Problem With moded Convoy S2+

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 465
Location: Indonesia
Problem With moded Convoy S2+

So i moded my Convoy S2+ with BLF A6 driver, it was okay for 5 days until i put a freshly charged battery and while on turbo it dimmed to moon mode which i found out later that all modes are now in moon mode even the strobes. Not sure what is damaged, does the XML2 got damaged from direct driving?

Update: yeah the XML2 is damaged replace it with another XML and it is fine.

The board is not DTP, so do i need DTP board or XML2 is not meant to be pushed that hard?

Edited by: rizky_p on 08/13/2017 - 00:50
Ollie
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2017 - 23:34
Posts: 207

rizky_p,

How hard were you pushing it? I fried one in a similar manner in a light I was building. For whatever reason, the thermal glue decided to break loose, and it got really dim. This was with a DTP, but the MCPCB turned blue, it got so hot.

Ollie

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 2145
Location: Germany

if you got any decent cell you kill a XML2 on a non DTP star by overheating

the other option is by too high current on newer XML2s the bond wires blew at 5.5A, which leaves a moon mode by the gold debries in the dome sometimes

if you go for a new LED why not use XPL HI?
those have at least not the problem with bond wires blow

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 465
Location: Indonesia
Ollie wrote:
rizky_p, How hard were you pushing it? I fried one in a similar manner in a light I was building. For whatever reason, the thermal glue decided to break loose, and it got really dim. This was with a DTP, but the MCPCB turned blue, it got so hot. Ollie

the last time i check it was pushing around 5A i think a bit more.

Lexel wrote:
if you got any decent cell you kill a XML2 on a non DTP star by overheating

the other option is by too high current on newer XML2s the bond wires blew at 5.5A, which leaves a moon mode by the gold debries in the dome sometimes

if you go for a new LED why not use XPL HI?
those have at least not the problem with bond wires blow

The cell was Samsung 30Q fully charged, yeah i think i blew the bond wires as the emitter now it just emits faint glows. I was thinking of swapping to XPL but i like the flood pattern of the XML and i already have XPL light which is BLF A6. Well i might resort back to 8×7135 driver instead of direct driving it or use XPL as you said.

Thanks everyone.

Ollie
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2017 - 23:34
Posts: 207

rizky_p,

The XP-L HD has an XM-L-type beam profile, The HI is tighter, with limited spill.

Ollie

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 465
Location: Indonesia

Yes i just ordered the XP-L HD and will swap it and direct driving it, seems a better way to repair it. I think direct driving is just to much for the XML. Lesson learnt. Facepalm

Ollie wrote:
rizky_p, The XP-L HD has an XM-L-type beam profile, The HI is tighter, with limited spill. Ollie
Ollie
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2017 - 23:34
Posts: 207

rizky_p,

The XP-L has a lower forward voltage than the XM-L. This could result in magic smoke if DDing.

Ollie

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 465
Location: Indonesia

The XPL in BLF A6 is direct driven and it is in similar configuration. As Lexel said the XPL doesn’t have problem with blown bond wire when pushed hard.

Ollie wrote:
rizky_p, The XP-L has a lower forward voltage than the XM-L. This could result in magic smoke if DDing. Ollie
Ollie
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2017 - 23:34
Posts: 207

rizky_p,

Hey, I'm chicken. But we can use the eggs.

Ollie