Help with Sunwayman V11r Mod

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
mili111
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 07/17/2018 - 05:31
Posts: 13
Location: Deutschland
Help with Sunwayman V11r Mod

Hi guys,

im planning to mod my new Sunwayman V11r. The Idea is to put in a Nichia NVSLE21AT LED (sm203) with VR16S1 MCPCB from virence.com. A fellow in TLF germany told me this should work but i have to play safe that the driver of the V11r only run with 2A.

So here are the questions:
1. with how much Ampere does the original diver run
2. does this setup work?
3. do the MCPCB fit into the V11r? I Somewhere read that only 12 mm or less fits.
4. if it doesnt work: anybody has another idea to get a real warm colour in the V11r, preferably with high cri?

Cheers, Michael

Noctiluco
Noctiluco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 42 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2013 - 18:13
Posts: 212
Location: Spain

1. with how much Ampere does the original diver run

500 lumen maximun ANSI (OTF) = +- 530/540 lumen out of emiter = +- 1400 mA for a XM-L2 U2 Those are some very rough estimates.

2. does this setup work?

I have a Sunwayman V10R (original XM-L T6, the same driver that V11R) with a Nichia 219C 4000K, and it work very well

3. do the MCPCB fit into the V11r? I Somewhere read that only 12 mm or less fits.

Yes, máximun PCB 12,5 mm diameter.

4. if it doesnt work: anybody has another idea to get a real warm colour in the V11r, preferably with high cri?

The main problem is to “crack” the head of the flashlight without damage it.
mili111
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 07/17/2018 - 05:31
Posts: 13
Location: Deutschland

Thanks @Noctiluco!

I just saw that the MCPCB is 16mm Sad thats bad…

Other Ideas?^^

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 2745
Location: North Carolina

I have modded several V11R’s and V10R’s. The latest mod I did I went with a LH351D 4000k high Cri in a V10R. I sanded down a 16mm Noctigon board I had that uses a xpg size footprint (3535). Several years ago I had already swapped out the led to a Nichia 219b 4500k high Cri and that was what was in it. I gained about 100 lumens just from switching to the LH351D. Produces, in my opinion a very nice beam.
.
Might be a option if your interested.
.
If you have not cracked open the light yet there is several methods used, you can use the search to find them.
This might also help with the packing grease. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24407

mili111
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 07/17/2018 - 05:31
Posts: 13
Location: Deutschland

Thanks for the Link @moderator007! Helps a lot.

Can i sand down a board this easy? I was scared to destroy something …

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 2745
Location: North Carolina

https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xp16-v2-copper-mcpcb-2pcs-p-712.html?z...
Yes those boards sand down pretty easy with a belt sander. They are also thicker than the original that will need sanded down.
It’s a lot of work but you end up with a copper custom fit PCB board. For the connections just scratch of more of the trace (red masking) revealing the copper underneath.
Better pic here. http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=94
Mtn also has a 10mm board that could possible work, I have never tried that personally.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63_65...
It probably will have to be thinned some as it looks thicker than original also.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 777
Location: Netherlands

Question for the sunwayman modders. Are the walls of the battery tube thick enough to machine it to 18350?

I have a V11R on the slowboat and that is one of the mods I have in mind.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2475
Location: France, Angers

Geuzzz wrote:
Question for the sunwayman modders. Are the walls of the battery tube thick enough to machine it to 18350?

I have a V11R on the slowboat and that is one of the mods I have in mind.


Anyone ?
I was wondering the same

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 53 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1648
Location: Foley, MO

X3 wrote:
Geuzzz wrote:
Question for the sunwayman modders. Are the walls of the battery tube thick enough to machine it to 18350?

I have a V11R on the slowboat and that is one of the mods I have in mind.


Anyone ?
I was wondering the same

Don’t remember if I saw it in the Ebay V11R thread or somewhere else but, someone mentioned it was possible but you had better be bullseye precise at boring the tube otherwise you risk making hole in your tube. Someone accomplished it but ended up wearing a hole in the side of the tube. Someone also mentioned something about a Solarforce or Surefire 18650 tube working. I can’t confirm that though. If that is true they might make a 18350 tube as well. Again, not positive on that.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2475
Location: France, Angers

toddcshoe wrote:
X3 wrote:
Geuzzz wrote:
Question for the sunwayman modders. Are the walls of the battery tube thick enough to machine it to 18350?

I have a V11R on the slowboat and that is one of the mods I have in mind.


Anyone ?
I was wondering the same

Don’t remember if I saw it in the Ebay V11R thread or somewhere else but, someone mentioned it was possible but you had better be bullseye precise at boring the tube otherwise you risk making hole in your tube. Someone accomplished it but ended up wearing a hole in the side of the tube. Someone also mentioned something about a Solarforce or Surefire 18650 tube working. I can’t confirm that though. If that is true they might make a 18350 tube as well. Again, not positive on that.


Thank you.
So there is enough meat to bore out the tube for an 18350.
I have access to a lathe, maybe I’ll grab one on FT at 29 bucks…

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$