The There Are No Stupid Questions Thread

490 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9187
Location: nyc
slmjim wrote:
Why are there almost no protected flat top 18650’s?

To be “protected”, you need the board on one end, usually the negative, and the sense-strip running to the positive end. To secure that strip at the positive end, you need a cap on top of the nekkid positive terminal, and usually that’s with a button-top cap.

Most are double-wrapped, with the sense-strip running between the 2 wraps, others like the panny-B just have Kapton tape covering the strip, which is then visible.

Most probably figure that if you’re sticking a cap on it already, you might as well make it a button-top so it’ll look like conventional cells and fit in holders, etc., without the need for nipples, springs, etc.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15678
Location: Amsterdam

slmjim wrote:

Why are there almost no protected flat top 18650’s?


 


I’ve only been able to find one, at an online vape site with no real assurance of it being genuine.


18650 batteries are made as flat tops because they are almost exclusively used in battery packs so a tab must easily be welded onto it.

Protected 18650’s are for a niche market that the producer never intended, protection therefore is always added as an aftermarket process by a different manufacturer.

I think button tops are added then because they are more versatile, and there are not many devices that exclusively work on flat tops.

Wrathbringer27
Wrathbringer27's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 03/02/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 2039
Location: Singapore GMT +8

Anyone knows if this is available in black? Convoy tube holster

Words can be broken,
so can bones.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1736
Location: Netherlands

i only know THIS one

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

WTS BLF GT

 

Wrathbringer27
Wrathbringer27's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 03/02/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 2039
Location: Singapore GMT +8

Yokiamy wrote:
i only know THIS one

Yep me too but apparently this just came out. But a pity i dont see it offered in black Sad

Words can be broken,
so can bones.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7090
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Tennergy made what could be considered protected flat tops ...

My guess on why 3.7 volts is because nimh and nicad etc are 1.2v and three cells combined equal 3,6v which if I remember correctly was a number more commonly used than 3.7v. I'm sure there is a better answer ..but hey "there are no stupid answers "

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                                  https://www.gty.org/

 

    Still selling diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Threadneedle
Threadneedle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 22 hours ago
Joined: 01/19/2016 - 17:19
Posts: 457
Location: London, UK

Candela and lux. How can they be simply explained to an idiot? (me)

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4014
Location: Portugal
slmjim wrote:

Can a HF 9-led 3-AAA giveaway light be modified in any useful way economically?

I guess it can Wink
Take a look on these threads Wink I was also inspired by the mod in the first link, so I made mine (2nd link)!

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/23416
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55881

Thumbs Up

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4014
Location: Portugal

My turn for some “stupid” questions Big Smile

1 – Are there “ready to use” lighted forward clicky switches? If so, where can I find them? Flat Stare

2 – How good can a triple 14500 (XP-G2, 15mm or 17mm MTN DD driver) flashlight be? Is it too much for a 14500 cell, even with small “turbo boosts”? Question

3 – Is there any slim flashlight head (ex: Thorfire TG06, or similar) that possibly fits the body of an Astrolux X5? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance for eventual answers to these questions Big Smile Thumbs Up

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1736
Location: Netherlands
Threadneedle wrote:

Candela and lux. How can they be simply explained to an idiot? (me)

  • Lumens are how much light is given off
  • Lux is how bright your surface will be
  • Candela measures the visible intensity from the light source.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

WTS BLF GT

 

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 3010
Location: North Carolina

MascaratumB wrote:

2 – How good can a triple 14500 (XP-G2, 15mm or 17mm MTN DD driver) flashlight be? Is it too much for a 14500 cell, even with small “turbo boosts”? Question


If you use a Efest 650mah purple It might do pretty good judging by djozz“s test. Top 14500 cell out at the moment.
I’ll take a guess, maybe 2100 lumen’s at start and falling fast.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4014
Location: Portugal

moderator007 wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:

2 – How good can a triple 14500 (XP-G2, 15mm or 17mm MTN DD driver) flashlight be? Is it too much for a 14500 cell, even with small “turbo boosts”? Question


If you use a Efest 650mah purple It might do pretty good judging by djozz“s test. Top 14500 cell out at the moment.
I’ll take a guess, maybe 2100 lumen’s at start and falling fast.

Hum, nice to know that! I have 2 Efest IMR ready for it! Just need to find the “perfect” host to try it!
Those numbers are good, but of course will be quick fall, for sure! I will use it for small bursts probably!

Thanks for your answer Wink

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2301
Location: Canada

Why do we keep hoarding flashlights?

lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 20 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 149
Location: Paradise

How do those million volt hand held stun devices I see advertised produce that much voltage from a battery that small?

Out of clutter find simplicity---Einstein

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9187
Location: nyc
lampliter wrote:
How do those million volt hand held stun devices I see advertised produce that much voltage from a battery that small?

They’re “Chinese volts”, kinda like “Chinese lumens”. You know, how a 3×AAA light with Latticebright XP-E lookalike chip can produce 2,000 5,000 8,000 lumens.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

zespectre
zespectre's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 02/10/2018 - 08:08
Posts: 97
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Lightbringer wrote:
lampliter wrote:
How do those million volt hand held stun devices I see advertised produce that much voltage from a battery that small?

They’re “Chinese volts”, kinda like “Chinese lumens”. You know, how a 3×AAA light with Latticebright XP-E lookalike chip can produce 2,000 5,000 8,000 lumens.

Now THAT is funny

Tonights forecast, 100% chance of dark.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9187
Location: nyc
zespectre wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
lampliter wrote:
How do those million volt hand held stun devices I see advertised produce that much voltage from a battery that small?

They’re “Chinese volts”, kinda like “Chinese lumens”. You know, how a 3×AAA light with Latticebright XP-E lookalike chip can produce 2,000 5,000 8,000 lumens.

Now THAT is funny

Actually, I thought I was just being a wiseass, but:

8000lm

https://www.ebay.com/i/311963824250?chn=ps&var=610753387762&dispItem=1

8000lm

https://www.ebay.com/i/352164003192?chn=ps&dispItem=1

10,000 lm!!!1111oneoneone

https://www.ebay.com/i/391001550220?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Facepalm

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 3010
Location: North Carolina

And the really bad thing, is there are uninformed people that fall for it. Facepalm
And they think its the greatest thing ever since a 2D mag is what there use to until I pull out my D4. Big Smile

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1321
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Lightbringer wrote:
lampliter wrote:
How do those million volt hand held stun devices I see advertised produce that much voltage from a battery that small?

They’re “Chinese volts”, kinda like “Chinese lumens”. You know, how a 3×AAA light with Latticebright XP-E lookalike chip can produce 2,000 5,000 8,000 lumens.


Yes and no.
Sure most of those ratings are exaggerated. But producing a high voltage from just a single battery is no rocket science. The problem is when you want some power. Meaning, increasing the amps. Those devices might have a huge voltage but there current is very low. Dont forget that just 20mA (out of my head, exact figure can be slightly different) trough your heart could kill you.
You might ask now, but why is a hot rod flashlight that is pushing 10 or more amps to the emitter not dangerous?
That’s because the voltage is too low. Our skin has a very high resistance and thus a low voltage wont hurt us. That’s also why many (‘insulating’) materials that are being used in or around electrical equipment are rated to a certain voltage. Above that there is a possibility that the electricity can go trough it.
Aleister
Aleister's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 10/23/2010 - 15:27
Posts: 724
Location: Greece
Lightbringer wrote:
They’re “Chinese volts”, kinda like “Chinese lumens”. You know, how a 3×AAA light with Latticebright XP-E lookalike chip can produce 2,000 5,000 8,000 lumens.

I went to my father last weekend and he was proud for his new “very bright light, as bright as the one you gave me a few years ago”, which he purchased locally online for 10-15 euros.

The one he referred to was this: http://www.dx.com/p/aurora-ak-p7-5-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-2-mode-900-lumen-led-... and no, his new light isn’t that bright. It has a generic XP-E sized led pushing 100-150 “throwy” lumens, due to the tiny emitter. I was carrying an S41 Nichia at the time with a fresh Q30 which I shined to the ceiling saying something like “that’s not bright, this is bright”. My brother nearly choked laughing.

Let a flooder be my wife and a thrower be my mistress

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9187
Location: nyc
Aleister wrote:
I went to my father last weekend and he was proud for his new “very bright light, as bright as the one you gave me a few years ago”, which he purchased locally online for 10-15 euros.

Uh-oh. I know the rest of this story…

Aleister wrote:
The one he referred to was this: http://www.dx.com/p/aurora-ak-p7-5-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-2-mode-900-lumen-led-... and no, his new light isn’t that bright. It has a generic XP-E sized led pushing 100-150 “throwy” lumens, due to the tiny emitter. I was carrying an S41 Nichia at the time with a fresh Q30 which I shined to the ceiling saying something like “that’s not bright, this is bright”. My brother nearly choked laughing.

Yeah, I’ve gotten that. “Lookit my bright new light!!” Love when I get the follow-up “It’s probably even brighter’n yours!”, referring to my little 1-mode ~500lm ’502.

Then we turn off the lights and do a ceiling-bounce test. Yeah, their “bright” lights are probably 100lm-150lm.

My favorite was a LB-fueled C8 wannabe. Sure, nice tight hotspot, quite bright, but 100lm concentrated into a small disc. Just for s&g, I trot out my C8A. The C8-wannabe illuminates the room, kinda, sorta. My C8A lights up the room as if someone flicked on the room-lights. Evil

I just wish I had an audience for that one. Big Smile

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 1 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1736
Location: Netherlands
lampliter wrote:
How do those million volt hand held stun devices I see advertised produce that much voltage from a battery that small?

Probably by self inductance from a coil, which can generate very high voltages (probably not 1 million volts though)

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

WTS BLF GT

 

Aleister
Aleister's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 10/23/2010 - 15:27
Posts: 724
Location: Greece
Lightbringer wrote:
Aleister wrote:
I went to my father last weekend and he was proud for his new “very bright light, as bright as the one you gave me a few years ago”, which he purchased locally online for 10-15 euros.

Uh-oh. I know the rest of this story…

Aleister wrote:
The one he referred to was this: http://www.dx.com/p/aurora-ak-p7-5-ha-iii-ssc-p7-c-2-mode-900-lumen-led-... and no, his new light isn’t that bright. It has a generic XP-E sized led pushing 100-150 “throwy” lumens, due to the tiny emitter. I was carrying an S41 Nichia at the time with a fresh Q30 which I shined to the ceiling saying something like “that’s not bright, this is bright”. My brother nearly choked laughing.

Yeah, I’ve gotten that. “Lookit my bright new light!!” Love when I get the follow-up “It’s probably even brighter’n yours!”, referring to my little 1-mode ~500lm ’502.

Then we turn off the lights and do a ceiling-bounce test. Yeah, their “bright” lights are probably 100lm-150lm.

My favorite was a LB-fueled C8 wannabe. Sure, nice tight hotspot, quite bright, but 100lm concentrated into a small disc. Just for s&g, I trot out my C8A. The C8-wannabe illuminates the room, kinda, sorta. My C8A lights up the room as if someone flicked on the room-lights. Evil

I just wish I had an audience for that one. Big Smile


Big Smile
Oh man, I just thought that since I carry a Nitecore Tini on my keys, I should be shining that instead of my pocket light. That little thing amazes me every time I turn it on, I can’t imagine how it will look to the eyes of a non flashaholic holding a full sized 100-150 lumens “Police Tactical 10000 lumens Maybefire” Big Smile

Let a flooder be my wife and a thrower be my mistress

Pablo de Llama
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/15/2018 - 11:30
Posts: 113

mrheosuper wrote:
why li-ion cell is 3.7V, but not 3v or any other voltage?

Put simply, because it's the voltage produced by the battery chemistry that they use. 

Different chemistries produce different voltages.

Nooner
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 6 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2017 - 09:42
Posts: 164
Location: Canada

Can AMC 7135 380mA chips be stacked on top of 350mA chips?

Thanks.

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15678
Location: Amsterdam

Nooner wrote:
Can AMC 7135 380mA chips be stacked on top of 350mA chips?

Thanks.


Yes, no problem.
Nooner
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 6 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2017 - 09:42
Posts: 164
Location: Canada

djozz wrote:
Nooner wrote:
Can AMC 7135 380mA chips be stacked on top of 350mA chips?

Thanks.


Yes, no problem.

Ok thanks! (again)

skinny_tie
skinny_tie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/23/2017 - 03:14
Posts: 332
Location: Australia

I recently purchased a BLF X5/X6 driver from Banggood, and it produces a bright flash when switching to low, even from off. Do they all do that?

keithd
keithd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2014 - 00:35
Posts: 790

My turn!

1) Can you DD an XHP70.2 with 3S/9V?

2) Driver recommendations for a max-effort Trustfire TR-J19 – running 3x XHP70.2 P2 1A (likely 2S/6V)?

I have a TR-J19 which can run either 32650 2S or 3S, with a really bad driver in it. It’s been collecting dust since I bought it, and I want to update it. It’s massively heavy so it can take a lot of heat.

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15678
Location: Amsterdam

skinny_tie wrote:
I recently purchased a BLF X5/X6 driver from Banggood, and it produces a bright flash when switching to low, even from off. Do they all do that?

Many different drivers do that and the electronics experts have a good explanation for the phenomenon. There are design options for drivers that prevent it. That is all I know.

Pages