Harbor freight spotlight mod help

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chevyguy86350
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2018 - 11:24
Posts: 7
Location: United States
Harbor freight spotlight mod help

Hi I have 2 identical harbor freight spotlights one I put Cree xp-e2 red in and works great second one I put in Cree xp-e red and all it does is turn on for a second I test with other leds and it stays on what could be the problem?

mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 409
Location: Earth

Why would you MOD anything from Harbor Freight? I regret buying cheap tools from them. I learned my lesson. Total waste of money and JUNK.

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 670
Location: South Carolina

Forward voltage range may be incompatible with your driver if the light has one.
Without knowing what powers the light, it is possible that voltage drops below the forward voltage as soon as current is drawn by the led, which explains why you get a brief flash then no more. Maybe your other leds have lower forward voltages.

Way too many variables without knowing more about the light, how it is powered, what the driver is, etc.

Chevyguy86350
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2018 - 11:24
Posts: 7
Location: United States

mmalive wrote:
Why would you MOD anything from Harbor Freight? I regret buying cheap tools from them. I learned my lesson. Total waste of money and JUNK.

It was cheap and something to tinker with i use it for 4 hrs everytime I go hunting 3 to 4 nights a week
Chevyguy86350
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2018 - 11:24
Posts: 7
Location: United States

Angler wrote:
Forward voltage range may be incompatible with your driver if the light has one.
Without knowing what powers the light, it is possible that voltage drops below the forward voltage as soon as current is drawn by the led, which explains why you get a brief flash then no more. Maybe your other leds have lower forward voltages.

Way too many variables without knowing more about the light, how it is powered, what the driver is, etc.

It probably is the xp-e takes more power to drive than xp-e2
mmalive
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:56
Posts: 409
Location: Earth
Chevyguy86350 wrote:
mmalive wrote:
Why would you MOD anything from Harbor Freight? I regret buying cheap tools from them. I learned my lesson. Total waste of money and JUNK.
It was cheap and something to tinker with i use it for 4 hrs everytime I go hunting 3 to 4 nights a week

Understandable. But would you trust your life if you needed solid light? My point is Harbor Freight Tools are JUNK. Cheaply made. To the average Joe Harbor Freight is good quality. Mechanics, avid do it craftman know Harbor Freight crappy quality.

I was just curious about why you wanted to modify? best of luck.

Chevyguy86350
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2018 - 11:24
Posts: 7
Location: United States
mmalive wrote:
Chevyguy86350 wrote:
mmalive wrote:
Why would you MOD anything from Harbor Freight? I regret buying cheap tools from them. I learned my lesson. Total waste of money and JUNK.
It was cheap and something to tinker with i use it for 4 hrs everytime I go hunting 3 to 4 nights a week

Understandable. But would you trust your life if you needed solid light? My point is Harbor Freight Tools are JUNK. Cheaply made. To the average Joe Harbor Freight is good quality. Mechanics, avid do it craftman know Harbor Freight crappy quality.

I was just curious about why you wanted to modify? best of luck.

12 bucks for spotlight 5 bucks for portable 6000mah power bank and 4 bucks for free Cree xp-e2 red i have equivalent to a 300 dollar hunting spotlight I was just asking a simple question not your opinion on the quality of tools if you like overpaying for things more power to you
Dman7777
Dman7777's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/02/2017 - 11:50
Posts: 97
Location: United States

There are certainly good things and bad things to buy at harbor freight. But you are on a flashlight forum, so we could definitly find you a much better light for around $20 which will be more durable and more effective (about 5x as many lumens) than modifying a harbor freight light. We definitively are not overpaying for lights on the budget side of things and the lights we recommend are verified to kick ass.

 

Oh yeah, and for $300......you can light up villages  

https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2017/07/28/...

tekwyzrd
tekwyzrd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 11/14/2015 - 01:15
Posts: 1079
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Dman7777 wrote:

There are certainly good things and bad things to buy at harbor freight. But you are on a flashlight forum, so we could definitly find you a much better light for around $20 which will be more durable and more effective (about 5x as many lumens) than modifying a harbor freight light. We definitively are not overpaying for lights on the budget side of things and the lights we recommend are verified to kick ass.


 


Oh yeah, and for $300……you can light up villages  


https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2017/07/28/...

The linked photo looks staged. Shady marketing tactics. Based on the direction the light is pointed there would be no way for the grass to the right of the person holding it to be illuminated to that degree. I will be avoiding that company’s products.

Chevyguy86350
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2018 - 11:24
Posts: 7
Location: United States

Dman7777 wrote:

There are certainly good things and bad things to buy at harbor freight. But you are on a flashlight forum, so we could definitly find you a much better light for around $20 which will be more durable and more effective (about 5x as many lumens) than modifying a harbor freight light. We definitively are not overpaying for lights on the budget side of things and the lights we recommend are verified to kick ass.


 


Oh yeah, and for $300……you can light up villages  


https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2017/07/28/...

I don’t disagree there’s some sub par items there but my modded light is just as bright as a 200 dollar foxpro. Im talking about red lights and I don’t use it to light up a whole field I need a tight long throwing beam, red filters block close to 70% light transmission.
Chevyguy86350
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/2018 - 11:24
Posts: 7
Location: United States
tekwyzrd wrote:
Dman7777 wrote:

There are certainly good things and bad things to buy at harbor freight. But you are on a flashlight forum, so we could definitly find you a much better light for around $20 which will be more durable and more effective (about 5x as many lumens) than modifying a harbor freight light. We definitively are not overpaying for lights on the budget side of things and the lights we recommend are verified to kick ass.


 


Oh yeah, and for $300……you can light up villages  


https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2017/07/28/...

The linked photo looks staged. Shady marketing tactics. Based on the direction the light is pointed there would be no way for the grass to the right of the person holding it to be illuminated to that degree. I will be avoiding that company’s products.

you think the Chinese could do a better Photoshop lol
snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 1719
Location: dayton oh

if the led vf is what is tripping it just put 1 or 2 1n400x diodes in series with the led.
each drops about .7 v.
if 1 is not enough try 2 in series.

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 1719
Location: dayton oh

the op asked for a possible solution.
not to get berated for buying it.
btw that same light is sold on tool trucks with a huge markup.
this is a case where buying it at hf is a good thing.

mmalive wrote:
Why would you MOD anything from Harbor Freight? I regret buying cheap tools from them. I learned my lesson. Total waste of money and JUNK.
thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 56 sec ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1194
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

mmalive wrote:
Why would you MOD anything from Harbor Freight? I regret buying cheap tools from them. I learned my lesson. Total waste of money and JUNK.

You do know that this forum is build on guys that to these type of things??

Back in the day it was common to buy those cheap things and mod them into great lights. Wink