High output AA?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States
High output AA?

I’d like to have on hand a AA EDC with high output. I have a TK05 that can use AA, but it goes up only to 240 lumens. Is that about as high as I can expect? I keep that in my bag with a 14500. I just want a light at the ready with AA (or 2 AA). And I don’t want to spend a fortune on it.

Rick

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers

The Klarus Mi7 does 700 lumens on a 14500 IIRC.
But of course this is only for short bursts…
More than 300 lumens in an EDC AA doesn’t really make sense to me but whatever float your boat Smile

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

zak.wilson
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 944

Zebralight manages around 500 lumens from AA, but I don’t think anybody else is running them nearly that hard. Full output requires an NiMH battery, of course.

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

desmondkun
desmondkun's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 12/11/2016 - 14:51
Posts: 358
Location: Thailand

I’m looking for review of lumintop edc05.
But IMHO for continuous usage, aa size light should be around 100-200 lumen, anyway.

Take care of your flashlight and your flashlight will take care of you.

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

The point is to have a AA on hand that is affordable and has high output. I just want to know what’s the best I can expect.

The first Zebralight I saw with a quick search is priced at $69. That’s pretty far beyond my limit.

Rick

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3035
Location: USA

UTorch UT01: 400 lm on NiMH; 800 lm on Li-Ion, although realistically it is probably closer to 600 lm. Often goes on sale for $9.99 with a coupon. I’ve got several of them.

Small enough to clip to your hat and use as a headlamp as well.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2723
Location: France, Angers

Take a look at parametrek :
AA&500+ lumens

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Thanks, all. The Utorch looks good. Gearbest is the only source I’ve found now at $21. That isn’t bad. I’ll give it some more thought.

Rick

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3035
Location: USA

rickw12 wrote:
. Gearbest is the only source I’ve found now at $21. That isn’t bad. I’ll give it some more thought.

$16.99 with the currently available coupon code
Sorry, I think that flash sale is over.

One thing to note about UT01 is that some people had problems with the switch not working or not working correctly. Both of mine have been fine. I have a CW one an NW one. I prefer the CW. The NW version is way too warm for my liking.

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Thanks!

Rick

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Yeah, I just saw that. But thanks anyway. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Rick

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2153
Location: Canada
zak.wilson wrote:
Zebralight manages around 500 lumens from AA, but I don’t think anybody else is running them nearly that hard. Full output requires an NiMH battery, of course.

+1

The Zebralight SC5w is a great light, by far my favourite 1xAA light. Over 500 lumens, nice tint & beam, fantastic UI. All on a single Eneloop.

It’s a little pricey, but IMO, the Zebralights are well worth it. I have a drawer full of AA lights, but it’s my Zebralights that I end up using 99% of the time.

duvallite
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/08/2016 - 00:09
Posts: 158
Location: Greater Puget Sound

Check out Manker E11, Utorch UT01, and Lumintop EDC05. They are all a very similar design with decent output. All 3 have had some reports of driver/switch issues (read the threads on these), but lots of people haven’t had any issues. Both of my UT01 lights work fine with AA or Eneloops, but have the well documented driver/switch problem when using a 14500. Still a very nice light though. FWIW, Lumintop supposedly has been working on the problem, and “supposedly” they have now fixed the issue. Lumintop also is the only one of the 3 that has a magnetic tailcap. I have a couple of other lights that have this feature, and I find it super handy to have.

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Can the magnet be removed?

Rick

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 2126
Location: Foley, MO

High Lumen AA lights I have include Reylight AA Pinapple, Lumintop EDC05 in NW, Olight S1A in CW, Utorch UT01 in CW, Jetbeam Jet I MK in CW, and a Enogear Stainless AA in NW.

I usually end up with the Lumintop or Reylight in my pocket. Although the others all work just fine. I really like the Enogear but is a bit on the heavy side depending on what i’m wearing. I run 14500’s in all of them but they work equally well with NiMh as well. I am also guilty of throwing a DQG Tiny AA in my pocket as a backup.

Honestly if the weight of brass doesn’t bother you for EDC I would just grab a Reylight from the group buy. It’s beautiful and functional. Not to mention built like a tank.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Great suggestions. A clarification: The Reylight Pineapple I saw is a AAA light. Is there a AA as well?

Rick

Noir
Noir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 06/03/2018 - 09:13
Posts: 88
Location: Germany

The AAA light is the Pineapple Mini made from Cu.

The "regular" Pineapple is a AA light made from Brass.

 

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2153
Location: Canada

The AA brass pineapple is a nice light, but you’ll definitely need to use a 14500 in it if you want decent output. On a AA, it only goes to about 90 lumens on max. Okay for indoors, but not much use outside. On a 14500, you get about 4x the output on all levels except moonlight, so it’s decently bright on a lithium-ion cell.

It will eat batteries pretty quick on max, though, and get fairly hot. The Nichia 219 emitter isn’t as efficient as Cree, though it is a really nice tint.

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Found it. Thanks.

Rick

CJ Avlis
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 07/21/2017 - 20:30
Posts: 295
Location: USA

Pete7874 wrote:
rickw12 wrote:
. Gearbest is the only source I’ve found now at $21. That isn’t bad. I’ll give it some more thought.

$16.99 with the currently available coupon code
Sorry, I think that flash sale is over.

One thing to note about UT01 is that some people had problems with the switch not working or not working correctly. Both of mine have been fine. I have a CW one an NW one. I prefer the CW. The NW version is way too warm for my liking.

I got also (1 NW & 1 CW). The NW was/is much warmer than expected. No problems with either switch here.

I got each for $9.99 with a code.Make a request to M4DM4X or FreeMe…they come through many times.

Pretty good little light, and a super bargain @ $10!

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

Thanks for the tip.

Rick

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Unless you use high discharge NIMH AA cells like eneloops or eneloop pros, you’re not going to get “high output” using AA.
Any flashlight that says more than 400 or 500 lumens is either using nimh or li-ion cells to get those numbers.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 634
Location: Miami, Florida
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
zak.wilson wrote:
Zebralight manages around 500 lumens from AA, but I don’t think anybody else is running them nearly that hard. Full output requires an NiMH battery, of course.

+1

The Zebralight SC5w is a great light, by far my favourite 1xAA light. Over 500 lumens, nice tint & beam, fantastic UI. All on a single Eneloop.

It’s a little pricey, but IMO, the Zebralights are well worth it. I have a drawer full of AA lights, but it’s my Zebralights that I end up using 99% of the time.

That light is meant to run on one specific battery and one battery only—an Eneloop Pro, or its rebadged equivalents.

You’re not popping in an Energizer AA alkaleak and getting 500LM. Maybe an Energizer Lithium Ultimate, but not a regular jobbie.

Chris

nquinn
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 09/11/2017 - 21:55
Posts: 259
Location: DC
ChrisGarrett wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
zak.wilson wrote:
Zebralight manages around 500 lumens from AA, but I don’t think anybody else is running them nearly that hard. Full output requires an NiMH battery, of course.

+1

The Zebralight SC5w is a great light, by far my favourite 1xAA light. Over 500 lumens, nice tint & beam, fantastic UI. All on a single Eneloop.

It’s a little pricey, but IMO, the Zebralights are well worth it. I have a drawer full of AA lights, but it’s my Zebralights that I end up using 99% of the time.

That light is meant to run on one specific battery and one battery only—an Eneloop Pro, or its rebadged equivalents.

You’re not popping in an Energizer AA alkaleak and getting 500LM. Maybe an Energizer Lithium Ultimate, but not a regular jobbie.

Chris

I’m still impressed any 1.2v NiMH battery can hit 500 lumens. I thought most were in the 200 range and 14500’s were needed to hit 500-600. Sounds like Zebra has some way to get more of of the eneloops.

WillyD
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/10/2012 - 15:55
Posts: 783
Location: Ohio

Hey rick, I recently reviewed the Rofis R2. Heck of a light. I got around 240 on AA alkaline and about 700 lm with the included 14500. Built in charger as well. I actually run mine with a AA.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60643

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 634
Location: Miami, Florida
nquinn wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
zak.wilson wrote:
Zebralight manages around 500 lumens from AA, but I don’t think anybody else is running them nearly that hard. Full output requires an NiMH battery, of course.

+1

The Zebralight SC5w is a great light, by far my favourite 1xAA light. Over 500 lumens, nice tint & beam, fantastic UI. All on a single Eneloop.

It’s a little pricey, but IMO, the Zebralights are well worth it. I have a drawer full of AA lights, but it’s my Zebralights that I end up using 99% of the time.

That light is meant to run on one specific battery and one battery only—an Eneloop Pro, or its rebadged equivalents.

You’re not popping in an Energizer AA alkaleak and getting 500LM. Maybe an Energizer Lithium Ultimate, but not a regular jobbie.

Chris

I’m still impressed any 1.2v NiMH battery can hit 500 lumens. I thought most were in the 200 range and 14500’s were needed to hit 500-600. Sounds like Zebra has some way to get more of of the eneloops.

They spec 5A and the Eneloop Pro (and equivalents) can handle that for limited runtimes.

You’re not getting long runtimes at that current, but it’s better than anything an alkaleak can handle at that draw.

Chris

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I’ve used eneloops (not pro) at 10 amps.
Alkalines just voltage drop and deliver unusable currents, even brand new energizers.

rickw12
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2018 - 13:03
Posts: 183
Location: United States

So it looks like I’m not going to do much better lumens wise than the Thorfire TK05 if I’m going to use AA’s (I haven’t tried Eneloops or Everready lithiums in it to see what they do). So I think I found out what I needed to know. I’ll check out some of the lights mentioned above for their UI’s and other features.

Rick

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

You always have the option of finding lights that take more than two AA cells?
Or AAA?

Led lenser has a bunch around 300-400 lumens that run on AA or AAA.
Since they’re focusing TIR optics they basically have the throw of a 1000lm flashlight and the spill brightness of a 1000lm flashlight, just not both at the same time.

Phlogiston
Phlogiston's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/27/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 920
Location: Scotland

Note that the maximum rated current for an Energizer Lithium AA in continuous operation is 2.5A (PDF datasheet ), so using them in a Zebralight drawing 5A is dangerously out of spec.

Stick to quality NiMH cells like Eneloops or Fujitsu LSD.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2153
Location: Canada
ChrisGarrett wrote:
nquinn wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
zak.wilson wrote:
Zebralight manages around 500 lumens from AA, but I don’t think anybody else is running them nearly that hard. Full output requires an NiMH battery, of course.

+1

The Zebralight SC5w is a great light, by far my favourite 1xAA light. Over 500 lumens, nice tint & beam, fantastic UI. All on a single Eneloop.

It’s a little pricey, but IMO, the Zebralights are well worth it. I have a drawer full of AA lights, but it’s my Zebralights that I end up using 99% of the time.

That light is meant to run on one specific battery and one battery only—an Eneloop Pro, or its rebadged equivalents.

You’re not popping in an Energizer AA alkaleak and getting 500LM. Maybe an Energizer Lithium Ultimate, but not a regular jobbie.

Chris

I’m still impressed any 1.2v NiMH battery can hit 500 lumens. I thought most were in the 200 range and 14500’s were needed to hit 500-600. Sounds like Zebra has some way to get more of of the eneloops.

They spec 5A and the Eneloop Pro (and equivalents) can handle that for limited runtimes.

You’re not getting long runtimes at that current, but it’s better than anything an alkaleak can handle at that draw.

Chris

You don’t need an Eneloop Pro for the Zebralight SC5w. I use regular Eneloops, and they work just fine. It will put out 500 lumens on a regular Eneloop for about 20-25 minutes. Cumulative run-time on 500 lumens, because you have to step the light back up to 500 lumens every 3 minutes. You have to do that test with a fan, or the light would get too hot.

You obviously get much better runtimes and efficiency on lower modes, but it’s nice to have 500 lumens when you need it.

As for other brands than Eneloop, they probably work fine as well, as long as they’re based on the same tech. There are lots of Eneloop clones. I’ve never used any of them personally, but many people swear they are identical.

Alkalines won’t get you the 500 lumen output, of course. Stick to 100 lumen lights if you require alkaleaks, or just never use the higher modes on brighter lights.

Pages