TK's Emisar D4 review

4977 posts / 0 new
Last post
beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3195
Location: Pennsylvania

noboneshotdog wrote:
Regarding having a little more grip or knerling. I have found Talon Grips to work awesome. They are textured “grip tape” that can be adhered to the light. They hold up GREAT to heat as well.
Thanks that looks interesting. Also T18’s shrink wrap idea. I totally agree I’d prefer if it had some knurling.

Here’s another idea for grip, Vape Bands!
Very grippy silicone rubber around 23mm dia. they fit the S2+ great.
Just one of these near the tail end of the tube works great for a tactical grip.

The D4 has a pretty thick tube: 23.9mm(spec from TK) I tried one on a flashlight head that measured 23.5mm and it fit no problem.

You can get a lot of different colors, and different widths (thin or thick) FT has tons, search “vape bands”:
Beer

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
zak.wilson wrote:
What kind of inaccuracy does the phone’s light sensor have? Is it indicating something along the lines of 40% when the output is actually 60%, or were you trying to treat the phone’s “lux” as actual lux?

Ceilingbounce works great for what it does. It has been immensely helpful for this project. But if I want to measure lumens, I have a calibrated light box. Smile

It definitely beats trying to estimate lumens based on the relative placement of pixels in a graph.

In any case, I got 1500 by guessing 4300 for the peak value (not the 100% value) and scaling it by the relative position of the stable state on the graph. I got 2250 by putting the light in my light box during a similar test. The main difference was that the graph was fan-cooled, while the light box test wasn’t cooled at all. And one used a calibrated and reasonably trustworthy sensor, while the other used whatever cheap thing was good enough to auto-adjust screen brightness in sunlight.

There’s nothing wrong with Ceilingbounce. My phone sensor probably just has a non-linear response curve.

Turby3Pots
Turby3Pots's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 03/31/2013 - 20:51
Posts: 520
Location: Richmond va USA

hey what’s it take to flash this thing with your new firmware? or preferably buy one with the blink at 100% and the memory?

zak.wilson
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 616
ToyKeeper wrote:
My phone sensor probably just has a non-linear response curve.

That’s what I was looking for. If that’s common enough, it’s an issue I should at least make people aware of, as it could result in inaccurate information like “this light has a stepdown to 40%” when it’s actually 60%.

One of my phones is sensitive to CRI, giving significantly higher readings with high-CRI lights. I wonder if I could use that as a crude way to estimate CRI….

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3195
Location: Pennsylvania

ToyKeeper wrote:

Changes from the original version include:
  • added full thermal regulation with user-calibrated ceiling
  • added mode memory on click-from-off (default 100% 7135)
  • made beacon use current ramp level
  • made double-click toggle turbo (not just one-way any more)
  • made LVP drop down in smaller steps
  • calibrated moon to ~0.3 lm on Emisar D4-219c hardware
  • blink when passing the 100% 7135 level, for reference
  • fixed display of “zero” digits
  • fixed/cleaned misc internal things
Yeah thanks TK! This is an awesome UI, and great revisions, much needed.

One question about the new Turbo Toggle function:

ToyKeeper wrote:
* made double-click toggle turbo (not just one-way any more)

So if I understand correctly, it works like this:
(From Off):
Double-click = turbo on
Double-click again = off

And previously it was:
(From Off):
Double-click = turbo on
Single-click = off

And can turbo be quick access from any level, or only from off?

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

T18
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1157

I’ve used Talon myself and really do like it, mostly on handguns and actually was where I got the idea for covering and coating lights that have some issue, you can start here and you’ll never end with ideas,
“Talon 5×7“0.5mm thick,!! Heat… Remember, Shepard, Roos, Hex Mag, Black Wings Grip.. “:https://www.amazon.com/TALON-998R-Grips-Rubber-Black-7-Inch/dp/B01FLQO5I...
I’ve probably used at least 50 different brands and types of stuff, from skate board no slip, to some really nice pistol grip materials with some great designs, sky is the limit frankly, my shrink thing on that one light was what I had on hand and knew it wouldn’t cause HEAT issues, that you always have to keep in mind. I’ve been doing this to fix up some really ugly lights but they looked cool just had bad ano or something so use this sort of stuff to fix it up.. have fun,

Edit: Started doing lights with these types of materials after attempting stuff like powder coating, stripping etc. and believe me this is the way to go, cash wise and hassle free for the most part.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
goshdogit wrote:
Will it be on the repository soon?

As soon as Hank releases it… which should be pretty soon. He’s testing a release candidate now.

T18 wrote:
what happens if you are offered a paying job.? Late nights.?

If I come down with a bad case of hit-by-a-bus syndrome, the code is still open and published under a fairly robust open-source license. Not unlike how Tom got busy and I was able to fill in. Fortunately though, he didn’t get hit by a bus; I’m told he is fine but preoccupied with other parts of life. I hope things will settle down soon so he can come back. Unless he’s having a really good time, I mean. I wouldn’t want to cut that short.

T18 wrote:
Proper way to test this light out of the box would be, … double click light, drop into front pocket, … testing the poor man way, low tech but extremely effective and unforgettable Silly


I’d have to find a volunteer to do the nut-roasting test.
Can’t do that one myself.



ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
beam0 wrote:
One question about the new Turbo Toggle function:
ToyKeeper wrote:
* made double-click toggle turbo (not just one-way any more)

So if I understand correctly, it works like this:
(From Off):
Double-click = turbo on
Double-click again = off

And previously it was:
(From Off):
Double-click = turbo on
Single-click = off

And can turbo be quick access from any level, or only from off?

It’s in the diagram:

Double-click from off (or from a non-turbo level) goes to turbo.

Double-click in turbo goes to the previously-memorized ramp level.

A single click still turns it off.

To set the memorized level, simply ramp to whatever brightness you want. It also sets memory when turning off, so you can double-click to turbo, then single-click off, and memory is set to the highest level.

Memory is only used for the ramp level, not for the mode. So, if you turn the light off in beacon mode, memory won’t return you to beacon mode.

Basically, during normal use this means:

  • Ramp up to whatever level you need for walking the dog.
  • If you hear a noise, double-click to go to turbo and see what happened.
  • Afterward, double-click to go back to the dog-walking level.
  • When finished, click once to turn the light off.
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
wdkingery wrote:
hey what’s it take to flash this thing with your new firmware? or preferably buy one with the blink at 100% and the memory?

It takes a soldering iron, tweezers, and a toothpick to get the driver out… and some flashing tools. Click the Link in my signature for more information on that last part.

Or, to buy one, just wait a bit and both Intl-Outdoor and Mtn Electronics should have it.

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3195
Location: Pennsylvania

Excellent, thanks for clarifying, got it now. Smile

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 39 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 2793
Location: California
ToyKeeper wrote:
beam0 wrote:
One question about the new Turbo Toggle function:
ToyKeeper wrote:
* made double-click toggle turbo (not just one-way any more)

So if I understand correctly, it works like this:
(From Off):
Double-click = turbo on
Double-click again = off

And previously it was:
(From Off):
Double-click = turbo on
Single-click = off

And can turbo be quick access from any level, or only from off?

It’s in the diagram:

Double-click from off (or from a non-turbo level) goes to turbo.

Double-click in turbo goes to the previously-memorized ramp level.

A single click still turns it off.

To set the memorized level, simply ramp to whatever brightness you want. It also sets memory when turning off, so you can double-click to turbo, then single-click off, and memory is set to the highest level.

Memory is only used for the ramp level, not for the mode. So, if you turn the light off in beacon mode, memory won’t return you to beacon mode.

Basically, during normal use this means:

  • Ramp up to whatever level you need for walking the dog.
  • If you hear a noise, double-click to go to turbo and see what happened.
  • Afterward, double-click to go back to the dog-walking level.
  • When finished, click once to turn the light off.
This UI looks perfect. Very well done TK!!!
T18
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1157

Ha Ha Ha, TK to funny, seriously suggest for folks to just be patient and wait a bit, then no tooth pics, tweezers or toasty nuts, no hay problema, this upgrade to this UI was at light speed beamed straight to BLF via 16H03,

noboneshotdog
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2012 - 08:47
Posts: 439
Location: Hudson, New Hampshire

Thus has got to be one of the best UI’s I have ever seen! Nice work TK. This light has made its way to the top of my must have list. Thanks team Emisar.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 3820
noboneshotdog wrote:
This light has made its way to the top of my must have list. Thanks team Emisar.

… Definitely a must have for 2017… Party

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
noboneshotdog wrote:
Thus has got to be one of the best UI’s I have ever seen! Nice work TK.

Thanks, but Tom and Hank did most of the work.

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1194
Location: mid USA left coast

Well, now, Forrest Gump is working on this, too? Wink

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Life is like a box of chocolates. It gets really messy if you put it in your pocket with a D4 on turbo.

Runtimes, Forrest! Runtimes!

Really though, I love watching LotR: The Two Towers. Because at the end when there’s a scene with the Ents charging toward the tower of Isengard for a battle, it’s fun to shout out “Run, forest, run!”

It’s a long movie, but some things are worth waiting for.

Sorry to make you all wait an extra week for the D4. I hope it’ll be worth the wait.

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 3820

^^^ This light is worth waiting, even a very long time… Let this light be marvelous. Cool

fuzun
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 02/11/2017 - 13:37
Posts: 190

Do you know any Chinese store selling or will sell Emisar D4? I am not from USA so current sellers in the thread are not valid for me I think.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

fuzun, Intl-Outdoor.com.

rjd
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/18/2016 - 01:39
Posts: 25
Location: S.E. Aus

ToyKeeper wrote:
fuzun, Intl-Outdoor.com.

According to the email I got from them this morning $40 posted to Australia and avaliable in a “few days”
Joey Adams
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 21:29
Posts: 375
Location: Jamestown, KY

TK, do you know if the next batch of D4s that RMM will stock when they arrive will have your version of the firmware? I know that this may be assuming that you are psychic but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for this great review, and firmware tweak!

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 39 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 2793
Location: California

Yes, we’re all slobbering drool over our keyboards and wearing out our mouse buttons spamming the refresh button at Mountain Electronics. Any predictions on when these will be in?

Joey Adams
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 21:29
Posts: 375
Location: Jamestown, KY

Oh man, I thought I was the only one doing that. Sad

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 638
Location: Rochester, NY

I’ve got one of the first batch and hope that the newer firmware will help with the heat. My oh my does this thing heat up quickly. I love, REALLY love how it lights up my entire front yard, but it gets hot/very warm nearly all the way to the tailcap if it’s on at maximum power. It’s my first hot rod light so this may be the case, but I’m aware of the heat and still enjoy using this one nightly. Luckily I can quickly ramp down with ease. I really like the ramping over steps. So easy and flexible.

I’d like to eventually see the stepdown from turbo to a lower/cooler level and see how dramatic a change it is. In the meantime I’ll be using my little green friend and being happy doing so.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 8247
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Joey Adams wrote:
TK, do you know if the next batch of D4s that RMM will stock when they arrive will have your version of the firmware? I know that this may be assuming that you are psychic but I thought I would ask anyway.

Yes, he is shipping the latest version. He has been updating any older stock to the revised firmware before sending them to customers. The hardware hasn’t changed at all, only the firmware, so an updated first-batch light should be identical to a second-batch light.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 39 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 2793
Location: California
ToyKeeper wrote:
Joey Adams wrote:
TK, do you know if the next batch of D4s that RMM will stock when they arrive will have your version of the firmware? I know that this may be assuming that you are psychic but I thought I would ask anyway.

Yes, he is shipping the latest version. He has been updating any older stock to the revised firmware before sending them to customers. The hardware hasn’t changed at all, only the firmware, so an updated first-batch light should be identical to a second-batch light.

Nice!

I snagged a leftover from the first batch (ordered on Friday) and just got my shipping notice today. Hopefully that means it will come with the new firmware in it! Thumbs Up

I expect I’ll order another since the one I ordered was black and I want a grey one.

noboneshotdog
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 05/12/2012 - 08:47
Posts: 439
Location: Hudson, New Hampshire

Looks like Mountain Electronics has updated the website to reflect the new version 2 UI.

They also updated the price. It is now $40. Still a steal if you ask me.

Joey Adams
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 21:29
Posts: 375
Location: Jamestown, KY

Oh man I am sorry to tell you that I snagged the grey one. I got the xpg2 version since that was all that was available. I had a nichia version IN THE SHOPPING CART and as I was opening paypal and boom. There was a discrepancy in the stock, i.e. someone finished buying the nichia d4 a few seconds before I could pass go. Oh boy that sucks

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 39 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 2793
Location: California

Oh well… I’m sure I’ll get a grey one soon! So looking forward to this light!

At the same time I purchased the light I also purchased some high-CRI 219C emitters and one of RMM’s off-set quad stars. All for swapping into this light when it arrives.

Pages