Flashlight go BOOM ! Switch gone.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1445
Flashlight go BOOM ! Switch gone.

DSCF3398DSCF3393

I was depleting 2nd generation Eneloops. Had the extension tube on. Heard a pop like a cap gun. Noticed my basically new unused Olight S15a go boom. Switch button left for the afterlife. I have read these flashlights are just about impossible to take apart.  Anyone got any experience replacing the button top. Flashlight works fine. I have to check to see if light is older than five years old. 

BlancoFire
BlancoFire's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/19/2018 - 16:32
Posts: 71
Location: United States

Sounds like an internal gas build up from batteries.

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 3755
Location: Ohio

They’re not bad to take apart, the worst part is the pill gets stuck on the switch boot and you have a high probability of ripping the boot on second thought you’re good to go!

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8118
Location: Berkeley, California
Quote:
Ni-MH batteries feature a gas vent that allows the release of hydrogen when the battery is misused. Gas will not be released under normal usage conditions, but hyper-electric discharge or short circuit can cause internal gas pressure to rise and gas to be expelled. This gas contains hydrogen ….

https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/technologies.html

arow55
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 04/24/2015 - 00:02
Posts: 284

Guess that’s why eneloop says not to use in airtight devices. I take o rings out. Try to keep myself and light dry.

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1445

I was completely aware that the flashlight batteries one or both out gassed and caused an internal build up of gas. I do not usually turn on my flashlights on high just to discharge the batteries. But today I have my reasons to act this way. Innocent

Rdubya18
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 227
Location: Ohio
arow55 wrote:
Guess that’s why eneloop says not to use in airtight devices. I take o rings out. Try to keep myself and light dry.

I learn something new everyday here.

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1445

I think playdough or chewing gum placed on the switch will work just fine as a switch cover.
Smile

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1445
Cereal_killer wrote:
They’re not bad to take apart, the worst part is the pill gets stuck on the switch boot and you have a high probability of ripping the boot on second thought you’re good to go!

That sounds like the voice of experience to me. Thumbs Up

264
264's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2011 - 14:52
Posts: 1445
Rdubya18 wrote:
arow55 wrote:
Guess that’s why eneloop says not to use in airtight devices. I take o rings out. Try to keep myself and light dry.

I learn something new everyday here.

The first flashlight to go boom for me was an Armytek partner 2A. Same generation of Eneloops inside I think.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8118
Location: Berkeley, California

I’ve noticed an occasional hiss and smell when opening up a light that had run a while on Eneloops. None of those lights had side switches, so good thing I avoid open flames when checking batteries I guess.

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 474

had this happen once, was a fenix E series with side switch, think it’s only an issue with 2xAA lights and batteries that dont have matching voltage. Think they were early eneloops as well, but it caused a lot of damage and had to toss the light.

Phlogiston
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 10/27/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 778
Location: Scotland

Did that with a Sunwayman V20A once, years ago, by accidentally mixing a charged Eneloop with a discharged one. The discharged one reverse-charged and outgassed, of course.

The switch boot swelled up to the size of a large marble by the time I noticed, but deflated with a high-pitched squeak when I opened the light. The light was completely unaffected by the experience – it became my belt EDC for a while – but the abused cell was a dead loss. Score one for Sunwayman Smile