The There Are No Stupid Questions Thread

583 posts / 0 new
Last post
The_Fat_Controller
The_Fat_Controller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2019 - 07:34
Posts: 207
Location: England
moderator007 wrote:
Does anyone really think we are alone here on earth, there are a estimated (possible) 100 billion solar systems out there. Is it naive of us to think that earth is the only one that got it right for life.

While its entirely possible , likely even that other life exists out there, it is also equally possible we really are the only ones , so not naive sadly

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas
The_Fat_Controller wrote:
moderator007 wrote:
Does anyone really think we are alone here on earth, there are a estimated (possible) 100 billion solar systems out there. Is it naive of us to think that earth is the only one that got it right for life.

While its entirely possible , likely even that other life exists out there, it is also equally possible we really are the only ones, so not naive sadly.


I disagree. Once people understand just how vast space is, our nearest star is like 4 something light years away, and you factor in that Earth has only been transmitting signals about 100 years, you realize those signals have only reached a handful of nearby stars. I’m pretty sure life is out there, but they not only need to be within this super short distance to even know we exist, but also in this tiny sweet spot of time in their civilization where they are intelligent, but not nuked themselves back to the stone age yet. This might be a few 100 years within hundreds of millions of years. So if this super rare synchronization happens, they still need to have faster than light travel just to get here. So the odds of any two civilizations actually meeting are much, much lower than there being multiple civilizations out there. More than likely we would be the aliens finding “life” out there in the form of bacteria or maybe animals.

To sum it up, odds are quite good for life out there. There could be millions of planets with life and some of which are complex and maybe intelligent.
The odds of us or any of them coming into contact, almost non existant. The distances are just too far.

Star Trek is cool in that it looks like we could find other groups, but the reality is that even at just under Warp 10, about 6000 times the speed of light, the Enterprise would take years to travel the super long distances, even decades or centuries. This would not make good television, so they have to shorten the distances and times dramatically. We can’t even travel within a fraction of Warp 1, speed of light, much less many times faster. Practically speaking, we’d need to go much, much faster than these Warp drives. Space is seriously way bigger than we can wrap our heads around. (All my opinion)

This is a fun thread. Party

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9705
Location: nyc

And of course we got SETI ringing the dinner-bell for any hungry species out there, too.

“It’s a cookbook! It’s a cookbook!”

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

The_Fat_Controller
The_Fat_Controller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2019 - 07:34
Posts: 207
Location: England
JasonWW wrote:
The_Fat_Controller wrote:
moderator007 wrote:
Does anyone really think we are alone here on earth, there are a estimated (possible) 100 billion solar systems out there. Is it naive of us to think that earth is the only one that got it right for life.

While its entirely possible , likely even that other life exists out there, it is also equally possible we really are the only ones, so not naive sadly.


I disagree. Once people understand just how vast space is, our nearest star is like 4 something light years away, and you factor in that Earth has only been transmitting signals about 100 years, you realize those signals have only reached a handful of nearby stars. I’m pretty sure life is out there, but they not only need to be within this super short distance to even know we exist, but also in this tiny sweet spot of time in their civilization where they are intelligent, but not nuked themselves back to the stone age yet. This might be a few 100 years within hundreds of millions of years. So if this super rare synchronization happens, they still need to have faster than light travel just to get here. So the odds of any two civilizations actually meeting are much, much lower than there being multiple civilizations out there. More than likely we would be the aliens finding “life” out there in the form of bacteria or maybe animals.

To sum it up, odds are quite good for life out there. There could be millions of planets with life and some of which are complex and maybe intelligent.
The odds of us or any of them coming into contact, almost non existant. The distances are just too far.

Star Trek is cool in that it looks like we could find other groups, but the reality is that even at just under Warp 10, about 6000 times the speed of light, the Enterprise would take years to travel the super long distances, even decades or centuries. This would not make good television, so they have to shorten the distances and times dramatically. We can’t even travel within a fraction of Warp 1, speed of light, much less many times faster. Practically speaking, we’d need to go much, much faster than these Warp drives. Space is seriously way bigger than we can wrap our heads around. (All my opinion)

This is a fun thread. Party

While I am fully familiar with the drake equation and the Fermi paradox , the fact remains it’s only a theory to make an assumption without evidence and draw a conclusion is not scientific, it is equally possible we are such an extreme fluke we are the only ones in the entire universe , sadly neither theory is proven , there is no right or wrong answer here we simply have to acknowledge both possibilities and remain neutral until evidence exists.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

Lightbringer wrote:
And of course we got SETI ringing the dinner-bell for any hungry species out there, too.

“It’s a cookbook! It’s a cookbook!”


Radio signals travel way too slow, speed of light, to really go very far. Plus SETI is so new. Our early 20th century transmissions have gone much, much further. If we limit ourselves to there being intelligent life in our own galaxy, it could take 100,000 years for the signals to reach them and the same time for them to respond. We’d be gone and buried.

Maybe we will figure out communication like in Star Trek where it is through “sub space” and almost instantaneous. This would make things interesting. A bunch of aliens all talking on this shared “party line”. Travel would still be impossible, but maybe we will figure out how to make space/time our b!tch and just blink from one side of the universe to the other. Ah, sci-fi is cool.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

The_Fat_Controller wrote:

While I am fully familiar with the drake equation and the Fermi paradox, the fact remains it’s only a theory to make an assumption without evidence and draw a conclusion is not scientific, it is equally possible we are such an extreme fluke we are the only ones in the entire universe, sadly neither theory is proven, there is no right or wrong answer here we simply have to acknowledge both possibilities and remain neutral until evidence exists.


Nah, we can have fun and theorize. Big Smile

The building blocks of Earth life are all based on super common elements. There is nothing rare about our chemical makeup. With hundreds of billions of possible planets out there I think it is hubris (or maybe religion?) that we would even think we are such special beings.

1 in a hundred billion is pretty small, huh? Maybe some folks want to feel special? I don’t think we are so special. There has to be other organisms out there. The statistical odds for other organisms is just too great. We will probably never find evidence due to the vast distances involved, so I just go by the odds.

Remember that I’m just talking about the odds of life being out there. I’m not talking about intelligent life that can hear us, communicate and maybe travel to us (Drake Equation). The odds of that are crazy, crazy smaller.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

The_Fat_Controller
The_Fat_Controller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 09/13/2019 - 07:34
Posts: 207
Location: England

JasonWW wrote:

Nah, we can have fun and theorize. Big Smile

The building blocks of Earth life are all based on super common elements. There is nothing rare about our chemical makeup. With hundreds of billions of possible planets out there I think it is hubris (or maybe religion?) that we would even think we are such special beings.

1 in a hundred billion is pretty small, huh? Maybe some folks want to feel special? I don’t think we are so special. There has to be other organisms out there. The statistical odds for other organisms is just too great. We will probably never find evidence due to the vast distances involved, so I just go by the odds.

Remember that I’m just talking about the odds of life being out there. I’m not talking about intelligent life that can hear us, communicate and maybe travel to us (Drake Equation). The odds of that are crazy, crazy smaller.

The building blocks are common but despite the many thousands of experiments attempted to explain the mechanism where by inanimate matter elements and compounds spontaneously create life has never been replicated or explained see miller experiment fact is we don’t know how life starts or what it takes we just have a Theory, it would be another assumption to believe just because other planets have the same elements it will happen.

We cannot form an assumption based only on a theory that isn’t how science works, that is the very definition of Pseudoscience. it has nothing to do with people wanting to feel special… (well maybe some do) but most people would prefer there to be life out there besides us but we don’t have any evidence at all to support that idea

Yes if we find one single life form or one piece of evidence to confirm it else where , even if its just an amoeba then the drake equation is confirmed and becomes Fact if we can demonstrate how life begins with the same common elements & conditions here then again the Drake equation becomes Fact, unfortunately without either we do sadly have to acknowledge that we could literally be alone.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

Most people don’t take aliens too seriously. It is fun to believe. No need for sadness. Party

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9705
Location: nyc
JasonWW wrote:
Remember that I’m just talking about the odds of life being out there. I’m not talking about intelligent life that can hear us, communicate and maybe travel to us (Drake Equation). The odds of that are crazy, crazy smaller.

Yep. It doesn’t have to be intelligent or sophisticated. Just a handful of amino acids can be the basis for some virus a la the Andromeda Strain. One little whiff from space-dust, and all life here gets wiped out as it spreads and mutates.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7155
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

slmjim wrote:

Why are there no protected flat top 18650's?

 

slmjim

  

 

Tenergy made flat top protected cells ...

  

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Helios azimuth
Online
Last seen: 4 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 111
Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains

If someone knows how to put a wrist strap on their light are they a modder, or do they have to actually put one on to qualify?

mitsuki08
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 03/08/2019 - 05:36
Posts: 129
Location: Currently following the light

If you use a 30q on a light with a FET driver on turbo. Does that mean it will pull 15A since a 30q is rated an 15A?

CRX
CRX's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3810
Location: Scotland

Helios azimuth wrote:
If someone knows how to put a wrist strap on their light are they a modder, or do they have to actually put one on to qualify?

I know how to make babies, does that make me a father, or do I need an actual child to qualify? Big Smile
Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1939
Location: Netherlands
mitsuki08 wrote:
If you use a 30q on a light with a FET driver on turbo. Does that mean it will pull 15A since a 30q is rated an 15A?

No

The cell is able to deliver 15A

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 2938
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)
CRX wrote:
Helios azimuth wrote:
If someone knows how to put a wrist strap on their light are they a modder, or do they have to actually put one on to qualify?
I know how to make babies, does that make me a father, or do I need an actual child to qualify? Big Smile

Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a daddy Silly

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

CRX
CRX's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3810
Location: Scotland
Big Smile
Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 696
Location: Ohio, United States
Yokiamy wrote:
mitsuki08 wrote:
If you use a 30q on a light with a FET driver on turbo. Does that mean it will pull 15A since a 30q is rated an 15A?

No

The cell is able to deliver 15A


To expand on this:
The cell is rated for 15A current draw. In theory, it can provide roughly 15A from full to empty without overheating. In practice, refer to HKJ’s tests.
What a light will actually draw from a cell depends. With “direct drive”, the actual power output is an intersection of the battery’s voltage vs. current curve and the voltage vs. current curve from the flashlight’s entire system (LED, driver, springs, contact resistances, etc.). So if you put a higher forward-voltage LED in a flashlight (XM-L2, for example) and a FET driver, you won’t get a ton of current. If you put the lowest Vf LED you can find, like a Luxon V or White Flat 2mm^2, and a very good battery, you could risk burning out the emitter from pulling too many amps! And if you put a bad battery, it would be risky because you could exceed the battery’s rating and/or where it’s been tested to perform safely (not always the same thing).

EDC Rotation: ZL SC62 | Jaxman E2L XP-G2 5A | Purple S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A | D4 w/ Luxeon V | RRT-01 
EagTac D25C Ti | DQG Slim AA Ti | UF-T1 by CRX | Olight S1 | Klarus Mini One Ti
L6 XHP70.2 P2 4000K FET+7135 | Jaxman M8 | MF02 | Jaxman Z1 CULNM1.TG | Blue S2+ w/ ML Special
In-progress: Supfire M6 3xXHP50.2 
Others: Nitecore EC23 | Nebo Twyst | Streamlight ProTac 1AA | TerraLux LightStar 100

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

mitsuki08 wrote:
If you use a 30q on a light with a FET driver on turbo. Does that mean it will pull 15A since a 30q is rated an 15A?

I think this has been answered, but I will go into more detail on battery ratings.

All batteries should have factory ratings. Besides continuous discharge there are charge rates for battery life, charge rates with reduced life, operating temperatures, storage temperatures and on and on. It’s pretty interesting to read factory battery specifications. I keep a lot of them in PDF form on my phone for quick reference. Here is the 30Q link.

The 15A 30Q rating is max continuous output without the cell going over its max rated surface temperature. Typical battery temperature upper limits are 60°C to 85°C. (High capacity cells tend to be on the lower side of this temp range and high drain cells tend to be on the higher temp side, generally speaking) The 30Q is in the middle at 75°C. These load tests take a lot of time to perform and really stress the cell so they are usually done in increments of 5A. HKJ and Mooch will test and record the output and temperature curve.

In HKJ’s test the 30Q made it from 4.2v to 2.8v without exceeding the 75°C temperature limit (71°C). It made it down to 3.15v at 20A before he stopped the test due to its temperature reaching 75°C.

Mooch tested the cell all the way down to 2.8v at 20A and 25A. His 15A test also recorded a temperature of 71°C. At 20A it got to 83°C and 25A got to 96°C. So it survived, didn’t burst in flames or anything, just got really hot. It can do these higher amps, but it’s not recommended as eventually it damages the cell and can be dangerous.

So you see there are a lot of variables in testing. We could probably say the 30Q should be rated at 16A as it would still stay under 75°C. 15A is good enough.

Some rewrap companies may list a 30Q with a max continuous current of 25A, because it really can do 25A, but they will put “up to 75°C” in the fine print. Some folks miss the fine print or maybe don’t understand it and just assume this is a better battery. You have to watch out for companies doing this. Find out what cell is under the wrapper and then find the specs for that cell.

A 30Q might even be able to do 40A for 5 seconds or something like that. Shorter durations can allow higher amps. Sometimes the factory will give these rating for 5, 10, 20 or 30 second bursts. I can’t remember what cells I saw these specs in, but they were factory specs.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

BOO5TED
BOO5TED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 04/16/2019 - 20:53
Posts: 258
Location: ATL
Henk4U2 wrote:
CRX wrote:
I know how to make babies, does that make me a father, or do I need an actual child to qualify? Big Smile

Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a daddy Silly

I see it the other way, any man can be a daddy but it takes a man to be a father. A “father figure” is responsible for raising and providing care and safety for a child, a “daddy” is just responsible for getting someone pregnant.

"America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

 

mitsuki08
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 03/08/2019 - 05:36
Posts: 129
Location: Currently following the light
Scallywag wrote:
Yokiamy wrote:
mitsuki08 wrote:
If you use a 30q on a light with a FET driver on turbo. Does that mean it will pull 15A since a 30q is rated an 15A?

No

The cell is able to deliver 15A


To expand on this:
The cell is rated for 15A current draw. In theory, it can provide roughly 15A from full to empty without overheating. In practice, refer to HKJ’s tests.
What a light will actually draw from a cell depends. With “direct drive”, the actual power output is an intersection of the battery’s voltage vs. current curve and the voltage vs. current curve from the flashlight’s entire system (LED, driver, springs, contact resistances, etc.). So if you put a higher forward-voltage LED in a flashlight (XM-L2, for example) and a FET driver, you won’t get a ton of current. If you put the lowest Vf LED you can find, like a Luxon V or White Flat 2mm^2, and a very good battery, you could risk burning out the emitter from pulling too many amps! And if you put a bad battery, it would be risky because you could exceed the battery’s rating and/or where it’s been tested to perform safely (not always the same thing).

Thanks for the explanation Scallywag! Sadly I still don’t understand most of what you said as I’m having a hard time understanding the engineering side of what goes on here. Hopefully soon I can. But I still got the answer to my question regardless! Party

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas
mitsuki08 wrote:
Scallywag wrote:
Yokiamy wrote:
mitsuki08 wrote:
If you use a 30q on a light with a FET driver on turbo. Does that mean it will pull 15A since a 30q is rated an 15A?

No

The cell is able to deliver 15A


To expand on this:
The cell is rated for 15A current draw. In theory, it can provide roughly 15A from full to empty without overheating. In practice, refer to HKJ’s tests.
What a light will actually draw from a cell depends. With “direct drive”, the actual power output is an intersection of the battery’s voltage vs. current curve and the voltage vs. current curve from the flashlight’s entire system (LED, driver, springs, contact resistances, etc.). So if you put a higher forward-voltage LED in a flashlight (XM-L2, for example) and a FET driver, you won’t get a ton of current. If you put the lowest Vf LED you can find, like a Luxon V or White Flat 2mm^2, and a very good battery, you could risk burning out the emitter from pulling too many amps! And if you put a bad battery, it would be risky because you could exceed the battery’s rating and/or where it’s been tested to perform safely (not always the same thing).

Thanks for the explanation Scallywag! Sadly I still don’t understand most of what you said as I’m having a hard time understanding the engineering side of what goes on here. Hopefully soon I can. But I still got the answer to my question regardless! Party


Just because a flashlight uses a FET driver does not mean it’s like running a wire from the positive to the negative of the battery. This might produce 100+ amps! The led acts like a resistive load. The springs, FET model, led wires, body threads, etc… all create resistance.

With a particular battery, if you increase the resistance, the amperage goes down. If you decrease resistance the amperage goes up.

FET drivers can only be used with certain LEDs. Even then, you may be limited to certain batteries. It is a balancing act.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Starkm32
Starkm32's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 54 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2019 - 11:12
Posts: 154

With lights which are both rated as having similar Lumens, why does one look like it
Has less flux, and the other casts a full bodied beam.

Would also appreciate the difference between candlepower, and Lumens.

I am thick af, so please shine a hefty, clear explanation. TIA!

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5401
Location: Canada

Candela=intensity of the beam.

Lumens = how many photons the light can actually output.

Simple as that.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

Starkm32 wrote:
With lights which are both rated as having similar Lumens, why does one look like it
Has less flux, and the other casts a full bodied beam.

Would also appreciate the difference between candlepower, and Lumens.

I am thick af, so please shine a hefty, clear explanation. TIA!


Candlepower is an old measurement not used any more.

Candela is about intensity or how light is spread out/concentrated. This is how we measure throw distance.

Lumens are about the total light that is scattering in all directions.

You’ve seen zoomy lights, right? It can change the angle of the beam. Changing the beam angle to be more narrow creates higher intensity or candela even though the led is still putting out the same lumens. So candela changes but lumens don’t.

(Note that zoomy lights are a tricky example to use because their optical efficiency changes a lot as the lens focus changes. The lumens going out the front does drop off a lot as you narrow the beam angle even though the led lumens don’t change)

To give another example, I had two lights with the same reflector size. One with a 70.2 and one with a 50.2 led. In order to get the same intensity, or brightness in the hot spot, I found the 70.2 light needed 1000 lumen while the 50.2 light only needed 600 lumen. So two different lumen levels, but the same intensity due to the different size of the hot spots.

From an earlier post in this thread:

JasonWW wrote:
Starkm32 wrote:
Newbe question. Difference between Candelas/Lumen?

Candela is a measure of light intensity in a tiny portion of a fully formed beam. This tells you how far the light will travel.

Lumens is a measure of all the light being produced captured and combined back together, integrated, and then measured. Lumens are much harder to measure.

So candela varies greatly based on the reflector and beam angles.

Lumens are not effected by the reflector* or beam angle.

*Reflectors due vary in the amount of light they absorb and reflect, efficiency, which does effect lumens.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

nydude
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 08/29/2017 - 22:11
Posts: 156
Location: United States

love the alien conversation. my .2 cents is that there are lots and lots of civilisations out there and wouldn’t it be cool if we managed to not kill ourselves long enough to meet one.

now a stupid light question.

say I had a JETBeam WL-S4-GT with a XHP 70 led, and I really really like it, don’t want to mess it up, and don’t have mod experience.

then I see that XHP 70.2 comes out and think, it would be cool to put that in. is it an easy switch? will I mess my light up? is XHP 70.2 much better? (according to a random youtube video it could be).

thanks!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11775
Location: Houston Texas

nydude wrote:

say I had a JETBeam WL-S4-GT with a XHP 70 led, and I really really like it, don’t want to mess it up, and don’t have mod experience.

then I see that XHP 70.2 comes out and think, it would be cool to put that in. is it an easy switch? will I mess my light up? is XHP 70.2 much better? (according to a random youtube video it could be).

thanks!


The 70.2 at about 5 amp (I think that’s about the level the WL-S4-GT uses) will probably add a few hundred lumen on max. Not enough to really notice with your eyes. What you will see is the tint difference. The 70.2 is a flip chip design and it creates a yellow Corona around the hot spot. A lot of people prefer the older 70 for it’s nicer tint.

The real advantage of the 70.2 comes when you push it hard, at say 15-20 amps. Then it leaves the 70 in the dust, as it maxes out at about 12 amp.

Another advantage of the 70.2 is it has a smoother hot spot with only a faint dark center. The 70 has a noticable dark center (when used with SMO reflector). Your light uses a orange peel reflector so you won’t see much difference there.

I would not bother swapping it out. If you wanted to try, it’s as easy as ordering a new led on a similar size mcpcb and swapping it. I’m guessing it’s a 6v unit. Verify that before ordering. Then you just solder the 2 led wires. Pretty easy.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

nydude
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 08/29/2017 - 22:11
Posts: 156
Location: United States

hey thanks Jason!! got it.

Skylight
Skylight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 10/01/2018 - 04:49
Posts: 330
Location: Europe

Is it possible to use SST20, LH351D and Nichia 219C together in a direct drive setup for tint mixing? Would they differ much in brightness or burn due to different forward voltages?

Always looking for: used or damaged flashlights for repair and MODDING

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5401
Location: Canada

The LH351D and SST-20 would not be a problem in this setup, since the high CRI variants have very similar VFs.

The 219C would cause problem however. don’t know how much.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Skylight
Skylight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 10/01/2018 - 04:49
Posts: 330
Location: Europe

Yes, that is what I supposed. I wanted to try the SST20 and 219C 5000K together to increase rosiness and get a 4500K tint. They would get around 3 – 5A per led. Do you think the 219C would draw more current than is good for it?

So I might need to mix LH351D and SST20, throwy in the center and floody outside, not bad either.

Always looking for: used or damaged flashlights for repair and MODDING

Pages