New Black Convoy C8+

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 365
Location: Europe
New Black Convoy C8+

May be most of you have already noticed that Convoy C8+ has black color version.
Here is the link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Black-Convoy-C8-with-XPL-HI-LED...
Actually looks very nice.

Edited by: Tangra on 08/09/2018 - 17:15
Macka17
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/08/2017 - 02:31
Posts: 215
Location: Queensland Australia

How many C8 “versions” are there on market now.
I’ve got 3 myself. NICE. But At up to and over. $30 USD a pop currently, for a $15 light. They getting a little over the top.

When you add them all up Head size. Drop ins. body length/dia. 26650 are “really” the only NEW versions.
all the others are just different tooling on same old. same old. Basic body.
With varying cree chips/drivers inside.
Un/fortunately. Size Shape, and power wise. They close to ideal.
Below them are water pipe shape IE- NO shape.
Above them get to be bulkier and. Needing the beam/outputs Getting a fair bit bigger in head sizes
and body length/dia..

I need somebody to show me a “improved” version of my Imalent DN35.
with beam/range, spread. of a L6 with throw of that Giga…
or one of it’s mates. with a 2 x battery body length.

Offers?.

blueb8llz
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2012 - 01:16
Posts: 2766
Location: California

Besides cosmetics, is there any improvement with performance?

BurningPlayd0h
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 16
Location: MN

This has Biscotti and a few improvements like the board and lens which the product page mentions. Body styling is different – better IMO – but I doubt it actually handles heat any better because of that.

The Astrolux version has a noticeable bump in output (its got a FET installed IIRC?) and has Bistro UI.

Yeah some of the versions are more expensive but there seems to be at least one of the companies with a sale at any given time, I paid less than $20 for my Astrolux.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 365
Location: Europe

Astrolux C8 has a great perfomance of 1300 lumens and 640 meters throw. If you change driver of Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver you will get same perfomance, more options and new more tactical look of C8+.

Macka17
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 05/08/2017 - 02:31
Posts: 215
Location: Queensland Australia

Is the Astrolux any higher in output than the SOFURN C8T??
That’s my best one at present.

Ultrafire Q5 updated to XM-L2.
Convoy XM-L2 updated to XPL
Was thinking of dropping a triple into the Ultrafire.

BurningPlayd0h
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 16
Location: MN

Macka17 wrote:
Is the Astrolux any higher in output than the SOFURN C8T??
That’s my best one at present.

Ultrafire Q5 updated to XM-L2.
Convoy XM-L2 updated to XPL
Was thinking of dropping a triple into the Ultrafire.

I believe all the Sofirn C8s are regulated but I could be wrong. I know the C8F has higher output but is a triple and obviously not a thrower (uses XHP50 IIRC?)

Tangra wrote:
Astrolux C8 has a great perfomance of 1300 lumens and 640 meters throw. If you change driver of Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver you will get same perfomance, more options and new more tactical look of C8+.

Yup, for me it was just luck that the Astrolux model was on sale. Same price and no work to put in a different driver, normally the $10 higher price vs many other C8s wouldn’t be worth it IMO. The output is higher stock vs stock but nothing mind blowing, just some icing on the cake.

blueb8llz
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2012 - 01:16
Posts: 2766
Location: California

I’m very happy with the 8×7135 on the original convoy xplHi version.
Even the 8×7135 xml2 version is still nice to me.
My astrolux c8 xplHi is the brightest and furthest throwing though.
If the new c8+ has the same fet driver as the astrolux, it would be a winner.

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 868
Location: Foley, MO

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Macka17 wrote:
Is the Astrolux any higher in output than the SOFURN C8T??
That’s my best one at present.

Ultrafire Q5 updated to XM-L2.
Convoy XM-L2 updated to XPL
Was thinking of dropping a triple into the Ultrafire.

I believe all the Sofirn C8s are regulated but I could be wrong. I know the C8F has higher output but is a triple and obviously not a thrower (uses XHP50 IIRC?)

Tangra wrote:
Astrolux C8 has a great perfomance of 1300 lumens and 640 meters throw. If you change driver of Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver you will get same perfomance, more options and new more tactical look of C8+.

Yup, for me it was just luck that the Astrolux model was on sale. Same price and no work to put in a different driver, normally the $10 higher price vs many other C8s wouldn’t be worth it IMO. The output is higher stock vs stock but nothing mind blowing, just some icing on the cake.

I will let other folks chime in on C8 vs C8. But I can tell you dollar for dollar the Sofirn and Thorfire provide a better bang for the buck than Convoy does. No the C8F does not use XHP50’s. The C8A by Sofirn does 1700+ with a XPL2 and the C8F does the 2580 with XPL’s as well. They may be regulated or not, not really sure but I think they provide a better light with the same modding capabilities. Not to mention unless you get a driver that you aren’t going to replace and you get a C8 from Convoy that is the 3/5 mode driver, you won’t like it. x8 with Biscotti is livable at best. Get a C8F from Sofirn or a Kaidomain. Better leave and let be C8’s.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 365
Location: Europe

I prefer Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver on following reasons:

– I want to start flashlight any time on max level. Ok, I can do this with Convoy C8+ drver, but here is second reason;

– I want to have maximum throw from my C8+. Yes, if I want more, I have to change led also, but it is much difficult than just swap driver;

– I want to have most tactical look of my C8. It means Convoy C8+ design;

– I want to have maximum output from my battery. So again, I have to use BLF FET drivers;

– I want to have neutral to warm tint. Convoy C8+ offer this.
That is why, for me Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver is best solution.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 811
Location: Manila, Philippines
Tangra wrote:

I prefer Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver on following reasons:


– I want to start flashlight any time on max level. Ok, I can do this with Convoy C8+ drver, but here is second reason;


– I want to have maximum throw from my C8+. Yes, if I want more, I have to change led also, but it is much difficult than just swap driver;


– I want to have most tactical look of my C8. It means Convoy C8+ design;


– I want to have maximum output from my battery. So again, I have to use BLF FET drivers;


– I want to have neutral to warm tint. Convoy C8+ offer this.
That is why, for me Convoy C8+ with BLF X5/X6 driver is best solution.

Just curious, is changing the C8+ from its default Biscotti to the BLF X5/X6 driver just require purchasing the “BLF X5/X6 driver” Banggood, then unsolder the old driver and just re-solder the new BLF X5/X6 driver? Or are there other changes that may need to be done?

How difficult or easy is it to change the driver?

Another question, can I transplant the Biscotti driver from the C8+ and use it on a Convoy S2+ (which still has the old 5/3-mode groups) driver; or is the board a different size?

Nooner
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2017 - 09:42
Posts: 97
Location: Canada

I have a question.

Has anyone tried fitting the C8+ lens bezel to the regular C8 head? (Do the threads match? Does it screw all the way down/seat properly.)

I still prefer the old C8 design. But I kinda like the more square look of the C8+ bezel.

Thanks.

Tangra
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2016 - 05:33
Posts: 365
Location: Europe
d_t_a wrote:
Tangra wrote:
>

Just curious, is changing the C8+ from its default Biscotti to the BLF X5/X6 driver just require purchasing the “BLF X5/X6 driver” Banggood, then unsolder the old driver and just re-solder the new BLF X5/X6 driver? Or are there other changes that may need to be done?

How difficult or easy is it to change the driver?

Another question, can I transplant the Biscotti driver from the C8+ and use it on a Convoy S2+ (which still has the old 5/3-mode groups) driver; or is the board a different size?

Just curious, is changing the C8+ from its default Biscotti to the BLF X5/X6 driver just require purchasing the “BLF X5/X6 driver” Banggood, then unsolder the old driver and just re-solder the new BLF X5/X6 driver? – YES.
Or are there other changes that may need to be done? – NO
How difficult or easy is it to change the driver? – It is easy if you can solder.
Another question, can I transplant the Biscotti driver from the C8+ and use it on a Convoy S2+ (which still has the old 5/3-mode groups) driver; or is the board a different size? – Yes, you can. Drivers are same size

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 71

I have an Astrolux C8, but I’d welcome if someone offered a modified BLF driver for sale that has an extended timed interval for the Turbo mode.

I suspect a C8 can easily handle more than the 45 sec. that the stock driver is set to, and many probably don’t have enough of an interest in flashing their own driver.

nkresho
nkresho's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 11/26/2017 - 20:36
Posts: 119
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 71

Cool. Thanks; I’ve only glanced at ME’s site, but glad to see that option is there for the future.