Texas_Ace BLF Calibrated Lumen tube / Sphere No math skills needed - Several spheres still available

1422 posts / 0 new
Last post
Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Tjhosan wrote:
Any idea of what shipping to sweden would end up at?

PM sent.

Bob_McBob
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 08/14/2016 - 04:53
Posts: 225
Location: Canada
Texas_Ace wrote:
It is possible I could 3D print up a custom ring that could be used for this if they all have the same size head. Can you get me a measurement of whatever edge you would want the light to seal to?

I’ll get you some measurements later today. Could you please PM me about shipping to Canada? I am tentatively interested.

Narmattaru
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 259
Location: Russia

i mean low lumen not with sphere, with this self-made pipe

good news, everyone!

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 1477
Location: Finland

Great job TA!

It doesn’t matter how low lumens the pipe can measure. You can just measure a middle or high mode in the tube and calculate the low mode lumens from the lux ratio in a smaller box or even measuring straight from the hotspot. Of course it’s not as straightforward as looking at the number on the lux meter.

Narmattaru
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 259
Location: Russia
maukka wrote:
It doesn’t matter how low lumens the pipe can measure. You can just measure a middle or high mode in the tube and calculate the low mode lumens from the lux ratio in a smaller box or even measuring straight from the hotspot. Of course it’s not as straightforward as looking at the number on the lux meter.

you are damn right ) i use this ratio sometimes, dont know why it didnt came to my mind this time
thanx

good news, everyone!

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Bob_McBob wrote:
Texas_Ace wrote:
It is possible I could 3D print up a custom ring that could be used for this if they all have the same size head. Can you get me a measurement of whatever edge you would want the light to seal to?

I’ll get you some measurements later today. Could you please PM me about shipping to Canada? I am tentatively interested.

PM sent

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 1764
Location: United states

$300 deposit PayPal sent for 3 lumen tube. Thanks.

Blazer296
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/15/2015 - 03:17
Posts: 169
Location: central illinois

In for 1.

Always wanted a way to truly compare my builds to others here on BLF.

Let me know if I need to pre-pay.

Thanks.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Blazer296 wrote:
In for 1.

Always wanted a way to truly compare my builds to others here on BLF.

Let me know if I need to pre-pay.

Thanks.

Added!

I will post when I am ready for payments, I want to get all the details figured out on exactly what I am ordering and how many first so I have peoples money as short as possible.

I figure I will give it a week or so and see what the interest level is before nailing everything down. Right now I would order 20 but if we push past 20 in the next several days I will go ahead and order 30.

Plus I am going to go see if I can get that other half a sheet of the diffusing sheet, in which case I might just go ahead and order 40 of them and sell whatever is left over without shipping included in the price until they are gone.

All depends on how much interest they get in the next week or so.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 1764
Location: United states

Yes. We should prepaid. I did already..

Agro
Online
Last seen: 13 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 2756
Location: Ślōnsk

Thank you Texas Ace for doing it. I think it’s very valuable to have a set of cubes which measure the same spread around the world.
I’m not into this stuff deep enough to buy one yet (and recognise that I may be losing my only chance), but I love it nevertheless.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 1764
Location: United states

I am very confident you will sell 20. If not, i would fill the gap. Guarantee.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Newlumen wrote:
Yes. We should prepaid. I did already..

I plan to get some PVC quotes tomorrow for both the normal and larger size and hopefully see if I can get anymore diffusing sheet (If I offered the larger tube option I would need more for sure).

Saturday I plan to take a trip to the laser cutter and 3D printer to get a quote on those.

I have an idea what the prices will be but I need to confirm.

I am also talking to a few suppliers about getting express shipping on the lux meters so we don’t have to wait forever.

Once I have all of that nailed down I will start taking payments, most likely this weekend.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 6379
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Just to make sure I understand correctly TA.

  • YOU will tell us when & how to make payment (downpayment / prepayment).
  • You “might” offer a ‘tube’ large enough to accommodate a GT sized light.

Is this correct??

Thank you TA……… Thumbs Up

      You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. / Paul "Bear" Bryant ~/~\~ "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

       Texas Lumens Flashlights  <>   M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$    ||||

         Rudeness Level /\ mΩ /\ {width:70%} /\ LightWiki /\ LED Tint Chart /\ LED Tint Picture /\ Xlamp size chart /\ BatteryU                   Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???   wink   /\ TheOriginal /\ TAB /\ LightSearch /\ BatterySearch /\ 14500's /\ DiCal                                                       

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

teacher wrote:
Just to make sure I understand correctly TA.
  • YOU will tell us when & how to make payment (downpayment / prepayment).
  • You “might” offer a ‘tube’ large enough to accommodate a GT sized light.

Is this correct??

Thank you TA……… Thumbs Up

Yep, pretty much. I just want to nail down the final details to make sure there are no surprises before I start taking money.

This is much larger then I first planned on and the costs are higher as well. So having to re-figure some things and make sure I can get the quantities I need.

Terry Oregon
Terry Oregon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/21/2017 - 17:03
Posts: 152
Location: Beaverton Oregon

Count me in.

 

Terry

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6151
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Boaz is selling DC-Fix Here and he has mentioned that he has some other materials including some that are thicker/stiff that he needs someone to test. Maybe you could help him out with testing, and it might be similar to what you’re using for this tube or even the same material. I don’t know what price you paid for yours, but I think you should check with him.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
DavidEF wrote:
Boaz is selling DC-Fix Here and he has mentioned that he has some other materials including some that are thicker/stiff that he needs someone to test. Maybe you could help him out with testing, and it might be similar to what you’re using for this tube or even the same material. I don’t know what price you paid for yours, but I think you should check with him.

Yeah, I got my DC-Fix from him myself. I was planning on using it for the sphere but it would of needed a separate piece of glass to mount it on.

The biggest reason I want more of this particular diffusing sheet is that stacked in the right order it gets the sphere within about 5-10% off the bat, which is much easier to fine tune then something that is further off.

I am pretty sure I saw another half sheet of this on a shelf when I got this but I didn’t worry about it since I didn’t think it would be needed. I plan to stop by tomorrow and see if it is still there.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 6379
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Texas_Ace wrote:
teacher wrote:
Just to make sure I understand correctly TA.
  • YOU will tell us when & how to make payment (downpayment / prepayment).
  • You “might” offer a ‘tube’ large enough to accommodate a GT sized light.

Is this correct??

Thank you TA……… Thumbs Up

Yep, pretty much. I just want to nail down the final details to make sure there are no surprises before I start taking money.

This is much larger then I first planned on and the costs are higher as well. So having to re-figure some things and make sure I can get the quantities I need.

Sounds great TA, looking forward to it!!! Thumbs Up

      You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load. / Paul "Bear" Bryant ~/~\~ "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

       Texas Lumens Flashlights  <>   M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$    ||||

         Rudeness Level /\ mΩ /\ {width:70%} /\ LightWiki /\ LED Tint Chart /\ LED Tint Picture /\ Xlamp size chart /\ BatteryU                   Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???   wink   /\ TheOriginal /\ TAB /\ LightSearch /\ BatterySearch /\ 14500's /\ DiCal                                                       

inrealtime
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2015 - 14:13
Posts: 26
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Looking forward to the option of the larger tube before I commit. Prefer the larger tube

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
inrealtime wrote:
Looking forward to the option of the larger tube before I commit. Prefer the larger tube

I did some searching online earlier today and the larger tubes are only 5-6x the price online (each bench was $30-$50)

I know of a local specialty plumbing supply I plan to check tomorrow.

inrealtime
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/11/2015 - 14:13
Posts: 26
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Texas_Ace wrote:
inrealtime wrote:
Looking forward to the option of the larger tube before I commit. Prefer the larger tube

I did some searching online earlier today and the larger tubes are only 5-6x the price online lol.

I know of a local specialty plumbing supply I plan to check tomorrow.

“Only” 5-6 times. LOL. I guess I will be buying the standard size!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 8387
Location: Houston Texas

What about using a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer on the regular lumen tube and then have a correction factor specifically for using that reducer?

That way it keeps the cost size and shipping weight down and only adds one extra piece to be used on rare occasions. The rest of the time you have the normal three and a half inch inlet and can read the lumens directly off the meter.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware (old), lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well. 

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70.2, 26350 cells (4,100 lumen!), Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! 

10 NarsilM user videos for BLF Q8, GT, GT Mini and ROT66

Texas_Ace BLF Calibrated Lumen tube

Maukka Calibration Lights for DIY Lumen Measuring Devices 

Review Jaxmnve M1 Stainless 10180 Keychain light

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

JasonWW wrote:
What about using a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer on the regular lumen tube and then have a correction factor specifically for using that reducer?

That way it keeps the cost size and shipping weight down and only adds one extra piece to be used on rare occasions. The rest of the time you have the normal three and a half inch inlet and can read the lumens directly off the meter.

I have considered this as well but it would have to remain attached at all times, the calibration would change too much to be easily compensated for when it was added or removed I think.

Installing it on top would make it top heavy and I don’t think it would sit flat anymore.

Using a 6” to 3-4” 90* bend is another option I am thinking about but talk about expensive!

I will see what the specialty place has, if they don’t have it, then I don’t think I will be getting it.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
inrealtime wrote:
Texas_Ace wrote:
inrealtime wrote:
Looking forward to the option of the larger tube before I commit. Prefer the larger tube

I did some searching online earlier today and the larger tubes are only 5-6x the price online lol.

I know of a local specialty plumbing supply I plan to check tomorrow.

“Only” 5-6 times. LOL. I guess I will be buying the standard size!

Yeah, thats why I stuck with the 3.5” myself, it was just not worth the higher cost for the handful of lights that would need it.

Although I was looking at home depot before, I hope this plumbing store will have a better selection and pricing on the large parts.

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3195
Location: Pennsylvania

Put me on the list for one.
Thanks for doing this!

"Over 2000000 hours (about 200 years) standby time"  (DQG Tiny 4th)

"27,157 results for zoomable flashlight" (ebay)

 

 

Lund1660
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 04:51
Posts: 255

Definitely interested!

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
beam0 wrote:
Put me on the list for one. Thanks for doing this!

Added!

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 7727
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Lund1660 wrote:
Definitely interested!

So is that a request to be added to the list or just an “i’m watching this closely and thinking hard” post?

slimkango
slimkango's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 01/29/2014 - 20:13
Posts: 100
Location: Ohio

Please put me on the list for one also.

Pages