New! LG M29 (18650) Cells incoming...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
HydrAxx
HydrAxx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/22/2018 - 09:27
Posts: 102
Location: France
New! LG M29 (18650) Cells incoming...

A newcomer from LG Chemicals, replaces the old MG1, new features: higher energy density and lower internal resistance. No price has really filtered yet, but it will be lower than that of MG1, due to the fact that its manufacturing cost is lower than that of LG MG1.

This cell could be interesting (eg for powerwall, powerbanks, etc …), remains to see the final purchase price.

Can a single flapping of a butterfly's wings trigger a tornado at the other end of the world?

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 3920
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Just saw this in stock at NKON. It has a slightly lower cost than that of the Samsung INR18650-29E (E6) cell.

 

 

Features a triple leg/triple lobe top similar to Samsung's, subtly different though. Mooch recently complained of this new top in his LG H26 brief review, likely an irrelevant complaint from a battery pack building point of view.

Certain alternate (chinese) OEMs have very good cells in this class at even lower prices than these (Heter battery, for example). I wonder how good they are concerning cycle life, though.

Innocent

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3385
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

LG battery life cycle are also bad. My LG V20 battery after less than a year is gone goes from 40% to flat lol. Also had similar issue with my HG2 they don’t last as long as Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung. When saying thay they are usually the cheapest option out of the rest.

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 3920
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

From this side of things I can't say they are the cheapest option. I usually buy Samsung or Murata (and maybe some Sanyo) cells at NKON (their LG pricing doesn't sounds enticing to me).

Concerning cheap cells, I requested Henrik to review a couple EAIEP cell rewraps from AliExpress (INR18650-33E review). They are cheap with ultra cheap ground shipping to my home:

 

Innocent

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3222
Location: USA, Michigan
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
LG battery life cycle are also bad. My LG V20 battery after less than a year is gone goes from 40% to flat lol. Also had similar issue with my HG2 they don’t last as long as Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung. When saying thay they are usually the cheapest option out of the rest.

I’ve had just the opposite experience with LG HG2’s. Used in a vape mod, I’ve put over 700 cycles on two sets of three HG2’s. I’ve retired them for flashlight use, but they are still going strong. Have also have many LG MJ1’s going just as strong as Panasonic NCR-G’s over the last 4 years.

For a while, the HG2 was one of the most faked cells out there by chinese companies

Pajda cz
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2018 - 08:57
Posts: 26
Location: Czech Republic

I have similar exeperience as RobertB. LG HG2 is cell with one of the best cycle life in its category with two issues: 1) Market is overflooded with LG HG2 fake copies. 2) Original HG2 cell suffers with signifiant capacity drop in the first ca 100 full cycles (drop to ca 90-85% of initial capacity, no matter on load at high DoD) but then the capacity drop almost stops and HG2 can do ca 1500 cycles at 100% DoD before it falls to 70% of initial capacity. For many users is 100 equivalent full cycles unreachable count during the whole specific application life (for example I do not charge my cordless drill more than few times per year). This behaviour leads to prefer competitive cells like 30Q or VTC6 by some manufacturers in specific applications.

But back to the LG M29, I started with cycle life few months ago when they appears at Nkon. Right now I have few hundred of cycles under four specific test loads and so far the cycle life looks outstanding. It seems, that it is on a par with the Samsung 29E, which is currently the king of its class (2900mAh, 10A continuous dchg cells)

HydrAxx
HydrAxx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/22/2018 - 09:27
Posts: 102
Location: France
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
LG battery life cycle are also bad. My LG V20 battery after less than a year is gone goes from 40% to flat lol. Also had similar issue with my HG2 they don’t last as long as Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung. When saying thay they are usually the cheapest option out of the rest.

Hey man, when you’re done talking bullshit it’ll be fine, seriously you’re comparing cell phone batteries to industrial cylindrical batteries, which is unparalleled because in your LG V20, which is a crappy mobile phone with its Snapdragon 820 ( which is a real boiler boiling and even low consumption, which does not help the batteries to survive very long), and therefore the mobile phones use LiHV type batteries and chemistry lithium polymer (quite similar to the ICR / Lithium Cobalt Chemistry Dioxide), LiHV literally means “Lithium High Voltage” because virtually all mobile phone batteries in the world have a maximum charge voltage between 4.3 and 4.4 volts and the chemistry they use is much more unstable and dangerous that those used in the cylindrical industrial batteries of which you quote the LG “HG2” which already uses a hybrid chemistry of type INR (Lithium Nickel Dioxide) much more reliable and stable, but especially the “HG2” has a much better endurance than its equivalent from Sony (now bought and called Murata) the VTC6 and it does not have much to envy either of his counterpart from Samsung, the 30Q. So either you bought cells that had been counterfeit or they were defective, because when you say that the LG “HG2” (like LG in general) are really unreliable then I’m sure there will be more people on this forum will agree with me and that LG is one of the world’s top three brands of Lithium-Ion battery that people to follow you in your delirium (focused only on your bad personal experiences with LG) who says that LG does not is not reliable and that is why their cells are the least expensive (which is completely wrong in addition).

Can a single flapping of a butterfly's wings trigger a tornado at the other end of the world?

bushmaster
bushmaster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2017 - 15:40
Posts: 336
Location: Colville, WA USA

Certainly nothing to complain about with the HG2 battery. I have probably 20 or so that I rotate for my lights and vaping devices. They range from several years old to several months old but I can’t distinguish the new ones from the old when I meter voltage at the end of the day or when checking IR on my charger. The brown LG’s are a very good battery assuming you have the real thing.

Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.
Del Gue

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 3920
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

HydrAxx wrote:

Hey man, when you're done talking bullshit it'll be fine, seriously you're comparing cell phone batteries to industrial cylindrical batteries, which is unparalleled because in your LG V20, which is a crappy mobile phone with its Snapdragon 820 …

Whoa! Ughh Everyone here expresses his own opinion, being it a consequence of each one's beliefs. Respectable it can be even if we do not agree.

My smartphone is Snapdragon 820 powered too (Zuk Z2 Pro), but runs a custom Oreo ROM with good performance to power consumption ratio. Very happy with it. LOL

I take great care of smartphone batteries (very heavy user). I usually limit charging up to around ⅔ of maximum, or more specifically up until the minimum load battery voltage after power flow stop or removal is below 14/15 of battery maximum. My battery software tells me my battery voltage peaked at 4.085V upon power removal, and went down to 4.053V 3 minutes later, last time. Will reduce the maximum a Wink couple notches. Anyway, a DIY battery replacement is due.

Good to know the M29 bears good cycle life. Top cycle life is what really matters with battery packs, the larger the more it does I think.

Innocent

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 4949
Location: Canada

@Barkuti, do you use Battery Charge Limit?

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 35 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 570
Location: Miami, Florida
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
LG battery life cycle are also bad. My LG V20 battery after less than a year is gone goes from 40% to flat lol. Also had similar issue with my HG2 they don’t last as long as Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung. When saying thay they are usually the cheapest option out of the rest.

LG is one of the Big 5/4 and is well respected in the li-ion world.

Apart from your LG V20, who are you buying your 18650s from?

China?

Chris

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 3920
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

BlueSwordM wrote:
@Barkuti, do you use Battery Charge Limit?

Yes.

Innocent

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3385
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)

Pajda cz wrote:
I have similar exeperience as RobertB. LG HG2 is cell with one of the best cycle life in its category with two issues: 1) Market is overflooded with LG HG2 fake copies. 2) Original HG2 cell suffers with signifiant capacity drop in the first ca 100 full cycles (drop to ca 90-85% of initial capacity, no matter on load at high DoD) but then the capacity drop almost stops and HG2 can do ca 1500 cycles at 100% DoD before it falls to 70% of initial capacity. For many users is 100 equivalent full cycles unreachable count during the whole specific application life (for example I do not charge my cordless drill more than few times per year). This behaviour leads to prefer competitive cells like 30Q or VTC6 by some manufacturers in specific applications.

But back to the LG M29, I started with cycle life few months ago when they appears at Nkon. Right now I have few hundred of cycles under four specific test loads and so far the cycle life looks outstanding. It seems, that it is on a par with the Samsung 29E, which is currently the king of its class (2900mAh, 10A continuous dchg cells)

Excatly what happen to mine mate they sit at like 4.13v and lost capacity fairly quick They still work fine just no other cells i own have done this so quickly.

everydaysurvivalgear
everydaysurvivalgear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 07/31/2015 - 10:25
Posts: 3385
Location: sydney australia (GMT+10)
HydrAxx wrote:
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
LG battery life cycle are also bad. My LG V20 battery after less than a year is gone goes from 40% to flat lol. Also had similar issue with my HG2 they don’t last as long as Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung. When saying thay they are usually the cheapest option out of the rest.

Hey man, when you’re done talking bullshit it’ll be fine, seriously you’re comparing cell phone batteries to industrial cylindrical batteries, which is unparalleled because in your LG V20, which is a crappy mobile phone with its Snapdragon 820 ( which is a real boiler boiling and even low consumption, which does not help the batteries to survive very long), and therefore the mobile phones use LiHV type batteries and chemistry lithium polymer (quite similar to the ICR / Lithium Cobalt Chemistry Dioxide), LiHV literally means “Lithium High Voltage” because virtually all mobile phone batteries in the world have a maximum charge voltage between 4.3 and 4.4 volts and the chemistry they use is much more unstable and dangerous that those used in the cylindrical industrial batteries of which you quote the LG “HG2” which already uses a hybrid chemistry of type INR (Lithium Nickel Dioxide) much more reliable and stable, but especially the “HG2” has a much better endurance than its equivalent from Sony (now bought and called Murata) the VTC6 and it does not have much to envy either of his counterpart from Samsung, the 30Q. So either you bought cells that had been counterfeit or they were defective, because when you say that the LG “HG2” (like LG in general) are really unreliable then I’m sure there will be more people on this forum will agree with me and that LG is one of the world’s top three brands of Lithium-Ion battery that people to follow you in your delirium (focused only on your bad personal experiences with LG) who says that LG does not is not reliable and that is why their cells are the least expensive (which is completely wrong in addition).

**** no need to be a rude **** about it lol.

I was saying what happen to me. obviously LG cells are better than cheapo cells not hard to be top 3 when there are only a few players in the game. LG is not a class leading brand by any means also not the worse.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6473
Location: The Light

Please watch your language.

 

BLF Rules:

BY REGISTERING AN ACCOUNT YOU ALREADY IMPLICITLY AGREED TO ABIDE BY THESE RULES:

  1. Please don't be rude.  Rude people will have their accounts deleted. 
  2. Please don't use dirty language, please don't swear, and please avoid lewd or risqué conversations.
  3. Please avoid controversial or divisive subjects such as religion and politics.
  4. Please avoid fighting. If you or somebody else is losing their calm, please drop the subject.
  5. Please don't even think about spamming this forum.  Spammers will be prosecuted.
  6. Please don't even think about using this forum for illegal activities.  Criminals will be prosecuted.
  7. By registering an account, you agree to the BudgetLightForum.com Privacy Policy.
  8. All opinions expressed by users of this website may or may not be accurate, and as such BudgetLightForum.com does not officially endorse them. BudgetLightForum.com does not encourage risky behavior, and will not be responsible for physical, emotional, financial or other damages resulting from the use or misuse of any information or misinformation expressed herein. All users are encouraged to use good judgement before making any physical, financial or other decisions based on the information or misinformation expressed on BudgetLightForum.com.
  9. Have fun.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 622
Location: MN
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
HydrAxx wrote:
everydaysurvivalgear wrote:
LG battery life cycle are also bad. My LG V20 battery after less than a year is gone goes from 40% to flat lol. Also had similar issue with my HG2 they don’t last as long as Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung. When saying thay they are usually the cheapest option out of the rest.

Hey man, when you’re done talking bullshit it’ll be fine, seriously you’re comparing cell phone batteries to industrial cylindrical batteries, which is unparalleled because in your LG V20, which is a crappy mobile phone with its Snapdragon 820 ( which is a real boiler boiling and even low consumption, which does not help the batteries to survive very long), and therefore the mobile phones use LiHV type batteries and chemistry lithium polymer (quite similar to the ICR / Lithium Cobalt Chemistry Dioxide), LiHV literally means “Lithium High Voltage” because virtually all mobile phone batteries in the world have a maximum charge voltage between 4.3 and 4.4 volts and the chemistry they use is much more unstable and dangerous that those used in the cylindrical industrial batteries of which you quote the LG “HG2” which already uses a hybrid chemistry of type INR (Lithium Nickel Dioxide) much more reliable and stable, but especially the “HG2” has a much better endurance than its equivalent from Sony (now bought and called Murata) the VTC6 and it does not have much to envy either of his counterpart from Samsung, the 30Q. So either you bought cells that had been counterfeit or they were defective, because when you say that the LG “HG2” (like LG in general) are really unreliable then I’m sure there will be more people on this forum will agree with me and that LG is one of the world’s top three brands of Lithium-Ion battery that people to follow you in your delirium (focused only on your bad personal experiences with LG) who says that LG does not is not reliable and that is why their cells are the least expensive (which is completely wrong in addition).

**** no need to be a rude **** about it lol.

I was saying what happen to me. obviously LG cells are better than cheapo cells not hard to be top 3 when there are only a few players in the game. LG is not a class leading brand by any means also not the worse.

Anecdotes don’t prove much. LG has solid chemistry and QC just like the other big Korean and Japanese li-ion manufacturers.

“LG is not a class leading brand by any means” Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 3920
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Pajda cz wrote:

But back to the LG M29, I started with cycle life few months ago when they appears at Nkon. Right now I have few hundred of cycles under four specific test loads and so far the cycle life looks outstanding. It seems, that it is on a par with the Samsung 29E, which is currently the king of its class (2900mAh, 10A continuous dchg cells)

That sounds interesting. I also like the 29E, it was reviewed long ago at lygte-info.dk (old 2-terminal station review) and I guess it's been evolved.

Do you find the M29 a little bit better than the 29E in discharge performance? Just curious.

This type of cell (long cycle life and 3C/4C maximum discharge ratio) is generally chosen for electric bikes, doesn't it?

Thanks for the interest. Smile 

Innocent

Pajda cz
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2018 - 08:57
Posts: 26
Location: Czech Republic
Barkuti wrote:


That sounds interesting. I also like the 29E, it was reviewed long ago at lygte-info.dk (old 2-terminal station review) and I guess it’s been evolved.


Do you find the M29 a little bit better than the 29E in discharge performance? Just curious.


This type of cell (long cycle life and 3C/4C maximum discharge ratio) is generally chosen for electric bikes, doesn’t it?


Thanks for the interest. Smile 

I am now running this recipes: 0.5C-1C, 1C-1C and 0.5C-3C all at 100% DoD. Other test (with lower DoD) are waiting for free channels on my tester. LG M29 seems to be better than 29E in almost all parameters. But I am still cautious after troubles with its predecessor LG MG1 which cycle life was disaster. The one parameter where the M29 shines above others in its class (Samsung 29E, Pana PF, Sony NC1) is 1C fast charging capability (after 400cycles 1C-1C at 100%DoD it is at 94% of initial capacity).

Yes I suppose that M29 is designed for traction app. I think that LG was aware of shitty cycle life performance of MG1 and so many ebike producers decide to choose Samsung 29E instead in this popular mainstream class of 2900mAh cells. It was surprise for me that LG make this fail in its production line because I have tested before that M26, MH1 and MJ1 and all of them are very good cells.