Fireflies ROT66 Flashlight

949 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163

ToyKeeper wrote:

It’ll get more confusing when we get drivers with 16-bit PWM counters.

Why are you still messing with cr@ppy 8 pin MCUS ?

The days of DIY, or shabby “commercial” manufacturing, maybe with a hotplate or toaster oven, are surely over.

Sorry but this is reality.

Prove me wrong., please.

twisted raven
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 11:10
Posts: 333
Location: texas

Re-calibrated the temperature sensor to be more accurate once the light was cold. The factory setting was still a good 7-8c off though.

eas
eas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 07/14/2014 - 18:53
Posts: 1354
Location: PNW

Tom Tom wrote:

Why are you still messing with cr@ppy 8 pin MCUS ?

The days of DIY, or shabby “commercial” manufacturing, maybe with a hotplate or toaster oven, are surely over.

Sorry but this is reality.

Prove me wrong., please.

The proof that you are wrong is right in front of you, if you could only be bothered to open your eyes and look.

.

spaceminions
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/20/2015 - 14:18
Posts: 149
Location: Texas, USA

Tom Tom wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:

It’ll get more confusing when we get drivers with 16-bit PWM counters.

Why are you still messing with cr@ppy 8 pin MCUS ?

The days of DIY, or shabby “commercial” manufacturing, maybe with a hotplate or toaster oven, are surely over.

Sorry but this is reality.

Prove me wrong., please.


I can’t say why these specifically, but we’re using such basic MCU’s probably because until recently, we weren’t using much of their capabilities. I mean, at one point, as far as I know the norm seemed to be essentially a convoy style Nx7135 single channel 3 or 5 mode light… doesn’t really need much of a chip to control that. Anyway, apart from the limitations we’re starting to have (and, after all – it’s not as if an atmega is gonna fit in a d4) they’re not that bad. Easy to program, for one thing.

Card Carrying CRI baby https://b.thumbs.redditmedia.com/laMC7BGhREfYTRQjYe2I5FMjTF1IjrmM6bPLK9SKEXU.png

 

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 436
Location: USA

My ability to resist finally broke down last night. My wife is probably not going to let me live down buying another light, but oh well. I went with black on the hope she’s less likely to notice it.

I’m really looking forward to my first experiences with Anduril and SW45K ranked emitters. The only other 219B light I have is just R9050 binned, I think.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2176
Location: Canada

iamlucky13 wrote:
My ability to resist finally broke down last night. My wife is probably not going to let me live down buying another light, but oh well. I went with black on the hope she's less likely to notice it. I'm really looking forward to my first experiences with Anduril and SW45K ranked emitters. The only other 219B light I have is just R9050 binned, I think.

 

It will be hard for her not to notice with the lit up auxiliary board!  My wife was drawn to it right away like a magnet.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

klrman wrote:

iamlucky13 wrote:
My ability to resist finally broke down last night. My wife is probably not going to let me live down buying another light, but oh well. I went with black on the hope she’s less likely to notice it. I’m really looking forward to my first experiences with Anduril and SW45K ranked emitters. The only other 219B light I have is just R9050 binned, I think.

It will be hard for her not to notice with the lit up auxiliary board!  My wife was drawn to it right away like a magnet.

So true…. LOL! Big Smile

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 436
Location: USA

klrman wrote:

iamlucky13 wrote:
My ability to resist finally broke down last night. My wife is probably not going to let me live down buying another light, but oh well. I went with black on the hope she's less likely to notice it. I'm really looking forward to my first experiences with Anduril and SW45K ranked emitters. The only other 219B light I have is just R9050 binned, I think.

 

It will be hard for her not to notice with the lit up auxiliary board!  My wife was drawn to it right away like a magnet.

 

I'm still working on my cover story. Maybe if I mod my Convoys with illuminated tailswitches I can confuse her.

 

My fall back would be to distract with a gift, but she's not a jewelry person, so I've got to figure out something else.

 

I keep hoping that if she sees the right copper, brass, anodized titanium, or otherwise fancier lights, she'll catch the bug. So far, it hasn't worked.

contactcr
Online
Last seen: 35 sec ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 1704
Location: US

I got is as a constant reminder of how it looks when I gaze deeply into your beautiful eyes honey.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9298
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

The ROT66 is nice, but it’s not worth giving yourself marital problems. Don’t be deceptive about your purchases… Communication is important.

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 436
Location: USA
ToyKeeper wrote:
The ROT66 is nice, but it’s not worth giving yourself marital problems. Don’t be deceptive about your purchases… Communication is important.

Fear not. I’m joking about the distress over how to explain it to or hide it from my wife.

I do expect to have to endure a 3rd degree eye roll and occasional teasing about an excessive number of flashlights, but both of us make discretionary purchases for ourselves rarely enough that items in this price range are a, “do we have a place to store it?” discussion, rather than a, “can we afford it?” topic. It’s definitely not a matter where reciprocation is demanded, although I would like to think of a comparable gift.

teacher
teacher's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 8763
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Or you cold always use Nev’s approach (from another thread), although I definitely would not recommend it if you want your state of ‘maritial bliss’ to continue very long. Wink
.
Flashlight Collection Downsizing

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1394886#comment-1394886

Nev wrote:
What I’ve got I’m keeping , wifey can f*@k off Big Smile

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2176
Location: Canada

teacher wrote:
Or you cold always use Nev's approach _(from another thread)_, although I definitely *_would not_* recommend it if you want your state of 'maritial bliss' to continue very long. Wink . *Flashlight Collection Downsizing* http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1394886#comment-1394886
Nev wrote:
What I've got I'm keeping , wifey can f*@k off :D

 

Says Nev whilst panically looking over his shoulder to make sure his wife didn't read that 

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1384
Location: mid USA left coast

teacher
teacher's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 8763
Location: NE & SW Alabama

klrman wrote:
Says Nev whilst panically looking over his shoulder to make sure his wife didn’t read that Big Smile
Most likely…… Big Smile .. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

2100
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Well the last time when i bought a super big flashlight as a toy for myself (a 12” diameter HID, some 100W ballasts etc), my wife actually did jokingly “demand” that I get her a Chanel bag for her birthday! FacepalmCash

As for the other flashlights, luckily she thinks that i am paying like 1/3rd-1/5th the price that we are paying, coz as you’d all know we get it online, and online is always way cheaper than retail. Smile

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2176
Location: Canada

2100 wrote:
Well the last time when i bought a super big flashlight as a toy for myself (a 12" diameter HID, some 100W ballasts etc), my wife actually did jokingly "demand" that I get her a Chanel bag for her birthday! FacepalmCash As for the other flashlights, luckily she thinks that i am paying like 1/3rd-1/5th the price that we are paying, coz as you'd all know we get it online, and online is always way cheaper than retail. :)

 

The old "I got it for a steal at 60% off trick"...works every time lol

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10588
Location: Houston Texas

Has anyone had any drain related issues?

So far I’ve heard of 2 different lights that seem to drain the batteries to below 2.5V within several days to a week.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9298
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

JasonWW wrote:
Has anyone had any drain related issues?

So far I’ve heard of 2 different lights that seem to drain the batteries to below 2.5V within several days to a week.

To drain three 3000mAh cells in a week, it would have to be running at about 53 mA. This shouldn’t be possible when the main LEDs are off though, because the MCU can only use about 6 mA by itself, and the aux LEDs can’t use even 1 mA… so the upper bound for those together is about 6 or 7 mA, even if something isn’t working right.

So I’m thinking it’s probably something else, like a metal shaving causing a small short… or something along those lines. But I don’t really know.

Regardless, the first step is to measure. Could you measure the standby power usage with a DMM? I would like to find out how much power it uses, and how that value changes over the first ~30 seconds of standby time. Also would be helpful to see if the value changes at all depending on how the button is pressed.

Also, which firmware is on those lights?

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2176
Location: Canada

Shouldn't LVP kick in before 2.5V?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10588
Location: Houston Texas

klrman wrote:

Shouldn’t LVP kick in before 2.5V?


The drivers LVP only works when the light is on.

The aux leds have their own lvp that should kick in. One of his lights does not have the aux leds so it’s probably running NarsilM. His other light is newer and has the aux leds.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10588
Location: Houston Texas

ToyKeeper wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
Has anyone had any drain related issues?

So far I’ve heard of 2 different lights that seem to drain the batteries to below 2.5V within several days to a week.

To drain three 3000mAh cells in a week, it would have to be running at about 53 mA. This shouldn’t be possible when the main LEDs are off though, because the MCU can only use about 6 mA by itself, and the aux LEDs can’t use even 1 mA… so the upper bound for those together is about 6 or 7 mA, even if something isn’t working right.

So I’m thinking it’s probably something else, like a metal shaving causing a small short… or something along those lines. But I don’t really know.

Regardless, the first step is to measure. Could you measure the standby power usage with a DMM? I would like to find out how much power it uses, and how that value changes over the first ~30 seconds of standby time. Also would be helpful to see if the value changes at all depending on how the button is pressed.

Also, which firmware is on those lights?


It is happening on 2 lights from the same person. I already asked if he could measure the current draw using a single battery, but he doesn’t have the equipment.

I will send you his info in a PM.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2055
Location: United states

JasonWW wrote:
Has anyone had any drain related issues?

So far I’ve heard of 2 different lights that seem to drain the batteries to below 2.5V within several days to a week.

Nope.

Frumious
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/05/2018 - 00:52
Posts: 77

Going back to posts from a couple of days ago….. My light had the flickers at the low end of ramping. I fixed it: The contact between the battery cage and the head had a tiny bit of thread grease on it. Used a Kleenex to clean it. Problem has never returned.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2176
Location: Canada

JasonWW wrote:
Try this video: 6:33-10:13 https://youtu.be/h_mZ35IPLMA?t=6m33s From on, click 4 times, it will flash once, then begin fluttering. You want to click the number of levels (1-150 steps, ignore that the video says 250 steps) that you want the floor and then don't do anything for about 2 seconds. So probably click it 1 (lowest level) to maybe 3 times. This will set the floor or moonlight to 1 of 150, 2 of 150, 3 of 150 etc... Then it will blick twice and begin fluttering again. Now you can set the ceiling. It starts at the highest 150 and you can click the number of steps LESS you want. If you want the ceiling at step 130 of 150 you will click 20 times. Click once to stay at 150. After not doing anything for a few seconds it should blink 3 times and begin fluttering again. Now you click the number of "stepped" levels you want, such as 3 or maybe 6, etc... After not doing anything for 2 seconds it leaves the Config mode.

 

I'm still convinced that something is not right with my ceiling.  I click 4 times, let it flash once and then it flutters, so I set my floor at 1 then after after about 2 seconds I let it blink and then do nothing so that it can set the ceiling to max brightness, but it's still quite a bit less bright than my first rot66.  Is there anyway to go past the ceiling that is set in Anduril?  Or, is there a way that I can get NarsilM into this flashlight and see what happens?  It could be possible that Anduril is somehow limiting max output when compared to NarsilM..... just a guess.

 

I have a light colored marble floor in our hallway and it's great to do a ceiling bounce.  The Anduril rot66 shines the marble floor quite a bit dimmer off the ceiling bounce compared to my NarsilM light.  It's almost as if the wow factor is missing.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10588
Location: Houston Texas

klrman wrote:

JasonWW wrote:
Try this video: 6:33-10:13 https://youtu.be/h_mZ35IPLMA?t=6m33s From on, click 4 times, it will flash once, then begin fluttering. You want to click the number of levels (1-150 steps, ignore that the video says 250 steps) that you want the floor and then don’t do anything for about 2 seconds. So probably click it 1 (lowest level) to maybe 3 times. This will set the floor or moonlight to 1 of 150, 2 of 150, 3 of 150 etc… Then it will blick twice and begin fluttering again. Now you can set the ceiling. It starts at the highest 150 and you can click the number of steps LESS you want. If you want the ceiling at step 130 of 150 you will click 20 times. Click once to stay at 150. After not doing anything for a few seconds it should blink 3 times and begin fluttering again. Now you click the number of “stepped” levels you want, such as 3 or maybe 6, etc… After not doing anything for 2 seconds it leaves the Config mode.

 


I’m still convinced that something is not right with my ceiling.  I click 4 times, let it flash once and then it flutters, so I set my floor at 1 then after after about 2 seconds I let it blink and then do nothing so that it can set the ceiling to max brightness, but it’s still quite a bit less bright than my first rot66.  Is there anyway to go past the ceiling that is set in Anduril?  Or, is there a way that I can get NarsilM into this flashlight and see what happens?  It could be possible that Anduril is somehow limiting max output when compared to NarsilM….. just a guess.


 


I have a light colored marble floor in our hallway and it’s great to do a ceiling bounce.  The Anduril rot66 shines the marble floor quite a bit dimmer off the ceiling bounce compared to my NarsilM light.  It’s almost as if the wow factor is missing.


If you do nothing for the ceiling it does not change. You need to click once to get the max ceiling.

Clicking once for the floor setting will give you the lowest floor. Clicking once for the highest ceiling level will give you maximum ceiling.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9298
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

JasonWW wrote:
It is happening on 2 lights from the same person. I already asked if he could measure the current draw using a single battery, but he doesn’t have the equipment.

I will send you his info in a PM.

I’m kind of wondering if there might be a cell in backward or something. Or maybe a chip on the driver lets current through while it’s off. It’s hard to say.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9298
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
Frumious wrote:
Going back to posts from a couple of days ago….. My light had the flickers at the low end of ramping. I fixed it: The contact between the battery cage and the head had a tiny bit of thread grease on it. Used a Kleenex to clean it. Problem has never returned.

Thanks! That’s useful to know!

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9298
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
klrman wrote:
I let it blink and then do nothing

If you don’t press anything, it won’t change the value. Pressing nothing is how you tell it to leave the values unchanged.

klrman wrote:
Is there anyway to go past the ceiling that is set in Anduril?

Yes. While the light is on, double-click. This bypasses the ceiling and goes to full power.

If you do that and it’s still not as bright, there’s probably a physical issue like dirty contacts or weak batteries or something, instead of a configuration issue.

spaceminions
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/20/2015 - 14:18
Posts: 149
Location: Texas, USA

I tried cleaning the top of the cage, but no luck. Still gets some flicker. Have to look at it this weekend to hypothesize about that.

Card Carrying CRI baby https://b.thumbs.redditmedia.com/laMC7BGhREfYTRQjYe2I5FMjTF1IjrmM6bPLK9SKEXU.png

 

Pages