【convoy】convoy S12 / M21B / M4U

1947 posts / 0 new
Last post
80T
80T's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2019 - 18:11
Posts: 162
Location: Romania/Ireland

I'll take some for myself as well when the link will be up Smile

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 474
Location: China,Dong guan
Lightbringer wrote:
ZozzV6 wrote:
Simon said earlier he want to get rid of knurling on S2+ because it is the reason for a lot of scrapped host. So this will be the new design instead of old knurling.

Hmm, wonder about “pineapple” knurling like on the TK05.

Fewer, wider cuts, probably less scrap.

Which brand does the tk05 model belong to?

80T
80T's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2019 - 18:11
Posts: 162
Location: Romania/Ireland

Thorfire. Also there's other flashlights with the pineapple knurling like the Thrunite Catapult V6, etc.

skinny_tie
skinny_tie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 09/23/2017 - 03:14
Posts: 332
Location: Australia
Simon Mao wrote:
Which brand does the tk05 model belong to?

ThorFire TK05

stephenk
stephenk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 05:09
Posts: 1307
Location: Australia
80T wrote:

Amen to that Smile My favorite UI so far would be the Sofirn C8F, pretty much similar to the olights, at least in ramping mode  which is the only mode I’m using on it since I’ve got it as it’s the most intuitive one, the one mode that made the most sense to me. I have the tail click with mechanical on/off (still has the memory of the last used mode) then the side e-switch click for on/off, hold for ramping, hold from off to moonlight, double click from on/off to turbo and triple click from on/off to strobe (which I could very much do without.. I’d rather have a beacon mode instead of any other disco mode on a light)

My favourite UI was the original version of Biscotti with a 10Hz strobe. Unfortunately the 2nd version had an alternating strobe frequency which killed any sales to light painting photographers.

80T
80T's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2019 - 18:11
Posts: 162
Location: Romania/Ireland

Yes, for a single tail clicky you can't go wrong with Biscotti Smile

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9494
Location: nyc

Simon Mao wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Hmm, wonder about “pineapple” knurling like on the TK05.

Fewer, wider cuts, probably less scrap.

Which brand does the tk05 model belong to?

Thorfire TK05.

Fewer, wider cuts, hopefully much less scrap and discarded tubes.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

adam7027
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2017 - 13:54
Posts: 439
Location: EU (Hu)
Simon Mao wrote:
adam7027 wrote:
Can you give me link for the Clear anodized 18650 C8+ ?

i add link here : clear C8+

Thank you very much! (I like the product images Smile )
Could you please update this page as well to include Clear host option?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Black-Desert-tan-convoy-C8-host...LED-and-driver/330416_32871197026.html

NWoodsman
NWoodsman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/06/2018 - 09:34
Posts: 51

Maybe square/ orthagonal knurling would be a possibility. Seems like it could be simpler than the diagonal knurling.

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 474
Location: China,Dong guan
adam7027 wrote:
Simon Mao wrote:
adam7027 wrote:
Can you give me link for the Clear anodized 18650 C8+ ?

i add link here : clear C8+

Thank you very much! (I like the product images Smile )
Could you please update this page as well to include Clear host option?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Black-Desert-tan-convoy-C8-host...LED-and-driver/330416_32871197026.html

ok now ,i have updated it

Nicolicous
Nicolicous's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 04/16/2016 - 08:28
Posts: 1463
Location: Australia

square knurling like this ?
Smile

Nico -.-

LarryLumens
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 02/21/2019 - 10:27
Posts: 72
Location: USA

Watching thread for any “21700” C8+ and S2+ updates. +1 Biscotti, 10Hz strobe. The C8f ramping UI is amazing.

Give me thrower or give me pizza.

80T
80T's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2019 - 18:11
Posts: 162
Location: Romania/Ireland

Hi Simon. I've a quick one for you, what 3D modeling software are you using in those screenshots with the C8+ 21700 and the S11 ? If it's not a state secret or something Smile

Ryzbor
Ryzbor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2018 - 10:52
Posts: 253
Location: Poland

I don’t really get the point of putting time and effort in developing a premium (super premium in the budget range) product the newer S2+ actually is with quality anodisation in various colours, distinctive grippy knurling, premium emitters like the XPL-HI and SST-20 95CRI, good firmware with LVP, AR coated lens, copper mcpcb and even an elegant button… only to decide to let the status this flashlight has achieved by removing the knurling.

And let’s be honest, the new copper s2+ design looks horribly boring and plain, like a tube with some square grooves in it. And people tend to buy rather good looking things then boring ones. Or just rise the prices slightly.

IMO Simon you are about to make a mistake comparable to Apple removing the headphone jack in their newer iPhones and that it will backfire, but that’s just my opinion.

Nevertheless if you are going on with the plain tube + grooves design you could enhance it a little bit being inspired with similar but more attractive designs. Btw the X3 has a simple form of knurling I see.

virence.com rosy 3500K R9080 Wizard Pro

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 381
ZozzV6 wrote:
Simon said earlier he want to get rid of knurling on S2+ because it is the reason for a lot of scrapped host. So this will be the new design instead of old knurling.

What happens to the “scrapped” hosts? Is it offered in the clearance section?

I really like the current S2+, and now I realize how much more effort Simon takes to put the knurling than any other manufacturer. I haven’t see anything so fine on any other flashlight.

I like the old knurling but if the new knurling means he can still keep his prices at current level and his doors open at the same time, I could live with that.

caramba
caramba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/09/2016 - 14:43
Posts: 381
Inkidu wrote:
Being able to tailstand fairly well is one plus of the 26650 format. Also, has good capacity. Add a plain, robust, inexpensive amc7135 17mm driver and a diffuser and you could have a lantern in the tint of your choice.

I like my 18650 collection. Would I need to upgrade to 26650 batteries, or could I use my good 18650 with a “26650 PVC Heat Shrink Wraps “ or PVC tube or something like that?

LarryLumens
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 02/21/2019 - 10:27
Posts: 72
Location: USA

I am ordering an S2+ with tradition knurling because none of the new ones have the same appeal. Edit:I still want a C8+ “T” with 21700 battery and ramping UI.

Give me thrower or give me pizza.

Marc E
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:14
Posts: 283
Location: South West UK

How about ribs on the S2+, like Lumintop’s Worm and EDC01? I think it would feel very secure in the hand with a smooth feel.

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 474
Location: China,Dong guan
80T wrote:

Hi Simon. I’ve a quick one for you, what 3D modeling software are you using in those screenshots with the C8+ 21700 and the S11 ? If it’s not a state secret or something Smile

mastercam
creo parametric

This is the software used by the host factory, I have no drawing ability.

Inkidu
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 11/01/2015 - 14:03
Posts: 159
Location: PA
caramba wrote:
Inkidu wrote:
Being able to tailstand fairly well is one plus of the 26650 format. Also, has good capacity. Add a plain, robust, inexpensive amc7135 17mm driver and a diffuser and you could have a lantern in the tint of your choice.

I like my 18650 collection. Would I need to upgrade to 26650 batteries, or could I use my good 18650 with a “26650 PVC Heat Shrink Wraps “ or PVC tube or something like that?

These star spacers are what Simon sends with his L2 or L6. They work for 18650 and 21700 shown in a single cell L2 tube for scale. After pouring over HKJ battery reviews even many 18650 batteries are better than the 26650 batteries in many respects. If you ask Simon, he will probably sell you a few. Reading this thread only strengthens my view that he is one of the best sellers out there.

Marc E
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:14
Posts: 283
Location: South West UK

Simon Mao wrote:
Marc E wrote:
Simon,

I ordered a grey S2+ with a 4000K Ra95 SST20 and 4×7135 driver from Banggood and have received an e-mail from them stating:
“We’re sorry to inform you that the preorder for item ID:1420655 [Gray Convoy S2+ SST20 7135*8 7135*6 18650…] was delayed due to the manufacturing process.”

This is the S2+ i ordered.

This is the same product on your website.

Is there a manufacturing issue? I’m asking so i can decide whether to wait or cancel the order and order directly from your site instead.

No any issue with manufacturing,
Thanks for confirming that Smile
oweban
oweban's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 02/12/2019 - 06:34
Posts: 729
Location: Sydney AU

Still really looking forward to the S11… Wink rough idea on time? Another month or two?

Simon Mao
Simon Mao's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/06/2018 - 23:44
Posts: 474
Location: China,Dong guan
oweban wrote:
Still really looking forward to the S11… Wink rough idea on time? Another month or two?
I will get drivers in one week.
oweban
oweban's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 02/12/2019 - 06:34
Posts: 729
Location: Sydney AU

Thanks Simon! Super excited.

Convoylover
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 01/18/2019 - 05:21
Posts: 55
Location: Netherlands

Lightbringer wrote:
Simon Mao wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Hmm, wonder about “pineapple” knurling like on the TK05.

Fewer, wider cuts, probably less scrap.

Which brand does the tk05 model belong to?

Thorfire TK05.

Fewer, wider cuts, hopefully much less scrap and discarded tubes.

No, that’s really ugly!

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3054
Location: US

Glad you have taste Simon. Pineapple knurling looks Sick

Phlogiston
Phlogiston's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 10/27/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 849
Location: Scotland

My first priority for knurling is grippiness.

I have a Convoy X3 on my desk at the moment. Comparing it with an S2+, the X3’s knurling is much grippier and still looks good. I vote for X3-style knurling on future lights.

The S2+ with Biscotti and 4000K 95CRI SST20 LED is really nice, by the way. It’s my belt EDC now Smile

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1280
Location: France

I much prefer the first Simon’s idea over any big shape (square, diamond, whatever) knurlings that are horrendous (to me) :

Simon Mao wrote:
…[cut]…
I don’t meant to make a smooth surface.
I just want to change a style, on the one hand, it will improve the product yield, on the other hand, keep the original feel of grip.
For example, I can change it to the following

hodor
hodor's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 558
Location: UK

Tally-ho wrote:
I much prefer the first Simon’s idea over any big shape (square, diamond, whatever) knurlings that are horrendous (to me) :

Simon Mao wrote:
…[cut]…
I don’t meant to make a smooth surface.
I just want to change a style, on the one hand, it will improve the product yield, on the other hand, keep the original feel of grip.
For example, I can change it to the following

Snap Thumbs Up

Convoylover
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 01/18/2019 - 05:21
Posts: 55
Location: Netherlands

hodor wrote:
Tally-ho wrote:
I much prefer the first Simon’s idea over any big shape (square, diamond, whatever) knurlings that are horrendous (to me) :

Simon Mao wrote:
…[cut]…
I don’t meant to make a smooth surface.
I just want to change a style, on the one hand, it will improve the product yield, on the other hand, keep the original feel of grip.
For example, I can change it to the following

-

Snap Thumbs Up

Agree, that is a tasteful knurling to me

Pages