TK's Emisar D4 review

5353 posts / 0 new
Last post
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10614
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

The turbo level on hotrod lights like the D4 is mostly just intended for burst use anyway, not sustained use. So, ideally, it should only be used for short periods before the user manually sets it back to a sane level. It only takes a moment to see what’s off in the distance, or to make people nearby go “wow”.

Flashlights have reached an odd point in their development, where “brighter” is no longer synonymous with “more useful”. For general daily purposes, usually a couple hundred lumens is enough… and beyond that, the most important traits relate to the size and shape and interface and quality and stuff like that.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 46 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6250
Location: Ślōnsk

Has anyone measured how many lm does D4 make with 18350 tube and XP-L HI?

CrashOne
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 02/18/2014 - 13:29
Posts: 351
Location: The Netherlands

I’m looking for a stainless steel lanyard ring that fits the D4 Ti. I know I probably need to sand a bit of the tail cap to make it fit, but that’s no problem. Just need one that fits the diameter or one that I can sand down to fit.

Burncycle
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 01:19
Posts: 12
Location: USA

I recently lost my Zebralight SC600 Mk II XM-L2 and just discovered the Emisar lights.

Silly high turbo modes aside, does anyone know offhand if the Emisar D4 has reasonably similar run times at equivalent outputs to the Zebralight?

I believe Zebralight claims: High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs) Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs) Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)

Mostly interested in the high / medium (so runtimes at around 1,000 lumens and say ~400 lumens). I may invest in the D4SV2 for the higher capacity.

varbos
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 562
Location: Europe

Burncycle wrote:
I recently lost my Zebralight SC600 Mk II XM-L2 and just discovered the Emisar lights.

Silly high turbo modes aside, does anyone know offhand if the Emisar D4 has reasonably similar run times at equivalent outputs to the Zebralight?

I believe Zebralight claims: High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs) Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs) Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)

Mostly interested in the high / medium (so runtimes at around 1,000 lumens and say ~400 lumens). I may invest in the D4SV2 for the higher capacity.


The runtimes will be shorter for a given output because ZL drivers are more efficient. The D4 driver is simply burning off (ie wasting) excess voltage.

This is not a criticism of Emisar. ZL drivers are more efficient than most flashlights.

The beam profile of the D4 is very floody so you might also need a lot more lumens in a given scenario than you did with the Zebralight. Or not, it depends what you are doing.

CrashOne
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 02/18/2014 - 13:29
Posts: 351
Location: The Netherlands

varbos wrote:
Burncycle wrote:
I recently lost my Zebralight SC600 Mk II XM-L2 and just discovered the Emisar lights.

Silly high turbo modes aside, does anyone know offhand if the Emisar D4 has reasonably similar run times at equivalent outputs to the Zebralight?

I believe Zebralight claims: High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs) Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32 Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs) Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)

Mostly interested in the high / medium (so runtimes at around 1,000 lumens and say ~400 lumens). I may invest in the D4SV2 for the higher capacity.


The runtimes will be shorter for a given output because ZL drivers are more efficient. The D4 driver is simply burning off (ie wasting) excess voltage.

This is not a criticism of Emisar. ZL drivers are more efficient than most flashlights.

The beam profile of the D4 is very floody so you might also need a lot more lumens in a given scenario than you did with the Zebralight. Or not, it depends what you are doing.

The D4 has a slight advantage in terms of LED efficiency: it drives more leds at lower amps in a more efficient range to get to 1000 lumen. And the Zebralight will not run for 2 hours on high (H1). Your battery will be drained after 1.3 hours Smile

varbos
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 562
Location: Europe

CrashOne wrote:

The D4 has a slight advantage in terms of LED efficiency: it drives more leds at lower amps in a more efficient range to get to 1000 lumen. And the Zebralight will not run for 2 hours on high (H1). Your battery will be drained after 1.3 hours Smile

That is certainly the theory but I don’t recall seeing any quad or triple whose luminous efficacy stood out as being impressive. Maukka has tested a few.
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10614
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Burncycle wrote:
does anyone know offhand if the Emisar D4 has reasonably similar run times at equivalent outputs to the Zebralight?

In general, ZebraLights are the most efficient on the market. Nothing else produces as many lumen-hours per charge. So the question really should be how much difference will there be.

The D4 is a FET+1 design, which has okay efficiency on the “+1” part and lower efficiency on the FET part. So it’s okay up to about 140 lm, and then efficiency drops above that.

The KR4 is more efficient since it’s regulated up to 5A… but it’s still not as efficient as a ZebraLight.

The biggest differences, though, are other traits. SC600 vs D4 have very different beam profiles, with one being throwy and one being floody. They have very different color temperatures and tints available. They have differently-shaped hosts. And they have very different interfaces and feature sets.

If you want something similar to a ZL, you might find the YLP Unicorn interesting. It’s not a SC600, but it’s similar to a SC64.

Or if you want something with a lot of throw, perhaps try a Noctigon KR1. It’s quite a bit more throwy than a SC600 XM-L2 though. So it’s not great for seeing things up-close, but if you’re mostly looking into the distance it’ll be significantly more efficient than a SC600 since it doesn’t need as much power to reach the same amount of candelas.

Burncycle
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2013 - 01:19
Posts: 12
Location: USA

Thank you!

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1497
Location: MN

I think in practice you’ll only obviously notice the runtime difference much in two situations:
-Not changing/charging the battery in your light for literally weeks/months at a time and using lower modes most of the time (or leaving the light on in firefly while on your nightstand, etc. every night)
-If you’re frequently using output at ~1000lm or above, but that’s as much due to sheer current draw as it is lower driver efficiency

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10614
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
I think in practice you’ll only obviously notice the runtime difference much in two situations…

Yeah. A single 18650 cell, especially a 3500 mAh one, generally runs more than long enough unless you’re a night guard walking around for 40 hours a week with the light set to a pretty high mode.

But I’m not. So I only need to charge the battery once every few months. And at that point, it doesn’t really matter if one light gets 1.3X as much runtime as another; either one is plenty. I don’t even charge or discharge my cells completely, because I don’t need the extra runtime and it’s healthier for the cell if I don’t. I usually just charge it when it gets down to 3.3V or 3.4V, and stop charging at 4.0V or 4.1V. By doing this, even decade-old batteries still work fine.

haxquiz
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 10/21/2014 - 04:06
Posts: 24
Location: Netherlands

I loved this light, but unfortunately misplaced it somewhere and cannot seem to find it again.
Now i need to buy a replacement for it…

Pages