Thorfire TK4A go boom... (fixed, resolved!)

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc
Dusty wrote:
Thanks for posting a resolution. I’m glad it was an easy fix. Still doesn’t address the issue.

That’s what’s more disturbing than anything, I think.

Dusty wrote:
I got a SF11 that would turn itself on, and then switch modes all on it’s own. Couldn’t turn it off, without unscrewing the tailcap. Sofirn sent a replacement ASAP, that works fine.

That’s why I’d like to know what’s in/on the driver, whether it could be something that easily gets knocked out of whack.

Dusty wrote:
I was only responding because my wife was putting on her socks this morning, and bumped the table. The SF11 tipped, rolled off the table, and hit her pinky toe. She went to work. When she got home, and took her sock off , BOOM Her whole toe is purple. Stupid me, asked if the light still worked Facepalm

Sorry, but I had to laff at this. LOL

Dusty wrote:
I didn’t say it, but was thinking, you’re lucky it wasn’t the Q8 Big Smile

Or GT. Evil

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

BLightSam
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 days ago
Joined: 11/13/2012 - 03:08
Posts: 1559
Location: USA

Lightbringer wrote:

Started slapping it silly on my palm…
north side, south side, east, west, repeatedly,
Lightbringer wrote:

… or just shaking out the evil spirits,
slapping and shaking is the answer! Big Smile
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc
BLightSam wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Started slapping it silly on my palm… north side, south side, east, west, repeatedly,
Lightbringer wrote:
… or just shaking out the evil spirits,
slapping and shaking is the answer! Big Smile

This should be stickied. Big Smile

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc

Okay, final resolution…

I had a few days left for the Amazon return-window for the light(s), but figured I’d first ask the nice folks at Thorfire directly if they heard of such an issue, and if so, what was the cause, etc. I much much much would rather have a replacement than a refund, or even just access to, say, the driver board if they had any in stock so that I could repair it on my own. I pointed them to this thread, as well.

At first, it was, “We’re so sorry, they’re discontinued, so we can offer you a refund for both the lights in your order”, but I said the other one is safe’n‘sound as far as I know, so only one is at issue. Smile

Anyway, long story short, they gave me a refund on the one light, and said to not worry about sending it back, keep it, use it in good health, etc. Okay, maybe not in those words, but that’s the gist. (Even though I specified pretty clearly that I seemed to get it working again, via slap-therapy). Also, mentioned that if there’s anything else at issue, not to worry, just contact them and they’ll take care of me.

So, again, pretty amazing customer service from Thorfire!

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Dusty
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 07:58
Posts: 387
Location: Left Coast of Michigan

Lightbringer wrote:
Okay, final resolution…

I had a few days left for the Amazon return-window for the light(s), but figured I’d first ask the nice folks at Thorfire directly if they heard of such an issue, and if so, what was the cause, etc. I much much much would rather have a replacement than a refund, or even just access to, say, the driver board if they had any in stock so that I could repair it on my own. I pointed them to this thread, as well.

At first, it was, “We’re so sorry, they’re discontinued, so we can offer you a refund for both the lights in your order”, but I said the other one is safe’n‘sound as far as I know, so only one is at issue. Smile

Anyway, long story short, they gave me a refund on the one light, and said to not worry about sending it back, keep it, use it in good health, etc. Okay, maybe not in those words, but that’s the gist. (Even though I specified pretty clearly that I seemed to get it working again, via slap-therapy). Also, mentioned that if there’s anything else at issue, not to worry, just contact them and they’ll take care of me.

So, again, pretty amazing customer service from Thorfire!

Time to tear it apart Big Smile and solve the mystery

Brianbug

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2148

Actually that sound like they knew the issue. Getting refund too easily in this case.

cool i'll see you when you get there

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc
Dusty wrote:
Time to tear it apart Big Smile and solve the mystery

Wellp, now that it’s technically not in warranty or has any “value” (except to me Big Smile ), there’s nothing to lose, so…

Just need to unsolder the LED to be able to take out the head and see what’s in there. Dunno if it could’ve been a ground connection that broke (rather critical, so everything stops), or maybe a loose plastic flake in the switch itself (falls between the contacts on the tip-over, gets shaken loose after my slap-therapy), or who knows.

But yeah, now that there’s nothing to worry about, I’ll take a peek inside, see if anything obvious jumps out.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc
DENGOH wrote:
Actually that sound like they knew the issue. Getting refund too easily in this case.

Wow, you’re Mr Glass Half-Empty, ain’t ya? Big Smile

Even if so, if a part’s discontinued, I’d rather have someone offer a refund, even “too easily”, than argue with me about it, or insist, “Hey, it works now, so there’s nothing for us to do”.

I was up-front about it, pointed them to this thread and explicitly mentioned that the problem’s fixed (even if I don’t know how/why), and they still were nice enough to offer a refund.

Hey, I’m happy.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Dusty
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 07:58
Posts: 387
Location: Left Coast of Michigan
Lightbringer wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Time to tear it apart Big Smile and solve the mystery

Wellp, now that it’s technically not in warranty or has any “value” (except to me Big Smile ), there’s nothing to lose, so…

Just need to unsolder the LED to be able to take out the head and see what’s in there. Dunno if it could’ve been a ground connection that broke (rather critical, so everything stops), or maybe a loose plastic flake in the switch itself (falls between the contacts on the tip-over, gets shaken loose after my slap-therapy), or who knows.

But yeah, now that there’s nothing to worry about, I’ll take a peek inside, see if anything obvious jumps out.


If you do, could you possibly post a closeup picture of the driver, or specifically the switch board? I’d like to compare it to my Sofirn. I’m pretty sure the switch was bad on mine, but I damaged it trying to touch up the solder. I also damaged the green led, although I have found the Green/red led. Thanks

Brianbug

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc

I’ll give it a shot…

I might have to first redo a review I thought I posted a while back, but doesn’t show here. Thinking maybe when I was ready to post the “final product” I hit [preview] again instead of [send], or something retarded like that. Figures…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2148

I knew Olight had similar way of handling on one of their light too. They knew certain batch of lights having issue, but they would only resend it if user encounter it and report it while under warranty. But they won’t tell user how to repair it, i guessd most probably they don’t think there’s many capable modders, so why bother.
This is just my personal assumption Thorfire knew the issue, not a fact.

cool i'll see you when you get there

Dusty
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 07:58
Posts: 387
Location: Left Coast of Michigan

DENGOH wrote:
I knew Olight had similar way of handling on one of their light too. They knew certain batch of lights having issue, but they would only resend it if user encounter it and report it while under warranty. But they won’t tell user how to repair it, i guessd most probably they don’t think there’s many capable modders, so why bother.
This is just my personal assumption Thorfire knew the issue, not a fact.

Thorfire has been quite forward thinking, as far as I’m concerned. I had an issue with something ( either a battery, charger, or a light. I don’t remember for sure). They replaced it without objection, and had it to me within a few days. That means a lot to someone who only spent a few dollars on one of their products. I like the fact that a company would just send out a replacement, rather than get in the weeds about proving your complaint. It speaks well of Thorfire, and Sofirn. They are the young guns in this business, but seem to be highly interested in this forum. It should only work well for them, and their business.

Brianbug

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2148

Looks like Thorfire customer service is very good for quite some members here. Thumbs Up

cool i'll see you when you get there

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc
DENGOH wrote:
Looks like Thorfire customer service is very good for quite some members here. Thumbs Up

Don’t forget the VG10 issues. The supply chain probably screwed up the reflectors, sending ones that were a tad too short, and to get the product out the door, they shimmed the LED with a coupla spacers so that it’d be flush up against the reflector. Yeah, it probably upset the thermal path a little bit, but unless you were gonna really push the Hell out of the LED, it would be fine.

Just their luck, people opened up their lights, saw the spacers, and were horrified. Mine’s still working just fine, never overheated. In fact, dunno if anyone’s VG10 actually did overheat, or if it were just the threat of overheating that gave everyone aneurysms.

Anyway, TF offered full refunds to anyone’n‘everyone who bought an affected VG10, every penny, no questions asked, and keep the lights.

I was going to point out a counterexample from a different manufacturer, where a documented problem would twist LEDs right off the board, and getting replacements/fixes was like proverbially pulling teeth.

Like I said, I’ll never hesitate buying or recommending a TF light. The lights are solid, and even if one has an issue, their customer-service is phenomenal.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2148

When you say TF it actually reminds me of Trustfire. Big Smile

cool i'll see you when you get there

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 1767
Location: dayton oh

you have been reported to flashlight protective services.
shaken flashlight syndrome is a serious matter even if it restores life.

Lightbringer wrote:
BLightSam wrote:
After reading about the Lightbringer’s Go Boom story, holding the flashlight body in the right hand the head was lightly, gently tapped against the left open palm. When switch was pressed, no light even the switch. Got weird operations when pressed long, short, double. Opened and check the battery – all 1.46v. Put them back in, now get red switch light to boot and would not turn on except light flash. Thought I ruined it. Put fresh batteries in normal operation returned.

Changed to the old batteries and got back the normal operation, to my great relief. Hope somebody get some theory on what the cause is when Go Boom.

Son… of… a… beeyotch.

That worked!

Brand new cells in, snug up everything, press button… nothing. Wellp, what’ve I got to lose? Started slapping it silly on my palm… north side, south side, east, west, repeatedly, then all of a sudden… let there be light!

I’m going through the cycles, it goes through all 4 just fine, turns off, turns back on, more cycles, doubleclick for strobe, back, on, off, etc. Seems to be back to its old “normal” self.

 

Now to go ice my palm…

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 8887
Location: nyc

Wellp, it still happens on (rare) occasion, but now that I know how to wake it up, I’m good.

Probably something loose/intermittent. I had to unload it, because I was racking up too many half-spent alkaleaks and I wasn’t burning ‘em off fast enough in my 1×AA lights. When I start winnowing down that new supply, I’ll go back to feeding the ’4A.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pages