Another almost finished project

37 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth
Another almost finished project

This project actually started from practicing some knurling. You might be able the see in the first 1-2 pics just to the right of the knurling is a faint marking of knurling. One diagonal lined up but not the other. I fiddled around until I got it right and thought it looked so good I should keep going and make a complete light. I had issues with one of the knurling wheels not lining up again when I did the head. To correct it I marked one diagonal then wrapped the head with a little tape then knurled over the tape with the other wheel. Making this has been quite an experience and there are definitely things I will do in a different order or differently next time. I cheated with the bezel as it’s off a DQG26650. I could babble on about all the things I dislike about it but I suppose pics are more interesting…

I was hoping I could get away with keeping the tube/tail as a one piece but it’s a fraction short for my needs so I will need to make a tail cap. One day….

Edited by: pinkpanda3310 on 06/28/2017 - 09:41
thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1265
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Is there a reason you machined the outside first en then the inside?
I would say inside first then outside would be easier?

Also is that ring around the drill to support it just a piece of random left over? (I.e. self made) never seen that before.

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13827
Location: Amsterdam

Nice pictures of a nice project. I think the shape is elegant, worth finishing at some point Smile

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6481
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Nice work! I agree with djozz, it needs to be finished.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12617
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

That is a fantastic effort working with Copper. For those that dont know copper is like butter and can be a real pain to machine.
Thanks for showing warts and all. Thumbs Up

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1759
Location: Alameda, CA

I’m not an expert but I always thought that DQG missed the boat on design when they knowingly made the light too short to accept a variety of cells. seems like flashlight mfg 101 to me.

ceo/marketing to engineering “make sure the (fill in the blank cell size here) fits 3 standard devations of (same fill in the balnk cell size) cell sizes.

Or am I not getting somthing?

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

thijsco19 wrote:
Is there a reason you machined the outside first en then the inside?
I would say inside first then outside would be easier?

Also is that ring around the drill to support it just a piece of random left over? (I.e. self made) never seen that before.


When I started the tube I wasn’t intending on making a host. For the head, yes there are some things I would do differently next time.

The ring is to help reduce vibration until the drill bit gets started. I’m not sure I went about this the right way. As you might tell I’m still in the thick of this learning curve on how to use a lathe. Anyone with suggestions on betters ways are welcome.

djozz wrote:
Nice pictures of a nice project. I think the shape is elegant, worth finishing at some point Smile

DavidEF wrote:
Nice work! I agree with djozz, it needs to be finished.

Don’t worry. I didn’t come this far just to leave it, I do intend on finishing it. I was kinda referring to my other project which is still as yet unfinished.
MRsDNF wrote:
That is a fantastic effort working with Copper. For those that dont know copper is like butter and can be a real pain to machine.
Thanks for showing warts and all. Thumbs Up

Aaah, someone who understands Cool It’s been doubley hard working with copper AND making the screw ups from inexperience. I always appreciate your comments Moose.
Ronin42 wrote:
I’m not an expert but I always thought that DQG missed the boat on design when they knowingly made the light too short to accept a variety of cells. seems like flashlight mfg 101 to me.

ceo/marketing to engineering “make sure the (fill in the blank cell size here) fits 3 standard devations of (same fill in the balnk cell size) cell sizes.

Or am I not getting somthing?


Yep, you’re pretty much right. I think V3 could’ve easily accommodated this by having a little extra un-anodized thread at the tail. When I get a chance I’ll check what cells do fit in my V3. I don’t know if it was suggested to George already?
pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

I managed to align the knurling tool and extend the knurling all the way on the battery tube. After doing so I bored the hole a little deeper and cut the tube to length. The inner base of the tube looks kinda ugly now. I also managed to mount the head in the lathe again and re-knurled the head as well but there is a strip near the bezel that I couldn’t reach (the knurling tool would crash with the chuck).

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12617
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

That looks so good pp. The knurling on the battery tube looks really nice. If you clean the head up with thinners and a wire brush being careful not to scratch the copper or something similar it will possibly look a lot better as well. Thumbs Up

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

Yeah, that’s kinda how I got it to that point. Thinners and a tooth brush, of course, the thinners ate the tooth brush FacepalmLOL . Was a bit of a pita but with a bit more clean-up I hope it comes up like the tube.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12617
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

I bought three brushes like tooth brushes from the $2.00 shop. Same thing sold in SuperCheap and Repco for $15.00 to $25.00. Theres a nylon, copper, brass and I think stainless one. The stainless one works well on knurling.

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Rufusbduck
Rufusbduck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 04/04/2012 - 15:34
Posts: 10365
Location: Golden state

Nice saves. If you didn’t think of things you’d do differently you weren’t learning. Half the pleasure is figuring stuff out and seeing positive results.

Three Tanna leaves to give him life, nine to give him movement. But what if he eats the whole bag?

Scott

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 6830
Location: freedailydeals.org

Working with copper is never easy. Nice work, pinkpanda3310!

fritz15
fritz15's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 01/27/2012 - 13:32
Posts: 307
Location: Denmark

Hi, it looks really awesome! And the knurling is amazing.

Just a tip for working with copper, make sure the cutting tool is always wet with lubricant. You really have to drown it. You’ll need a lot of lubricant and the cheapest and best solution I found was rapeseed oil applied with a syringe. If you haven’t used lots of lubricant already, you should really try it! It’s a difference like day and night.

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

MRsDNF wrote:
I bought three brushes like tooth brushes from the $2.00 shop. Same thing sold in SuperCheap and Repco for $15.00 to $25.00. Theres a nylon, copper, brass and I think stainless one. The stainless one works well on knurling.

Cool, thanks for the tip Davie
Rufusbduck wrote:
Nice saves. If you didn’t think of things you’d do differently you weren’t learning. Half the pleasure is figuring stuff out and seeing positive results.

Yeh, figuring stuff is good. I hope I can retain the info for next time I do similar things on the lathe.
freeme wrote:

Working with copper is never easy. Nice work, pinkpanda3310!


Thanks freeme
fritz15 wrote:
Hi, it looks really awesome! And the knurling is amazing.

Just a tip for working with copper, make sure the cutting tool is always wet with lubricant. You really have to drown it. You’ll need a lot of lubricant and the cheapest and best solution I found was rapeseed oil applied with a syringe. If you haven’t used lots of lubricant already, you should really try it! It’s a difference like day and night.


Yeh, I have noticed how lube makes a difference. I’ll give rapeseed a go, thanks. I recently ran out of the stuff I’ve been using (Trefolex CDT) and used CRC since that’s what I had. I also have a bottle of Rocol RTD but I find it easier to use a spray so I can direct the oil where it’s needed. I can understand the use of a syringe for the same reason. Maybe one day I’ll set up a gravity drip feed and drip tray for the RTD.
CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3018
Location: Scotland

Nice work.

kennybobby
kennybobby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/10/2017 - 09:13
Posts: 140
Location: huntspatch, alabama

Some copper is gummy and will grab the tool edge when drilling, same thing happens with acrylic plastics. i dull the cutting edge with a stone to solve this. Here are some additional tips for machining copper: copper tips

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

kennybobby wrote:
Some copper is gummy and will grab the tool edge when drilling, same thing happens with acrylic plastics. i dull the cutting edge with a stone to solve this. Here are some additional tips for machining copper: “copper tips”:http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-130201.html

Dull bits and wax…!!??? Oh I will never get off this steep learning curve Facepalm

I read some of the suggestions and balked at the milk suggestion Shocked but hey, I might just try it one day Grad

Turningbluechips
Turningbluechips's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:17
Posts: 369
Location: PA

pinkpanda3310 wrote:
kennybobby wrote:
Some copper is gummy and will grab the tool edge when drilling, same thing happens with acrylic plastics. i dull the cutting edge with a stone to solve this. Here are some additional tips for machining copper: “copper tips”:http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-130201.html

Dull bits and wax…!!??? Oh I will never get off this steep learning curve Facepalm

I read some of the suggestions and balked at the milk suggestion Shocked but hey, I might just try it one day Grad

The dulling of the tool bits only really come into play when using carbide inserts or carbide tipped tools. It won’t help with a HSS tool. And it’s not really dulling it so to speak just take a stone and barely break the sharp edge.

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

Thanks for explaining further bluechips Thumbs Up I’m finding even the smallest of variables can change the way a piece will cut.

lostheplot
lostheplot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 08/09/2012 - 07:29
Posts: 471

good work pp

different angles needed for copper brass ect..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_angle

sorry all images down
thanks photobucket

fritz15
fritz15's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 01/27/2012 - 13:32
Posts: 307
Location: Denmark

Turningbluechips wrote:
pinkpanda3310 wrote:
kennybobby wrote:
Some copper is gummy and will grab the tool edge when drilling, same thing happens with acrylic plastics. i dull the cutting edge with a stone to solve this. Here are some additional tips for machining copper: “copper tips”:http://weldingweb.com/archive/index.php/t-130201.html

Dull bits and wax…!!??? Oh I will never get off this steep learning curve Facepalm

I read some of the suggestions and balked at the milk suggestion Shocked but hey, I might just try it one day Grad

The dulling of the tool bits only really come into play when using carbide inserts or carbide tipped tools. It won’t help with a HSS tool. And it’s not really dulling it so to speak just take a stone and barely break the sharp edge.

Are you sure this applies to copper? I have read that the tools should be as sharp as possible, otherwise the copper starts to “smear” all over the place due to the rubbery consistency. I also experienced the same thing.

With brass however, it is common to dull up the tools so the tool doesn’t get sucked into the material.

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3047
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Nice build mate. Where do you buy your metals from? I have been looking for solid copper tubes to make heat sink out of.

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
Nice build mate. Where do you buy your metals from? I have been looking for solid copper tubes to make heat sink out of.

I go to a local place called Robert-Cameron. They are one of the few places here that stock a lot of odd materials and odd sizes not just the common ones. I might pay slightly less if I find it online but then I would have to wait for delivery Tired

I got some work done on the switch. It’s kinda big and doesn’t mesh well with the head but oh well, add it to the list of ‘better ways of doing it’.

I lathed up a hole punch to make the right size rubber boot

I also cut a foam packer to stop the batteries rattling since there is no spring in the rear.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12617
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Press fit for the switch retainer?

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

Yes. I don’t think I’m talented enough for threading in that small pocket. Silly

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12617
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Unfortunately I’m with you on that.

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1741
Location: Perth

I fitted the electronics tonight. My mind wasn’t in the right headspace when reflowing the leds so it was a bit messy. I displaced a dome with tweezers on one of the leds, i’m considering dedoming all of them. I also couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t turn on when I was finished so after some head scratching found I missed a solder jumper on the driver for 2s. So it is functional and i’ll tweak it here and there a bit.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12617
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Wow, that is one sweet looking light. The knurling looks like its cleaned up a treat. Thumbs Up
Whats the light on the far left?

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

kennybobby
kennybobby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/10/2017 - 09:13
Posts: 140
Location: huntspatch, alabama

Wow that is beautiful, and it blends in nicely with your collection also. Did you make any of the others?

lostheplot
lostheplot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 08/09/2012 - 07:29
Posts: 471

good job pp

sorry all images down
thanks photobucket

Pages