The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is here! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw! Group buy Closed!

2818 posts / 0 new
Last post
square74
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/06/2014 - 03:13
Posts: 125
Location: Germany

Quote:
square74 wrote:
I´m very late, but would it be possible to design a battery tube and carriers for 20700 / 21700 batteries.
Original tube is very thick-walled. So a thinner wall would maybe enable a bigger inner diameter of tube…

For 20700 cells you’d need to increase the inner diameter 5mm and 21700 would need 7mm. I don’t think there is any way they could do this without redesigning the lower head plus making a new battery tube, carriers and tail cap. I don’t see them doing this.

Thanks…
Maybe I would like to use LiPos instead of 18650er LiIons.
I´ve ordered a short tube, and a colleague has drilled me some coupler.
He will drill me also a coupler/extension which I can screw between short tube and original (long) tube.
So I will get a 300mm Tube…

Maybe he can drill a new tube for me and some adapter…
Original has about 46mm inner diameter.
New should have +7 = 53mm. With an 55×5Tube it should work… only flight of fancy… ;).

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

square74 wrote:
Quote:
They have most of the remaining GT70 and conversion kit orders packed but they need some time to sort out all the orders, they are worried about making mistakes on the shipping so they hope to get them shipped next week.

I would prefer this then them rush out the door and possibly have problems so I was not that upset about the delay.

That sounds great.

Hope both packages (conversion kit and batterie carriers) will be shipped.

My light is still waiting for upgrade…

I´m very late, but would it be possible to design a battery tube and carriers for 20700 / 21700 batteries.
Original tube is very thick-walled. So a thinner wall would maybe enable a bigger inner diameter of tube…

This light will remain 18650 but there is another light in the works that I have been debating between 21mm and 18mm cells.

My biggest worry is that the 21mm cells will make the battery tube too thick for some to easily grip. I have large hands and find the current GT grip comfortable but much larger and it would quickly become hard to hold for any length of time.

I figure those with smaller hands could already be at the point of hard to hold as is.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2370
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

Texas_Ace wrote:

This light will remain 18650 but there is another light in the works that I have been debating between 21mm and 18mm cells.

My biggest worry is that the 21mm cells will make the battery tube too thick for some to easily grip. I have large hands and find the current GT grip comfortable but much larger and it would quickly become hard to hold for any length of time.

I figure those with smaller hands could already be at the point of hard to hold as is.


Maybe with the next one they can make a factory handle which is removable easily with one screw if don’t need.
Or put in a fan as Acebeam Big Smile (Sorry…Just kidding Wink )
SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3280
Location: US

ZozzV6 wrote:
Texas_Ace wrote:

This light will remain 18650 but there is another light in the works that I have been debating between 21mm and 18mm cells.

My biggest worry is that the 21mm cells will make the battery tube too thick for some to easily grip. I have large hands and find the current GT grip comfortable but much larger and it would quickly become hard to hold for any length of time.

I figure those with smaller hands could already be at the point of hard to hold as is.


Maybe with the next one they can make a factory handle which is removable easily with one screw if don’t need.
Or put in a fan as Acebeam Big Smile (Sorry…Just kidding Wink )

Putting an Acebeam type fan would not be a bad idea. It should be relatively cheap to make and gives us an affordable option for active cooling. I wouldn’t mind 4×20700 or 8×20700 cells. People seem to be ok with the Imalent MS12 and R90C.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2088
Location: United states

Next blf gt should be in 4 × 20700 and 8 × 20700 tubes., skv is right.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2370
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

Newlumen wrote:
Next blf gt should be in 4 × 20700 and 8 × 20700 tubes., skv is right.

Then jump right to 21700. You can fit 20700 if you have that but you can’t fit a 21700 to a 20700 space. Either way it is too thick to hold the tube in hand so why not?
teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

I’m with TA, the battery tube is big enough with 4 × 18650. I have big hands too & bigger is just not practical IMO.

BUT, if the powers that be decide to make the jump….. no sense in jumping halfway. Jump all the way and go with 21700. Might as well… both 20700 & 21700 are to big, so might as well go all out so the carriers could hold either one.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

Brainsick67
Brainsick67's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 06/09/2018 - 18:53
Posts: 328
Location: United States

I cant even hold it with my hands really, i use the strap, so 21700 would be fine..also its so heavy..i dont knoe who could hold it for a long time.

I'm ThatCrazyFlashaholic 67

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

I will keep all of these comments in mind on the 21700, I am smack in the middle and don’t know what to do about the cells on this future light. I can see both sides.

Also, I might not be around for awhile due to a lightning strike on the ATT hub for the whole north Texas area:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/att/2018/10/15/att-working-internet-...

I will try to catch up when my internet is restored.

Brainsick67
Brainsick67's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 06/09/2018 - 18:53
Posts: 328
Location: United States

Bigger relector would be sweet.

I'm ThatCrazyFlashaholic 67

johny723
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 06/08/2014 - 08:48
Posts: 384
Location: slovakia

What is the energy density of current cell formats? Which one gives the best ratio of energy stored considering its volume? We could always go bigger than 21700, it is already too big for normal use. Why not 26650 or even 32650 cells?

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2370
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

Texas_Ace wrote:
I will keep all of these comments in mind on the 21700, I am smack in the middle and don’t know what to do about the cells on this future light. I can see both sides.

If it needs a lot of power it need to go big and some 21700 has unbeatable high drain current now.
ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2370
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

johny723 wrote:
What is the energy density of current cell formats? Which one gives the best ratio of energy stored considering its volume? We could always go bigger than 21700, it is already too big for normal use. Why not 26650 or even 32650 cells?

26650 and 32650 are much less energy density because no big manufacturers making them like LG or samsung…..ETC. But 21700 is pushing hard now.
SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3280
Location: US
johny723 wrote:
What is the energy density of current cell formats? Which one gives the best ratio of energy stored considering its volume? We could always go bigger than 21700, it is already too big for normal use. Why not 26650 or even 32650 cells?

Best 20700 is the Sanyo 20700B at 4000mah and 15A, while the best 21700 is the Sanyo 21700 5000mah 15A. Not sure what density that equates to.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2370
Location: Near to my soldering iron.
SKV89 wrote:
johny723 wrote:
What is the energy density of current cell formats? Which one gives the best ratio of energy stored considering its volume? We could always go bigger than 21700, it is already too big for normal use. Why not 26650 or even 32650 cells?

Best 20700 is the Sanyo 20700B at 4000mah and 15A, while the best 21700 is the Sanyo 21700 5000mah 15A. Not sure what density that equates to.


But for a very high power flashlight it more important how big current a battery can put out continuously, than how big capacity it has. If it only has 4000 mAh but can push 40A current I’m more happy Big Smile
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 24 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11898
Location: Houston Texas

The best versions (made by the big companies) of the 18650, 20700 and 21700 all have the same energy density (within a few percent) because it is only the container size that is changing.

32650 are very low in density as not many companies devote time to them.

The 26650 is a bit different. None of the big companies make this size, but the energy density seems to vary depending on the chemical mix. If your looking for high drain/low capacity, there are versions that are comparible to 18650, 20700 and 21700. You would need to look at the Golisi 4300, iJoy 4200, Shockli 4300, etc…

When it comes to high capacity/low drain, the 26650 has not been able to match the smaller sized cells made by the big campanies. The closest is the PLB battery sold as the Shockli 5500 and KeepPower 6000.

Here is a handy list of battery configurations and the inner diameter needed to fit them.

4 × 18650 = 44mm
3 × 21700 = 46mm
4 × 20700 = 49mm
5 × 18650 = 49mm
4 × 21700 = 51mm
3 × 26650 = 57mm

Container sizes (roughly):
1 × 26650 = 2 × 18650
1 × 21700 = 1.5 × 18650

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

I am watching the 21700 discussion closely. A strap would be required if that change was made to the new light.

Also, a quick recap on the KD XHP70.2 80CRI LED’s from a page ago. With my internet being down I went ahead and put together my MT09R with those LED’s and I am very impressed. The tint is great and output is good as well.

Compared side by side with the 80CRI LED’s I have been using the lumens are around 10% lower it seems (most likely they do not have the same silly low vF).

The tint if anything is a little better then the LED’s I have been using, very minor difference and most likely would not notice it unless you had them side by side but the KD LED is a little rosier.

Overall I would run either of them without a problem, the choice os slightly more lumens or slightly rosier tint is not enough for me to worry about.

Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1051
Location: NE ATL

1 month of someone else holding $55 of mine. What’s another month? Tired

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Yourrid wrote:
1 month of someone else holding $55 of mine. What’s another month? Tired

Sorry about that delay, they did not expect the delay with the NW emitters and they had planned to get everything finished before the week long holiday.

The emitter delay threw a wrench in everything and they are just now getting caught up.

Had I know this I would of told them to not list the conversion kits until now but retrospect is 20/20.

Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1051
Location: NE ATL

Any news on the CW conversion kits?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Yourrid wrote:
Any news on the CW conversion kits?

All of the conversion kits are shipping together.

The last update I got was that they had most outstanding orders packed but needed a few days to sort all of the order details out to make sure there were no mistakes. They should be shipping out this week.

beastlykings
beastlykings's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/29/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 193
Location: Michigan, USA
shirnask wrote:
For those wanting a different NW emitter Kaidomain has these….” XHP70.2 80CRI 4000k N2 bin”:http://kaidomain.com/Cree-XHP70_2-N2-5A-Neutral-White-4000K-CRI80-LED-Emitter?page=4

Thanks for the link! Ordered! I’m gonna try my hand at dedoming, and I was hoping to have a backup in case I ruin the first one. 4000k is more my taste anyway.

Edit: I just remembered dedoming will make it even more warm.. hmm. Oh well, we’ll see what happens and go from there.

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1080
Location: Louisiana

Texas_Ace wrote:
I am watching the 21700 discussion closely. A strap would be required if that change was made to the new light.

Also, a quick recap on the KD XHP70.2 80CRI LED’s from a page ago. With my internet being down I went ahead and put together my MT09R with those LED’s and I am very impressed. The tint is great and output is good as well.

Compared side by side with the 80CRI LED’s I have been using the lumens are around 10% lower it seems (most likely they do not have the same silly low vF).

The tint if anything is a little better then the LED’s I have been using, very minor difference and most likely would not notice it unless you had them side by side but the KD LED is a little rosier.

Overall I would run either of them without a problem, the choice os slightly more lumens or slightly rosier tint is not enough for me to worry about.

Thanks for the update – I think this makes this the best choice available for 4000K at the moment

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3280
Location: US

Texas_Ace wrote:
I am watching the 21700 discussion closely. A strap would be required if that change was made to the new light.

Also, a quick recap on the KD XHP70.2 80CRI LED’s from a page ago. With my internet being down I went ahead and put together my MT09R with those LED’s and I am very impressed. The tint is great and output is good as well.

Compared side by side with the 80CRI LED’s I have been using the lumens are around 10% lower it seems (most likely they do not have the same silly low vF).

The tint if anything is a little better then the LED’s I have been using, very minor difference and most likely would not notice it unless you had them side by side but the KD LED is a little rosier.

Overall I would run either of them without a problem, the choice os slightly more lumens or slightly rosier tint is not enough for me to worry about.

Great thanks for the info! I think eventhough it doesn’t have the silly low vF for max output, it is at least 10% more efficient so longer run time and runs cooler. Good to have this option. Hope you bought it with the 10% coupon code “newgrandkd”. If that doesn’t work anymore, there is still a 5% coupon code “blf”.

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

I’ve had my Cool White BLF GT70 for several weeks now. All I can say is thanks to all involved with it design. I’m more than thrilled with my purchase.

Boycott Nike

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
SKV89 wrote:
Great thanks for the info! I think eventhough it doesn’t have the silly low vF for max output, it is at least 10% more efficient so longer run time and runs cooler. Good to have this option. Hope you bought it with the 10% coupon code “newgrandkd”. If that doesn’t work anymore, there is still a 5% coupon code “blf”.

I remembered the BLF code but did not know about the 10% off code at the time.

Overall I really like this LED and would be perfectly happy using it.

Fate0n3
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/04/2013 - 12:36
Posts: 178
Location: US

Well my GT70 came in today, wow this light is huge especially compared to stuff like the DX80 that I thought was big. NealsGadgets did a killer job with packaging and shipping, def recommend him big time.

Now question does anyone know anyone in the US that sells the light cap? I ordered the bag and forgot the cap

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8569
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Only place I know of to get the cap is Neal or lumintop

species8472
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 10/08/2017 - 04:06
Posts: 80
Location: Snowbelt, Pennsylvania

Sites that sell camera equipment like Adorama or BHphotovideo sell similar ones. Search for Op/tech hood hat xx-large. They are excellent quality and are made in the USA.

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1439
Location: Germany

Stuff I noted for the GT

Quote:
Op/Tech Hood Head
Neoprene Objektiv-Abdeckung, Cover
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref%3Dnb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&fi...

LensCoat Hoodies
(a better alternative to Op/Techs.)
Has a front disc in a pouch. It offers much better impact protection, fits better, and the rigid front keeps the hood from slipping around.
The XXL size fits better than the XL for the GT
https://www.amazon.com/LensCoat-LCH2XLBK-Hoodie-Large-Black/dp/B0087N28Y8/
Q:
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1262819#comment-1262819 (around this post)

Lens Cap from the kitchen
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1248124#comment-1248124

GT accessories
Neal will have a lense cover and a bag.
Feeler thread
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/58260

Cap from Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R9BN/

Pages