Powerline Plus cable.

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 308
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Anker seems to be a quality company. We have many of their products, all bought on Amazon. My son has an Anker bluetooth portable speaker that stopped working after close to a year after we bought it. They replaced it without an issue and the new one has been working great despite the abuse he puts on it.

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

Venom
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2017 - 07:29
Posts: 123
Location: Massachusetts
NeutralFan wrote:
Anker seems to be a quality company. We have many of their products, all bought on Amazon. My son has an Anker bluetooth portable speaker that stopped working after close to a year after we bought it. They replaced it without an issue and the new one has been working great despite the abuse he puts on it.

I got my Anker cable from amazon and hopefully I will have no issue with them. By the reviews on Amazon any issue was taken care of by Anker without a hassle.

jerm03
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/03/2012 - 15:07
Posts: 697
Location: SW United States

I do a lot of charging of my tablets. Currently the cables I have and the wall plugs are as “Slow as Christmas.” The Paracables are rather expensive. Are the Anker cables better in terms of speed of charging?
Jerry

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 761
Location: Sweden
jerm03 wrote:
I do a lot of charging of my tablets. Currently the cables I have and the wall plugs are as “Slow as Christmas.” The Paracables are rather expensive. Are the Anker cables better in terms of speed of charging? Jerry

I would say that Anker cables and Paracables are about equal when it comes to charging speed, and faster than cheap stuff.

jerm03
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/03/2012 - 15:07
Posts: 697
Location: SW United States

Thanks, I’ll get some.

Added: I found them on the WalMart website for $6.99 regular list price $29.00. They are 6 ft. I ordered 2 with no postage. $13.98.
Jerry

XXX-Man
XXX-Man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 07/02/2016 - 04:50
Posts: 260
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

I ordered this Aukey set and they work perfect up to 2.4A (don’t have a device that can use more)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aukey-5-Pack-Micro-USB-Cable-Fast-Chargi...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."

My reviews:

Sofirn SF36

Thorfire VG10S

 

blinker
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 12/09/2016 - 00:38
Posts: 36
Location: Minnesota

Good, inexpensive cables at monoprice.com,

Not a flashlight guru, but like them just the same.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 470
Location: usa

hIKARInoob wrote:
Hey Venom, At the same time this means that as an Apple consumer you are forced to buy their cable with a nice profit margin for Apple.

there are tons of third party apple comparable cables on the market, you do not need to spend $30 for apple cable, you can buy same cable in pretty much any store, for 5-10 bucks, here in nyc most stores have them by registers. some of them feel more solid than real apple cable, and they come in different colors.

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 761
Location: Sweden

alpg88 wrote:
hIKARInoob wrote:
Hey Venom, At the same time this means that as an Apple consumer you are forced to buy their cable with a nice profit margin for Apple.

there are tons of third party apple comparable cables on the market, you do not need to spend $30 for apple cable, you can buy same cable in pretty much any store, for 5-10 bucks, here in nyc most stores have them by registers. some of them feel more solid than real apple cable, and they come in different colors.

The cheap cables works (most of them anyway).
But they typically charge slowly (especially iPads) and they don’t last very long.
I guess you get what you pay for.
No need to buy (expensive) Apple original though, just look for Anker and other MFI-certified ones.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 470
Location: usa

RollerBoySE wrote:
alpg88 wrote:
hIKARInoob wrote:
Hey Venom, At the same time this means that as an Apple consumer you are forced to buy their cable with a nice profit margin for Apple.

there are tons of third party apple comparable cables on the market, you do not need to spend $30 for apple cable, you can buy same cable in pretty much any store, for 5-10 bucks, here in nyc most stores have them by registers. some of them feel more solid than real apple cable, and they come in different colors.

The cheap cables works (most of them anyway).
But they typically charge slowly (especially iPads) and they don’t last very long.
I guess you get what you pay for.
No need to buy (expensive) Apple original though, just look for Anker and other MFI-certified ones.

original apple ac to usb adapter outputs only 1A. that is not much current. you do not need thick wire for 1A.
also to be honest i do not think oem apple cable are such a great quality item to begin with, i had 2 fail. they are no better than most third party cables. but defiantly overpriced.

Venom
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2017 - 07:29
Posts: 123
Location: Massachusetts

I did notice a difference in charging speed with the Anker powerline + cable compare to the factory Apple cable. Its not a huge difference but a noticable difference.

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 761
Location: Sweden

alpg88 wrote:
RollerBoySE wrote:
alpg88 wrote:
hIKARInoob wrote:
Hey Venom, At the same time this means that as an Apple consumer you are forced to buy their cable with a nice profit margin for Apple.

there are tons of third party apple comparable cables on the market, you do not need to spend $30 for apple cable, you can buy same cable in pretty much any store, for 5-10 bucks, here in nyc most stores have them by registers. some of them feel more solid than real apple cable, and they come in different colors.

The cheap cables works (most of them anyway).
But they typically charge slowly (especially iPads) and they don’t last very long.
I guess you get what you pay for.
No need to buy (expensive) Apple original though, just look for Anker and other MFI-certified ones.

original apple ac to usb adapter outputs only 1A. that is not much current. you do not need thick wire for 1A.
also to be honest i do not think oem apple cable are such a great quality item to begin with, i had 2 fail. they are no better than most third party cables. but defiantly overpriced.

It’s a bit more complicated than that.
iPhone 6 & 7 can be faster charged with the iPad charger (and third party chargers that supports the standard), which delivers 2.1A (the standard allows for up to 2.4A). But this only happens if the charger (and phone) determines that the cable (and everything else) can handle the higher current; otherwise the charging current is stepped down.
So there is a good reason to use a bit better cables.

MFI-certified ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MFi_Program ) doesn’t mean Apple OEM by the way, just that the cable fulfills some basic requirements.

My personal favorites are Anker and especially Paracable, this since I like sturdy cables that don’t break.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 399
Location: USA

Venom wrote:
I did notice a difference in charging speed with the Anker powerline + cable compare to the factory Apple cable. Its not a huge difference but a noticable difference.

Difference for better or for worse?
Venom
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2017 - 07:29
Posts: 123
Location: Massachusetts
Pete7874 wrote:
Venom wrote:
I did notice a difference in charging speed with the Anker powerline + cable compare to the factory Apple cable. Its not a huge difference but a noticable difference.
Difference for better or for worse?

I got the 6ft. powerline + cable, it was better. Next I’m going to get the 1ft. or the 3ft. to see if that makes a difference. Plus I got the Apple 12w usb charger to, so that could be the different in speed to

Pages