Headband Magnifiers / Loupes

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk
Headband Magnifiers / Loupes

As I’m getting older I find my eyesight slowly fading and tiny things I used to be able to see are now out of focus, I have glasses for this obviously but it doesn’t help with close up stuff.
I have been looking at headband magnifiers, there are loads, some with eyeglasses/loupes for very close up and others with plasic lenses on, 5 strength lenses supplied with various magnifications as below photo..
Some are huge and I wouldn’t appreciate wearing them, but I found this type – I wondered, any of you guys used these one, or what ones would you recommend, nothing too pricey! This one is around £7 on ebay.

Edited by: G0OSE on 01/09/2019 - 10:25
PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 715
Location: Rochester, NY

I bought an inexpensive set of magnifiers that clips onto my glasses. I use it mainly for soldering close up work. It sucks getting older and having your near vision go to pot. Before I got them I would take a macro picture of the solder connection, memorize the spot where I need to hit with the iron and have at it. NOT the best way to do detail work!

The ones I got (https://www.banggood.com/Folding-Eyeglass-Clip-On-Flip-Loupe-Magnifying-...) are a bit heavy and you might need a pair of well-fitting glasses, but they really work well for getting up close.

ActiveAl
ActiveAl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 03/27/2018 - 03:14
Posts: 393
Location: Central Florida

Goose, FWIW this product on Amazon.com appears to be the same or very similar to the one you are considering - and it has good review. It may be interesting to read over them.  

G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk

ActiveAl wrote:

Goose, FWIW this product on Amazon.com appears to be the same or very similar to the one you are considering – and it has good review. It may be interesting to read over them.  


Thanks for that, I never thought to look on Amazon! Yes it does get some really good reviews, maybe I’ll do one for on here when it arrives.
TheOnlyDocc
TheOnlyDocc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 06/26/2015 - 05:17
Posts: 580
Location: Mönchengladbach /Germany

The one thing you should think of when buying, is that this assembly on your head has some weight.
I bought one that was build like the one you posted in the past. But everytime i was looking down it was slipping.
Now i have one with a band arround my head. It sits more stable and after modding it it is working nice. I put a different kind of led in it (stronger and better color) and put some real soft natural leather (as a sweat absorber) in it.
The one i have is not exactly this one but it is close. It also has different lenses that can be used.
https://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Headband-Magnifying-Glass-Magnifier/dp/B0...
But there are some newer ones that are better build now. With light, lenses that can be changed and a headband that holds the light where it has to sit.

BLF D 80 LT and Longer D80 Tubes for Sale http://budgetlightforum.com/node/62463

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 1569
Location: Iowa

Right now I use a Magnifier on my 3rd hand. It works , but I have been looking for something that goes on head and I could flip down and flip up easily.

The one in the OP seams to do this. And the similar one linked on Amazon.
I noticed it didn’t show it on any ones head???

It looks like there is a lot of weight out front of the nose gaurd.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5724
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

I have a couple of reading glasses.
When things are really tiny i put one over the other.

2Q19

woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 75
Location: NY

The one that Docc linked to Amazon is just like the one I have and its very nice, I think you will like it. I hadn’t used it in a while but did about two weeks ago and forgot how nice it is to have around.

woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 75
Location: NY

update. Here is the one I have. Got it on Amazon too.

SE MH1047L Illuminated Dual Lens Flip-In Head Magnifier

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCODIA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_titl...

Igor
Igor's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 08/24/2018 - 17:14
Posts: 13
Location: Germany

I use the good old famous Optivisor. Quality is top notch, although more expensive.

The darkness is afraid of us.
Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 1569
Location: Iowa

woodyt wrote:
update. Here is the one I have. Got it on Amazon too.

SE MH1047L Illuminated Dual Lens Flip-In Head Magnifier

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCODIA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_titl...

I remember my grandpa having one like this.

How does it feel on your head? Heavy ?>

woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 75
Location: NY

It has enough weight so it stays put, but not too heavy. The light also comes in handy. If you don’t use this thing daily it fits the bill.

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 1569
Location: Iowa

I think I am gonna add it to my next order.

Can you guess if the smaller lens out front can be switched to other eye?
woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 75
Location: NY

Looks like it can, just have to switch a screw out from the other side and screw the loupe over. I think its pretty easy to do that. There are 4 screws that hold the one frame on and the loupe takes the place of one of those screws, so just switch it around. Hard to beat for 10.00 and change. I paid 8.00 a while back but still a good deal.

G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk

Well I just won the auction for the one in my OP so when it comes I’ll do a small review.

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 1569
Location: Iowa

Cool, I been on Amazon last couple hours researching, I did find some photos of them on the head, there worn more like glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742CJJM9/ref=psdc_3776271_t2_B071GWM9QN

And somehow I ended up at this link

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Anti-Static-Stainless-Electronics-Labor...

woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 75
Location: NY

I look forward to the review.

G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk

chadvone wrote:
Cool, I been on Amazon last couple hours researching, I did find some photos of them on the head, there worn more like glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742CJJM9/ref=psdc_3776271_t2_B071GWM9QN

And somehow I ended up at this link

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Anti-Static-Stainless-Electronics-Labor...

They look like they’ll be quite comfortable, and if it does get a bit heavy after a while you can always add the elastic headband to take a little of the strain off the nose piece.
Next thing may be modding the led’s on it Evil you never know it may be bright enough though!

vwpieces
vwpieces's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2016 - 19:49
Posts: 2110
Location: PA, USA

LOL, MtnE now carries some high CRI 5mm LEDs.
Something to ad to cart for for a future order.
Want some for upgrades like this.

G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk

Firstly I’m not much of a reviewer, I did start to take photo’s for you all, but there would be loads, so I decided the one in the OP would suffice! (sorry) I’m sure you guys can see what I mean from that.

Well, mine arrived today. I am really impressed with it and it is far better than I expected it to be.
Wear wise I was concerned it may be too heavy with 3x aaa batteries inside it, well it is a little heavy in your hand but once on your head that weight is not an issue thanks to the superb fit and the grip of the arms.
The nosepiece is bendable to the shape/size of your nose and I didn’t notice any of that weight really sitting on my nose bridge, the arms do such a good job. Apparently the batteries last for 20 hours!
Adjustment wise these are fantastic, firstly there is adjustment of angle on the top part (where the crosshead screw is in photo), then the part that holds the lenses (where they clip in) adjusts to different angles too – it also slides forwards and backwards.
The led lights are 3mm x 2 and are quite a cool tint, but I would say they are plenty bright enough for any use I can think of, the whole led light part of it also adjusts for different angles so you can shine it better on to your job.
The lenses supplied are 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x and 3.5x and are nice and wide – they fit in and out really easily and considering they are plastic they are really crisp. They come supplied with a sturdy box which I would recommend keeping them in as they could be easily scratched no doubt. It does say they have been treated/hardened to H5 so that should help protect them.
They also come with an elastic headband that replaces the arms which just unclip from the body, I can’t see me needing this but if you did , then it’s there – they grip so well with the arms, unless you intended to use them on a parachute jump, I can’t imagine them falling off, they really fit that well!
Overall I would definitely recommend these, the sheer range of adjustment means they should fit anyone for most purposes and the optics are really good, these will help me a lot!
I did read on the box these are the second version, so if you are thinking of getting some make sure they are the same as the photo above (with nose cut out) – the only differences I can see is the other v1 ones I saw on ebay have a rectangular lens, not sculpted (with nose cut out) I guess they changed this because it was hitting peoples noses and would have limited the adjustment of angles, it also says the battery life is longer. Other than they they look identical.
For just a shade over £7 delivered (around $10) I am amazed, I would have happily paid double that. If you were thinking about getting some, just get them, you won’t be disappointed!

woodyt
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2018 - 17:22
Posts: 75
Location: NY

Nice review . Thanks

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 14100
Location: Amsterdam

I had magnifying glasses like yours and they work very well, but nowadays I tend to just use cheap plastic +4 reading glasses instead (being spotted with the magnifying contraption may well be followed by many weeks of celibacy) , I even ordered +5.5 last week to see if I can get even closer without loosing comfort.

chadvone
chadvone's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 23:48
Posts: 1569
Location: Iowa

Thanks Goose.

G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk
djozz wrote:
(being spotted with the magnifying contraption may well be followed by many weeks of celibacy).

Haha! that made me chuckle! You never know though, maybe I’ll try it out tonight lol, after all it does have lights!

SIGShooter
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 38 min ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 02:10
Posts: 1171
Location: northern california

G0OSE wrote:
Firstly I’m not much of a reviewer, I did start to take photo’s for you all, but there would be loads, so I decided the one in the OP would suffice! (sorry) I’m sure you guys can see what I mean from that.

Well, mine arrived today. I am really impressed with it and it is far better than I expected it to be.
Wear wise I was concerned it may be too heavy with 3x aaa batteries inside it, well it is a little heavy in your hand but once on your head that weight is not an issue thanks to the superb fit and the grip of the arms.
The nosepiece is bendable to the shape/size of your nose and I didn’t notice any of that weight really sitting on my nose bridge, the arms do such a good job. Apparently the batteries last for 20 hours!
Adjustment wise these are fantastic, firstly there is adjustment of angle on the top part (where the crosshead screw is in photo), then the part that holds the lenses (where they clip in) adjusts to different angles too – it also slides forwards and backwards.
The led lights are 3mm x 2 and are quite a cool tint, but I would say they are plenty bright enough for any use I can think of, the whole led light part of it also adjusts for different angles so you can shine it better on to your job.
The lenses supplied are 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x and 3.5x and are nice and wide – they fit in and out really easily and considering they are plastic they are really crisp. They come supplied with a sturdy box which I would recommend keeping them in as they could be easily scratched no doubt. It does say they have been treated/hardened to H5 so that should help protect them.
They also come with an elastic headband that replaces the arms which just unclip from the body, I can’t see me needing this but if you did , then it’s there – they grip so well with the arms, unless you intended to use them on a parachute jump, I can’t imagine them falling off, they really fit that well!
Overall I would definitely recommend these, the sheer range of adjustment means they should fit anyone for most purposes and the optics are really good, these will help me a lot!
I did read on the box these are the second version, so if you are thinking of getting some make sure they are the same as the photo above (with nose cut out) – the only differences I can see is the other v1 ones I saw on ebay have a rectangular lens, not sculpted (with nose cut out) I guess they changed this because it was hitting peoples noses and would have limited the adjustment of angles, it also says the battery life is longer. Other than they they look identical.
For just a shade over £7 delivered (around $10) I am amazed, I would have happily paid double that. If you were thinking about getting some, just get them, you won’t be disappointed!
I have one arriving today and will post my opinion of it afterwards. Hopefully it will allow me to see what I’m trying to solder. Right now I’m just guessing on small objects Silly
G0OSE
G0OSE's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/03/2014 - 12:34
Posts: 589
Location: uk
SIGShooter wrote:
I have one arriving today and will post my opinion of it afterwards. Hopefully it will allow me to see what I’m trying to solder. Right now I’m just guessing on small objects Silly

They will be great for that, it is the exact reason I bought them. I needed to solder a wire back onto and rgb driver that is 16mm, so pretty small – job done!

Freedom
Freedom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2016 - 04:18
Posts: 239

Thanks here as well (ordered); looks like a great solution for who-knows-what-to-come…or we already know ‘what’. Wink

Domari Nolo “I Refuse to be Subjugated” (1st Pennsylvania Regiment Flag) https://www.1stcontinentalregiment.org/blank
(Flagguys.com):..and man o man did they ever refuse to be subjugated. These guys were everywhere. They were important in Washington’s siege of Boston. They stayed behind and were the last to leave after covering the main army’s dangerous nick of time retreat from Long Island. They crossed the Delaware with Washington. They were “..at Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, and every major skirmish, and battle all the way to Yorktown..” where they fought “the most important part of the siege” according to General Steuben. These guys saw action in every one of the original 13 colonies.