Low Output Cheap Flashlight recomendation.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pregulla
Pregulla's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 07:34
Posts: 799
Low Output Cheap Flashlight recomendation.

Hi All,
I am looking for a flashlight for astronomy to convert to red either by swapping the LED for cheap red one or by using transparent red tape. From what I have remembered a 1$ “Police 3w Light” would fit the bill (cheap, dim and will run forever on dead AA), but to my surprise the two specimens I have ordered were much brighter than expected (guesstimated at about 20lm).
Is there something similar, but with output closer to 1-5lm? A not too expensive light (sub $10) that has a low-low mode and starts on it or has memory would work too (AA, AAA or 18650). If there is something that comes with red LED and is dim enough it would work too, but what I have seen seemed to be too bright.
Thanks.

Frumious
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/05/2018 - 00:52
Posts: 36

Astronomy. Great viewing of Mars this month. I recommend and use the Coast FL70 headlamp from Costco. (Costco item#1087612) Comes in a two-pack for under $30. Runs on 3AAA batteries (6 included!). It has dual red LEDs that are not overly bright. These are in addition to its white/focusable LED. The two nicest features for you: 1) The red LEDs are controlled by a separate switch from the bright white one – you won’t be temporarily blinded and lose you night vision, 2) Hands free operation.

jch10400
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 07/28/2016 - 06:38
Posts: 215
Location: California

I go on night hikes at a local preserve that requires a red flashlight. Since I had a couple of AA Maglights sitting around unused, I ordered a kit online that had clear, red, and blue lenses along with a lanyard. I think it was $4. Problem solved.

Pregulla
Pregulla's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 07:34
Posts: 799

jch10400 wrote:
I go on night hikes at a local preserve that requires a red flashlight. Since I had a couple of AA Maglights sitting around unused, I ordered a kit online that had clear, red, and blue lenses along with a lanyard. I think it was $4. Problem solved.

I already have a “conversion kit”, now I need something to convert Wink

Frumious wrote:
Astronomy. Great viewing of Mars this month. I recommend and use the Coast FL70 headlamp from Costco. (Costco item#1087612) Comes in a two-pack for under $30. Runs on 3AAA batteries (6 included!). It has dual red LEDs that are not overly bright. These are in addition to its white/focusable LED. The two nicest features for you: 1) The red LEDs are controlled by a separate switch from the bright white one – you won’t be temporarily blinded and lose you night vision, 2) Hands free operation.

I am not from US, so no Costco for me. I’ll have to stick with the usual suspects – eBay, AliExpress, and alike.

P.S. Couldn’t make any detail on Mars yet. I guess I need higher power and better seeing. The Jupiter was impressive though.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 1954
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

I think the Sofirn SP10B or SP10A will suit this. It has a very very low moon mode and it can either start in moon (short press) or in last used level (long press) or turbo (double click)

Pregulla
Pregulla's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2012 - 07:34
Posts: 799

Yeah, it looks like what I am looking for. Thanks.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 1954
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

Pregulla wrote:
Yeah, it looks like what I am looking for. Thanks.

And what I also like in it that it has a 4 click lockout. I don’t like long press lockouts. It can long pressed in a bag when something fall on a light .