Reasonably priced LED yard light ('wow')..any others out there?

101 posts / 0 new
Last post
Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

…order confirmation came through. Delivery (supposedly) by the 20th.

Please jump in here if you’ve made this (foolish?) leap of faith yourself.

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6038
Location: Johnstown, PA

I’ve not made the foolish jump, but I am curious to hear about this light!

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

Flashlights at increasingly efficient levels, much more pleasant tints and at ridiculously low prices (delivered) has been great. To light your entire property at ‘x’ times the current level with similar tints and at almost 1/2 the power consumed for the prices that we’ve been talking about?
Hard to believe.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

Hooked it up and it works. How long with that little heat sinking is anybody’s guess. The tint seems warmer as advertised. 6 LEDS in an array times several rows. I probably won’t last until dark yet it’s pretty bright. Wire leads are of a light gauge.
It’s a crap shoot at best yet obviously not vapor ware. These might be paired with an old (rewired) motion detector light for intermittent use. That amount of light ‘instant on’ would certainly get someone’s attention.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

…I lasted until dark and am impressed. Long throw and wide. Hard to beat for the price if they last.
Ordering one more against my better judgment… Wink

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5876
Location: nyc

That’s the spirit…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

Lightbringer wrote:
That’s the spirit…

lol..it sure seems to be in this madness of a hobby.

Another use even if it sounds out there: at only 100 watts a pop and used in conjunction with a battery plus repeating/fast acting timer and motion sensor plus trail camera or hard wired security system.. why couldn’t these provide what you needed in a very small/portable package to ‘stun’ for that initial all important photo?

You wouldn’t have anybody’s eyes open initially yet this much light will certainly stop someone in their tracks where they shouldn’t be for whatever purpose you are trying to serve. If they destroy it in anger? You’re out an old garage sale motion light fixture and $26 (camera and even possibly power source mounted discreetly elsewhere).

ymmv (good luck).

scotlarock
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 219
Location: Michigan

Hi Freedom, I’m keeping a close eye on this thread. Please continue to give us updates.
Thanks

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
scotlarock wrote:
Hi Freedom, I’m keeping a close eye on this thread. Please continue to give us updates. Thanks

I wish that I could offer more ‘long term’ info beyond an observation that the original Morris light seems to be still working fine. With my finger finally free from a splint I expect my wife to cancel the cable TV soon motivating me to hoist up that 28’x4“x6” laminated pole with a TV antenna and the previously outlined Westgate product attached.
Some of the accessories that i have purchased for that light have been continually backordered so I would keep my experience in mind if this much more configurable Westgate model is your cup of tea.

Advice for these flat/finned lights: Attach whatever is needed to discourage birds from using those nice nest holding cooling fins as the foundation for their new homes. If anybody has an idea that will look halfway decent (it would be nice to top the light with copper or something that didn’t look jury rigged) I’m all ears.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07882Y5NZ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=U...
…has anyone else took the plunge on these?
Lesser lumens…more?
What are these LEDs all about using this design and sold in this price range?

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
Freedom wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07882Y5NZ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=U... …has anyone else took the plunge on these? Lesser lumens…more? What are these LEDs all about using this design and sold in this price range?

My 2nd package containing the light above arrived today. For some reason, I was hoping that 11,000 lumens of lower CRI/warmer tint for $26 delivered would be a bit more attractive to a few more light junkies out there than just myself. I’ll epoxy them both to one of my old RAB motion lights (great long range sensors) pointed in opposing directions and see what happens….

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4209
Location: San Diego, CA

Can you check how much power it’s using. I found my “300 watt” flood light actually only used half that much. The emitters were rated for 300 watts, but the power supplies couldn’t drive them fully.

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
leaftye wrote:
Can you check how much power it’s using. I found my “300 watt” flood light actually only used half that much. The emitters were rated for 300 watts, but the power supplies couldn’t drive them fully.

74 watts

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

The $26 light ended up approx. 14’ up and attached to the middle of a 26’x40’ room. Not much spill in to the corners yet a nice tint and overall compliment to the pretty much useless 4’ fluorescent tubes that will burn around it until they die. I’m happy with the purchase so far as it’s nice to have your main work area spotlighted (well) in a comfortable glow.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
….dimming control and motion sensors on page A53. Smile

http://www.westgatemfg.com/media/pdf/catalogs/OUTDOOR%20LIGHTING.pdf

Lost all sense of reason/frugality/(not to mention) pledges made and purchased the following today:
(1) PN# SK618-601X outdoor rated control which senses motion (turns on/off and has an adjustable timer), is remotely dimmable and which can be manually controlled (off/on) through PN# SK618RC. The remote is evidently RF controlled and should go through walls.

The above was what I was told these two part numbers would do for the Westgate light above.

Again, we’re back to ‘we’ll see’…. Smile

(Edit) Parts arrived and these were the costs:
$70 for the SK618-601X; $20 for the SK618-RC remote and $7.50 for the photocell (plus tax).

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
….dimming control and motion sensors on page A53. Smile

http://www.westgatemfg.com/media/pdf/catalogs/OUTDOOR%20LIGHTING.pdf

Lost all sense of reason/frugality/(not to mention) pledges made and purchased the following today:
(1) PN# SK618-601X outdoor rated control which senses motion (turns on/off and has an adjustable timer), is remotely dimmable and which can be manually controlled (off/on) through PN# SK618RC. The remote is evidently RF controlled and should go through walls.

The above was what I was told these two part numbers would do for the Westgate light above.

Again, we’re back to ‘we’ll see’…. Smile

(Edit) Parts arrived and these were the costs:
$70 for the SK618-601X; $20 for the SK618-RC remote and $7.50 for the photocell (plus tax).

It also looks as if I didn’t need the dusk to dawn control (received bad advice):
http://www.westgatemfg.com/catalog/product/view/id/30116/s/sk618-601x/ca...
(basic specs. for the control; the remote link is broken; would like to hear from someone else who has one of these)

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07882Y5NZ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=U... …has anyone else took the plunge on these? Lesser lumens…more? What are these LEDs all about using this design and sold in this price range?

My 2nd package containing the light above arrived today. For some reason, I was hoping that 11,000 lumens of lower CRI/warmer tint for $26 delivered would be a bit more attractive to a few more light junkies out there than just myself. I’ll epoxy them both to one of my old RAB motion lights (great long range sensors) pointed in opposing directions and see what happens….

Just ordered (4) more when the last of my garage fluorescents died after accidentally leaving the lights on. The 100 watt versions seem to be the best value so I didn’t go with any of the higher lumen versions. Ceilings are only 10 feet high so it will be interesting to see how they cover; especially the light covering my work bench. Hoping to cover a 24’x32’ area w/two lights plus the bench light while saving the last light for a portable (area) work light utilizing the trunion mount paired with some other attachment device.

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6038
Location: Johnstown, PA

Just chiming in to say I’m still following along to see how those $26 Amazon lights fair. Do they seem to handle the heat okay? Are they properly grounded inside? The “100 watt” version – how much is this? Equivalent to an old 500 watt halogen floodlight (the thin long tube ones)?

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
garrybunk wrote:
Just chiming in to say I’m still following along to see how those $26 Amazon lights fair. Do they seem to handle the heat okay? Are they properly grounded inside? The “100 watt” version – how much is this? Equivalent to an old 500 watt halogen floodlight (the thin long tube ones)? -Garry

I have only run them for short periods of time in not very hot climates and have not taken them apart/probably won’t. The 500 watt halogen is probably a good approximation yet probably with less side spill and looking far less intense up close (I chose the 3000K versus whatever a halogen is). The 18,000 lumen that I have from Morris puts that category of halogens to shame yet it’s hard (imo) to beat a 500 watt halogen (period) up close or in a pretty wide pattern.
I remember picking those lights up for $6 in their hayday so $26 for this on a lark with no research to rely on is a lot of money. I’m just hoping that they pay off versus the $100+ that we’re (seemingly) paying for 100 watt (non-corncob) 3000K lights now. Keep in mind that I’m still willing (at this time) to pay approx. $200 for a properly heats sinked 150 watt light sporting a dimmer with nobody else jumping in here concerning either version in any Kelvin rating.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
Freedom wrote:
“..so $26 for this on a lark with no research to rely on is a lot of money. I’m just hoping that they pay off..”

…or perhaps playing guinea pig/gambling a bit more on two of the sensor versions would be more prudent… Sad
:https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Spotlight-Waterproof-Security-Playground/...

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6038
Location: Johnstown, PA
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
“..so $26 for this on a lark with no research to rely on is a lot of money. I’m just hoping that they pay off..”

…or perhaps playing guinea pig/gambling a bit more on two of the sensor versions would be more prudent… Sad
:https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Spotlight-Waterproof-Security-Playground/...

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...

What about a version with a dusk to dawn sensor? I don’t see one (i.e. this same thin 100w model). Also – how cold is the cool white and how warm is the warm white? I’m wondering which one to go with – guessing the cool white.

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
garrybunk wrote:
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
“..so $26 for this on a lark with no research to rely on is a lot of money. I’m just hoping that they pay off..”

…or perhaps playing guinea pig/gambling a bit more on two of the sensor versions would be more prudent… Sad
:https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Spotlight-Waterproof-Security-Playground/...

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...

What about a version with a dusk to dawn sensor? I don’t see one (i.e. this same thin 100w model). Also – how cold is the cool white and how warm is the warm white? I’m wondering which one to go with – guessing the cool white.

-Garry

I would message them on Amazon and report back with their answer. I have no idea what the cool version looks like and have only reported (not very descriptively) on the warmer ones. Very hard for me to describe light when it’s flooded over a large area yet I have always preferred anything but cool to actually work around for any extended amount of time. Security ‘in your face’ lighting? Cool is best imo.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
Freedom wrote:
garrybunk wrote:
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
“..so $26 for this on a lark with no research to rely on is a lot of money. I’m just hoping that they pay off..”

…or perhaps playing guinea pig/gambling a bit more on two of the sensor versions would be more prudent… Sad
:https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Spotlight-Waterproof-Security-Playground/...

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...

What about a version with a dusk to dawn sensor? I don’t see one (i.e. this same thin 100w model). Also – how cold is the cool white and how warm is the warm white? I’m wondering which one to go with – guessing the cool white.

-Garry

I would message them on Amazon and report back with their answer. I have no idea what the cool version looks like and have only reported (not very descriptively) on the warmer ones. Very hard for me to describe light when it’s flooded over a large area yet I have always preferred anything but cool to actually work around for any extended amount of time. Security ‘in your face’ lighting? Cool is best imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...
…I’ve got a question in to them presently to see if (5) of these lights with the motion detectors are the same light as what I have been purchasing above. If so, one would receive (1) extra light, the motion detectors installed and pay (slightly) less. I also inquired as to the differences between the two motion detectors that they offer.

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
garrybunk wrote:
Freedom wrote:
Freedom wrote:
“..so $26 for this on a lark with no research to rely on is a lot of money. I’m just hoping that they pay off..”

…or perhaps playing guinea pig/gambling a bit more on two of the sensor versions would be more prudent… Sad
:https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Spotlight-Waterproof-Security-Playground/...

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...

What about a version with a dusk to dawn sensor? I don’t see one (i.e. this same thin 100w model). Also – how cold is the cool white and how warm is the warm white? I’m wondering which one to go with – guessing the cool white.

-Garry

I would message them on Amazon and report back with their answer. I have no idea what the cool version looks like and have only reported (not very descriptively) on the warmer ones. Very hard for me to describe light when it’s flooded over a large area yet I have always preferred anything but cool to actually work around for any extended amount of time. Security ‘in your face’ lighting? Cool is best imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Missbee-Thinner-Waterproof-Security-2800-3000K/dp...
…I’ve got a question in to them presently to see if (5) of these lights with the motion detectors are the same light as what I have been purchasing above. If so, one would receive (1) extra light, the motion detectors installed and pay (slightly) less. I also inquired as to the differences between the two motion detectors that they offer.

I hope that these answers from the seller (use the order of the links above for reference) are of help to someone else taking the gamble here:
Question 1: The first light (ASIN:B078HGRBH6) is cold white.

The motion sensor is similar, they are up to 50ft / 15meter. But the second light have stronger waterproof than the first light, the second light (ASIN:B078H6WPPK) is IP67 waterproof.

Question 2: Yes, it is the same version with the four lights you ordered, just with no motion sensor.

The difference between these two lights is mainly the difference in appearance.The second lamp has better heat dissipation than the first one, and uses lamp beads
with better heat dissipation.The second lamp is lighter and thinner than the first lamp.

In terms of motion sensors, the difference between the two is small.

Hope my answers will be helpful for you.

Missbee

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6038
Location: Johnstown, PA

When I asked the seller about a version with a dusk to Dawn sensor I was given this answer:

“Yes, it is motion sensor light. If can be truned off by itself.”

So, apparently they didn’t understand and probably don’t sell one.

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques


NOTE: Moving my photos from PhotoBucket to Flickr. PM me or post in the thread if you can’t see my images and need me to fix or send a gallery link. PhotoBucket images should remain visible until November 2018.
Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

garrybunk wrote:
When I asked the seller about a version with a dusk to Dawn sensor I was given this answer:

“Yes, it is motion sensor light. If can be truned off by itself.”

So, apparently they didn’t understand and probably don’t sell one.

-Garry

I am waiting for them to respond to my request for a swap of the (4) lights just purchased for (5) of the same lights with motion sensors for less money. I will send them a link to this post and let’s see what they say…(the last package came out of Jersey).

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

garrybunk wrote:
When I asked the seller about a version with a dusk to Dawn sensor I was given this answer:

“Yes, it is motion sensor light. If can be truned off by itself.”

So, apparently they didn’t understand and probably don’t sell one.

-Garry


https://www.ledlightingwholesaleinc.com/WestGate-Button-Photocontrol-120...
I picked up one of these for my larger light yet have no idea what the quality is. For the price I can afford to add them as an accessory to the motion censored lights (hopefully) and probably end up with a light not readily available and relatively inexpensive (around $30 less the cord and plug).
Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

…it sure would be nice if somebody reported back on one of these. Wink It’s funny to me how a $20 flashlight putting out a fraction of this output garners hundreds of interested(?) buyers…yet several times that ‘wow’ factor (with motion sensor and the evidently coveted ‘warm’ tint) leaves most at …‘meh’. Smile
My take on this hobby has always been: full blown addicts ‘Jonesing’ for more…for less…just give it to me! Ughh

Freedom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 155

Kept the four lights due to my lack of faith in the postal system and the factors surrounding any possible aftermath. Was able to analyze the spill and tint in a more defined space and like it. It won’t light up everything in any immediate surroundings yet the focused portion of the light is pleasing and the form/function has value (imo).

leaftye
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 07/25/2012 - 17:43
Posts: 4209
Location: San Diego, CA

The thread on my floodlight got even fewer views and I took beam shots and FLIR pictures. It’s kind of understandable. I use mine as a worklight, but not very often. It’s too big to use as a yard light, however I might feel different if I had enough human and wildlife intruders, and it’s near enough zilch for both.

The low mode should be lower.

Reviews: Efan IMR18350 700mAh 10.5A, <a href="http://

Pages