Acebeam X70 - 40000 lm - 8*18650 - Active fan cooling

692 posts / 0 new
Last post
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas

LichtAn wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
lionheart_2281 wrote:

Can’t you rack off to the other forum if all you’re gonna do here is gloat about the overpriced V54 lights you’ve purchased? Talk about your V54 lights with people that care.

There’s no need for this.

You also might get some rude points since it does seem like a pretty rude thing to say.

Don’t you think it was pretty rude in the first place to have multiple offtopic posts in here?


No, off topic conversations are normal here, plus they were friendly. Telling someone to get off the forum is not friendly.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas

mortuus wrote:
damn…. thats impressive… crazy how is that even possible with 8*18650 Battery(Sony VTC6) ?? i thought that much lumens needs better batteries… JasonWW what u say ?

Well there is no way it could sustain 60,000 lumen. That is for sure. 40,000 lumen was borderline sustainable.

Here are my old calculations from my thread on actively cooled lights:

JasonWW wrote:
Sustained 40k lumens doesn’t sound possible, does it? The PowerTac 10k seems to cycle it’s single fan. So if the X70 has an efficient heatsink design with each fan cooling 1/3 of the heatsink area, the fans run continuously and power output drops with battery voltage, then maybe it is possible.

40k lumen for 30 minutes is quite a record. Even if output starts to slowly decline. I have no idea what driver design they might be using.

40,000 ÷ 12 = 3,333 lumen per emitter. That’s roughly 3.5A per emitter. 42 amps at the 6 volt level or 21 amps at 12 volt level.

21 amps at 13 to 14 actual volts would be 273-294 watts.

As far as the batteries, it’s using 8 × 18650. If the cells were 4S2P (like the Imalent DX80) that would require at least 10.5A per cell. Good cells like 30Q should handle that amperage and temperature it seems (internal battery temp due to the heavy discharge, not heat from the head).

So maybe it is possible. I was not expecting 3 fans. That could be the key to maintaining the high output. Even if your down to 30k lumen when the LVP kicks in at 30 minutes it’s still a remarkable feat.


How the heck did I come up with 3.5A per emitter? I don’t have to look at a chart to know that doesn’t sound right. It should be closer to 4.5A.

Anyway, let me plug in 60k lumen to the formula.

60,000 ÷ 12 = 5,000 lumen per emitter. That’s roughly 8A per emitter (conservatively). 96 amps at the 6 volt level or 48 amps at 12 volt level.

48 amps at 13 to 14 actual volts would be 624-672 watts!.

As far as the batteries, it’s using 8 × 18650. If the cells were 4S2P (like the Imalent DX80) that would require at least 24A per cell!. The Sony VTC6 can not handle that amperage and temperature long term due to internal battery temps exceeding 80°C. They could do 24A each for short periods, though.

So my guess is that the X70 could do 60,000 very briefly. Maybe a couple minutes. We are talking very brief extreme turbo.

If we look at the Acebeam X80-GT it does a rated 32,000 lumen using 18 × 50.2 emitters. It only uses 4 cells at 18.6A@12v for about 260W and can sustain that for about 25 seconds. This is using 20A protected Acebeam batteries.

So the X70 would be working each battery even harder. 24A each, whew!

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

LichtAn
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/08/2018 - 02:37
Posts: 322
Location: Germany
JasonWW wrote:
48 amps at 13 to 14 actual volts would be 624-672 watts!.

I wonder how this can ever work out. Even submerged in water this should be WAY too much heat generated even for 15 seconds. But I’m sure someone here can do the math.
Just think about the gigantic cpu coolers with triple 140mm fans you have nowadays to keep temperatures below 80°C and they just generate a quarter of the power.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2358
Location: Sweden

600watts of power? holy cow thats like a mini nuclear power plant in your hands… totally insane of amount of heat generated…. shall be interesting how they solved the cooling inside….

I start to worry this light can be a real dangerous light if they dont put in proximity sensors like olight did and the risk of burning yourself must be also high..

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

SKV89
Online
Last seen: 5 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3443
Location: US
LichtAn wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
48 amps at 13 to 14 actual volts would be 624-672 watts!.

I wonder how this can ever work out. Even submerged in water this should be WAY too much heat generated even for 15 seconds. But I’m sure someone here can do the math.
Just think about the gigantic cpu coolers with triple 140mm fans you have nowadays to keep temperatures below 80°C and they just generate a quarter of the power.

Fortunately most of that power is converted to light instead of heat. My 80+ platinum power supply can run fanless on my overclocked i7 7700k with overclocked GTX 1080 and three harddrives, which produces a couple hundred watts.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas
SKV89 wrote:
LichtAn wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
48 amps at 13 to 14 actual volts would be 624-672 watts!.

I wonder how this can ever work out. Even submerged in water this should be WAY too much heat generated even for 15 seconds. But I’m sure someone here can do the math.
Just think about the gigantic cpu coolers with triple 140mm fans you have nowadays to keep temperatures below 80°C and they just generate a quarter of the power.

Fortunately most of that power is converted to light instead of heat. My 80+ platinum power supply can run fanless on my overclocked i7 7700k with overclocked GTX 1080 and three harddrives, which produces a couple hundred watts.


You can’t say “most of that power is converted to light instead of heat”. I think only 25% to 30% gets turned into light. The other 70% to 75% is heat.

I think you’re confusing driver efficiency with LED efficiency. A good buck driver might be 92% efficient. So your computer power supply might be pretty efficient, but it’s not the main source of heat.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

SKV89
Online
Last seen: 5 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3443
Location: US

I stand corrected Thumbs Up

Perpetual Lumen
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2017 - 04:56
Posts: 307

Its official, lights will be available to ship by the end of next month. Preorders are now being taken.

TN42vnCFT90, TN40Svn, K60 TX25c2vn40

Perpetual Lumen
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2017 - 04:56
Posts: 307

Acebeam page updated. Now its 60k lumens

TN42vnCFT90, TN40Svn, K60 TX25c2vn40

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2358
Location: Sweden

This light will probably set the bar for a very long time if knowing acebeam and their quality. Now its only wait and see what the actual runtimes will be and how long it can last with 600wats, but damn that much lumens is just insane…

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

optntdr13
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2014 - 10:47
Posts: 78
Location: Maryland

That is the coolest looking light I’ve seen in a long long time. Reminds me of the BTU terminator on steroids.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2414
Location: Canada

Solid looking light.  If they dropped the price to around  $300 I would probably buy it.  Too bad acebeam doesn't do group buys.

Fate0n3
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2013 - 12:36
Posts: 178
Location: US

OK that is pretty awesome right there, these light manufacturers are really pushing the limits big time.

Now I see something a little different, is the flashlight itself actually fan cooled WITHOUT the handle or does the handle add a secondary fan to help with cooling orrrrrrrrr is it just the handle that is the fan cooling?

That is def a new idea you don’t see done much. I wish they would add more mass to the head of these giants to help with heat a little more.

I do wonder tho how much the human eye can tell a difference between 30k and 60k, maybe some of you could have some information on how the human eye handles that levels of brightness

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas

Fate0n3 wrote:

Now I see something a little different, is the flashlight itself actually fan cooled WITHOUT the handle or does the handle add a secondary fan to help with cooling orrrrrrrrr is it just the handle that is the fan cooling?

They removed all the internal fans. So now it’s like a conventional flashlight with an add-on fan handle.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Fate0n3
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2013 - 12:36
Posts: 178
Location: US
JasonWW wrote:
Fate0n3 wrote:
Now I see something a little different, is the flashlight itself actually fan cooled WITHOUT the handle or does the handle add a secondary fan to help with cooling orrrrrrrrr is it just the handle that is the fan cooling?
They removed all the internal fans. So now it’s like a conventional flashlight with an add-on fan handle.

Thats interesting! Thank you Jason for the answer

AgentWhiteBread
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 04/18/2018 - 21:00
Posts: 96
Location: Kansas

As for “how much brighter”. I think it kinda depends on the reflector design. With flood lights, 30k vs 100k lumen flood lights, there isn’t a MASSIVE difference. Where it gets interesting is the lights with larger, deeper, reflectors with a range of 800-1000+ meters. While a light like the WS10 might be 250 lumens and 1000m, it’s a pencil thin beam. So with massive numbers like this, instead of illuminating a door 1000 meters away, you can brightly illuminate the side of a warehouse from 1000 meters away.

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

The reflector where XHP70.2 sit in seems to be much shallower than MS12. I think it will be much more floodier than MS12. The middle XHP35 HI will be in charged of the throwing mostly. Wonder can it hit 200kcd.

cool i'll see you when you get there

lionheart_2281
lionheart_2281's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 18:32
Posts: 2986
Location: Brisbane, Australia
DENGOH wrote:
The reflector where XHP70.2 sit in seems to be much shallower than MS12. I think it will be much more floodier than MS12. The middle XHP35 HI will be in charged of the throwing mostly. Wonder can it hit 200kcd.

I imagine the XHP35HI alone would get 200kcd, looks like a decently deep reflector

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

From picture it seems to be about same size with Utorch UT02, that is why I think it might hit 110kcd for the middle XHP35 HI, and the rest XHP70.2 can make up the 90kcd. Just a wild guess. Cool

cool i'll see you when you get there

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas

DENGOH wrote:
From picture it seems to be about same size with Utorch UT02, that is why I think it might hit 110kcd for the middle XHP35 HI, and the rest XHP70.2 can make up the 90kcd. Just a wild guess. Cool

The UT02 is really weak. It’s only putting out 800 to maybe 900 lumen. I’m sure Acebeam can bump that up to twice the lumens.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

That is true UT02 is weak as stock. But I think it is quite tough to reach 1800lm for Acebeam. We shall see how it perform in Q4 2018 when it is released. So excited with all these giant flashlights. Too bad not enough fund to purchase them at this price.

cool i'll see you when you get there

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2358
Location: Sweden

why no steel bezel? would look alot better imo, but curious how it will perform tho still not certain if it was a good idea ditch the internal fans? that “thing” looks sure odd haha it will be noisy as hell probably.

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Theodore41
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 02/20/2016 - 12:57
Posts: 1002
Location: Athens Greece.

DENGOH wrote:
So excited with all these giant flashlights. Too bad not enough fund to purchase them at this price.

I agree.So,I have to stay with my so far reliable DX80 Smile
DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

Theodore41 wrote:
DENGOH wrote:
So excited with all these giant flashlights. Too bad not enough fund to purchase them at this price.

I agree.So,I have to stay with my so far reliable DX80 Smile

I should have bought DX80 when it was at $179, but i have never seen it at this price, i think i saw Jason mentioned it in some thread. This MS12 and R90C design are really not convenient to do topup charging, and i use turbo only for big lights.

cool i'll see you when you get there

will34
will34's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3689

The handle looks like it takes a 18650 to power the fan and the switch doesn’t control the light, I don’t see any connector for external power/switch on the flashlight itselft.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas

will34 wrote:
The handle looks like it takes a 18650 to power the fan and the switch doesn’t control the light. I don’t see any connector for external power/switch on the flashlight itself.

This is what everyone else sees, as well.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 7984
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

Quote:
the X70 still under testing, I will inform you once it’s ready

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

BIG THANKS for helping me by using my REFLinks

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2358
Location: Sweden

hm okay, so roughly 1 minute highest only ? not that impressive imo Sad for that lumens a light needs some serious cooling power then it shows.. i still dont get why use 18650 and not 21700 ??

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2358
Location: Sweden

okay seems it will also run at 15k at highest then without thermal stepdown,

Power Mode:
Ultra Low: 625lms, 24 hours;
Low: 3250lms, 5 hours;
Med: 8000lms, 2 hours;
High: 25000lms~16000lms, 8 minutes + 48 minutes;
Turbo: 60000lms~15000lms, 55 seconds + 50 minutes;
Strobe: 10000lms, 3.5 hours;

but yes if the x70 delivers close to the stated turbo lumens then we have a new lumen king.

Its not bad at all that it will run highest for almost a minute or the second highest for 8 min, but i expected more then 15k nonstop runtime tho..

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12123
Location: Houston Texas

I think the 3 fan design could have been way better at cooling. Like 25,000 continous, not just 8 minutes. It’s a let down.

It can only do the highest for 55 seconds probably because it draws 24A from each battery. Plus the heat. Wink

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Pages