(prototype) the GT Mini

1581 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lonelydad
Lonelydad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/09/2016 - 00:14
Posts: 191
Location: Western Iowa, USofA

alex64 wrote:
Received the replacement from Banggood (complete flashlight) and this works excellent. I tried more than 60 clicks and did not miss any. Good customer service of Banggood.

Must be nice. I gave up on getting them to send me a NW instead of the CW they sent. Their attitude was basically “the flashlight works, what is the problem?”

You don't really need a parachute to skydive. But you DO need one if you want to skydive twice!

hodor
Online
Last seen: 2 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 245
Location: UK

I’m getting fed up with them as well, please tell us know how you worked your magic.

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest
Quote:
Anyone else having any type GT Mini switch problems besides the people I mentioned above??

Hi, I got a GT Mini as BD present from a commercial source. Love the light, it’s smart, bright and tiny, but it seems button issues went to production. It requires quite a pressure and this force needs to be applied through a thick rubber. Something like bicycling in deep sand. Even if it clicked it’s not sure it got the command. With randomized sensitivity to button clicks modes part settings and use is more than challange. I’m not complaining, I’m amazed by the efforts and results in community flashlight world, this is just a respectful feedback.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10539
Location: Houston Texas
editor wrote:
Quote:
Anyone else having any type GT Mini switch problems besides the people I mentioned above??

Hi, I got a GT Mini as BD present from a commercial source. Love the light, it’s smart, bright and tiny, but it seems button issues went to production. It requires quite a pressure and this force needs to be applied through a thick rubber. Something like bicycling in deep sand. Even if it clicked it’s not sure it got the command. With randomized sensitivity to button clicks modes part settings and use is more than challange. I’m not complaining, I’m amazed by the efforts and results in community flashlight world, this is just a respectful feedback.


Is your rubber switch cover aligned properly or crooked?
editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest

JasonWW wrote:

Is your rubber switch cover aligned properly or crooked?

The smiley head is slightly tilted right and the bunny on the tube is not fully aligned with the button. Approx five degrees. Does it make a difference?
teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 8702
Location: NE & SW Alabama

The bunny on the tube makes no difference.

The switch might… although it it not that far off.

Try pinching the rubber boot & pulling up on it a bit.. then let go & see if that helps.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10539
Location: Houston Texas

editor wrote:

JasonWW wrote:

Is your rubber switch cover aligned properly or crooked?

The smiley head is slightly tilted right and the bunny on the tube is not fully aligned with the button. Approx five degrees. Does it make a difference?

I can’t see your pic, but it should look like this.


(By Lock)

Some people report a mushy feel if it’s slightly rotated.

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest

teacher wrote:
The bunny on the tube makes no difference.

The switch might… although it it not that far off.

Try pinching the rubber boot & pulling up on it a bit.. then let go & see if that helps.

Thank you for your help teacher, I appreciate it much. Tried what you said, I could grab the cap with my nails quite well and tried to adjust some. There were both misses and doubles since. The sings that suspect the controller is that sometimes clicking the count of required mode and it sticks in the first. A second or two later the light steps up but not the exact mode I clicked. I also experienced an event more times when lowest mode turns on and turns off a second or two later when I don’t even hold the light any more.

My experiences are after successfully resetting the light, swapping to modes and selecting mode 9.

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest
JasonWW wrote:
I can’t see your pic, but it should look like this.

Sorry for the pic, I’m new here don’t know where’s my mistake. The pic is in this shared Google album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ny4gAU8oNvY9uFzB8

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10539
Location: Houston Texas

Here is what the back of the rubber switch looks like.

The switch on the driver is rectangular. If this gets rotated it might just be pushing on the edge of the switch which could lead to unpredictable results.

If nothing you try fixes it, contact who you bought it from to see about getting a replacement head.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10539
Location: Houston Texas
editor wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
I can’t see your pic, but it should look like this.

Sorry for the pic, I’m new here don’t know where’s my mistake. The pic is in this shared Google album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ny4gAU8oNvY9uFzB8


Google hosted images are hit and miss. Sometimes they show up and sometimes they don’t.

Your switch doesn’t seem to be rotated too much. I’d still try to straighten it and see if that has any effect.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 8702
Location: NE & SW Alabama

editor wrote:
teacher wrote:
The bunny on the tube makes no difference.

The switch might… although it it not that far off.

Try pinching the rubber boot & pulling up on it a bit.. then let go & see if that helps.

Thank you for your help teacher, I appreciate it much. Tried what you said, I could grab the cap with my nails quite well and tried to adjust some. There were both misses and doubles since. The sings that suspect the controller is that sometimes clicking the count of required mode and it sticks in the first. A second or two later the light steps up but not the exact mode I clicked. I also experienced an event more times when lowest mode turns on and turns off a second or two later when I don’t even hold the light any more.

My experiences are after successfully resetting the light, swapping to modes and selecting mode 9.

Sure thing editor, sorry it didn’t help. And FYI, I can see your picture. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest

JasonWW wrote:
Here is what the back of the rubber switch looks like.

The switch on the driver is rectangular. If this gets rotated it might just be pushing on the edge of the switch which could lead to unpredictable results.

Thank you for the picture! Can that rubber be pulled all the way out from the outside when the light is assembled without damaging it?

JasonWW wrote:
If nothing you try fixes it, contact who you bought it from to see about getting a replacement head.

I did not buy the light, I received it as birthday present. The last thing I would do is bothering the person being kind to bring me present on my birthday to have it fixed or replaced. No idea where he ordered from, best guess is Banggod, but who knows. He wanted to make me happy, I won’t go back to say I’m not. At least ramping mode doesn’t care much about missed clicks and doesn’t produce random behavior.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10539
Location: Houston Texas

editor wrote:

Can that rubber be pulled all the way out from the outside when the light is assembled without damaging it?

Maybe. The retaining ring is a press fit squishing the rubber edge to make it water tight. Sometimes it’s not super tight and it can rotate. If you do pull it out, you can probably pry out the retaining ring to reinstall everything. I have not tried this personally.

(My picture is from the ODF30. It’s the same basic switch boot as the GT Mini)

Here is a picture where someone removed the switch boot on their GT Mini. I was showing them how to pry the retaining ring up.

Here is the whole conversation.
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1366531#comment-1366531

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest

JasonWW wrote:

Maybe. The retaining ring is a press fit squishing the rubber edge to make it water tight. Sometimes it’s not super tight and it can rotate. If you do pull it out, you can probably pry out the retaining ring to reinstall everything. I have not tried this personally.

Here is the whole conversation.
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1366531#comment-1366531


Thank you so much for your kindness, this is more than informative. I’m afraid I daren’t risk to tear the rubber cap apart or void the tightness. My other experiences with this light suggest that controller may also struggle with challanges, the occasional delayed operation and surprising behavior suggest that. Most probably I let the light as it is. It functions in ramping mode and missed clicks / malfunctions can’t cause me tactical disadvantage :-). It’s my first Lumintop light and first experience with a button not promptly responding and not reliably. My bow to BLF developers and fans is honest, still I’m not sure I became a Lumintop fan.
BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 4176
Location: Canada

It’s really sad actually.

All the problems come down to the switch actually.

Everything was fixed on my GT Mini just by rotating the switch cover… but this shouldn’t be a problem on a stock sold light.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64047
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest

BlueSwordM wrote:
It’s really sad actually.

All the problems come down to the switch actually.

Everything was fixed on my GT Mini just by rotating the switch cover… but this shouldn’t be a problem on a stock sold light.


I’m not sure it’s all about the switch. There are few strange experiences:
  • In Modes from standby I click once. Moonlight comes up, switch flashes three times and the light goes off. Sometimes it does this way, sometimes it turns on.
  • In Modes from standby I triple click – seems like nothing happened. Looking on the led, it’s in moonlight and before I could turn away it burns my eyes.

So delayed, sudden and surprising answers coming from the light in Modes.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 19874
Location: Heart of Texas

The D shaped boot activation pad is catching on the side of the driver, delivering an unusual pressure that may stay applied for a short time after you click resulting in the driver “thinking” a different action was required from what you intended. The boot needs to be rotated slightly so that the flat top side of the D shape can clear the driver, you should have no problems after that.

You can probably use a sharp wood chisel to slightly raise the retaining ring, bump the chisel in slightly from each side to give some wiggle room for the boot, then align it. Try it in action and see if it is fixed, if so, tap the retaining ring back in. Wink

editor
editor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/19/2019 - 12:58
Posts: 8
Location: Budapest

DB Custom wrote:
The D shaped boot activation pad is catching on the side of the driver, delivering an unusual pressure that may stay applied for a short time after you click resulting in the driver “thinking” a different action was required from what you intended. The boot needs to be rotated slightly so that the flat top side of the D shape can clear the driver, you should have no problems after that.

You can probably use a sharp wood chisel to slightly raise the retaining ring, bump the chisel in slightly from each side to give some wiggle room for the boot, then align it. Try it in action and see if it is fixed, if so, tap the retaining ring back in. Wink


Thank you Dale, perhaps I’ll do it once. Not in the next two weeks for sure.
hodor
Online
Last seen: 2 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 245
Location: UK

Are there any aftermarket boots which fit?

Pages