Lumintop GT4

919 posts / 0 new
Last post
Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8639
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
JasonWW wrote:
Could you just use the stock battery carriers if you wire the 4 3v leds in series?

Yes, that is the plan for the GT4 and why I think the GT4 is a better candidate then the GT for the SBT-90. (they took my suggestion and started working on a GT with the SBT-90 at one point).

For Tom like he said, he only has a GT to work with.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 322

This light would be the 1st of its kind with 4 SBT-90.2s in it. It would be a beast. So far from what TA has said, the passive cooling on the gt4 could run 4 xhp70.2s until cells depleted. I don’t know what the heat difference is between xhp70.2s and SBT-90.2s but I would think it would give a good runtime given the amount of power, while also not sounding like a blowdryer. And with 4 emitters and deeper reflectors, it would also outthrow the Imalent R90ts as well would it not?

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

Mind….BLOWN
dang dang how cool

F.i.l.a.s
F.i.l.a.s's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 11/22/2015 - 20:10
Posts: 143
Location: Prague

The Miller is back, nice to see you here again Wink

JorisFRST
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 06/22/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 93
Location: Belgium

How did I miss this thread ? awesome light.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 322

Eta? Updates? Anything?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8639
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Nothing, I am guessing they are working on other things for the holidays and I would not expect any updates until next year at the earliest at this point.

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8001
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

they are preparing for production 

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

BIG THANKS for helping me by using my REFLinks

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16429
Location: Amsterdam

of course now we want to know more. Cool

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8001
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

I also just get bits Sad

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

BIG THANKS for helping me by using my REFLinks

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 322

Have they confirmed they are going with the XHP70.2 or is there a chance they will go with the SBT-90.2?

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 322

I wonder what will happen with this project now that it’s been announced Lumintop will bring the original Blf Gt back with the upgraded sbt-90.2 led?

Coyotehawk
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/24/2017 - 12:12
Posts: 147
Location: Kansas

I’d like to see if proceed as planned because they are two completely different lights with two completely different purposes.

Now, if they replace the four 70.2’s with four 90.2’s, then I wouldn’t mind so much. That would be a mind blowing light.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8639
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Coyotehawk wrote:
I’d like to see if proceed as planned because they are two completely different lights with two completely different purposes.

Now, if they replace the four 70.2’s with four 90.2’s, then I wouldn’t mind so much. That would be a mind blowing light.

This is the idea I pitched to start with then they came back months later with it in the GT instead. Looks like the “gt90” is what they are focusing on for the foreseeable future.

Dennis C.
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2019 - 22:41
Posts: 34
Location: Canada

It’s probably cheaper, easier, and faster to put the 90.2 in the already in production GT body than it is to design and setup manufacturing for the new GT4 body. A light that throws 1Km+ is neat, but I live in a city so it’s not something I have much use for, the floodier GT4 would offer a more useful (for me) balance of flood and throw.

Coyotehawk
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 11/24/2017 - 12:12
Posts: 147
Location: Kansas
Dennis C. wrote:
It’s probably cheaper, easier, and faster to put the 90.2 in the already in production GT body than it is to design and setup manufacturing for the new GT4 body. A light that throws 1Km+ is neat, but I live in a city so it’s not something I have much use for, the floodier GT4 would offer a more useful (for me) balance of flood and throw.

Might be cheaper going that route, but, like the OG GT was when it was released, four 90.2s in one light would be ground breaking in and of itself. So I think the demand would be pretty high even with a higher price tag. I’m no billionaire but when the bug bites, you’re gonna buy.

In essence, the reward would be worth their cost.

Dennis C.
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2019 - 22:41
Posts: 34
Location: Canada

I’m hoping it’s a case of GT90 getting to market faster with the GT4 following on when it’s ready.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 322

I’m just wondering if the price difference between the xhp70.2 and the sbt90.2 will be worth it. From my understanding the sbt90.2 is around $50 per led. Both LED’s produce around 5k lumens. Will the sbt90.2 be that much better than a dedomed xhp70.2?

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16429
Location: Amsterdam

California_Prepper wrote:
I’m just wondering if the price difference between the xhp70.2 and the sbt90.2 will be worth it. From my understanding the sbt90.2 is around $50 per led. Both LED’s produce around 5k lumens. Will the sbt90.2 be that much better than a dedomed xhp70.2?

You pay for throw, which, if expressed in candela of the hotspot, is directly proportional to the die surface area. The SBT90.2 has a die size of 9mm2 and produces no darker center in the beam and XHP70.2 has a die size of 16mm2 (1.8 times bigger so at the same output 1.8 times less candela in your spot) and has a slightly darker center in the hotspot. The XHP70.2 can probably be driven to a bit higher lumens than the SBT90.2 but it will never get its throw.
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5384
Location: Ślōnsk

djozz wrote:
California_Prepper wrote:
I’m just wondering if the price difference between the xhp70.2 and the sbt90.2 will be worth it. From my understanding the sbt90.2 is around $50 per led. Both LED’s produce around 5k lumens. Will the sbt90.2 be that much better than a dedomed xhp70.2?

You pay for throw, which, if expressed in candela of the hotspot, is directly proportional to the die surface area. The SBT90.2 has a die size of 9mm2 and produces no darker center in the beam and XHP70.2 has a die size of 16mm2 (1.8 times bigger) and has a slightly darker center in the hotspot. The XHP70.2 can probably be driven to a bit higher lumens than the SBT90.2 but it will never get its throw.

Also, XHP70.2 has a dome which pretty much halves surface luminosity by doubling apparent die size. And it’s a flip chip.

These are really a different league….

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16429
Location: Amsterdam

Forgot the effect of the dome, thanks for the addition Agro. So roughly three times the throw?

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5384
Location: Ślōnsk

Yeah, very roughly 3 times throw intensity.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2374
Location: Sweden

wont 4 sbt90.2 emitters make this a very expensive light vs the xhp70.2 ?’

they should offer both options imo.

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Theodore41
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/20/2016 - 12:57
Posts: 1005
Location: Athens Greece.

mortuus wrote:
wont 4 sbt90.2 emitters make this a very expensive light vs the xhp70.2 ?’

they should offer both options imo.


Amen brother. Smile
keithd
keithd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 04/12/2014 - 00:35
Posts: 798

Is there an official sign-up/interest list?

I’d be up for an XHP70.2 variant myself, but interested in whatever comes out.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8639
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Not yet since it has not even been confirmed that they are making it.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20560
Location: Heart of Texas

Given that the 90.2 takes some 20A plus to really make the difference, how are they going to pump more than 80A through the carriers?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 6 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12148
Location: Houston Texas

Hey, it’s only 40A per carrier and 10A per 18650. It’s probably the spring loaded button on each carrier end that is the weak link.

If Lumintop is making the mcpcb they could also go 4S. So kinda like the 4S die of the 70.2, but instead of 9A they would need double, so about 18-20A.

It seems a bit extreme.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8639
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
DB Custom wrote:
Given that the 90.2 takes some 20A plus to really make the difference, how are they going to pump more than 80A through the carriers?

They would be run in series, so it would only need the 20-30A to power them all at 4S voltages.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 322

I should have bought the damn prototype lol

Pages