TK's Emisar D4 review

5343 posts / 0 new
Last post
hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4186
Agro wrote:
Also, I noticed that if I heat it up a bit, turn it off and start at full output, the peak temperature will be much higher than originally. Also, I think it may be exceeding the level that I configured….or maybe my burnt fingers got more sensitive Wink

If you set the temperature by switching the light off when you feel the max temperature has reached, then the actual temperature at the sensor (inside flashlight) is higher, as there is a temperature difference, or “delay” with the surface. So from a cold light when you engage turbo, then the max temperature you feel should be similar, but when you go to turbo from a warm light, then the max temperature you feel should be higher. This holds true for steady state max output/temperature at about 600-ish lumens as well; this temperature will be higher than what you think you have set.
At least this is my take on it.

Edit:

The higher the temperature increase rate (dT/dt), the bigger the difference between desired maximum temperature (what you felt), and actual max temperature value (Tmax set by D4).

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5956
Location: Ślōnsk

General note: I find blinking very bright. Even during the day it can hurt the eyes.

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5956
Location: Ślōnsk
hIKARInoob wrote:
Agro wrote:
Also, I noticed that if I heat it up a bit, turn it off and start at full output, the peak temperature will be much higher than originally. Also, I think it may be exceeding the level that I configured….or maybe my burnt fingers got more sensitive Wink

If you set the temperature by switching the light off when you feel the max temperature has reached, then the actual temperature at the sensor (inside flashlight) is higher, as there is a temperature difference, or “delay” with the surface. So from a cold light when you engage turbo, then the max temperature you feel should be similar, but when you go to turbo from a warm light, then the max temperature you feel should be higher. This holds true for steady state max output/temperature at about 600-ish lumens as well; this temperature will be higher than what you think you have set.
At least this is my take on it.


I guess you’re right. Idea for future improvement: Do the calibration twice to make sure it starts with a warm light. Or do it with far less than 100% output, so the effective delay is lower.
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5956
Location: Ślōnsk

What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light?
Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2124
Location: Finland

A word of warning. Just noticed there was a 6.3mm metal shaving peeling off the positive end of my 18350 tube. Gladly noticed it before sticking in a battery. It was sticking inwards a bit so could have possibly shorted the plus and minus, since it was longer than the distance between contacts on the driver end (3mm).

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16921
Location: Amsterdam

My 18350 tube had that too, maukka, the shaving forms where the threading ends. I did not think much of it, just pulled it off, but you are right, there is a possibility of things going wrong if you are not observative and unlucky.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4186
djozz wrote:
My 18350 tube had that too, maukka, the shaving forms where the threading ends. I did not think much of it, just pulled it off, but you are right, there is a possibility of things going wrong if you are not observative and unlucky.

This killed Lexel’s Klarus G35 driver for the review or not? http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55453

Ok, it wasn’t a piece of metal from the Emisar D4, but from the G35 I presume, hehe. Big Smile

finges
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2014 - 14:50
Posts: 501
Location: Germany

Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light?
Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?

Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.
joechina
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1439
Location: Germany
Fuzzylogic wrote:
Just received my grey nichia and wow. I’m new to the world of led flashlights and this covers a lot of firsts for me. First 18650 light, first quad, first pocket hot rod. This thing is amazing, it’s so bright it’s like having a little piece of the sun in your pocket – heat wise too. It’s actually much smaller than I expected. I bought the 18500 tube for edc but don’t think I’ll need it.

TK yes he is screwed.
He needs also a soda can light.
Fuzzylogic have checked out the Q8 thread?

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16921
Location: Amsterdam

Just a pic to compare it to the S42. The D4 is superior in all aspects but one: USB charging.

But that is quite a big one for me though, a future version of the D4 with USB charging (and regulated maximum modes that temper those modern low Vf emitters a bit) certainly would be an improvement for me, even if that adds a few mm of length.

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1439
Location: Germany

@djozz
it seems the S42 could be as short as the D4. There is a long tripod thread in the tail of the S42

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16921
Location: Amsterdam

joechina wrote:
@djozz
it seems the S42 could be as short as the D4. There is a long tripod thread in the tail of the S42

I know, and the driver with USB socket and components probably eats extra mm’s too.
Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 381
Location: Singapore
finges wrote:
Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light? Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?
Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.

Got a link for the gitd foil?

finges
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 11/19/2014 - 14:50
Posts: 501
Location: Germany
Slayer1 wrote:
finges wrote:
Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light? Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?
Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.

Got a link for the gitd foil?


I used this https://www.ebay.de/itm/141654400313

But I think you can find something similar in your country.

Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 381
Location: Singapore
finges wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:
finges wrote:
Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light? Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?
Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.

Got a link for the gitd foil?


I used this https://www.ebay.de/itm/141654400313

But I think you can find something similar in your country.

Thanks.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2729
Location: France, Angers

Mine showed up 2 days ago… I can’t put it down since then !
219C and grey, I just added a Convoy clip (slightly re-bended to fit)

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

JIGHEADWORM
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 07/02/2017 - 18:04
Posts: 246
Location: Tennessee

How is the tint on the xpl-hi 3a.I got the nicha 219c version and was thinking about getting the xpl-hi mcpcb from international and trying it.I figured for about the same price as and xpl-hi i could have the light and 2 different mcpcb.

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4111
Location: The Motor City
Slayer1 wrote:
finges wrote:
Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light? Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?
Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.

Got a link for the gitd foil?


Never used or heard of GITD Foil, but I use this http://www.glow-on.com/products.html and it’s pretty impressive!

Th adhesive vinyl works best, it last about 8-12 hrs, at about the out put level of a trit, the paint (water based) not as long but is good for filling in the back ground of the board, but it is a PITA to use, I have bags of the powder too that I mix with petroleum/epoxy based paints, it applies easier if you thin it out.

On these smaller lights I just stick with the vinyl tape. I have a precision shim punch and knock out some different size dot’s to stick dead center of the triple and quad boards, then use a razor and straight edge to make strips, to run around the ID of the head or small strips just at the top or bottom of the LED’s or to make locator strips around the battery tube or head of the lights.

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 1041
Location: Sweden
X3 wrote:
Mine showed up 2 days ago… I can’t put it down since then !

+1

If you’re only going to buy one light ever, this is the one to get.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4186
RollerBoySE wrote:
X3 wrote:
Mine showed up 2 days ago… I can’t put it down since then !

+1

If you’re only going to buy one light ever, this is the one to get.

That’s right. This D4 is very bad for the flashlight industry, and for the Chinese economy. Big Smile

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 987
Location: Rochester, NY
ToyKeeper wrote:
I wonder if anyone has tried a SC600 clip on the D4. It looks like it should be just about right…

It won’t work unfortunately.

I just measured my Zebralight clip and the “arms” are too wide. They measure about 3.6mm and the groove in the D4 tube is only 2.8mm wide.

It’ll work with a bit of grinding but not fresh out of the box.

RollerBoySE
RollerBoySE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2014 - 11:23
Posts: 1041
Location: Sweden
hIKARInoob wrote:
That’s right. This D4 is very bad for the flashlight industry, and for the Chinese economy. Big Smile

And no flashaholic should be without (at least) one in their collection! Love

Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 381
Location: Singapore
KawiBoy1428 wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:
finges wrote:
Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light? Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?
Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.

Got a link for the gitd foil?


Never used or heard of GITD Foil, but I use this http://www.glow-on.com/products.html and it’s pretty impressive!

Th adhesive vinyl works best, it last about 8-12 hrs, at about the out put level of a trit, the paint (water based) not as long but is good for filling in the back ground of the board, but it is a PITA to use, I have bags of the powder too that I mix with petroleum/epoxy based paints, it applies easier if you thin it out.

On these smaller lights, I just stick with the vinyl tape. I have a precision shim punch and knock out some different size dot’s to stick dead center of the triple and quad boards, then use a razor and straight edge to make strips, to run around the ID of the head or small strips just at the top or bottom of the LED’s or to make locator strips around the battery tube or head of the lights.

Thanks. Do you use normal art paint brush to apply the GITD paint?

gregor
gregor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/09/2015 - 16:35
Posts: 589
Location: Slovenia
maukka wrote:
I like the Astrolux holsters – especially for the price the quality is nice.

Thank you. It’s nice and cheap. I will buy one.
Kind regards

Fuzzylogic
Fuzzylogic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 07/27/2017 - 15:38
Posts: 35
Location: NYC

ToyKeeper wrote:

Of course, you’ll still need a thrower… and a compact thrower… and a keychain light… and maybe that one with the magnetic ring… and that pretty copper light… and…

Okay, maybe rizky_p is right. You’re screwed.

It’s too late for me already. Everything you listed I either recently acquired or have one on the way LOL

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4111
Location: The Motor City
Slayer1 wrote:
KawiBoy1428 wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:
finges wrote:
Agro wrote:
What’s the recommended way of adding GITD to this light? Has anyone found a matching GITD o-ring? How about a glow paint?
Buy a sheet of gitd foil. Then you can cut two stripes around 3mm wide and stick them around the inside of the light. There are two flat walls where you can stick them to.

Got a link for the gitd foil?


Never used or heard of GITD Foil, but I use this http://www.glow-on.com/products.html and it’s pretty impressive!

Th adhesive vinyl works best, it last about 8-12 hrs, at about the out put level of a trit, the paint (water based) not as long but is good for filling in the back ground of the board, but it is a PITA to use, I have bags of the powder too that I mix with petroleum/epoxy based paints, it applies easier if you thin it out.

On these smaller lights, I just stick with the vinyl tape. I have a precision shim punch and knock out some different size dot’s to stick dead center of the triple and quad boards, then use a razor and straight edge to make strips, to run around the ID of the head or small strips just at the top or bottom of the LED’s or to make locator strips around the battery tube or head of the lights.

Thanks. Do you use normal art paint brush to apply the GITD paint?

Your welcome!
Yep, I have a couple horse hair brushes that work the best, the synthetic hair bristled brush will not hold the water base paint very well at all, and then spreads it out kinda streaky,but they work with the petroleum based paint!

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

Fuzzylogic
Fuzzylogic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 07/27/2017 - 15:38
Posts: 35
Location: NYC

joechina wrote:

TK yes he is screwed.
He needs also a soda can light.
Fuzzylogic have checked out the Q8 thread?

I have, but I’m not interested in large multi-cell light…for now. This D4 is actually all that I need (I tell myself repeatedly).

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3744
Location: RO
gregor wrote:
Thank you. It’s nice and cheap. I will buy one. Kind regards

Blasphemy to put the Emisar in that brand.

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 987
Location: Rochester, NY

Perhaps “nice and inexpensive” or “nice and a great value”?

Johnnyh
Johnnyh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/12/2017 - 05:41
Posts: 23
Location: Upstate New York

Yep, Marketing 101, never use the word "cheap" ...inexpensive, value, bang for buck, cost-effective, economical...never "cheap" (even if it is!). Still waiting for Mountain to tell me they restocked...oh well.

Pages