18650 Worklights, do they exist?

43 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11
18650 Worklights, do they exist?

Are there any 18650 worklights out there, aside from the type that use built in rechargable systems of course, there are plenty of those. I have something like this:

Which, despite being a super cheap add on when I was ordering something else, has turned out to be a really handy light around the house for little jobs in tight spaces, and a great emergency light too.
What it does lack though is the fact that you cannot replace the battery, you have to charge via USB, that has it’s pro’s and con’s.

What I would really like is a COB style light that I can easily swap out the 18650 cells, ideally using multiple cells for a long run time. Doesn’t need to be super bright like you might want from a torch, it will be used fairly close up after all. Flood and runtime are more important really.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6441
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

I’ve seen lights like those with removable 18650 batteries, yes. My local Lowe’s and Walmart don’t sell them, but my local electrical supply shop has a few different sizes and styles. I’m sure you could find some online at our usual vendors’ web-stores.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11

I have done a good bit of searching and not found anything yet. The waters are muddied by the fact that many rechargeable lights use 18650 cells so it makes it hard to find those that have removable cells.

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 1850
Location: Maryland USA

This says you can use 18650 or 4 AA batteries. It looks like there is a removable panel on the back of it . The pictures in the reviews indicate that can you use the panel to replace the 18650’s as well as the AA?

I kinda like these and might give them a try. I like the idea of multiple battery types in a work light !

https://www.amazon.com/OTYTY-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Emergency-Repairing...

Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11

Now that’s a clever idea, I like that, be a great light for travelling/camping etc.

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 1850
Location: Maryland USA

I agree and now I want them! Cash

I might try and look in the Chinese market to see if they can be found cheaper
Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11

Let me know if you find anything and I’ll do the same.

Multiple battery options is always a bonus for me, it’s part of the reason I always take my O-light S15R when I travel rather than my X5. With the o-light I can re-charge it, run it on 14500 or in an emergency run it on an AA, really handy feature.

kikkoman
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 05/03/2012 - 08:08
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

There’s this one on FT:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1941/10053214/9653554

(What is the difference between size S and L? No idea.)

Though at a 2nd glance I’m not sure the 18650 can be swapped easily.

————————————

Then there’s this one which is a bit different from all the chienese ones (TIR instead of zoomie, looks a bit better made) but the provided specs are not very clear:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Flashlight-Light-Flood-CFX1000/dp/B0798G...

Both have magnet bases.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2031
Location: USA

bikenber73 wrote:
This says you can use 18650 or 4 AA batteries. It looks like there is a removable panel on the back of it . The pictures in the reviews indicate that can you use the panel to replace the 18650’s as well as the AA?

I kinda like these and might give them a try. I like the idea of multiple battery types in a work light !

https://www.amazon.com/OTYTY-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Emergency-Repairing...


I posted a link to the Gearbest version of this light in another thread:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-solar-lights/pp_009306164569.html
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2031
Location: USA

Quote:
What I would really like is a COB style light that I can easily swap out the 18650 cells, ideally using multiple cells for a long run time. Doesn’t need to be super bright like you might want from a torch, it will be used fairly close up after all. Flood and runtime are more important really.
Not a cob light, but wouldnt just about any 18650 based headlamp fit the bill? Most of them have floody beams designed for close up work, and most of them offer long run times in lower modes.
Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11
Pete7874 wrote:
Quote:
What I would really like is a COB style light that I can easily swap out the 18650 cells, ideally using multiple cells for a long run time. Doesn’t need to be super bright like you might want from a torch, it will be used fairly close up after all. Flood and runtime are more important really.
Not a cob light, but wouldnt just about any 18650 based headlamp fit the bill? Most of them have floody beams designed for close up work, and most of them offer long run times in lower modes.

Yeah it might do. I said COB style mostly because those seem the best for a good floody light, like the one I had a pic of in the first post, it has a COB bar down the side and it has superb flood up close.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5453
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

I use a headlamp for worklight very often.
But most stock headlamps are not floody enough..

Q

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2031
Location: USA

Rorschach wrote:
I said COB style mostly because those seem the best for a good floody light, like the one I had a pic of in the first post, it has a COB bar down the side and it has superb flood up close.
Here is one option I found:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Sale-Portable-550-Lumen-CRE...

No personal experience with it though, but it looks like a COB light and can take a removable 18650 cell.

Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11

Pete7874 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I said COB style mostly because those seem the best for a good floody light, like the one I had a pic of in the first post, it has a COB bar down the side and it has superb flood up close.
Here is one option I found:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Sale-Portable-550-Lumen-CRE...

No personal experience with it though, but it looks like a COB light and can take a removable 18650 cell.

Thanks, I’ll check that one out.

Agro
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 3083
Location: Ślōnsk

kikkoman wrote:
There’s this one on FT:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1941/10053214/9653554

(What is the difference between size S and L? No idea.)

Though at a 2nd glance I’m not sure the 18650 can be swapped easily.


I would really like one of such lights. BG sells them as well.
But I want something of good quality and I can’t find any trustworthy reviews, so I wait…
Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11

Yes I would really like something that, they never seem to come with a removable battery though.

puglife2
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 17:56
Posts: 136

I think the armytek wizard could be used as a work light, its a headlamp but can be a hand held too. They claim a 10m impact resistance, waterproof under 10m,built in magnetic charging, have a nice tint ( if you choose the warm model), strong magnetic base and a 10 years waranty.

You can have the wizard pro too for even more brightness or the elf c2 for the cheaper option and built in micro usb charger.

https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/multi-flashlights/armytek-w...

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 986
NEBO “Big Larry”.

It’s not what you asked for as it’s x3AA, but it is a very very solid worklight, excellent wide beam COB mule emitter which also has a red flashing mode which is great as a bicycle rear-lamp, with a velcro tie around the seatpost, or as a hazard flasher on the roof of a broken-down car.

Strong (very strong) magnet in the tail.

Runs well on e.g. Eneloops.

Cold white, might not suit tint snobs, but it does the job better than anything else I have tried, in this class.

Would double as a cosh, or a Priest when fishing. Actually has (Priest, not cosh Wink )

Cleans up easily with a rinse under the tap.

Not expensive.

I gave these as Christmas gifts to my relatives, and they are much appreciated. Probably still being used on Duracells, I did try to tell them, but that’s the real world for most.

Oh, I see they now do a “Pro” version, with magnetic USB charging. I might have to get one of those.

ActiveAl
ActiveAl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 03/27/2018 - 03:14
Posts: 364
Location: Central Florida

Pete7874 wrote:
Here is one option I found: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Sale-Portable-550-Lumen-CRE... No personal experience with it though, but it looks like a COB light and can take a removable 18650 cell.

 

I just ordered one hoping the COB lights will be usable as a small area flood light. Too bad there is a strobe mode in the UI.       


Update: The COB is really a line of about five LEDs. The beam has a dim center and a bright-blue (ugly) halo around the perimeter. Not very suitable for me as a small area flood light.  

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6441
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

ActiveAl wrote:

Pete7874 wrote:
Here is one option I found: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Sale-Portable-550-Lumen-CRE... No personal experience with it though, but it looks like a COB light and can take a removable 18650 cell.

 


I just ordered one hoping the COB lights will be usable as a small area flood light. Too bad there is a strobe mode in the UI.       


That’s an interesting looking light. I wonder if it has a “normal” round driver board like most handheld flashlights. If so, it could be changed. If it includes one of BLF firmware supported ATtiny chips, it could even be re-flashed if the driver is reasonably well made otherwise. Wink

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 6377
Location: nyc

Nitefox UW360. I reviewed it at http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60581 as well as on Amazon.

Got one review unit, ordered a second because they’re so handy.

Flex-neck, 18650, pure flood (mule), usb charging, tail-magnet (stands on its own by magnetic-suck action and also has a baseplate to use as a standalone floodlight).

Weird little puppies, but I like ‘em a lot.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

ActiveAl
ActiveAl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 03/27/2018 - 03:14
Posts: 364
Location: Central Florida

DavidEF wrote:
That's an interesting looking light. I wonder if it has a "normal" round driver board like most handheld flashlights. If so, it could be changed. If it includes one of BLF firmware supported ATtiny chips, it could even be re-flashed if the driver is reasonably well made otherwise. ;)

 

David, have you ever heard of the phrase, "a pig looking at a wrist watch?" I am afraid it applies to me when it comes to modding flashlights - I am still a newbie to this forum. But I enjoy technology and, by nature, will be automatically compelled to learn. Maybe some day I will not only understand what you are saying but know how to do it! Thanks!

 

 

ActiveAl
ActiveAl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 03/27/2018 - 03:14
Posts: 364
Location: Central Florida

Lightbringer wrote:
Nitefox UW360. I reviewed it at http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60581 as well as on Amazon. Got one review unit, ordered a second because they're so handy. Flex-neck, 18650, pure flood (mule), usb charging, tail-magnet (stands on its own by magnetic-suck action and also has a baseplate to use as a standalone floodlight). Weird little puppies, but I like 'em a lot.

 

Nice work reviewing this light Lightbringer. So, I ordered a basic UW 360 to check it out. I can see where I could use this as a desk lamp to illuminate my keyboard at night. Because it is so unique, I am sure I will find other uses. It would be sweeter if I could get a deal, but life is too short.   Thanks for the heads up!

 

BTW, I love how they offer you insurance for $4.00 on this $20 item at checkout. On something this cheap, I would rather "self insure." 

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 6377
Location: nyc
ActiveAl wrote:
Nice work reviewing this light Lightbringer. So, I ordered a basic UW 360 to check it out. I can see where I could use this as a desk lamp to illuminate my keyboard at night. Because it is so unique, I am sure I will find other uses. It would be sweeter if I could get a deal, but life is too short.   Thanks for the heads up!

Even at 20bux it’s not bad, for the novelty. I’ve had “similar products” pop up, and they were grossly overpriced, like 35-40bux for essentially the same thing (except a “name brand”).

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Rorschach
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/03/2018 - 03:29
Posts: 11

Lightbringer wrote:
Nitefox UW360. I reviewed it at http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60581 as well as on Amazon.

Got one review unit, ordered a second because they’re so handy.

Flex-neck, 18650, pure flood (mule), usb charging, tail-magnet (stands on its own by magnetic-suck action and also has a baseplate to use as a standalone floodlight).

Weird little puppies, but I like ‘em a lot.

That’s an interesting looking light. Shipping to the UK makes it super expensive unfortunately and no-where sells it cheaper.

ActiveAl
ActiveAl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 03/27/2018 - 03:14
Posts: 364
Location: Central Florida

Lightbringer wrote:
ActiveAl wrote:
Nice work reviewing this light Lightbringer. So, I ordered a basic UW 360 to check it out. I can see where I could use this as a desk lamp to illuminate my keyboard at night. Because it is so unique, I am sure I will find other uses. It would be sweeter if I could get a deal, but life is too short.   Thanks for the heads up!
Even at 20bux it's not bad, for the novelty. I've had "similar products" pop up, and they were grossly overpriced, like 35-40bux for essentially the same thing (except a "name brand").

 

The 18650 powered goose neck light arrived today, and it is a real winner! As with every new light I get, I show it to my wife and offer it to her. She rarely shows any interest in my collection, but this one she took to immediately.

It seems to be well made, puts out a good amount of light for its size, and is very stable on its metal base. We both see how useful this could be as a small desk lamp. I love that it runs on an 18650 battery. So I ordered another one for myself! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Lightbringer! 

 

 

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 6377
Location: nyc

Yep, toldja! LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 730
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Just saw this one at Banggood.

Xanes XA003

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 730
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Found a new one at Gearbest- BRELONG COB Super Bright Flashlight for Work Maintenance

Same light at Banggood- XANES BL-991

It’s a AAA light, so not exactly what Rorschach is looking for.

skroober
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2018 - 16:24
Posts: 10
Location: United States

The Braun 390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Worklight from Harbor Freight is powered by a single 2200mah 18650 battery. It can be had for $20 with a coupon.

Here are a few pics of mine at imgur.

I’m very happy with it so far.

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 1850
Location: Maryland USA

I ordered a couple of these for $12 . Seem to be pretty handy we will see.

Pages