XPOWER Thunder WT-1 XM-L (by Tiablo)

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE
XPOWER Thunder WT-1 XM-L (by Tiablo)

Not sure if it really is by Tiablo factory (hibernating)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13262032166&spm=1100033450063.0000000130455397.00000028809569764.2

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/xpower-thunder-xml-t6-600lm-flashlight-p-251.html

Same as BD-2, can do candle mode.

T6 3C available!

 

Got one coming (paid for it)...lets see what it can do.  Styling wise, well i like it somewhat.  6/10 passable.

 

asdasd

Edited by: 2100 on 11/16/2011 - 02:31
Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

Looks good, depending on the lighting. I like the size of it and the fact it doesn't have lots of modes.

 

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Yeah...i like it better than the Crelant 7G6, plus this one has T6 3C (great!). 

 I find the candle mode quite useful, been using that on the U80.  My UF-H3 and H2 can do that but then there is PWM.  I hope this one has no PWM.

asd

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/images/7G61_06.jpg 

 

asd

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

I've found some more photos of this light. It actually looks nice.

 

 

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

Looks bigger than I thought.

2100, did you receive it yet ? You should... it's over 2 weeks.

By the way, this whole "X-Power" brand seems suspicious. When I ordered my two unbranded Nitecore EZ AA, they came in carton boxes with "X-Power" written on them. Few days ago, Hank posted this flashlight on his website:

www.intl-outdoor.com/xpower-wildfire-xml-t6-flashlight-p-280.html

which is Thrunite T30 (even the hyper-inflated throw specs known from Thrunite are the same).

And now this model ...supposedly "made by" Tiablo. From my sources, I know that Tiablo was only a "brand" and company behind this brand, didn't make the flashlights by itself (at least not all). I guess this whole "manufacturer" thing is more complicated.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

Tiablo is a manufacturer, however that is not the name in Chinese for the factory, but their brand is called Tiablo. Crelant, Thrunite, Regal and many brands are manufactured  at that factory. It is a considered a reputable place to produce lights that's why the Tiablo name is mentioned.

Many times a factory designs a product and invites companies to brand it.

Hehe, at least it says flat bezel not crenelated.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 760

It looks (especially the head with thin walls and big reflector) a lot like Regalight (Regal) WT1. It was fatastic, well built, fairly small light with good throw (about 15klux/1m).

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

How about this:

http://www.niwalker.com.tw/product.asp?lb=26

This company made Tiablo A9 (with aspheric setup) and all the fancy switches Tiablo was famous for. Also small 1XAA model TL-1.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

coolperl wrote:

How about this:

http://www.niwalker.com.tw/product.asp?lb=26

This company made Tiablo A9 (with aspheric setup) and all the fancy switches Tiablo was famous for. Also small 1XAA model TL-1.

Your point is?

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

See Jetbeam PA40 vs Fenix LD40, no big deal there, even the threads match.

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

Hikelite wrote:

coolperl wrote:

How about this:

http://www.niwalker.com.tw/product.asp?lb=26

This company made Tiablo A9 (with aspheric setup) and all the fancy switches Tiablo was famous for. Also small 1XAA model TL-1.

Your point is?

My point is, that this factory is not "Tiablo" factory, yet they manufactured flashlights for Tiablo. This leads to conclusion, that Tiablo is only "brand" such as Crelant. They design, put a company sticker on the product and sell. They don't have CNC workshop and full assembly line, like for example Fenix, who has everything in one building. At least that's how I see it, although I may be wrong.

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

The Fenix LD40 and Jetbeam BA40 thing, as well as Jetbeam BA10 and Klarus P1A is curious too. You're probably right, there's one big factory that probably makes and design all these lights and they offer such designs to well known brands. However, from CPF talk, there was a conclusion that Klarus IS a factory, because they suppose to make ReVo for 4Sevens. A Revo that was designed by David Chow, realeased in small batch as 4Sevens light, and ended its life (in internal design) as Klarus Mi10, which was the reason 4Sevens ceased cooperation with that factory and discontinued ReVo line.

As I said... this whole thing is very confusing. I mean, Jetbeam, Klarus, Thrunite have some engineers that work on some product. Take for example Thrunite, they ask for a lot of feedback on CPF, they gather ideas, opinions and tune their products to these opinions. And now we have a rebranded X-Power product, that is basically T30 with different branding. A product, which was designed by Thrunite engineers who listened to all "firefly" freaks on CPF. Yet, X-Power is completely unknown for us, without official website, consistent product line, support, etc. Where's the logic (or ethics) here ?

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

 

Talking about re-labelling,many Yezl now look to be manufactured by EDI-T, same switches, drivers with EDI-T printed on them and very similar designs.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

Crealnt is viewed as the same with Tiablo in China. But Tiablo is indded a brand. Now Niwalker appears on the market lately and said they have offered the A9 to Tiablo. Why do they mention the name Tiablo and not the real factorie's name. This is very interesting a Taiwanese company OEM for a Chinese company. The Taiwanese were complaining that they don't have the manufacturing power that Chinese have but they are on the good track to slowly match it.

The X-Power is definitely meant for China. If you think about the ethics then why buy a unbranded EZ AA.  Maybe soon it will be branded to X-Power, you won't like it anymore. 

And yes factories do design lights and offer them to other companies, with the invitation to print they name on them. Other companies pay an advance  to factories but cannot pay the rest so the factory release them for whoever wants to pay to get their name printed on the remaining products.

In the end we should all enjoy the flashlights, talking about what companies do and sell and rebrand and quit doing is useless.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

coolperl wrote:

The Fenix LD40 and Jetbeam BA40 thing, as well as Jetbeam BA10 and Klarus P1A is curious too. You're probably right, there's one big factory that probably makes and design all these lights and they offer such designs to well known brands. However, from CPF talk, there was a conclusion that Klarus IS a factory, because they suppose to make ReVo for 4Sevens. A Revo that was designed by David Chow, realeased in small batch as 4Sevens light, and ended its life (in internal design) as Klarus Mi10, which was the reason 4Sevens ceased cooperation with that factory and discontinued ReVo line.

If i remember the names correctly, someone (owner of 4Sevens) did reply saying that he was pretty pissed with even Sunwayman and all the chinese "manufacturers", the magnetic ring variable output design was originally thought of / conceived by them and he drew up some plans/technical details and put forth to them.  Some discussions went through but the deal broke later.  And then those Chinese manufacturers came up with that exact ring design.   Something like that....   

We were talking about the driver designs of Nitecore and "why they should even work at all because of under-specced components".

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

asdYeah...going to the post office to collect the light later.  It arrived Tuesday but did not have much time to collect within the PO's opening hours.

 

So which light does this one bear a resemblance to?

 

Chicago X
Chicago X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 07/22/2011 - 16:13
Posts: 4013
Location: See Name

Maelstrom, with a hint of L2T

http://wardogsmakingithome.org/index.html

War Dogs, Making it Home - Rescue Dogs for Returning Vets

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 760

Tell that to Thrunite Wink

 

PS. I'd say L2T with a hint of Maelstrom.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Nothing much to report. Built is pretty good but i'd rate it 1 level below Fenix/Jetbeam.... perhaps Solarforce L2P level.  (Entry level premium level)   What can i say about design....it is very good, that's why i got it.  Big Smile

Square threads, very smooth screwing of the tailcap, head.  Has candle mode.

True T6 3C tint.  Very white, and medium does not have any green tint.

PWM freq  - 262Hz.  Average.

high is 530 lumens OTF, low is 144 lumens OTF.

Heatsinking is really good, at 530 lumens it took about 20 seconds for it to jump to 529 lumens, and i am sure that is due to cell voltage drop.

 Throw is 11.8k @ 8.17m.

Beam quality is very good for a SMO.  Smooth corona.  Just a slight hint of a donut hotspot!

 

1.80A at the tailcap. So this light/driver is very very efficient.    For comparison, the JM05 uses 2.6A to get 590 lumens OTF and that is a cool white light while this is a neutral white (though it really is T6)!

Foy
Foy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/02/2011 - 17:56
Posts: 3009
Location: Las Vegas

2100 wrote:

asdYeah...going to the post office to collect the light later.  It arrived Tuesday but did not have much time to collect within the PO's opening hours.

 

So which light does this one bear a resemblance to?

 

Wow . . . that torch is way sexy looking . . .

 

helikesitFoy

No referral links and nothing embedded . . . ever.

                      &nbsp

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

Full specs:

http://thrunite.com/en/ProductView.aspx?id=63

Quote:
If you think about the ethics then why buy a unbranded EZ AA.  Maybe soon it will be branded to X-Power, you won't like it anymore.

This is different situation. Original EZAA is discontinued and it seems, this model brought enough profit to Nitecore and they moved to other models. Releasing "unbranded" EZAA right now, didn't lop off a profits to original designers. It's the same relation as between "steal and sell" and "find abandoned and sell".

For this reason, I won't buy Klarus Mi10, because releasing this model cut off the profits of original designer (4Sevens). No matter how much I like the concept, modes, circuit, etc.

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

2100, thanks for impressions.

PWM sucks.

As for the circuit efficiency, can you make current draw measurement while doing ceiling bounce test? To see, if it really scores 530 OTF while drawing 1.8A? If it's true, it means, that this light has step-down converter (instead of linear regulator) and this value should rise while the cell voltage drops.

On the other hand, if the specs are right and it can run from 9V, it must have step-down converter.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Not sure why they'd clone the design of the Thrunite T30.  I think we should be able to get just over 50 bucks shipped at HKE if you email.  It's 58 bucks at int-world.

Coolperl, it's strange, i drained the cell more and more, but the current does not go up/down, stays pretty stable.  Hmmm....  I'll use a pair of thinner probes and see.

Ok confirmed, i used a pair of thinner probes and it's only 1.3 amps.   I am not sure how much the tailcap switch drops (compared to the DMM) but don't think it's that much.

 

So i used 2 of the Bestinone.net generic IMRs (same as Shao.fu.tzer ones).  4.18V x 2, i got 0.91A.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 760

2100 wrote:

 Throw is 11.8k @ 8.17m.

Can you convert it to lux/1m? Thanks.

_the_
_the_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/08/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 3627
Location: Finland

I suppose he meant 11.8kcd, measured at 8.17m.

=the=

 

raw
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/27/2011 - 01:28
Posts: 88
Location: UTC+08:00

CoolPerl@Firefly freaks. LOL

It is very common that a few large manufacturer produces light for smaller companies due to exorbitant tooling cost or to bring the cost down to the lowest. 

It is also very common to see many shady deals in China, we just witness one here recently. That's how it is there and the climate overall. Too many companies got burned but on the contrary many good product also got made.

The Thrunite looking light looks way cool...

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

coolperl wrote:

PWM sucks.

It's a shame, because i'd have given it a 5 thumbs up if the PWM is more than 1Hz (no need to be overly high).  The built is pretty good, anodizing is not first rate like Crelant/Jetbeam but usable and at least there is no nicks and dents.   Either that or they price it at $39 shipped.

Saving grace is T6 3C NW plus pretty good beam for SMO reflector. And oh yes, i can see that the glass is very lightly AR coated.  Against the sky as a reflection, the tint is slightly pinkish when compared beside another Ultrafire.  So when you look into the reflector when it is turned on, it is pretty "clear and transparent" inside.