Review: Lumintop EDC01 (+ worm and tool)

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lumeniac
Lumeniac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 605
Location: Russia
Review: Lumintop EDC01 (+ worm and tool)

You can treat the full-sized Lumintop flashlights differently (although, to be fair, their recent models are a way better than they were a couple of years ago), but they make awesome small flashlights. I reviewed absolutely all of them, some of them are just amazing from the standpoint of design. And, in my opinion, Worm and Tool have been the most popular AAA keyboards for several years.
 
And Lumintop rolled out another new product – EDC01. It differs from previous models by the presence of TIR optics. I just have all the other models, so will compare them.

OFFICIAL PAGE

in the official store on Ali, you can buy EDC01 WORM TOOL TOOL TI. The latest model is made in titanium and looks amazing




specifications

Uses CREE XP-G3 (R5) LED with 50,000 hours of life.
3 useful modes with max 110 lumen output and up to 36 hours of battery life
Powered by one always-available AAA Ni-MH or alkaline battery
Dimensions: 66 * 14.5 MM, N.W .: 12 g (without battery), compact and lightweight design, easy to carry
Five colors to choose from: black, blue, pink, purple and golden yellow
High-performance digital ADJUSTABLE CIRCUIT maintains constant brightness
Optical lens for soft and balancing beam
Glow in the dark front o-rings around the lens easily capture light in the dark
Simplifies the jog dial, making it easier to access all modes
Able to stand on a flat surface to serve as a candle
Made of aviation aluminum alloy with wear-resistant paint.
IP68 protection rating, impact resistance up to 1.5 m
5 years free repair, limited lifetime warranty
 

Package and appearance.
 

The keylight is packed in a white cardboard box. The whole set is inside, in the foam rubber box: flashlight, diffuser, carabiner, a pair of sealing rings. Though there are no any designer finds, but it looks moderately neat.


 And here is the keylight itself. You can also evaluate its modest size. Due to the wavy shape, the grip of the flashlight is reliable and convenient.


Well, here are fellows. As you can see, by and large, they are all the same in size. Immediately it is clear that the EDC01 is almost the same in appearance as the golden Worm and is much shorter than the one having the tail button.

reflectors are different



From the side of the head, of course, the contact plate.

Spring at tailcap

Good machinizing, The threads are well lubricated.

 

You can put diffusor on, if you need. I feel that is more decorative feature rahter than functional, but…well, there are different situations and it can be used as a night light in a tent.

In general, like other Lumintop keylights, this one looks quite good.

UI

standard , just twist head and move through low-mid-high

 

Flashlight performance
 

Cool white light. For a keylight, this is not critical at all, in my opinion. There is no visible PWM shimmering.

here you have comparison of the whole get-together. the difference is clear – due to TIR optics, EDC01rved flashlight gives a wide diffused light, which is very convenient near. It and the others are quite convenient, with such a shallow reflector, but everything is completely flooded.


In the case of a decent battery (and here I have Fujitsu 900mah, analogs of black Eneloops), it seems like they have the same cell), the stabilization in high is amazing. I really expected way worse chart, with rapid descend. So you have quite bright and long lasting mode here. Well, mid, though not particularly impressive in brightness, but it gives 4 hours. Again, it is possible to hang with a diffuser somewhere like a night light.

How does it shine? Well, not bad. In the room it is enough for the eyes, even here the Mid will be far from useless.

here’s for comparing high for all four keyboards presented.

Well, EDC01 itself in Low \ Mid \ high



Lumintop EDC01 will give some light outdoor , but you need to understand that other models with a reflector will be preferable here, when you need to shine through the surrounding bushes. Here with EDC01 the light will be fundamentally different. And mid there will not be so impressive here. However, at maximum brightness, this baby will be quite consistent in the 15-20m range. See for yourself.



OVERALL IMPRESSIONS 

In my opinion, this is some kind of Worm, in which Lumintop put I opTIR optics instead of a reflector. The design is in fact the same. However, it is good – because everyone can pick up the light and control for themselves. Who needs the tail button, he takes the Tool. Who traditionally turns the head, chooses between edc01 \ worm.. Connoisseurs of beauty can generally take Lumintop Ant or HL AAA or Tool Ti.

In short, I can not fault the model. For the keylight, everything is as it should be. There is enough light. Grip and design are comfortable. All this Lumintop have been debugging for a long time, I repeat – Tool and Worm worth their popularity. If only it would be nice to add a version with a Nichia, many people here would give up a couple dozen lumens for the sake of good light.

Edited by: Lumeniac on 03/04/2019 - 11:51
LTVictor
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 12/19/2017 - 20:38
Posts: 21

Nice pictures and beam shots, thanks for the review! Thumbs Up

Marc E
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:14
Posts: 428
Location: South West UK

My first experience of an EDC01 was when trying to find a quickly available keyring torch for a friend who was going travelling, bought an EDC01 to try and was so impressed i didn’t hesitate in giving it to her, and then bought a couple more for myself!
I have a copper Tool as well and pretty much agree with your review. I guess the pebbled TIR is to smooth out the XP-G3’s artifacts/tint shift so with a different emitter one could use a slightly throwier, clear TIR. I really like the way it feels in the hand, the ribbed design works well. I have the pink, purple and black versions and i think the pink is the best, i normally dislike pink lights but this one is just classy. Definitely a gifter.

And now you’ve made me aware of it i want that Tool Ti. One more for my list of lights to resist buying, goes in pretty near the top! Big Smile

LTVictor
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 12/19/2017 - 20:38
Posts: 21

Marc E wrote:
My first experience of an EDC01 was when trying to find a quickly available keyring torch for a friend who was going travelling, bought an EDC01 to try and was so impressed i didn’t hesitate in giving it to her, and then bought a couple more for myself!
I have a copper Tool as well and pretty much agree with your review. I guess the pebbled TIR is to smooth out the XP-G3’s artifacts/tint shift so with a different emitter one could use a slightly throwier, clear TIR. I really like the way it feels in the hand, the ribbed design works well. I have the pink, purple and black versions and i think the pink is the best, i normally dislike pink lights but this one is just classy. Definitely a gifter.

And now you’ve made me aware of it i want that Tool Ti. One more for my list of lights to resist buying, goes in pretty near the top! Big Smile


My pink edc01 was gifted to my daughter, she likes it. And I keep the black one in my backpack as well. Big Smile
-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2731
Location: France, Angers

Is an emitter swap easy on this model ?
I’d guess it’s an all-in-one pcb, so hot air might be mandatory ?

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 207
Location: South Carolina

I just received a AAA Tool with the TIR optic. So if anyone is looking to buy a AAA Tool, you may end up with the TIR.

Marc E
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:14
Posts: 428
Location: South West UK

LTVictor wrote:
My pink edc01 was gifted to my daughter, she likes it. And I keep the black one in my backpack as well. Big Smile
Nice! Thumbs Up

X3 wrote:
Is an emitter swap easy on this model ?
I’d guess it’s an all-in-one pcb, so hot air might be mandatory ?
No Facepalm

Thought i was in luck but didn’t notice the driver was just spinning all by itself until it was too late. Live’n‘learn.
That pill won’t budge with tweezers, circlip pliers are just too big to fit so will need to fashion a tool and hope the pill’s just tight and not glued. Although if it is glued and the glue can be undone (no idea how) there’s a sliiiight chance it will become loose enough to unscrew with the driver in place.

jasontheguitarist wrote:
I just received a AAA Tool with the TIR optic. So if anyone is looking to buy a AAA Tool, you may end up with the TIR.
I didn’t know the Tool was available with a TIR, i’ll keep an eye out for that, thanks for the heads up!
KeepingItLight
KeepingItLight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 06/15/2015 - 14:52
Posts: 678
Location: California

Thanks for a great review.

I've been carrying the Astrolux A01 ever since it came out. I love the light produced by its NW, high-CRI Nichia LED. Your pic of the A01 beam shows off its excellent color rendering. Your pic also clearly show that the A01 has a tighter hot spot than the Lumintop EDC01. For me, that's a negative. I like the wide beam on the EDC01.

So, if you pop a Nichia into the EDC01, I'd like it better than my A01. That's high praise!

 

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2731
Location: France, Angers

Marc E wrote:
LTVictor wrote:
My pink edc01 was gifted to my daughter, she likes it. And I keep the black one in my backpack as well. Big Smile
Nice! Thumbs Up

X3 wrote:
Is an emitter swap easy on this model ?
I’d guess it’s an all-in-one pcb, so hot air might be mandatory ?
No Facepalm

Thought i was in luck but didn’t notice the driver was just spinning all by itself until it was too late. Live’n‘learn.
That pill won’t budge with tweezers, circlip pliers are just too big to fit so will need to fashion a tool and hope the pill’s just tight and not glued. Although if it is glued and the glue can be undone (no idea how) there’s a sliiiight chance it will become loose enough to unscrew with the driver in place.

jasontheguitarist wrote:
I just received a AAA Tool with the TIR optic. So if anyone is looking to buy a AAA Tool, you may end up with the TIR.
I didn’t know the Tool was available with a TIR, i’ll keep an eye out for that, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for your sacrifice, it seems a LED swap will be possible because it’s on a dedicated PCB
The Olight I3E is a bit more compact and the Luxeon LED is directly soldered on the driver PCB

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

Hellie112
Hellie112's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:48
Posts: 109
Location: The Netherlands

Maybe I was lucky, but I did yesterday a led swap. Pill was easily removed by tweezers.. Nothing was glued.

travis
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 1008
Location: SoCal

is there any current source for the Copper Worm?

“"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.””
-George Washington

Marc E
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:14
Posts: 428
Location: South West UK

X3 wrote:
Thanks for your sacrifice, it seems a LED swap will be possible because it’s on a dedicated PCB
The Olight I3E is a bit more compact and the Luxeon LED is directly soldered on the driver PCB
No worries, i saw an image somewhere that showed it had a pill and bought a handful as gifts with the intention of changing the LED in a couple anyway, so need to figure it out. Will be trying Barkuti’s suggestion of white spirit next to dissolve the glue.
Hellie112 wrote:
Maybe I was lucky, but I did yesterday a led swap. Pill was easily removed by tweezers.. Nothing was glued.
Well, i just don’t see how we can be friends anymore! Big Smile What did you put in it?
I tried 3 EDC01s that are all glued, as well as my copper Tool.
Hellie112
Hellie112's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:48
Posts: 109
Location: The Netherlands

Haha, I order mine in January at Banggood with fin17’s code (2 for $12.05). Put in a cheap xp-g3 7b from Fasttech in it. Although I looks more like an 7A…. Did a reflow onto the original pcb. The pcb is 10mm in diameter.

Haven’t opened the second one because I’m still waiting for extra leds to arrive.

bidas
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 117
Location: Portugal
X3 wrote:
Is an emitter swap easy on this model ? I’d guess it’s an all-in-one pcb, so hot air might be mandatory ?

It’s easily swapped, i have one with a sst-20 4000k 95cri. Just unsoldered the xp-g3 and used the same pcb for the sst-20. Love the result.
I have another one in the box but have not decided what led to put in.

Ilumenati
Ilumenati's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 05:22
Posts: 139
Location: Pac NW

Bidas can you post a beamshot?

I have the EDC01 and like the form factor but hate the cool white beam, the SST-20 4000k seems to be perfect.

I am thinking of doing the swap but this will be my first attempt at a swap. If you have any specific advice for this light I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Macka17
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/08/2017 - 02:31
Posts: 1025
Location: Queensland Australia

Haven’t got an EDCO1.
But my BLF 348. and early Astrolux AO1 are pretty similar,
with the Nichia giving nicer colour.
The O-Light I3T EOS Copper is “slightly” stronger max beam
All running 10440 Li Po Battery.
The later model Astrolux and Singfire 348 (give aways-AAA Cells))
are not so well finished but equal output.
PS. The AO1 has a slightly tighter beam. BUT nice spread around it.
so I find it the better light of mine to use.
Colour is everything.

bidas
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 117
Location: Portugal

I only have this one taken with the phone:
EDC01 original vs SST-20 4000k
https://imgur.com/a/FdUbMFM

I’m not a “Pro” but with one tweezer, some kind of soldering helping hand to hold the LED board without burning your fingers, put your soldering iron underneath the board not to hot or if you have a unregulated iron do the things quick!!! Or else you will melt the LED copula/lens. Than i use the tweezer to take the old LED and put the new one. But can be done other ways.
I saw some YouTube video that use a frying pan to heat up the board!

Ilumenati wrote:
Bidas can you post a beamshot?

I have the EDC01 and like the form factor but hate the cool white beam, the SST-20 4000k seems to be perfect.

I am thinking of doing the swap but this will be my first attempt at a swap. If you have any specific advice for this light I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

bidas
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 117
Location: Portugal

I have all that flashlights(except the singfire)but I don’t have a picture all together. And this weekend will be problematic to take one.
The Nichia ones that I have are the latter ones, meaning with 219C not the 219B. I don’t have any 10440 cell so… Even with AAA’s the olight on max will get hot quick and will drain the cell also quick Big Smile

Macka17 wrote:
Haven’t got an EDCO1. But my BLF 348. and early Astrolux AO1 are pretty similar, with the Nichia giving nicer colour. The O-Light I3T EOS Copper is “slightly” stronger max beam All running 10440 Li Po Battery. The later model Astrolux and Singfire 348 (give aways-AAA Cells)) are not so well finished but equal output. PS. The AO1 has a slightly tighter beam. BUT nice spread around it. so I find it the better light of mine to use. Colour is everything.
Ilumenati
Ilumenati's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 05:22
Posts: 139
Location: Pac NW

Thanks bidas great pics,

I’ll give it a try, I’ve got a regulated Weller and just purchased a set of Quadhands for a helping hand so it should work. If it looks tough maybe I can try an old frying pan with solder paste and using my IR temperature gun.

My thinking is that it will be better to try this on a less expensive flashlight first and this one is crying out for an LED upgrade.

bidas
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 117
Location: Portugal

Yes, is a good thinking, my first try was with some cheap ebay LEDs.

Ilumenati wrote:

My thinking is that it will be better to try this on a less expensive flashlight first and this one is crying out for an LED upgrade.