Sofirn Q8 group buy (gb closed, but try PM to Sofirn for discount)

1221 posts / 0 new
Last post
teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Mikeadoo wrote:
Question out of curiosity for you all that are asking about putting one cell in backwards.

What would that do, or what are you wanting to happen? Brighter light if it doesn’t destroy the light, driver or whatever?

As TK said….. It Is a Mistake when this happens.

DO NOT DO IT ON PURPOSE!!! Wink

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

L4M4
L4M4's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2013 - 13:43
Posts: 1292
Location: Germany
ToyKeeper wrote:
People are accustomed to putting cells in series, because so many devices work that way. So they may accidentally do the same on items where they shouldn’t. It’s not something people do on purpose.

Not on Sodacan-lights.
ALlo, I think the springs are a clear marker for the negative pole – because it’s like this everywhere.

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

L4M4 wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
People are accustomed to putting cells in series, because so many devices work that way. So they may accidentally do the same on items where they shouldn’t. It’s not something people do on purpose.
Not on Sodacan-lights.
ALlo, I think the springs are a clear marker for the negative pole – because it’s like this everywhere.
Sure it is clearly marked….. BUT MISTAKES HAPPEN.

That is why they are called mistakes…… they are not done on purpose. Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11544
Location: Houston Texas

I remember on the original Q8 thread there were plans to have physical polarity protection around the positive brass ring consisting of two circular slightly raised pieces of plastic. This would prevent the flat negative end of the battery from touching the brass ring. For whatever reason, Thorfire scrapped that idea. Maybe now would be a good time for Sofirn to reconsider adding it. Like an add on accessory for current lights and a factory installed piece on the Q8 v1.5.

Just a thought.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15799
Location: Amsterdam

Physical reversing protection is more needed on a battery carrier than with the current Q8 because with the carrier you don’t see the already inserted batteries very well, while in the Q8, before screwing the head on, you have a clear view of the 4 batteries together, a wrongly inserted one is far more obvious.

Plus, most batteries we use have the wrapper bended around the underside, for those, reversing will cause them not making contact with the brass ring. The Q8 is reverse protected for them.

Plus, as a few people experienced, upon reverse insertion, springs will collapse and contact broken before a battery is damaged.

A Q8 is not a light that I will give my sevenyearold to schoolcamp, for the rest IMO it seems to protect its users well enough.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11544
Location: Houston Texas

Does adding physical protection actually hurt anything? I don’t think it does.

A Sofirn engineer has already experienced this problem first hand. Scared the crap out of him. Lol.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15799
Location: Amsterdam

JasonWW wrote:
Does adding physical protection actually hurt anything? I don’t think it does.

A Sofirn engineer has already experienced this problem first hand. Scared the crap out of him. Lol.


To keep the discussion clear: this happened to the engineer when filling up a battery carrier, not with the current Q8 design without carrier. And I must admit when filling up the battery carrier of the ROT66 for the first time, it felt weird to put them all 4 in the same direction, so much are we used to series-carriers.
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11544
Location: Houston Texas

That’s right, we suggested the little white polarity protection discs that other companies use.

I think some protection rings for the Q8 could be machined from plastic or delrin or even 3D printed. The hard part seems to be getting them too stick to the driver. I think that’s why Thorfire decided to not use them. They kept coming unglued.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15799
Location: Amsterdam

JasonWW wrote:
That’s right, we suggested the little white polarity protection discs that other companies use.

I think some protection rings for the Q8 could be machined from plastic or delrin or even 3D printed. The hard part seems to be getting them too stick to the driver. I think that’s why Thorfire decided to not use them. They kept coming unglued.


The prototypes of the Q8 used two raised plastic rings, on both sides of the brass ring, it was indeed kind of a manufacturing head-ache for Thorfire so they asked to not use them in the production Q8 and we were ok with that because most batteries are wrapped around the edge anyway, and ultimately the springs were there as a safety backup.
Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 383
Location: Melbourne, Australia

djozz wrote:
And I must admit when filling up the battery carrier of the ROT66 for the first time, it felt weird to put them all 4 in the same direction, so much are we used to series-carriers.

You got a special ROT66, I only got 3 cells in mine Wink

I had an oopsie yesterday. Testing the Keeppower 6000 in my D4S then putting the 5200 back in and had it reversed, positive to the tail cap. I almost tightened all the way then when the Aux Leds didn’t come on it triggered my brain and I undid it with heart in throat. All good Smile

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15799
Location: Amsterdam

Yes, 3 batteries Smile

The D4 had not full reverse protection, the driver protects itself but the battery drains at quite some amps (I believe it was 8A). So if noticed immediately it is no problem, but if kept like that you have a big problem. There was talk about this being improved for the D4S but I’m not sure. Easy enough to test with the tailcap off and a clamp meter (don’t have a D4S myself).

Gerrh
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 07/11/2016 - 10:15
Posts: 107
Location: Bellingham, Washington

I would like two

AZ US

TheLumberPat
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/24/2017 - 20:57
Posts: 1

Interested. Amazon US

bulbeee
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 05/25/2018 - 19:07
Posts: 40
Location: So Cal

One please. Amazon USA

Mattfox27
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 00:05
Posts: 28
Location: United States

Interested please

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3280
Location: USA, Michigan

djozz wrote:
Yes, 3 batteries Smile

The D4 had not full reverse protection, the driver protects itself but the battery drains at quite some amps (I believe it was 8A). So if noticed immediately it is no problem, but if kept like that you have a big problem. There was talk about this being improved for the D4S but I’m not sure. Easy enough to test with the tailcap off and a clamp meter (don’t have a D4S myself).

I measured a Samsung 25r backwards in a D4. Heated the battery tube up to 115C (215ºF) in about 1 minute. Big Problem is an understatement.

guerrilla154
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 05/11/2017 - 13:42
Posts: 33

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to order one of these without the emitters? Could you ask Barry what the price would be in that case? I’d only be getting one to swap something else in, and I don’t want to pay for emitters I’ll never use.

Tomogchi
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 07/27/2017 - 23:57
Posts: 39
Location: New york

In for one. Amazon us

Also 2x battery extensions! That would be awesome.. do it guys!

It all started with just one flashlight.

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7122
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

guerrilla154 wrote:
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to order one of these without the emitters? Could you ask Barry what the price would be in that case? I'd only be getting one to swap something else in, and I don't want to pay for emitters I'll never use.

 

 People seemed pretty exited that Sofirn was selling parts .. i looked and my first reaction was the parts weren't all that cheap and just buying a light is going to be about the same as the parts you want.

 I kind of find this to be true about most hosts etc for sale.like a s2+ host for 10$..doesn't make much sense not to just buy the whole light. 

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

GreenLights
Online
Last seen: 38 sec ago
Joined: 01/22/2018 - 00:56
Posts: 154
Location: Florida, USA

Interested in one. Amazon US. Thanks.

Just discovered this wonderful addiction.

Bikenjam
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 04/03/2018 - 16:43
Posts: 3

Interested

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 297
Location: Shenzhen, China

In case you don’t miss the information. Sofirn Q8 is available in our aliexpress store now! Click me

Just place the order and leave a message saying your BLF ID before payment, our staff will modify the price for you, you need to refresh to find out!

Oh, one more thing, long tube for BLF Q8 will come out soon. Wink

RoloFresh
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/27/2017 - 02:06
Posts: 17

Interested

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 35 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9957
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
L4M4 wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
People are accustomed to putting cells in series

Not on Sodacan-lights.

I gave someone an original SRK once. It came back a few years later with two toasted springs because someone put the cells in with alternating polarity. It should be obvious at a glance which way the cells go, given that it has all the springs on one side and a solid contact ring on the other side, but apparently that’s not enough of a hint.

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2334
Location: Canada

Sofirn wrote:
In case you don't miss the information. Sofirn Q8 is available in our aliexpress store now! "Click me":https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-Sofirn-Q8-4-XPL-HI-5000LM-Powerfu... Just place the order and leave a message saying your BLF ID before payment, our staff will modify the price for you, you need to refresh to find out! Oh, one more thing, long tube for BLF Q8 will come out soon. ;)

Any chance to send 4 x 30Q with the Q8?  I think it is legal to send to Canada if inside a flashlight.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11544
Location: Houston Texas

RoloFresh wrote:
Interested

Please follow instructions in post #1

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11544
Location: Houston Texas

klrman wrote:

Sofirn wrote:
In case you don’t miss the information. Sofirn Q8 is available in our aliexpress store now! Click me Just place the order and leave a message saying your BLF ID before payment, our staff will modify the price for you, you need to refresh to find out! Oh, one more thing, long tube for BLF Q8 will come out soon. Wink

Any chance to send 4 × 30Q with the Q8?  I think it is legal to send to Canada if inside a flashlight.


They don’t sell 30Q. Only their own cells. They have a high drain 3000mah button top. It has gotten some good reviews. Almost the same as a 30Q in amperage. Link to the main Sofirn store.

Link to their battery store.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Tony Cape
Tony Cape's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 06/09/2018 - 04:38
Posts: 84
Location: South Africa

klrman wrote:

Sofirn wrote:
In case you don’t miss the information. Sofirn Q8 is available in our aliexpress store now! Click me Just place the order and leave a message saying your BLF ID before payment, our staff will modify the price for you, you need to refresh to find out! Oh, one more thing, long tube for BLF Q8 will come out soon. Wink

Any chance to send 4 × 30Q with the Q8?  I think it is legal to send to Canada if inside a flashlight.

Good idea I was thinking the same a set of cells would be great .
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15799
Location: Amsterdam

I’m sure most people have found out by now, the Sofirn is for sale now at aliexpress for the discounted price, by following the instructions in the OP. For completeness I wrote an update in the OP also.

For the Amazon buyers it will take another week before the lights are there.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11544
Location: Houston Texas

Ah, I’ve been checking out Amazon everyday to see if it gets listed. I guess I can chill out a while. Lol

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Pages