Sofirn Q8 group buy (gb closed, but try PM to Sofirn for discount)

1035 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 282
Location: Melbourne, Australia

GST / VAT

Goods and services tax – 10% was added to my order

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13349
Location: Amsterdam

Sillen wrote:
GST / VAT

Goods and services tax – 10% was added to my order


So Aliexpress in China collects the GST, and then transfers the money to the Australian government?

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 12389
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

djozz wrote:
Sillen wrote:
GST / VAT

Goods and services tax – 10% was added to my order


So Aliexpress in China collects the GST, and then transfers the money to the Australian government?

Yes. Amazon US stopped selling to Australia for a short period when our government bought in the 10% GST on any online purchases. Amazon US now sell to us again and also collect the 10% GST on each sale.

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13349
Location: Amsterdam

MRsDNF wrote:
djozz wrote:
Sillen wrote:
GST / VAT

Goods and services tax – 10% was added to my order


So Aliexpress in China collects the GST, and then transfers the money to the Australian government?

Yes. Amazon US stopped selling to Australia for a short period when our government bought in the 10% GST on any online purchases. Amazon US now sell to us again and also collect the 10% GST on each sale.

To that is an administrative burden for any foreign webshop, except the really small ones. I hope that delivery is faster because less packages have to be checked.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 282
Location: Melbourne, Australia

djozz wrote:
MRsDNF wrote:
djozz wrote:
Sillen wrote:
GST / VAT

Goods and services tax – 10% was added to my order


So Aliexpress in China collects the GST, and then transfers the money to the Australian government?

Yes. Amazon US stopped selling to Australia for a short period when our government bought in the 10% GST on any online purchases. Amazon US now sell to us again and also collect the 10% GST on each sale.

To that is an administrative burden for any foreign webshop, except the really small ones. I hope that delivery is faster because less packages have to be checked.

GB are still tax free Smile

jigsaw
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 01/15/2016 - 17:35
Posts: 187
Location: Michigan, USA

interested Amazon US

HONDARIDER
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 140
Location: Hot Springs, ArkansasCUCU

JasonWW wrote:
Mikeadoo wrote:
I would like to use PayPal to buy mine. If I got to wait longer from Ali then that’s ok with me. Ali takes PayPal right?

Not normally. Since HONDARIDER did it, he must have asked the seller to use PayPal and they agreed.

Is this correct HONDARIDER?

When I logged in and reopened my cart on my Tablet it only gave me the option to use a credit card. I don’t exactly remember how I did it but I was able to close the pop up and select Pay Pal as the form of payment.

Mikeadoo
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 40 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 22:27
Posts: 350
Location: Chesterfield, Michigan

Hmmmm….. Ok thanks guys. Debit it is then

I like flashlights!!

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13349
Location: Amsterdam

Mikeadoo wrote:
Hmmmm….. Ok thanks guys. Debit it is then

Remarkable conclusion

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Alen
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 min ago
Joined: 04/03/2012 - 08:26
Posts: 246

Gold plated contacts in budget flashlights we would see!

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18269
Location: Heart of Texas

I would like to purchase one Q8, from Amazon in the US please.

Dale

shirnask
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 532
Location: Louisiana
Mikeadoo wrote:
Hmmmm….. Ok thanks guys. Debit it is then

I have always used Paypal for the Sofirn store – where it shows payment method there should be an option “change” on the right side of the screen – pick that and you should see paypal option

Mikeadoo
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 40 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 22:27
Posts: 350
Location: Chesterfield, Michigan

Thanks shirnask! I’ll try that

I like flashlights!!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 8387
Location: Houston Texas

DB Custom wrote:
I would like to purchase one Q8, from Amazon in the US please.

If you post here you should be good to go. The front page list has not been updated since you first posted. Last name on list was from 9/4. You signed up 9/5.

We are still waiting for the Amazon coupon, so no big rush. I don’t even see it on Amazon US yet.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware (old), lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well. 

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70.2, 26350 cells (4,100 lumen!), Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! 

10 NarsilM user videos for BLF Q8, GT, GT Mini and ROT66

Texas_Ace BLF Calibrated Lumen tube

Maukka Calibration Lights for DIY Lumen Measuring Devices 

Review Jaxmnve M1 Stainless 10180 Keychain light

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18269
Location: Heart of Texas

Cool, thanks Jason.
Just ordered a set of Samsung 25S cells for it. Big Smile

Dale

sleasys14
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 05/11/2018 - 16:23
Posts: 10
Location: charleston wv

interested amazon US

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13349
Location: Amsterdam

I updated the list. It contains interest in 126 lights now, of which 56 from Amazon US. So Sofirn may already send an extra batch eastward.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

gleamer
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 10/17/2014 - 15:07
Posts: 151

djozz wrote:
huey18 wrote:
I hope Sofirn will develop a battery carrier that accepts both button tops and flat tops.

Last thing I heard is that one of their engineers by accident reversed one battery in an unprotected prototype of the Q8 carrier and that scared the h*ll out of him. That is when they decided on physical reverse polarity protection and thus it will not work with flat tops. But it may well be a very easy mod to remove that protection.

But, as I understood, the 2-carrier,8batteries,8P battery tube is not finished yet, they are not satisfied on details and are still working on it.

Is the Sofirm Q8 has built in reverse protection? The battery I ordered are all unprotected samsung button top. I have flat top but still works with blf Q8. Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere. Thanks Smile

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 18269
Location: Heart of Texas

There is a diode that keeps a reverse mounted cell from ruining the driver, but in this case one cell in backwards and three in forwards will cause you a much larger issue! The 4 cells are parallel, inserting one cell backwards could well cause you to learn a new dance…

All 4 cells in backwards should not hurt the driver, won’t work of course. Possibility of blowing the reverse protection diode though, in which case the driver wouldn’t work until the diode was replaced.

Dale

HONDARIDER
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 140
Location: Hot Springs, ArkansasCUCU
shirnask wrote:
Mikeadoo wrote:
Hmmmm….. Ok thanks guys. Debit it is then

I have always used Paypal for the Sofirn store – where it shows payment method there should be an option “change” on the right side of the screen – pick that and you should see paypal option

I just couldn’t remember how I got to PayPal when checking out. Knew there was a way.

gleamer
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 10/17/2014 - 15:07
Posts: 151

Thanks Dale.

gleamer
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 10/17/2014 - 15:07
Posts: 151

DB Custom wrote:
There is a diode that keeps a reverse mounted cell from ruining the driver, but in this case one cell in backwards and three in forwards will cause you a much larger issue! The 4 cells are parallel, inserting one cell backwards could well cause you to learn a new dance…

All 4 cells in backwards should not hurt the driver, won’t work of course. Possibility of blowing the reverse protection diode though, in which case the driver wouldn’t work until the diode was replaced.

If you use protected high drain battery, 4 cell parallel, 1 cell backward, would the battery protection prevent explosion or bad issues? Thanks Smile

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 7924
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Inserting a cell backward is likely to melt the springs and potentially damage the batteries, but it’s unlikely to damage the driver.

Using protected cells might reduce the damage, if the protection trips early enough. But it might not.

gleamer
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 10/17/2014 - 15:07
Posts: 151

Thanks Smile

Mikeadoo
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 40 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 22:27
Posts: 350
Location: Chesterfield, Michigan
HONDARIDER wrote:
shirnask wrote:
Mikeadoo wrote:
Hmmmm….. Ok thanks guys. Debit it is then

I have always used Paypal for the Sofirn store – where it shows payment method there should be an option “change” on the right side of the screen – pick that and you should see paypal option

I just couldn’t remember how I got to PayPal when checking out. Knew there was a way.


HONDARIDER if you figure it out could you PM me please? I messaged Sofirn store and they said they take PayPal. Just wasn’t very clear on how exactly to do it.

I like flashlights!!

Mikeadoo
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 40 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2017 - 22:27
Posts: 350
Location: Chesterfield, Michigan

Question out of curiosity for you all that are asking about putting one cell in backwards.

What would that do, or what are you wanting to happen? Brighter light if it doesn’t destroy the light, driver or whatever?

I like flashlights!!

shirnask
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 532
Location: Louisiana
Mikeadoo wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
shirnask wrote:
Mikeadoo wrote:
Hmmmm….. Ok thanks guys. Debit it is then

I have always used Paypal for the Sofirn store – where it shows payment method there should be an option “change” on the right side of the screen – pick that and you should see paypal option

I just couldn’t remember how I got to PayPal when checking out. Knew there was a way.


HONDARIDER if you figure it out could you PM me please? I messaged Sofirn store and they said they take PayPal. Just wasn’t very clear on how exactly to do it.

1 – put the item in your cart

2 – click Buy

3 –

4 -

Brinkmann
Online
Last seen: 4 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 06/09/2018 - 19:40
Posts: 10

Interested!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 8387
Location: Houston Texas

Mikeadoo wrote:
Question out of curiosity for you all that are asking about putting one cell in backwards.

What would that do, or what are you wanting to happen? Brighter light if it doesn’t destroy the light, driver or whatever?


It creates a short circuit on the battery. Like taking a wire and going from the positive to the negative. The battery could get super hot and explode. It’s the same as putting a wrench across your car battery terminals. Very, very bad.

In the Q8, the springs usually get hot in less than a second and go soft from the heat ruining the spring.

Always insert the batteries in correctly.

My Convoy L6 thread with XHP70.2, Texas Avenger FET driver, Narsil v1.2 ramping firmware (old), lighted side switch and cut down SMO reflector. Lots of amp draws on stock driver as well. 

My Supfire L5-S thread with XHP70.2, 26350 cells (4,100 lumen!), Texas Avenger FET driver, NarsilM v1.0 ramping firmware and lighted side switch. My mini L6! 

10 NarsilM user videos for BLF Q8, GT, GT Mini and ROT66

Texas_Ace BLF Calibrated Lumen tube

Maukka Calibration Lights for DIY Lumen Measuring Devices 

Review Jaxmnve M1 Stainless 10180 Keychain light

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 7924
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Mikeadoo wrote:
Question out of curiosity for you all that are asking about putting one cell in backwards.

What would that do, or what are you wanting to happen?

People are accustomed to putting cells in series, because so many devices work that way. So they may accidentally do the same on items where they shouldn’t. It’s not something people do on purpose.

Pages