[2018-02-01] Tor connections to BLF will be blocked

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slayer1
Slayer1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2016 - 02:59
Posts: 211
Location: Singapore

Blocking tor is okay with me.

Persechini
Persechini's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2017 - 03:32
Posts: 503
Location: Brasil

I remember Simon from convoy once mentioned while answering to a question I made that he has trouble accessing blf, so I guess that is the only case I can think of that will affect the forum, people from China, representatives of the companies that interact with the users, etc

In my Tree

My collectionEmisar: D4 / D1 / D4 (broken) ― Convoy: C8 Clear / S2+ Clear / S2+ / S2+ UV / S6 ― Nitecore: Tube / Thumb / Concept 1 / HC30 / HC33 / TIP / TIP CRI / TINI ― Lumintop: Tool AAA / Tool AA / HLAAA / EDC05 ― Sofirn: SF10 / SF12 / SF12 / SF14 / SF14 / SF14 / SP10A / SP10A (gifted) ― Jaxman: E3 ― UTorch: UT01 ― Trustfire: Z2 ― Skyfire: SF-065 (trashed)

gi.lumens
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 hour ago
Joined: 09/23/2016 - 23:02
Posts: 337
Location: California

Get some feedback from our Chinese compatriots first they are the ones dealing with a national firewall. If they do access BLF through TOR you would be hard pressed to shut them out. Dammed if you do Dammed if you dont. Normal users dont need to hide behind TOR when accessing a flashlight site… JUST SAYING

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5688
Location: nyc
hIKARInoob wrote:
I consider myself a complete computer noob, but Tor is related to torrent or not? Pirate bay… Illegal downloads and stuff. You cannot be traced, because the data traffic goes via thousands of different IP addresses… Or something. I’m just free styling here, but is sort of my understanding of Tor.

Actually, quite the opposite. TOR is NOT recommended for torrents. In fact, it’s actively discouraged.

Too much traffic bouncing back’n‘forth for each little packet, and each little packet bounces through several layers (servers, etc.) to really scramble someone’s tracks. All that activity is almost as bad as trying to watch a video over TOR.

Plus, there are security holes doing so, and you bug everyone else on TOR. See https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en and especially item b.

The Truly Suave™ can get by just fine with a VPN.

Hell, even NordVPN was advertising on teevee commercials here.

Anyhoo, banning TOR likely won’t stop that kind of jackassery that was going on. They may just get clued in and use a VPN instead.

But if it’s just one or two chimps doing so, hey, anything to keep the animals in their cages can be a Good Thing.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 677
Location: South Carolina
sb56637 wrote:
I believe that most Chinese users usually use VPNs and not Tor

This is my understanding also.

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3402

I find it amazing that people would go to that extend to troll in this forum… You might think that using VPN or switching to mobile data would be enough… but TOR?

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 3764
Location: Texas

Put down the hammer SB!

ryansoh3
ryansoh3's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/04/2012 - 08:21
Posts: 3876
Location: US

Blocking Tor is okay with me, but I don’t think it’ll stop trolls from using VPNs.

BLF ≠ B-grade Flashlight Forum

 

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5688
Location: nyc

AlexGT wrote:
Put down the hammer SB!

Put down the keyboard, Jan!

 
JAN HAMMER

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5489
Location: Long Island, New York

I use a VPN. I have to disable it when I want to stream videos on Netflix. I’d be happy to disable it here as well.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6190
Location: The Light
atbglenn wrote:
I use a VPN. I have to disable it when I want to stream videos on Netflix. I’d be happy to disable it here as well.

Thanks for the reply Glenn. For now I’m only considering the possibility of blocking Tor, not VPNs.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5489
Location: Long Island, New York
sb56637 wrote:
atbglenn wrote:
I use a VPN. I have to disable it when I want to stream videos on Netflix. I’d be happy to disable it here as well.

Thanks for the reply Glenn. For now I’m only considering the possibility of blocking Tor, not VPNs.

If it comes down to blocking VPN’s, I have no problem doing it. Netflix does. I’m sure other websites do it as well.

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 24 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 2911
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Netflix you can get around easily. People here buy the USA Netflix accounts and use a VPN to stream so they get better movies lol. Also works with Stan and HBO.
I some times use a VPN but I usually game at home and it throws of my ping.

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 946
Location: mid USA left coast

VPNs are useful for many reasons…

I once got a DMCA notice from my ISP that I had DLed a video (no named vid, just a nebulous accusation without substance)
and they said I could contact the accuser for more info, butt that would expose me to more scrutiny and possible remuneration charges.

Well, WTF, no wonder ppl use anonymizers to protect themselves from splattergun tactics with no evidence or details.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5688
Location: nyc
atbglenn wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
atbglenn wrote:
I use a VPN. I have to disable it when I want to stream videos on Netflix. I’d be happy to disable it here as well.

Thanks for the reply Glenn. For now I’m only considering the possibility of blocking Tor, not VPNs.

If it comes down to blocking VPN’s, I have no problem doing it. Netflix does. I’m sure other websites do it as well.

Nah, that’s now getting into the realm of silly. Baby and bathwater…

There’s no way to tell if certain traffic in itself is coming through a VPN. The only way to tell is by knowing which blocks of IP addies are associated with a particular VPN, and blocking them. It’s just a big game of whack-a-mole.

Netflix and Hulu are doing it for $$$. People in countries where NF/H doesn’t offer much, just want to watch <insert name of popular show> like the rest of the world does.

So as soon as they blacklist one block of IPAs, the VPN will rotate its shield harmonics with new IPAs and then the cycle restarts.

But then there are corporate VPNs which are… “rented”?… from 3rd-party VPN providers. Block them, and you could be blocking lots of legitimate users. I once had to block akamai in toto for lots of nasty nasty things they were hosting (spammers, beacons, malware, you name it), but legitimate companies like Crutchfield were using akamai as a hosting service, so their website came out like garbage (no pix, no CSS, nothing). I had to try to selectively distinguish between good and bad akamai stuff. To this day, their name still skeeves me.

Anyway, unless wholesale slashing’n‘burning becomes absolutely necessary, I doubt blocking VPNs would be a solution.

Build a 12’ wall, and someone’ll just build a 13’ ladder. (just know first how many legit users that wall will keep out.)

Here ya go… https://www.howtogeek.com/239616/how-to-watch-netflix-hulu-and-more-thro...

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1751
Location: Alameda, CA

Were are behind you SB!

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5688
Location: nyc

chinooker wrote:
VPNs are useful for many reasons…

I once got a DMCA notice from my ISP that I had DLed a video (no named vid, just a nebulous accusation without substance) and they said I could contact the accuser for more info, butt that would expose me to more scrutiny and possible remuneration charges.

Well, WTF, no wonder ppl use anonymizers to protect themselves from splattergun tactics with no evidence or details.

Yep, just shut up, implicitly admit guilt (“silence equals consent”), or protest and paint a big bullseye on your back.

Actually, I got like 5-6 of those, for a chick-flick, stand-up comedy, other stuff I never even heard of. So even with details, it ain’t much better.

And these accusations come sometimes months after the purported offense, when you can’t possibly remember that you were out that weekend, had your ‘puter in pieces upgrading the cpu, etc.

So unless someone took the 20min to crack my wifi password, everything I do goes through the vpn, just in case.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1191
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

i’m in asia( SEA), and im cool with not using TOR

Forgot my pen

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 24 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 2911
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Lightbringer wrote:
chinooker wrote:
VPNs are useful for many reasons…

I once got a DMCA notice from my ISP that I had DLed a video (no named vid, just a nebulous accusation without substance) and they said I could contact the accuser for more info, butt that would expose me to more scrutiny and possible remuneration charges.

Well, WTF, no wonder ppl use anonymizers to protect themselves from splattergun tactics with no evidence or details.

Yep, just shut up, implicitly admit guilt (“silence equals consent”), or protest and paint a big bullseye on your back.

Actually, I got like 5-6 of those, for a chick-flick, stand-up comedy, other stuff I never even heard of. So even with details, it ain’t much better.

And these accusations come sometimes months after the purported offense, when you can’t possibly remember that you were out that weekend, had your ‘puter in pieces upgrading the cpu, etc.

So unless someone took the 20min to crack my wifi password, everything I do goes through the vpn, just in case.

My house has had like 6 of those letters. Thus we got a VPN.

Best excuse is. Some one was stealing your WiFi they cant prove it isn’t true.

Yea Aussie netflix is crap! lol

Mr.Scott
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2016 - 00:26
Posts: 604

Lightbringer wrote:

Build a 12’ wall, and someone’ll just build a 13’ ladder.

Can I quote you. Smile

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5688
Location: nyc
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
Best excuse is. Some one was stealing your WiFi they cant prove it isn’t true.

One word: Reaver.

Even script kiddies can do it.

Your wifi is there, stationary, ain’t going anywhere. Whether it’s a creepy neighbor kid wanting to grab pr0n without mommy and daddy finding out, or someone who’s wardriving and wanting to stick someone else with the blame for grabbing movies/music off the web, all it takes is to break the password once, and then you might as not even have one.

When you have multiple devices (laptops, tablets, phones) all connecting to your wifi, it’s a big pain in the ass to change the password on each and every one of them, let alone on a regular basis. So you don’t. Even once per month, an annoyance to you, is no big deal for someone to just park and run Reaver for a while, or a close enough neighbor to just run it overnight in comfort. And then it’s open-season once again. And you often can’t even tell if someone hacques in successfully, until a month or two after, when you get yet another nastygram in your inbox.

So it’s not just an “excuse”, it’s quite legit in many cases.

So, ironically, a good “defense” might very well be, “Hey, I got a vpn with max-level encryption, the dead-man switch enabled, ZERO traffic going in or out except through the vpn, so if someone thinks an illegally-DLed movie came to my account, IT AIN’T BY ME!”.

So vpns have very legit uses.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 5688
Location: nyc
Mr.Scott wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Build a 12’ wall, and someone’ll just build a 13’ ladder.

Can I quote you. Smile

Ummm, you just did, no? Big Smile

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5048
Location: H-Town

atbglenn wrote:
I use a VPN. I have to disable it when I want to stream videos on Netflix. I’d be happy to disable it here as well.

I have a TOR Relay and OpenVPN install on a RPi B (w/ 512mb RAM)
Soon to be upgrading to and Orange Pi Zero (quad core, 512mb RAM)

I stream netflix no problem thru my VPN

What I want to do is create an “open wifi” but QoS restrict it down to say 1Mb (mega bit) each way…then use IP Tables to route all traffic from that router thru the TOR network…this way they can browse all they want and anything they do nefarious won’t come back to me…
more or less make it more enticing to jump on an open network and leave my encrypted stuff alone

If people are using TOR to attack/troll the forum…shut em down

Andrew_Debbie
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 11/18/2017 - 12:36
Posts: 352
Location: Isle Of Anglesey
hIKARInoob wrote:
I consider myself a complete computer noob, but Tor is related to torrent or not?

No it is a system to hide where you are connecting from. Tor is an acronym for The Onion Router.

Agro
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 2602
Location: Ślōnsk

I wouldn’t be happy to see it blocked. But at the same time I wouldn’t oppose strongly because I don’t use it here.

Andrew_Debbie
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 11/18/2017 - 12:36
Posts: 352
Location: Isle Of Anglesey

WarHawk-AVG][quote=atbglenn wrote:

If people are using TOR to attack/troll the forum…shut em down

+1

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 2109
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

If it is a small surgery, but a great cure, go right ahead with it.

I always think long and hard before I say something really stupid.

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2009
Location: Sweden

will34 wrote:
I find it amazing that people would go to that extend to troll in this forum… You might think that using VPN or switching to mobile data would be enough… but TOR?

They aren’t going to any extent at all. Tor is exactly as easy to use as any other web browser.
Billy X
Billy X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 05:50
Posts: 556
Location: South of France

Blocking Tor sounds like the least worst option.I have NordVPN but am too lazy to use it most of the time.I have to dissactivate it to visit Banggood.

Tender
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 02:26
Posts: 138
Location: NY, NY

I love where discussion is going. Lot’s of good tech talk, knowledge, and advice.

(Altruist consideration)
SB, how many instances were there of trolling via TOR? You could be blocking a segment of people who come here for information but aren’t signed up as members – (I lurked for a while before I signed up [not using TOR]). Perhaps it be worthwhile to parse the good from the bad (TOR) general traffic just not to shut people out.

(Business consideration)
Another way to look at it: Yes there is problematic traffic. But, you have ad space, which are click/site traffic dependent (that’s an assumption). How much headache/work hours are you saving for the loss of potential click/traffic revenue?! Therefore, you may want to analyze you overall traffic to find that out.

"Keep On Luxing" © and "May The Lumin Be With You" © (by my very self)

Pages