Pre production sample [Review] Astrolux MF-01 4x18650 flashlight supplied by Banggood

181 posts / 0 new
Last post
WTF
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2017 - 20:13
Posts: 258
hIKARInoob wrote:
Based on the run time data, I see a possibility that the light steps down aggressively when reaching 60 C to the 1100 lumen mode (for the Nichia version), and stays there until batteries are depleted. So there is no feedback control for output as a function of temperature. If so it’s a bit unfortunate that there is no 2500~3000 lumen mode where the light can sustain output fairly continuously.

This is my concern as well, after five or ten minutes this great big light won’t be much brighter than a single xml2 light.

Why wouldn’t they add a few more modes to it? When they added the 1100 mode they also dropped moon. If it was because doesn’t have enough memory for more modes why not get rid of one of the flashy modes? Why handicap the design that way in the first place?

The board Lexel designed will add a lot of functionality to the light but how much heat will the driver make with all those 7135’s when making 2500 lumens? Is eighteen led’s wired 2S9P on a single channel reliable over the long term? Its hard to say how matched the led’s are and if thermal runaway will happen when running the light hot for a long period of time.

A version of this light that made 7500 lumens max would be so much more useful.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5346
Location: Germany
WTF wrote:
hIKARInoob wrote:
Based on the run time data, I see a possibility that the light steps down aggressively when reaching 60 C to the 1100 lumen mode (for the Nichia version), and stays there until batteries are depleted. So there is no feedback control for output as a function of temperature. If so it’s a bit unfortunate that there is no 2500~3000 lumen mode where the light can sustain output fairly continuously.

This is my concern as well, after five or ten minutes this great big light won’t be much brighter than a single xml2 light.

Why wouldn’t they add a few more modes to it? When they added the 1100 mode they also dropped moon. If it was because doesn’t have enough memory for more modes why not get rid of one of the flashy modes? Why handicap the design that way in the first place?

The board Lexel designed will add a lot of functionality to the light but how much heat will the driver make with all those 7135’s when making 2500 lumens? Is eighteen led’s wired 2S9P on a single channel reliable over the long term? Its hard to say how matched the led’s are and if thermal runaway will happen when running the light hot for a long period of time.

A version of this light that made 7500 lumens max would be so much more useful.

you can modify the sense resistors to do less current

I aggree that a sustained level of like 2500/3500 lumens Nichia/XPG3 should be possible, as you can see the temperatue drops after the light stepped down to 1100 lumens

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 1007
Location: Indonesia

sorry wrong thread, it was meant for Convoy L6. Facepalm

comment deleted….

WTF
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2017 - 20:13
Posts: 258

Lexel wrote:

you can modify the sense resistors to do less current

I aggree that a sustained level of like 2500/3500 lumens Nichia/XPG3 should be possible, as you can see the temperatue drops after the light stepped down to 1100 lumens

I’m thinking about doing that but it would be tripling the value of the sense resistor to get the mode levels where I want. That might be too much of a change and the driver could stop working. Not sure if it will cause the sense resistors to overheat as well.

The other option I’m cosidering is using your driver and limiting the maximum PWM.Then popping the inductors off the old driver and putting them in series with the led’s.

They would smooth out the waveform and do some load balancing as well. If one set of led’s gets too hot and starts drawing too much current the inductor will heat up increasing it’s resistance. They probably have the wrong parameters for this application so there’s a good chance they’ll overheat.

This light looks perfect for task lighting, but the UI is set up so bad.

krutone
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/06/2017 - 21:27
Posts: 22

Is it possible to remove the Carclo optics while keeping the front lens (eg for water proofing).

For example, on my Noctigon Meteor, the Carclo optics are drop in pieces, which can be removed, and the front lens can be retained.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5346
Location: Germany

The lens sits directly on top of the rim of the head

so you can replace the optics

on my sample I sanded down the bezel about 0.3mm to get more pressure on the o-ring

do you need measurements how thick the original optic is?

krutone
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/06/2017 - 21:27
Posts: 22
Lexel wrote:
do you need measurements how thick the original optic is?

No, you answered my question. I wanted to remove optics to maximize flood. Thanks!

Any idea which bin of Nichia 219C is used?

steel_1024
steel_1024's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 14:06
Posts: 486
Location: Taiwan

Lexel wrote:
Order from OSH Park

!{width:50%}https://644db4de3505c40a0444-327723bce298e3ff5813fb42baeefbaa.ssl.cf1.ra...!

How should the drive connect to the LEDs, all in parallel?

Sorry for my poor english.

steel_1024
steel_1024's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 14:06
Posts: 486
Location: Taiwan

The initial shipment of this flashlights in China.

There are several flashlights that have this problem.

Original description, problem from MCPCB (DTP)

Sorry for my poor english.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5346
Location: Germany

steel_1024 wrote:
Lexel wrote:
Order from OSH Park


How should the drive connect to the LEDs, all in parallel?

The LEDs are wired in 2S/3P the Battery carrier is 2S/2P

so a 2S DD driver works

steel_1024
steel_1024's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 14:06
Posts: 486
Location: Taiwan

Received, NICHIA

Sorry for my poor english.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7744

This is not ASTROLUX

steel_1024 wrote:
Received, NICHIA !https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4369/36432170186_5e51abc7fd_z.jpg! !https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4364/36081281140_90ddf9517f_z.jpg! !farm5.staticflickr.com/4423/36081280090_6cb2b649b9_z.jpg!

©freemex1thedeals.com

steel_1024
steel_1024's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 14:06
Posts: 486
Location: Taiwan

Exactly the same product.

How to distinguish it?

ASTROLUX assembly quality is better?

Sorry for my poor english.

freeme
freeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 7744

Banggood has not shipped out our orders yet. Our requirements will be much higher.

 

You deliberately hide MT18's logo isn't it?

steel_1024 wrote:
How to distinguish it?

 

steel_1024 wrote:
freeme wrote:

This is not ASTROLUX

steel_1024 wrote:
Received, NICHIA !https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4369/36432170186_5e51abc7fd_z.jpg! !https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4364/36081281140_90ddf9517f_z.jpg! !farm5.staticflickr.com/4423/36081280090_6cb2b649b9_z.jpg!

Exactly the same product. How to distinguish it? ASTROLUX assembly quality is better?

©freemex1thedeals.com

steel_1024
steel_1024's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 14:06
Posts: 486
Location: Taiwan

deliberately ???

Why should i do it?

This is MATEMINCO MT18, same as Astrolux MF-01, isn’t it?

I have no other intention.
I really like this flashlight.

look OP

Sorry for my poor english.

wkhchin81
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 09/27/2015 - 03:52
Posts: 126
Location: Singapore

Oh!! The first batch pre-order in TaoBao . It just sold @ RMB 368 or ~ US$55.++.

CWK

Ilmatic
Ilmatic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/30/2017 - 20:49
Posts: 149
Location: NJ, United States

steel_1024 wrote:
deliberately ???

Why should i do it?

This is MATEMINCO MT18, same as Astrolux MF-01, isn’t it?

I have no other intention.
I really like this flashlight.

look OP
!{width:50%}http://www.metronixlaser.de/bilder/flashlight/Astrolux_MF01/IMG_3468.jpg!

Can you send us more pictures of beamshots and/or defects that you have come across?

Thank you!

BLF (GT, Q8, A6)
Haikelite (MT03 TA, SC01)
Astrolux (FT03, MF-01, S1, S42)
Sofirn (C8A, SP32A, SF14)
Emisar (D4, D4S)
[Convoy L6, Utorch UT02, KDLITKER C8.2, Inova T4R]

Silent_Star
Silent_Star's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 06/09/2016 - 14:52
Posts: 215
Location: Tel-Aviv

So, Lexel, to buy or not to buy? This is the quastion!
Can you say that is the “Must Have” flashlight?

I want this flashlight, but afraid to be disappointed.

 Genesis 1:3 "And God said, "Let there be light,"  and there was light."

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5346
Location: Germany

The unbranded Banggood pre production sample lights were sent to at least 2 BLF Members as well as tested by banggood not reaching the light output

After my review and other small issues reported to Banggood there were made changes to the driver, user interface, battery carrier and the lens assembly as far as I know

Also Banggoods quality management will likely have a look at the lights before they get shipped to assure that the light is in full working condition

This also slowed down the launch of the Astrolux MF01 by at least 6 weeks

The Astrolux light is definately better than the MT18, I would buy it as its a real killer light when it comes to price and quality ratio, as well got improved with BLF

nnmnu1
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/06/2017 - 09:20
Posts: 33

After what happened with the S42 I hope their quality control is better this time.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5346
Location: Germany

Silent_Star wrote:
So, Lexel, to buy or not to buy? This is the quastion!
Can you say that is the “Must Have” flashlight?

I want this flashlight, but afraid to be disappointed.

even the pre production light is good, as it is, but izt seems Matemineco lacks quality management
the UI is useable and way better than the S42s
and got changed to be like many BLF members like it, with direct access to turbo with double click

When Banggood does the changes this light will have a great UI, great light output and an unbeliveable price for what you get

just thing for the DQG Tiny 3. people payed 50$

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 1007
Location: Indonesia

haha good point by itself.

Lexel wrote:
just thing for the DQG Tiny 3. people payed 50$
SteveMidwest
SteveMidwest's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/27/2017 - 19:58
Posts: 142
Location: Iowa

My thoughts exactly WTF (and hIKARInoob). You hit the nail on the head! Cool

Acebeam is really good at having a mode on its line of flashlights, that hits its heat dissipation sweet spot, exactly.

Take the newer X45 for example. Capable of putting out a total of about 16,500 lms. On high, which is a 4000 lm level. It can be turned on at that level, and it will stay there, with no step-downs, for 1.4 hours. At which point, the batteries can no longer maintain that output.

Even on the newest Acebeam X80. Which is a smaller sized flashlight, but capable of putting out approximately 25,000 lms. They pushed it even harder. In the high mode, when the flashlight is cool, and the battery levels are full. That flashlight can be turned on in high mode, and run at 5000 lms for 20 minutes, and then, it only steps down to 4000 lms. For the remainder of what the batteries can handle.

The Acebeam K60. The same way. Turn that flashlight on in level 6, and it will give you a constant 5000-ish lumens, for over an hour.

I too, would love to see more flashlight manufactures work on getting a ‘sweet-spot’ level figured out, and programmed into their flashlights. That they will maintain, from a cool start.

steel_1024
steel_1024's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2016 - 14:06
Posts: 486
Location: Taiwan

Arrived
No ring, again……

Sorry for my poor english.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5346
Location: Germany

steel_1024 wrote:
Arrived
No ring, again……

!https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4375/35813250283_7681aba1d4_z.jpg!

this happens too often I also had some drivers without rings lately
can you confirm it fits the light?

but it will be OK if you add a thin solder layer to the 3 screw spots to make contact with the brass ring
simply the metal layer needs to be higher than the mask paint

mail Oshpark and they will fully refund the drivers

and instead the 7135s more reliable regulators are those
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-A705NGT-330-Encapsulation-SOT-89-/132216716613#shpCntId

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15781
Location: Amsterdam

SteveMidwest wrote:
My thoughts exactly WTF (and hIKARInoob). You hit the nail on the head! Cool

Acebeam is really good at having a mode on its line of flashlights, that hits its heat dissipation sweet spot, exactly.

Take the newer X45 for example. Capable of putting out a total of about 16,500 lms. On high, which is a 4000 lm level. It can be turned on at that level, and it will stay there, with no step-downs, for 1.4 hours. At which point, the batteries can no longer maintain that output.

Even on the newest Acebeam X80. Which is a smaller sized flashlight, but capable of putting out approximately 25,000 lms. They pushed it even harder. In the high mode, when the flashlight is cool, and the battery levels are full. That flashlight can be turned on in high mode, and run at 5000 lms for 20 minutes, and then, it only steps down to 4000 lms. For the remainder of what the batteries can handle.

The Acebeam K60. The same way. Turn that flashlight on in level 6, and it will give you a constant 5000-ish lumens, for over an hour.

I too, would love to see more flashlight manufactures work on getting a ‘sweet-spot’ level figured out, and programmed into their flashlights. That they will maintain, from a cool start.


I’m a bit skeptic that the X80 can put out 4000 lumen OTF continuously without getting blistering hot.
NapoleonsTriumph
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 08/10/2017 - 03:04
Posts: 7
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Has there been any update on the battery compartment with regards to the size of batteries this will accept. As it stands it will only accept unprotected flat tops?

Ilmatic
Ilmatic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/30/2017 - 20:49
Posts: 149
Location: NJ, United States
NapoleonsTriumph wrote:
Has there been any update on the battery compartment with regards to the size of batteries this will accept. As it stands it will only accept unprotected flat tops?

I believe the production light will only take button-top batteries.

BLF (GT, Q8, A6)
Haikelite (MT03 TA, SC01)
Astrolux (FT03, MF-01, S1, S42)
Sofirn (C8A, SP32A, SF14)
Emisar (D4, D4S)
[Convoy L6, Utorch UT02, KDLITKER C8.2, Inova T4R]

NapoleonsTriumph
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 08/10/2017 - 03:04
Posts: 7
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Ilmatic wrote:
NapoleonsTriumph wrote:
Has there been any update on the battery compartment with regards to the size of batteries this will accept. As it stands it will only accept unprotected flat tops?

I believe the production light will only take button-top batteries.


Lexel in the OP said

“The light is build for unprotected batteries, protected or button top unprotected won’t fit, the ones I have with a 2mm brass button fit barely
On the left the one with the brass button and on the right a flat top battery”

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 983
Location: Sweden
NapoleonsTriumph wrote:
Ilmatic wrote:
NapoleonsTriumph wrote:
Has there been any update on the battery compartment with regards to the size of batteries this will accept. As it stands it will only accept unprotected flat tops?

I believe the production light will only take button-top batteries.


Lexel in the OP said

“The light is build for unprotected batteries, protected or button top unprotected won’t fit, the ones I have with a 2mm brass button fit barely
On the left the one with the brass button and on the right a flat top battery”

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1161029#comment-1161029

Pages